The Day Has arrived for The UK

I just read an article on the Irish Independent about the possibility of the EU forcing higher corporation tax. At the moment Ireland has a 12.5% corporation tax which is vital to our economy's recovery (we have to attract and keep businesses here). Well a few Irish officials state that this is a red line issue and if pushed by the EU to change this we might be out of the EU too. Holy crap:eek: See this quote from this mornings paper

I am very pro EU but this knee jerk reaction by Brussels may even make me re-think the European Union. What a mess!
Well the EU will be £350 million a week poorer after we leave - they have to make up that money somewhere :p

To be honest, any news, scaremongering, announcements, the never missing confidential leaks from someone allegedly closely involved :rolleyes: etc etc..... i would all take with a large grain of salt.

There will be huge amounts of nonsense published in all media, scaring the people for the only reason that is to present the next bombshell.

Once the dust settles after another few trillion are wiped off on the share markets and more senseless discussions/interviews in the media, common sense will prevail and some way forward/compromise will be found.
Ditto :thumbsup:

There was a load of old bollocks spoken before the vote, and there will be a load of old bollocks spoken after the vote.
I'm just going to sit back, wait & see...
Que sera, sera.

KK

Well the EU will be £350 million a week poorer after we leave - they have to make up that money somewhere :p

Ditto :thumbsup:

There was a load of old bollocks spoken before the vote, and there will be a load of old bollocks spoken after the vote.
I'm just going to sit back, wait & see...
**Que sera, sera.

KK

Geez that number just won't go away :D :confused: :rolleyes: .....especially because it is completely exaggerated. UK's net contributions varied in the past decade between £110-190Mio weekly.

**Great quote KK :thumbsup:

Geez that number just won't go away :D :confused: :rolleyes: .....especially because it is completely exaggerated. UK's net contributions varied in the past decade between £110-190Mio weekly.

**Great quote KK :thumbsup:

case is after refunds etc etc the figure is around 185 million per week , still charity should start from home :thumbsup:

case is after refunds etc etc the figure is around 185 million per week , still charity should start from home :thumbsup:

Currently it is roughly that amount, haven't made the effort to check the exact number, sorry :oops:

Since the contributions are a percentage of the GDP though, that number fluctuated over the years, hence why my numbers.

Currently it is roughly that amount, haven't made the effort to check the exact number, sorry :oops:

Since the contributions are a percentage of the GDP though, that number fluctuated over the years, hence why my numbers.

yep no problem these numbers have been crunched in every way this is a average on weekly , so your high end in spot on. this was made available two weeks before the vote cant recall where i got it , but it was a good source.

I wonder if those UK business leaders who wanted us to remain would hold the same view if the EU does now forge ahead with a higher rate of corporation tax as standard for all member countries. If they do, it would be suicide as the UK could see a sudden surge of inward investment as companies consider a lower corporation tax rate as worth the hassle of trading from a newly non EU country. Of course, this would then lead to a new wave of immigration, albeit on the new points based system, and those who voted for Brexit purely for racist reasons will end up even worse off. Even more reports coming in of racist aggression as people are being told "we voted for Brexit, now go home", this being based largely on skin colour, rather than any knowledge of their status in the UK.

Gibraltar talking with Scotland re staying in the EU....

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Interesting I wonder if it's still possible to be part of the UK and still be in the EU? That potentially could be the answer to NI, Scotland and Gibraltar without going through even more political turmoil. That option could bring unity back to the UK. It will be interesting to see what occurs. Although being in the EU means open borders so I am not sure that would work. It would be a good resolution though in my opinion.:)

I wonder if those UK business leaders who wanted us to remain would hold the same view if the EU does now forge ahead with a higher rate of corporation tax as standard for all member countries. If they do, it would be suicide as the UK could see a sudden surge of inward investment as companies consider a lower corporation tax rate as worth the hassle of trading from a newly non EU country. Of course, this would then lead to a new wave of immigration, albeit on the new points based system, and those who voted for Brexit purely for racist reasons will end up even worse off. Even more reports coming in of racist aggression as people are being told "we voted for Brexit, now go home", this being based largely on skin colour, rather than any knowledge of their status in the UK.

Who knows what is in the head of Brussels but I doubt many EU countries would go for that higher corporation rate as it would decrease growth in their countries. I know my country will definitely not go for that neither will it go for a creation of a so called Superstate giving more power to Brussels. I know the Irish will not stand for that, not sure about our politicians though.:D

I do not trust reports of who are behind these racist attacks one jot.

Not sure what you mean? Are you saying that they are made up?

It would not be the first time that organisations,institutions or political parties have orchestrated events to advance their cause or arguments.

How often are a few isolated incidents of fairly minor events highlighted by politicians and broadcast in the media while big newsworthy events are utterly ignored?
When it suits them.
Its all spin and manipulation with a very sinister aim

It would not be the first time that organisations,institutions or political parties have orchestrated events to advance their cause or arguments

I don't think they are making it up. I saw a few interviews with a small amount of people giving the reason why they voted to leave because they are sick of the migrants taking over or something to that effect. These people seemed very hostile to me. Just because you yourself would conduct yourself in a civilized manner doesn't mean everybody does.

I lived in the UK in the early 90's for a short period and although I found the English as a whole to be lovely people I did come across anti-Irish sentiment and was on the receiving end of some very nasty comments.

Edit: It only takes a few people getting away with racist actions for the situation to become out of control. So bringing these few incidents out into the light so to speak will hopefully prevent more serious problems

I don't think they are making it up. I saw a few interviews with a small amount of people giving the reason why they voted to leave because they are sick of the migrants taking over or something to that effect. These people seemed very hostile to me. Just because you yourself would conduct yourself in a civilized manner doesn't mean everybody does.

I lived in the UK in the early 90's for a short period and although I found the English as a whole to be lovely people I did come across anti-Irish sentiment and was on the receiving end of some very nasty comments.

Edit: It only takes a few people getting away with racist actions for the situation to become out of control. So bringing these few incidents out into the light so to speak will hopefully prevent more serious problems

They will always be able to find knuckleheads to spout their bile when they want too. A few incidents can be handled a number of ways. Highlighting them adds fuel to a tiny spark. Governments and institutions use such events for their own purposes and can suppress them too.
We have protest marches from what many may feel are very worthy causes which never get an inch of coverage in the papers or a mention on tv yet a few incidents are mentioned repeatedly by politicians as if all those who voted leave are Racist xenophobes.
I do not buy it 

They will always be able to find knuckleheads to spout their bile when they want too. A few incidents can be handled a number of ways. Highlighting them adds fuel to a tiny spark. Governments and institutions use such events for their own purposes and can suppress them too.
We have protest marches from what many may feel are very worthy causes which never get an inch of coverage in the papers or a mention on tv yet a few incidents are mentioned repeatedly by politicians as if all those who voted leave are Racist xenophobes.
I do not buy it 

That is your right to disagree.

Can we just undo the last week and un-Brexit ourselves? Maybe UEFA will also let us replay the Iceland game as the players were under emotional duress and couldn't concentrate an' that.

We're not out of Europe, we're not of Europe, we're not out of Europe la la la la la la la (covers ears)

Can we just undo the last week and un-Brexit ourselves? Maybe UEFA will also let us replay the Iceland game as the players were under emotional duress and couldn't concentrate an' that.

We're not out of Europe, we're not of Europe, we're not out of Europe la la la la la la la (covers ears)

The England team didnt vote in the Referendum.
Not because they were in France.
It was because they dont know how to put a cross in the box.

* Nicked off Facebook

xenophobia - n, an abnormal fear or hatred of foreigners and strange things.

racism - n
1. (Sociology) the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others.
2. (Sociology) abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief.

My point being that they're not the same thing.

Judging from the reports that I've seen -- local and abroad -- there's good evidence to indicate that the primary issue for many Leave voters was, in fact, immigration and the need to "stem the tide". Time and again the "immigrants have ruined this country", or "stop immigration and we'll have our country back" lines are repeated ad nauseum. This is xenophobia, the fear or hatred of foreigners, not racism.

The problem is that there really is no "tide" of immigrants in the UK. The figure of 350,000+ immigrants to the UK is often cited and for the sake of argument let's take it as a baseline. The commentary coming from the Brexit campaign and echoed by many Leave voters is that that rate is "completely unsustainable". Ball-parking the UK population at roughly 60 million this number then represents an immigration rate of roughly 0.6%.

The fact is that the UK immigration rate of 0.6% should not really be a problem. For instance Canada, with roughly half the population of the UK, has a perfectly sustainable rate of net immigration at approximately 250,000 per year, or about 0.8%. No significant reports of overwhelming "tides of immigrants" there. I've seen references to economic studies into immigration and fiscal stability and it seems to be generally agreed that anything up to about 1% population increase via immigration year-on-year should be no problem for a healthy Western economy.

And yet I hear senior UK politicians repeat time and again that they're shooting for immigration "in the 10s of thousands". Let's say they mean 50,000, for the sake of discussion. That's 0.08%, one tenth of what Canada sustains year on year! Not only is that a ridiculously low number it's not even considered healthy because Western economies need population growth for sustained economic health and the birth rates are way too low by far.

Want to say "but there is no room for them"? Sorry, not true. Back to Canada for example: almost everyone in Canada lives within a few of the major cities, especially the new immigrants. Same in Australia and many other countries. Sure, London is ridiculously crowded but that's because so many people want to be there, not because there is "no room."

So, is the UK different in some way such that a modest rate of immigration is not sustainable? Or is it something in the character of the people that makes the current rate appear unsustainable.

Coming from a country (Canada) where immigration is generally accepted as a completely normal and necessary part of the country's character I'd have to say that the hew and cry I hear about immigrants here in the UK is a little puzzling. I currently live in Scotland and TBH it feels rather like Canada in some ways: lots of people from lots of places speaking their languages and getting on about their business. No major upset here afaict so ... where's the beef?

I've heard it said more than once by English and Scottish observers -- sorry, don't spend much time elsewhere in the UK -- that the "real" issue is that "people don't like to hear foreign languages on their High Streets." Maybe that's a fair description of the situation, maybe it isn't, but it is a fine example of xenophobia. And I'd say that if that's how you or the folks you call your fellow citizens feel then guess what, you're xenophobic! That certainly doesn't mean your are racist but it is a big step in that direction. And if xenophobic attitudes are accepted as the norm in your neck of the woods then you can bet that some percentage of your lovely neighbours will take that and run with it straight into full-blown racism. It's human nature as we all know: there are always a certain percentage who will push things too far.

Elsewhere in these discussions some have said things like "ban the Muslims, they'll never fit in" and so forth. Yeah, that's definitely xenophobic, however strongly or genuinely you may believe it. Tired of being called xenophobic? Great, don't be. Not likely to change your feelings about these things? Fair enough, your call, but if the shoe fits ...

xenophobia - n, an abnormal fear or hatred of foreigners and strange things.

racism - n
1. (Sociology) the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others.
2. (Sociology) abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief.

My point being that they're not the same thing.

Judging from the reports that I've seen -- local and abroad -- there's good evidence to indicate that the primary issue for many Leave voters was, in fact, immigration and the need to "stem the tide". Time and again the "immigrants have ruined this country", or "stop immigration and we'll have our country back" lines are repeated ad nauseum. This is xenophobia, the fear or hatred of foreigners, not racism.

The problem is that there really is no "tide" of immigrants in the UK. The figure of 350,000+ immigrants to the UK is often cited and for the sake of argument let's take it as a baseline. The commentary coming from the Brexit campaign and echoed by many Leave voters is that that rate is "completely unsustainable". Ball-parking the UK population at roughly 60 million this number then represents an immigration rate of roughly 0.6%.

The fact is that the UK immigration rate of 0.6% should not really be a problem. For instance Canada, with roughly half the population of the UK, has a perfectly sustainable rate of net immigration at approximately 250,000 per year, or about 0.8%. No significant reports of overwhelming "tides of immigrants" there. I've seen references to economic studies into immigration and fiscal stability and it seems to be generally agreed that anything up to about 1% population increase via immigration year-on-year should be no problem for a healthy Western economy.

And yet I hear senior UK politicians repeat time and again that they're shooting for immigration "in the 10s of thousands". Let's say they mean 50,000, for the sake of discussion. That's 0.08%, one tenth of what Canada sustains year on year! Not only is that a ridiculously low number it's not even considered healthy because Western economies need population growth for sustained economic health and the birth rates are way too low by far.

So, is the UK different in some way such that a modest rate of immigration is not sustainable? Or is it something in the character of the people that makes the current rate appear unsustainable.

Coming from a country (Canada) where immigration is generally accepted as a completely normal and necessary part of the country's character I'd have to say that the hew and cry I hear about immigrants here in the UK is a little puzzling. I currently live in Scotland and TBH it feels rather like Canada in some ways: lots of people from lots of places speaking their languages and getting on about their business. No major upset here afaict so ... where's the beef?

I've heard it said more than once by English and Scottish observers -- sorry, don't spend much time elsewhere in the UK -- that the "real" issue is that "people don't like to hear foreign languages on their High Streets." Maybe that's a fair description of the situation, maybe it isn't, but it is a fine example of xenophobia. And I'd say that if that's how you or the folks you call your fellow citizens feel then guess what, you're xenophobic! That certainly doesn't mean your are racist but it is a big step in that direction. And if xenophobic attitudes are accepted as the norm in your neck of the woods then you can bet that some percentage of your lovely neighbours will take that and run with it straight into full-blown racism. It's human nature as we all know: there are always a certain percentage who will push things too far.

Elsewhere in these discussions some have said things like "ban the Muslims, they'll never fit in" and so forth. Yeah, that's definitely xenophobic, however strongly or genuinely you may believe it. Tired of being called xenophobic? Great, don't be. Not likely to change your feelings about these things? Fair enough, your call, but if the shoe fits ...

Lies, damn lies and statistics Max.

Canada is an enormous country with mineral wealth and some forests bigger than the whole UK. The UK is the most densely populated nation in Europe. This leads to stress and deterioration of the quality of life - regardless of where the immigrants appear from.

0.6% of your population supplanted annually is a colossal amount. Net migration of 350,000 is huge, literally an 'Iceland' turning up every year. It also fails to mention that this net figure consists of more than 350,000 arrivals as many UK people have ironically fled overseas because of it, so the replacement of the British population is higher than 350,000.

0.6% over 20 years is another 'London' being brought in in ONE single generation. Plus this new London will breed rapidly and double in size in 10 years. So in a third of your lifetime you have seen 25% of your population changed. This change, ironically, further down the line will so erode our native people and traditions that the 'Free Welcoming Britain' once seen from the outside and the character of it will be lost forever. Max, you moved to a very homogenous region having left a multiculti hellhole - can't the rest of us have that chance?

Lies, damn lies and statistics Max.

Canada is an enormous country with mineral wealth and some forests bigger than the whole UK. The UK is the most densely populated nation in Europe. This leads to stress and deterioration of the quality of life - regardless of where the immigrants appear from.

0.6% of your population supplanted annually is a colossal amount. Net migration of 350,000 is huge, literally an 'Iceland' turning up every year. It also fails to mention that this net figure consists of more than 350,000 arrivals as many UK people have ironically fled overseas because of it, so the replacement of the British population is higher than 350,000.

0.6% over 20 years is another 'London' being brought in in ONE single generation. Plus this new London will breed rapidly and double in size in 10 years. So in a third of your lifetime you have seen 25% of your population changed. This change, ironically, further down the line will so erode our native people and traditions that the 'Free Welcoming Britain' once seen from the outside and the character of it will be lost forever. Max, you moved to a very homogenous region having left a multiculti hellhole - can't the rest of us have that chance?

Dunover you will find that Malta is technically the most densely populated country in Europe along with Belgium and The Netherlands I believe that the UK is the fourth most densely populated country in Europe.

Dunover you will find that Malta is technically the most densely populated country in Europe along with Belgium and The Netherlands I believe that the UK is the fourth most densely populated country in Europe.

Nope. UK overtook Netherlands. Technically Gibraltar is, but regardless the more people you cram into each square mile, the worse life gets.

Nope. UK overtook Netherlands. Technically Gibraltar is, but regardless the more people you cram into each square mile, the worse life gets.

That was according to the Daily Mail Uk. I would actually like to see the official figures before I agree with you. Besides that was England not the entire UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back