Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87

I would say the reason to appoint ginsburg is in a way buried in time; no doubt she had the legal qualifications/standing but also was a hardcore liberal. But to realise that she cannot be replaced by a man regardless if he has a sharper legal mind, it will have to be a woman -due to the tick box pc culture that has slipped in over time- is a bit of a sad state of affairs [I could get egg on my face here but I'm sure it will be a woman who replaces ginsburg]

edit: I missed the boat there, but thought I'd explain how I viewed it when I posted my comment.

I would say the reason to appoint ginsburg is in a way buried in time; no doubt she had the legal qualifications/standing but also was a hardcore liberal. But to realise that she cannot be replaced by a man regardless if he has a sharper legal mind, it will have to be a woman -due to the tick box pc culture that has slipped in over time- is a bit of a sad state of affairs [I could get egg on my face here but I'm sure it will be a woman who replaces ginsburg]
Almost certainly it will be a woman because it will serve politics either side of the divide.

When you set the politics aside of right vs left (she was a liberal), Ginsburg was an American hero to many, not simply because of being a liberal, but for being able to hold and present a strong voice on behalf of an underepresented half of the population.

It's a shame her passing and accomplishments are all taking 2nd seat to a new political land-mine

edit: I missed the boat there, but thought I'd explain how I viewed it when I posted my comment.

I don't see any issue with replacing a woman with a woman.
T has what they call a short list, they're all qualified. The announcement is Saturday.

The potential replacement, Amy Barrett, 7 kids, 2 adopted from Haiti, with one of the bio children special needs.

Actually, she held her position because she was quite accomplished and made HUGE strides for women's equality in the male-dominated US

View attachment 142183

Er..I never said any different did I? You've cut out bits of my post you quoted and made it sound like I said the bolded part. Please read again - I clearly stated that the reports were referring to the inference that a woman in her position was the result of box-checking.

Here is the full context from my own post, just to make it clear to readers I was not in anyway personally doubting here worthiness for the job she held.

The word (vag) isn't an issue, judging by the reports, but rather what the inference is - that the woman in question (I admit, I never heard of her in my life until Dion's thread!) held her esteemed position not through personal achievement or ability, but via some kind of PC box-checking exercise.

Er..I never said any different did I? You've cut out bits of my post you quoted and made it sound like I said the bolded part. Please read again - I clearly stated that the reports were referring to the inference that a woman in her position was the result of box-checking.

Here is the full context from my own post, just to make it clear to readers I was not in anyway personally doubting here worthiness for the job she held.

The word (vag) isn't an issue, judging by the reports, but rather what the inference is - that the woman in question (I admit, I never heard of her in my life until Dion's thread!) held her esteemed position not through personal achievement or ability, but via some kind of PC box-checking exercise.
I never said you said differently - it was snipped for simplicity as I wasnt addressing any element about Ben :)
I was bringing the post back on track.
I highlighted some points of her accomplishments because you said youd never heard of her :)

Actually, she held her position because she was quite accomplished and made HUGE strides for women's equality in the male-dominated US

View attachment 142183

I'm not a liberal but I'd agree with most, if not all of these rights, I just tend to associate her more with the abortion laws, where she was a bit 'out there' in my (conservative) opinion.

On the ban front, I don't see why the ice hockey approach couldn't work, so 24/48/72hr bans for an infraction - bad language and that kind of thing. Accepting that people can't always judge a post's offensiveness to others, But it might make the forum seem more censorious if lots were handed out, just wondered as it seems weekly/monthly or lifetime bans are mainly used

Doesn't need to be replaced by a woman. It's republicans' choice. Well Trump's choice I guess :p Nothing to do with pc culture. Trump is famous for absolutely not doing the pc thing...he's free to do that again if he wants to. Democrats can't do anything about it anyway.
I sort of hope they fill the seat before the election. I'd imagine there will be some consequences for that :p

Doesn't need to be replaced by a woman. It's republicans' choice. Well Trump's choice I guess :p Nothing to do with pc culture. Trump is famous for absolutely not doing the pc thing...he's free to do that again if he wants to. Democrats can't do anything about it anyway.
I sort of hope they fill the seat before the election. I'd imagine there will be some consequences for that :p

You know he won't, he'll lose votes, but logically/philosophically it should be the best legal mind who gets the role, if all men are excluded, then I can't see how that selection criteria has been applied, not saying a woman couldn't still get it but needs to be better than all willing and available candidates.

I never said you said differently - it was snipped for simplicity as I wasnt addressing any element about Ben :)
I was bringing the post back on track.
I highlighted some points of her accomplishments because you said youd never heard of her :)

Your 'unfortunate' piece of snipped quote:

dunover said:
(I never heard of her in my life until Dion's thread!) held her esteemed position not through personal achievement or ability, but via some kind of PC box-checking exercise.

The full paragraph:

The first suggests I said she held the position not through ability.

The second gives the whole context, and it's clear I was referring to some reporters being offended by the suggestion (not mine) that she didn't hold the post through ability.

Very different. P.S. I appreciate you amending it - if members read that they would start doubting my right-on credentials and avid dedication to political correctness.

You know he won't, he'll lose votes, but logically/philosophically it should be the best legal mind who gets the role, if all men are excluded, then I can't see how that selection criteria has been applied, not saying a woman couldn't still get it but needs to be better than all willing and available candidates.

I agree with that it should be the best legal mind. Shouldn't be anything to do with the gender.

Imo the court also should represent the population of the country. But the guy who got the fewer amount of votes gets to select another judge. And that judge will be approved by senators who represent the minority of population. But whatever...I actually don't care about that so much. Will be a problem for the republicans in the election I'd imagine and I'm happy for that. Now people start to realize what's at stake. Including healthcare, Roe v. Wade and gay rights at least.

Now back on topic, I mean the real topic.

Yeah, all points toward a fairly sure thing it will hit the floor and the seat filled before the current term ends - (barring a MASS defection from the other camp)

Just to chime in quickly, Ben has been given more than enough opportunities to be cool in the forum, and he has either disrespected my decisions, flaunted the rules, or ignored my warnings. He has no filter, and you may personally think his comments are not offensive and are funny, but the forum does not belong to a handful of people. It belongs to everyone to include loads of folks who either lurk or don't post much.

I find these conversations divisive and take away from the real power of this community. I have folks complaining about racist comments, misogynistic comments, things that this forum has never tolerated in the past.

I go away for a bit, and it turns into a shitshow with tit for tat comments, or folks pushing the limits, some folks defending those who get spanked, and then there are those who want more spankings.

And it's not all about "report a post". But these are taken into account. I also get emails and PMs - and with the amount of activity in the forum, it is a very small part of what goes on here - but canbe a time suck.

But these toxic posts that encourage misbehavior of others just takes the piss. Ben knew what he was doing and it was suicide by cop. He had written me a few weeks ago about wanting to quit the forum. So there ya have it and Bob's yer uncle.

Last edited:
Yeah, all points toward a fairly sure thing it will hit the floor and the seat filled before the current term ends - (barring a MASS defection from the other camp)

I understand that the R's want a conservative Justice and don't want to wait until the next term of Trump, which might not come, to move ahead on it. In the end Trump has nothing to lose with this move: his supporters will stand by him no matter what and conservatives who were starting to doubt Trump might see this as a very brave move and vote for him after all whether the Justice is confirmed or not come election day.

You assume a lot but know very little!

Doubtless that is very true but I'm afraid I must insist that in the future you begin, or end, any such statements with "little grasshopper". :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back