Obama Wins Over McCain: Why am I Sad?

RobWin

closed account
Here is a good opinion article I found earlier showing another perspective on the McCain run and loss for President...

McCain didn't deserve to lose this way.

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy for President-Elect Barack Obama. I'm happy for America. We made the right choice.

But, still... I'm sad.
It bothers me that John McCain was hung out to dry by the party he has served so well for so many years.

John McCain would have made a good president... had he been elected in 2000. A strong man with a solid reputation for holding his ground, McCain would never have blundered his way into Iraq without a clear plan and a real exit strategy. McCain would not likely have been viewed as weak, indecisive, or ignorant of the facts... unlike the man who defeated him in 2000.

Yet, the powers-that-be rejected John McCain in 2000.

But why did they select him this time?

Clearly, the Republican party knew it had an uphill battle to hold on to the White House. After the past eight years, the party brand has been damaged... almost to the point of no return.

Then... hope appeared. There was a chance. If only the Democrats would nominate a certain... woman.

The Republicans were sure they could defeat Hillary Clinton. She has been a primary target of right-wing talk radio, evangelical church leaders, and high-profile Republicans for over sixteen years. The GOP was ready to run an all-out, enthusiastic campaign against Clinton.

But, after putting all their eggs in the 'Beat Clinton' basket... something unexpected happened.

Barack Obama became a challenger... then a formidable contender... and, finally, the clear choice of the Democrats.

Suddenly, Republican hopes were dashed. They knew they couldn't run the same campaign against Obama that they had mapped out for so long. Clinton was their expected opponent.

The only choice left: avoid choosing a candidate that has possibilities for the long-term... someone who could run in '12 or '16.

That's why McCain started receiving support... and votes... and became the nominee for the top of the ticket. The party knew that this year would be McCain's last chance to run for the office, so -- like Bob Dole in 1996 -- McCain was handed the reins. But only occasionally.

Republican leaders didn't want McCain to run with someone who could eventually lead the party. The VP selection on a losing campaign isn't generally seen as a likely strong choice for the future. Just ask Walter Mondale, Hubert Humphrey, Dan Quayle, John Edwards, or Jack Kemp. So McCain couldn't choose someone with solid potential, like Romney, Ridge, or Crist.

Instead, McCain was guided towards Palin.

Now and forever, John McCain will be questioned about that pick. How could he allow himself to be bullied into such a choice... a running mate who was nothing less than a laughingstock and a diva?

In addition to his inability to express clear, thoughtful ideas about the disasterous economic woes... McCain's executive decision-making abilities became suspect. If he could choose Palin -- someone who makes Dan Quayle look presidential by comparison -- how would he lead the nation?

But... in the end, an Obama victory was destined. Not only because he was the better choice... but because Americans decided they needed to quickly move away from the Bush Administration.

John McCain conceded the race at 11pm EST on November 4, 2008... but he knew long before then that victory was not to be his. I applaud John McCain for his gracious, heartfelt remarks:

I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together, to find the necessary compromises, to bridge our differences, and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.

Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that.

It is natural tonight to feel some disappointment, but tomorrow we must move beyond it and work together to get our country moving again. Source.

So, I'm happy for Barack Obama.

I'm happy for America.

But I feel sad for John McCain. I truly wish him well.

News Type: Opinion Wed Nov 5, 2008 10:22 AM EST

Rob, what an outstanding article!! And it pretty much echoes how I feel myself.

I know Laurie is upset, and I sent her a PM, hoping to maybe make her feel a bit better. Funny thing is that one of the things I mentioned to her was how different things may be now...IF McCain had won the nomination in 2000, instead of Bush. I see a whole different scenario than what we are now presented with.

I agree with almost everything the article says...including the comments on Sarah Palin. I really don't believe that McCain was given alot of choice in picking his running mate. I definitely see the Republicans with their eye on 2012, and they may very well consider the losing VP candidate this time around....as damaged goods.

I really don't think McCain ever stood much of a chance. I do believe that Obama's election was his destiny/fate...call it what you will.

I do respect the man, and his years of service to his country. The timing was just never right for him. I hate to use a cliche, but you can't fight fate.

I hope that article makes Laurie feel a bit better. Thanks for the find!! :thumbsup:

Interesting perspective. I was chatting with some friends in London (I surprised the Meister at his birthday party, I hadn't been expected to attend) - and my reasoning for Palin being the VP choice was not quite the same, but similar - I figured that McCain would find himself challenged by a stronger VP candidate such as Tom Ridge or Mitt Romney, so turned to Palin in an attempt to sway the female and younger population.

Either Ridge or Romney would be a strong potential candidate for president in future elections - thus it wasn't really sensible to have them serve as VP in a McCain administration.

So the opinion you posted above kind of rings true - and fits in with my own opinion at the time. Had Hillary won the nomination, there is a very good chance I would've supported McCain instead.

But given the selection of Palin as the GOP VP candidate - I would've supported Hillary. Palin to me did not seem to have the necessary qualities to run the country should McCain for any reason need to turn over the reins on a temporary or permanent basis.

Obama is already reaching across party lines in considering his own team - a very strong sign for the future administration. The signs are already clear that he is not going to let party politics get in the way of choosing whom he feels best qualified to serve the country.

I am willing to bet that this would not have been the case under McCain, nor would it have been under Hillary. I believe the best man has earned the right to run the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back