General Election 2019 thread

No one could have seen this coming.

Lying narcissistic charlatan turns out not to be a great Prime Minister shocker.

1639220250026.png

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

1639220288928.png

If the Johnson family had stuck to showbusiness like the Osmonds, Marx Brothers or von Trapp family, the world would be a better place. Yet the Tories, in their terror, have elevated a cavorting charlatan to the steps of Downing Street, and they should expect to pay a full forfeit when voters get the message. If the price of Johnson proves to be Labour, blame will rest with the Conservative party, which is about to foist a tasteless joke upon the British people – who will not find it funny for long.

No one could have seen this coming.

Lying narcissistic charlatan turns out not to be a great Prime Minister shocker.

View attachment 161953

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

View attachment 161954

If the Johnson family had stuck to showbusiness like the Osmonds, Marx Brothers or von Trapp family, the world would be a better place. Yet the Tories, in their terror, have elevated a cavorting charlatan to the steps of Downing Street, and they should expect to pay a full forfeit when voters get the message. If the price of Johnson proves to be Labour, blame will rest with the Conservative party, which is about to foist a tasteless joke upon the British people – who will not find it funny for long.
Nothing new here, everyone knew what Max Hastings said about BoJo, but surely this is more of an indictment on Labour and the Election campaign they ran under their last leader. I would also say its pretty poor that labour only has an 8 point lead in this meaningless poll when there is so much sh*t around the present incumbent at No.10.
My thoughts are that its time for Boris to go, he keeps backing the wrong horse in respect of who he shows support to, and its looking very much as if the knives are starting to come out for him.
But the most worrying thing of all is that in this position Labour are not 20 points ahead, its a poor reflection on what they stand for, if they stand for anything, that with such an unpopular head of government who's own party are starting to turn on they havent been able to build more support.

I think that if Labour get in they will integrate more with the EU and we will see them align with everything that is happening in America
That's the problem Labour is the alternative; Germany's new leadership looks like it will be more 'woke' left, so I expect that will have an effect on the direction and speed the EU try to travel.

There was something recently in the news about banning words re Christmas but the EU backed down in the end.

There was something recently in the news about banning words re Christmas but the EU backed down in the end.
Published on Monday, cancelled on Tuesday due to the outrage it caused:

"The dossier recommended, among other things, to stop saying “Merry Christmas” and replace it with “Happy Holidays” and refer to the Christmas holidays as the “winter break.”

I despise with a passion this type of Woke Inclusivity that totally disregards the reason for having a holiday at this time of year in the first place is entirely due to Christianity and Christmas.

"The dossier recommended, among other things, to stop saying “Merry Christmas” and replace it with “Happy Holidays” and refer to the Christmas holidays as the “winter break.”

I despise with a passion this type of Woke Inclusivity that totally disregards the reason for having a holiday at this time of year in the first place is entirely due to Christianity and Christmas.
I never figured youre 'woke'....but congnizant
There are so many holdays, round now, I do, do try, to remember...not for the sake 'of', but rather, my friends celebrate, and try to remeber, THEIR holidays, and not, just my special holiday here in my head :)

It isnt, nor has it ever been, a Christian holiday ;its merely a popular holday

It isnt, nor has it ever been, a Christian holiday ;its merely a popular holday
I do not agree with your reasoning. Christmas Day celebrates the birth of Jesus, so as far as I am aware, it is a Christian holiday. That is not to say people of other faiths regard it as anything but a chance to have a few days off work, but without Christianity, there would be no reason to have any holiday in December. It would just be another day of the week without any special significance.

Well, Christmas, really is, a co-opted holiday.
Christ, was likely, born in...September?
Traditions are very nearly, pagan.
But, enjoy, and celebrate, w/e holiday you choose to celebrate
I try to wish, here, Christmas, Kwaanza, orthodox and as much as , I'm aware, my friends celebrate :)

edit, apologies, theolgians, say, possibly, between march and june

Last edited:
I do not agree with your reasoning. Christmas Day celebrates the birth of Jesus, so as far as I am aware, it is a Christian holiday. That is not to say people of other faiths regard it as anything but a chance to have a few days off work, but without Christianity, there would be no reason to have any holiday in December. It would just be another day of the week without any special significance.
Indeed. The tree bit is Pagan as is the general winter celebration, but that was done at the same time, the depths of winter around the shortest day so became combined with the Christmas religious festival. Cromwell and the Puritans banned the trees, decorations as frivolous and un-christian and this puritanism was the version of Protestantism that the first British settlers took to North America so it was the same in new England in the 1600's. The Pagan celebration was in England called 'Yule' after the Norse God Jólnir who had a long beard and was recognized in both Viking and Saxon culture.

The Santa bit goes back to St. Nicholas, the patron saint of children back in 300 AD. However, Father Christmas was an English creation back in the time of Henry VIII and had a green cloak and was associated with feasting and revelry but not giving presents, as the original 'feast day' on December 6 was originally a catholic celebration and banned in protestant England so the festival moved to December 25. He is now a combination of Sinterklaas in Dutch and the English translation Santa Claus and father Christmas - most of the Dutch-speaking peoples still give presents on the 5th-6th something I found strange when living there as a kid for a while.

The modern bit about sleighs, presents, fat jolly Santas and ho-ho etc. originated from NY state in the 1800's (which was once New Amsterdam) after press attempts and poems etc. to explain Christmas in the US to British readers and combining both the Dutch and British versions.

That's where we are at today. A combination of Pagan tradition and Christian beliefs. :lolup:

Lovely general election thread turns Christmassy how nice.

Anyway christmas day was a pagan celebration christians just stole it like they helped themselves to everything through history.

These days most would see it as just a time to celebrate with family. Give gifts, have a good time and get drunk and party. Basically something to look forward to after a long year.

The amount of people that even consider it to be religious goes down every year.

As for the debate if Jesus was born that day born in spring or whenever. That would mean he was actually born and a son of God existed. That is more debatable lol

I...know..it will make me less popular tomorrow (like, I give a toss whether I am or aren't regardless)
I support Xmas, I enjoy it. I grew up in a Christian home (my brother is a minister)...we celebrate the fam time and gift giving
And anyone wants to enjoy, for Santa, gifts, family, or the Christian stance...enjoy..YOU and yours <3

Just...remember, it isnt JUST the celebration of Christ's birthday (and yes, I lean toward scholars and historians, ands believe, he was a man, exisited) ...this is a BIG, BROAD forum, and there's utterly LOADS of holidays and celebrations, this season....and well, half the world has gods, and there's as those have God...and, well, we can all wish the best wishes :)

As for the debate if Jesus was born that day born in spring or whenever. That would mean he was actually born and a son of God existed. That is more debatable lol
I fully accept the dude existed; far too many historical things to not have a nod at that..nearly, all historiians and scholars accept he was, there, born and died ....nearly, a given
As you say, son of God....that's mythology v faith and a diff debate :)

I fully accept the dude existed; far too many historical things to not have a nod at that..nearly, all historiians and scholars accept he was, there, born and died ....nearly, a given
As you say, son of God....that's mythology v faith and a diff debate :)
Maybe there was a man that existed called Jesus maybe not.

But personally I would say if so he was a mere man nothing more, and like in this day people made stories and believed what they wanted.

But out of all the miracles I do believe one. The one in which he fed thousands with some fish and bread.

Let's face it if i was starving and in a large crowd. And some guy threw some fish that he had been carrying in the heat for weeks and solid stale bread you could not even bite I imagine soon as he went anyone want more the whole crowd would shout i am full thanks .

Anyway each to their own. People free to believe in whatever makes them happy. I just know Christmas and New year this year mean 4 days away from work 2 weeks in a row lol.

Christmas hasn't felt quite the same the last few years, maybe because it has been chipped away at, the cultural significance downplayed, I must admit I put it down to just getting older, however perhaps it's not just that. The inane treatment it receives from television doesn't help.

... there's utterly LOADS of holidays and celebrations, this season....and well, half the world has gods, and there's as those have God...and, well, we can all wish the best wishes :)
Would be great if we could have a celebration like Christmas for every religion's holy days. Then we would be on holiday nearly every week.

But back on topic - Boreish Johnson appears to be having the week from hell, following on from a year of hell for the British population.

"Boris Johnson's personal poll ratings may be a long way below zero this weekend. But he and his supporters remain defiant and will claim he still has plenty of time to be an election-winning hero again."
Source: Sky News

Hmmm...none of my friends in the UK have any respect for the man at all, but also have no time for Labour and Keir Starmer either.

Not sure where the UK is going to end up as there is still over 2 years left of the current Tory regime, unless there is an early election, but I can't see Johnson doing that.

Well I see the Tories have well and truly fucked it in North Shropshire, losing one of the safest Conservative seats in the country on a swing to the Lib Dems so large it can be seen from space with the naked eye.

Also there are encouraging signs that the electorate voted tactically, choosing the candidate who was most likely to beat the Tory.

Yes it's only a single by-election and this is where protest votes tend to be made, but it's certainly a serious shot across the bows of an incompetent government that's mired in sleaze, headed up by a lazy clown.

For all the fuck ups, sleaze and cronyism of Boris and Co, thank god its wasnt Labour who were steering us through Covid,We would have
been the last people to get the vaccines, not world leaders, i havent forgotten the 70s and 80s
Probably the right time for Boris to go though but there is no danger from Lib Dems, there are spent force that stand for nothing,
just a vehicle for protest against the Tories for people who cant bring themselves to vote Labour

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back