Mixed Bag In Danish Market’s First Quarter Results

By Brian Cullingworth, Last updated Jul 26, 2017

But online casino delivers double figure growth in GGR year-on-year

Denmark’s gambling regulator, Spillemyndigheden has released first quarter 2017 results buoyed by a good performance from the regulated online casino sector.

Combined gross gaming revenues (GGR) for the four sectors, namely; betting, online casinos, land-based casinos and prize-giving gaming machines were DKK 1,395 million, down from Q1/2016’s DKK 1,416 million.

GGR for the online casino market increased by DKK 39 million year-on-year and DKK 163 million since Q1/2014.  The online casino market saw marginal growth of 0.9 percent in GGR relative to the previous quarter but 10.2 percent year-on-year.

The growth rate for quarterly GGR has been outstripped by the growth rate in stakes.  In the first quarter of 2014, approximately DKK 5.1 billion was placed in online casinos with DKK 4.9 billion in prizes. In comparison, in the first quarter of 2017, nearly DKK 10.3 billion was placed, with DKK 9.9 billion in winnings, a 101.4 percent increase.

Online slots were the most popular type of casino game over the past twelve months, with a market share of 67.1 percent. Blackjack and roulette accounted for 8.6 percent and 8.1 percent of the market respectively, with other gaming forms accounting for 16.0 percent.

79.6 percent of total online casino revenues were generated through the web channel, and the remaining 20.4 percent from mobile.

The mobile channel continues its upward trajectory, with an increase in the monthly value of stakes placed over the past year of 54.4 percent between April 2016 and March 2017.

In terms of sports betting total gross gaming revenues, the first quarter in 2017 has seen a slight downward trend to reach DKK 517,2 million (Q1/2016: DKK 565,4 million). Total stakes reached DKK 5.3 billion (Q1/2016: DKK 4.4 billion).

GGR from the Gaming machine sector was flat while land-based casinos were slightly down year-on-year.

In conclusion, Spillemyndigheden reported on its ROFUS gambling self-exclusion register, saying registrations averaged around 200 to 300 per month.

Brian Cullingworth

Infopowa news was a staple of Casinomeister’s news from 2000 until 2019. Brian Cullingworth was the main writer, contributor, and was one of the most knowledgeable persons I have ever known involved in the online casino industry.

We first met in January 2001 at the ICE in London where I observed him going booth to booth interviewing online casino, software, and licensing jurisdiction representatives. Brian was also heavily involved with our forum as “Jetset“, he was involved as an informal consultant to eCOGRA, the OPA, and was a player advocate who assisted countless aggrieved players with his connections to industry folks. He also published “Casino Cautions” via Infopowa news for quite a number of years. These can be found in our news archives.

His passing in February 2019 was a dark day for us. He will be forever missed.

CasinoMeister heart Top 5 casinos


325% Slots Bonus on 1st, 2nd and 3rd Deposit

3Dice Casino

110% up to $110 Welcome Bonus


300% Slots Bonus up to $3,000 on 1st, 2nd and 3rd Deposits

Roaring 21 Casino

400% up to $4,000 + 100 Free Spins Welcome Bonus Package