Gaming Disorder - W.H.O. to decide if it is an official disease

steveh35

Dormant Account
The snowflake generation who can't cope with anything now could have gaming disorder classified as an official disease by the World Heath Organisation.

As a result game makers and console makers could now have to take responsibility for people getting addicted to video games.

Link Removed (Old/Invalid)

well, starting a convo by calling the dissenting view snowflakes doesnt make for happy discourse

anyway, I'm not a fan of calling addictions diseases, unless you have a propensity for them because of genetics v choices; after all you can't 'catch' a gambling/drug/gaming addicition form a toilet seat

but I'd imagine it's as detremental as any other addicition; hell, i used to sit in front of a game and only realize a day passed when the sun came shining through

well, starting a convo by calling the dissenting view snowflakes doesnt make for happy discourse

anyway, I'm not a fan of calling addictions diseases, unless you have a propensity for them because of genetics v choices; after all you can't 'catch' a gambling/drug/gaming addicition form a toilet seat

but I'd imagine it's as detremental as any other addicition; hell, i used to sit in front of a game and only realize a day passed when the sun came shining through
No one can cope with anything these days everything is bad for everyone, breathing out will be classed as a disease soon as it will be polluting the air. Some people have addictive personalties and will get addicted to anything they try, gambling, video games, drinking, drugs, but once again those who can't control themselves will ruin video gaming for everyone else with the companies being forced to change the way games work just because of the very small minority.

I blame a lot of unmindful parents who park their kids in front of devices as babysitters - everything, from tv, video games to sports should be done in moderation - ive far too many friends arent cognizant (or caring) how much time kids devote to their devices...it's like breeding a game of future addicts.

After I saw this story on Sky News tonight they did a story about schools banning mobile phones from the classroom, which should have been done a long time ago, and this mother said "you can't really ban them I played with a rubik's cube when I was at school". :eek2: Oh yes a rubik's cube is just the same as using a mobile phone, showing parents don't seem to have a clue again when it comes to their children.

I was gonna open a thread about this too, it's nonsensical to stigmatize video games this way to be honest. One 'panelist' on Sky News (why do I do it to myself) basically argued that kids are hooked on games because of Reward systems and community interaction, whilst totally defending people's overuse and screen addiction with their phones :confused::what::what:

Why not just make it a Hate Crime whilst we're at it

You can, if skiving in the toilet and playing on your mobile device. It's perfectly possible a toilet seat could thus be involved at the very moment you realized you were addicted. :p

I have so many things I want to say, but I rather see that as a subsect of obsessive disorders.

I've actually have a hard time as a late-diagnosed ADHD person tearing myself away from any activity, which includes video games.

Disorder is not disease. But it might qualify people for treatment if it's a diagnonis.

Video game addiction has been around for about 25 years ffs! It's just noticed more because of games like Fortnite and the larger sickness rates in particularly primary school children in the UK. Would imagine a similar pattern elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back