Question What slot features do you hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Features that seems to start but then go pooof and is gone with no feature.. :( :mad: :machinegu:puke:

Like Blueprint and Red Tiger likes so much.. (i like the games anyway, but they would have been much better without that silliness)

On Titan Storm when there are two symbols that activate free spins and the 3rd never shows up!! Extremely infuriating!

And when it won't hit the 5 of a kinds in the feature so much potential but even more disappointment!

Yes I'm very pissed at Titan Storm right now :mad::D

Experienced slot players would claim otherwise .. Apparently if the bonus reveals what would've been under symbol Y or X, then picking did matter and you did indeed, pick incorrectly ..:rolleyes: (I don't believe this by the way, pretty sure it's all pre-determined).

I'm some markets (Nevada for example) if you show other outcomes after a pick, they must have been there to pick. Sadly this is one of few jurisdictions where this is the case. I guarantee you he'd have got 0 whatever he picked on this game...

Why do slot designers love using 10 J Q K A symbols no matter what the slot theme is ? Or 7s and Bars for that matter ? Why are 7s worth more than 10s anyway haha . Just seems like pure laziness that whatever the slot is from rock bands to rhinos they use the same symbols that have zero to do with the subject matter.. I guess it's a strange thing to be annoyed about but I just don't see the point of carrying on with this "tradition"

We use them for a number of reasons...

1. They are familiar to the players
2. They have obvious heirachy
3. It cuts down on the symbol design, and therefore cost and time.
4. It makes for less cluttered reels (although clever low symbol design can also do this)

That said, I don't use them on every game I make, but it has to be a strong theme in order for me to decide not to use them...

1. Uneven scatters (i.e. scatters that appear only on 1 & 5, 1, 3 & 5 or 2, 3 & 4). This leads to a vastly higher proportion of "near misses" and ruined combinations than in normal linear 5-scatters game.
Extra hate: Stacked scatters are especially ridiculous!

2. Jackpots that are both impossible to trigger and yield pathetic wins. Make it easy to trigger but hard to win big (MegaFortune, Hall of the Gods) or hard to trigger but always yielding a sizable win (Marvel jackpot). Jackpots that are both impossible to trigger and pay out pathetic amounts like Mega Moolah are lame.

3. Lowest paying low symbols whose 5 of a kind pays a whooping 1x bet. Would it kill you to make it at least x2 bet?

4. Uneven betting options that won't allow you to bet something reasonable like €1.5 - no, it has to be either €1 or €5... I could understand this on physical slots but there's really no excuse for it on digital slots

5. Free spin rounds that can't retrigger, yet their reels still contain scatters to fuck shit up (Avengers & Age of the Gods)

1. Uneven scatters (i.e. scatters that appear only on 1 & 5, 1, 3 & 5 or 2, 3 & 4). This leads to a vastly higher proportion of "near misses" and ruined combinations than in normal linear 5-scatters game.
Extra hate: Stacked scatters are especially ridiculous!

2. Jackpots that are both impossible to trigger and yield pathetic wins. Make it easy to trigger but hard to win big (MegaFortune, Hall of the Gods) or hard to trigger but always yielding a sizable win (Marvel jackpot). Jackpots that are both impossible to trigger and pay out pathetic amounts like Mega Moolah are lame.

3. Lowest paying low symbols whose 5 of a kind pays a whooping 1x bet. Would it kill you to make it at least x2 bet?

4. Uneven betting options that won't allow you to bet something reasonable like €1.5 - no, it has to be either €1 or €5... I could understand this on physical slots but there's really no excuse for it on digital slots

5. Free spin rounds that can't retrigger, yet their reels still contain scatters to fuck shit up (Avengers & Age of the Gods)

How much do scatters get in the way of base game reel wins too ? I have a theory that in most games the scatter overall causes more harm than good :p sure occasionally you get 3 of them and a bonus but think how often they conveniently land in the middle of two wilds or block a 5oak in the base game . Get rid of scatters and we'd all be rich !! Especially on games that give you no money for a 2 scatter hit

How much do scatters get in the way of base game reel wins too ? I have a theory that in most games the scatter overall causes more harm than good :p sure occasionally you get 3 of them and a bonus but think how often they conveniently land in the middle of two wilds or block a 5oak in the base game . Get rid of scatters and we'd all be rich !! Especially on games that give you no money for a 2 scatter hit

So you want every game to be like Book of Ra?

Probably been mentioned already but one of my pet hates is when a free game feature has upgrades or enhancements applied to it (such as multipliers or expanding wilds and so on) which can't be afforded without bending the reels right back from what you're used to in the base game.

So you go from a base game where the reelstrips return say 65 or 70% with a hit rate of 1 in 3, to free games with reelstrips that return 20% with a hit rate of 1 in 6, and the extra stuff added on top makes up the rest.

In some ways it's bordering on misleading the player because to me, a free game should be the same spin or close to what you've been experiencing in the base game prior to triggering the feature except you don't have to pay for it, and then the goodies on top help you win more than you normally would from them.

I won't give examples of games that I think do this, but you know who you are ;)

Probably been mentioned already but one of my pet hates is when a free game feature has upgrades or enhancements applied to it (such as multipliers or expanding wilds and so on) which can't be afforded without bending the reels right back from what you're used to in the base game.

So you go from a base game where the reelstrips return say 65 or 70% with a hit rate of 1 in 3, to free games with reelstrips that return 20% with a hit rate of 1 in 6, and the extra stuff added on top makes up the rest.

In some ways it's bordering on misleading the player because to me, a free game should be the same spin or close to what you've been experiencing in the base game prior to triggering the feature except you don't have to pay for it, and then the goodies on top help you win more than you normally would from them.

I won't give examples of games that I think do this, but you know who you are ;)

That's exactly what Free Spins used to be - and if i did a game like that, it would probably be played only by you as now almost 99% of people would expect the Free Spins to be better/different in some way than the base game...

Yes I agree that the reels in free spins are often different to the base game, nothing wrong with that. I just find it a bit underwhelming on some occasions when I notice that the reels in free games (which at first glance look the same the base reels) have been stripped of wild symbols or something in order to pay for a x5 multiplier. My expectations are not met. I guess it's down to how subtle the changes are. If the hit rate is maintained from base reels to feature reels but the wins are lower in value due to a change in symbol distribution I guess that would be more acceptable than going 10 spins out of 15 before the first win comes in, when on the base game you're used to getting a win every 2 or 3 spins.

My point is that on some slots the difference between the base reels and feature reels is so severe it makes for less enjoyment :)

Big Bad Wolf - Getting the third stage with the x2 multiplier. The amount of times i've gotten all the moon's and had multiple spins (once had 16 spins after getting extra wolves), then getting no win is infuriating.

Getting to the top level on Steam Tower with 7x multiplier and only ending up with £5...

Getting to the top level on Steam Tower with 7x multiplier and only ending up with £5...

Ouch. Horrendous luck :(

I used to play Steam Tower a fair bit but since getting to the top level I've never played it since. I feel like the challenge was to get to the end and now I have done it feels like I've 'completed' the game. There a football-related NetEnt game which is a bit similar in that respect. The first time I played it (on £0.20 a spin) I got to the final and won £100. Never played it since. I remember thinking it wasn't the greatest of games in any case.

There's definitely a balance to be had between setting the player a challenge but still preserving replay-value once they've achieved it.

I dont like the picking features. I find them to pay pretty terrible most times. i actually stay away from most of them if I know the slot. Like on MG viper, you can filter it so you dont play them if you dont want

I'll never understand the point of MGS character achievements, as in the 3OAK, 4OAK, 5OAK of each symbol (NOT the feature progression).

I assume they think people will carry on playing until they get a 'gold pay table'.

But after several thousand spins, on say, IR. the pay table is usually completed, apart from 5OAK wilds, and maybe 5OAK scatters.
And after several, several more thousand spins. it becomes apparent, that it's not going to be completed very soon.

Why didn't they add a win gauge, calibrated in x stake. From 20x to 12,150x (in the case of IR)

Then instead of just hearing "you have just completed an achievement" for the first several thousand spins (getting less and less frequent the more you spin, until it's just a distant memory)

you'd hear " you have achieved a new personal record", which would happen more often, since you'd still get it even if the win is only £1 more than your previous best win.

There could even be a mute option for announcements, for those who it would annoy (probably, including me).

They have started adding 'Top 5 wins' to the latest games
This is mine from JP at 32Red

ScreenHunter 04.jpg

But it has no context, since the stake isn't stored

But if game loyalty is what the achievements are there for, then they're not really doing much, after a certain point

Funny Tales but what About the Best Features?

Love the tragic anecdotes, but would also love to hear fun success stories. What games and game features have payed off in games-to-remember? Love to hitch a ride on anyone's winning streak!

I really don't like , it's safe to say I hate the slot Aloha.I can't win in this slot ever.This slot is for me as dead!I can't win money ever. I can't win spin even once.
Aloha slot is very bright.And it seems that it will bring good luck!But probably not for me.

Certainly agree on the 'No pay for 2 scatters' just give us 1x at least, you'll get it back next 'click'

Actually there is a good reason not to do this... It eats RTP and just means you'll have to wait longer to get the feature. Hence i rarely pay for 2x scatter on my games :)

Ok everyone will agree with this pet hate....You're running decent on a slot where you collect the feature such as on Cool buck and others.

You get the feature a few times and it's not too hard to get, but when it comes it's awful.

Here's the worst bit though...you bust just before you've collected the puzzle pieces or chips or whatever to trigger your 4th or 5th one (and it's bound to be the epic or good one)...:rolleyes::mad: Sickening as hell!! Am I right?

Ok everyone will agree with this pet hate....You're running decent on a slot where you collect the feature such as on Cool buck and others.

You get the feature a few times and it's not too hard to get, but when it comes it's awful.

Here's the worst bit though...you bust just before you've collected the puzzle pieces or chips or whatever to trigger your 4th or 5th one (and it's bound to be the epic or good one)...:rolleyes::mad: Sickening as hell!! Am I right?
Cool bucks, over 400 spins no bonus then I gave up!.. don't even know what the bonus is!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back