[Poll] Would you give up gambling to prevent future gambling-related suicides?

Would you give up gambling to prevent future gambling-related suicides?

• Yes

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters

NotNelsonMandela

Newbie member
PABnononaccred
We all know that people have committed suicide after being unable to manage their gambling habits. While there are indeed the relatively new safer gambling measures, addiction is a powerful thing and it will almost certainly happen again.

I'm curious to know your thoughts on giving up gambling in the interest of preventing further incidents so I've put up a poll. It would also be great if anyone would like to elaborate on their answer. Cheers.

Think it is a bit of a daft idea for a poll like that here.

I would imagine if anyone actually votes the answers would mainly be no.

Yes suicide is tragic. But many reasons for suicide and not just gambling.

In this Politically Correct world we now live in people are already having to give up many things in case it causes offence to the minority. People are also having what they do controlled again for the few that have problems. Whether it be minimum prices on alcohol as some drink to much. Pointless really.

A tax on Sugar as too many people that sit and stuff themselves stupid. Having to change what you say as the odd snowflake will take offence.

Already way too much interfering in gambling too protect the few with problems. And as this forum proves it does not work. They just go gamble at dodgy sites then try chargeback their money.

So should people not be allowed any credit in case they get in debt and kill themselves. As many have done. How far do you want to take things to protect people who need help. Ban everything that might cause others problems.

Biggest problem to Mental health at the moment is constant lockdowns. And again now looks like another as new variant which is basically a cold at the moment has provided so much panic.

So no i would never consider giving up gambling and as i bet on a horse or spin a slot the thought never crosses my mind that damn why am i doing that when someone somewhere might have an addiction. Same as if i open a bottle Vodka i never think shit i am evil theres an alkie down the road.

And shortly when i eat a cake with my coffee for breakfast i wont be worrying either that somebody is obese elsewhere from eating all day.

Last edited:
If i thought that me giving up gambling would actually save others from suicide i would do it.
But truth is i could give up gambling,alcohol,drugs and countless other addictive or potentially harmful things, but i would only save myself from potential consequences.

So i guess my answer is, In theory, yes.
In reality, no. (and thats what i voted)

The power of gambling addiction/problems probably needs to be more acceptable to admit to, rather than a taboo, shame inducing personal failure. It seems many families don't know until afterwards, and the person who took their own life was going to be no longer able to keep it hidden, due to the impending financial disaster.

Maybe a system is required where actual official / practical support is provided (for those that need it) to get through that phase of 'coming out' as it were. Can't be harder than two police officers knocking on someone's door with the worst news.

If i thought that me giving up gambling would actually save others from suicide i would do it.
But truth is i could give up gambling, alcohol, drugs and countless other addictive or potentially harmful things, but i would only save myself from potential consequences.

So i guess my answer is, In theory, yes.
In reality, no. (and thats what i voted)
What he said! :thumbsup:

KK

Suicide is dreadful for everyone who knows the person who chooses that path. I Also abstain because this type of poll should never even be asked so I am sorry but this was totally not a very good idea to begin with. Are you doing to market research for a company or something? That is what comes across to me anyway.

But again the people who are more hurt by people who do choose to kill themselves is their family and friends and especially if they had kids too who are still school aged. It will hit them the hardest because they will not understand why their mum or dad chose to take their own lives. Then it is also selfish too. It is a selfish act to the family and friends affected as well. I mean the only justifiable way it is not selfish is if the reason was because they was diagnosed with a terminal illness. That is the only reason it will not be deemed to be selfish.

I mean it is just a easy way out and it is not a nice way out and it just leaves everyone hurt and broken and asking why and questions.

I have had friends who have threatened to take their own lives but I talked them around many times and they are still alive today because I helped them get through their issues. It is difficult but there is just soo many reasons people will choose it, it could be criminal reasons, maybe they committed some serious crimes that would result if they was caught being sent to prison for the rest of their lives or death penalty depending which country you live in. But there is loads of reasons, no point in me listing every one as that list would be huge. Sometimes they are not even that serious. Sometimes they are very minor issues that would just seem so bad to that person yet to everyone else they would think wait what? are you crazy? type reaction. Anyway I will leave it here.

Maybe the OP got what he wanted with this post he got a reaction for his potential market research lol :)

Not sure the thread title is totally clear, in as much as, what is the OP actually asking.

The way it reads to me is, would I give it up, if I thought it would save lives. Perhaps I am missing something obvious here but how would ME giving up gambling make a jot of difference to anybody else?

Unless the question is hypothetical, as in, if I were to quit, everyone else who gambles will be saved from the perils via a miracle or something.

Not sure the thread title is totally clear, in as much as, what is the OP actually asking.

The way it reads to me is, would I give it up, if I thought it would save lives. Perhaps I am missing something obvious here but how would ME giving up gambling make a jot of difference to anybody else?

Unless the question is hypothetical, as in, if I were to quit, everyone else who gambles will be saved from the perils via a miracle or something.

Or perhaps the OP believes in Magical powers and or Super powers? And maybe he thinks that if 1 person chooses to stop gambling, it will be telekinetically sent to other problem gamblers around the world and stop them before they commit suicide? I mean obviously I am also talking nonsense with this. The only way that problem gamblers can help themselves before it reaches those dreadful end points is to GET HELP IMMEDIATELY!

I find it hard to comprehend that gambling can be solely linked or blamed for suicidal thoughts, hence the difficulty for me understanding the question.

It's clear that problem gambling could be a trigger, a straw that breaks the camels back, but there is the question of loneliness, depression and mental health which are far more prominent considerations.

The consequence of problem gambling is a financial one. I believe there would be other underlying issues that would hold more responsibility for somebody feeling so low they can see no other course of action but to end their life. But then again, I am fortunate to have never come close to feeling that low and its hard to understand something without first-hand experience sometimes.

This reply is coming from someone who has lost more than one close relative recently to suicide, absolutely devastating to the family, only those that have passed know why they chose to leave this place the way they did.
The question asked in op my reply is my gambling affects me and me only however I do realise others that spend too much affects their family life and can cause major issues so I can’t personally take responsibility that my gambling can cause issues for others although I believe it’s worded wrongly. Like Bamber said above it could well have been the straw that broke the camels back, for the majority no one will know but I think mental health is the biggest issue that needs addressed
And Dream I respect your posts but have to disagree about those that end their lives as selfish, don’t get me wrong I have and still do have mixed emotions as it’s so raw but can’t say anyone is selfish to take that road.

I cant cure cancer because I stopped smoking
I cant stop liver disease because I stopped drinking
I cant curb gambling suicide deaths because I stopped playing

Recognize your limits
Find aid or help or services, should you need to

Theorterically, God on high, if my scacrifice, saved all....sure
My little, small choices, cant make the world better
I can try, to be better,through educatioin; best I can do, man :)

I cant cure cancer because I stopped smoking
I cant stop liver disease because I stopped drinking
I cant curb gambling suicide deaths because I stopped playing

Recognize your limits
Find aid or help or services, should you need to

Theorterically, God on high, if my scacrifice, saved all....sure
My little, small choices, cant make the world better
I can try, to be better,through educatioin; best I can do, man :)

Agree apart from the part about God :p but hey not everyone believes in religion or is religious. :)

But if Having a faith does help you get through your issues then that is only a good thing.

Agree apart from the part about God :p but hey not everyone believes in religion or is religious. :)

But if Having a faith does help you get through your issues then that is only a good thing.
oh, i dont believe in God, buddy, just a point
Had the WORD come down, sure; big bright, flaming sky, id be ok, ok, dude, is all

Some really interesting input so far, thanks.

@snorky510238 Sorry if it seemed vague, I didn't want to restrict how people might answer the question by giving a hypothetical situation. I had thought about saying it could be gamblers worldwide collectively deciding to boycott the industry as a far-fetched example, but then peer pressure would influence the decision.

@DreamRJ I'm not conducting market research but I can see how you reached that conclusion. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking the question, it's the only way to know what other people are thinking - without using the special powers I believe in of course.

@Jackstar I'm sorry to hear that. I'm remaining impartial with regards to the original question but I do agree that suicide is not a selfish act. A lot of people do think differently, it's generally because they understand the aftermath from an outside point of view but not the mind state of the person. Really appreciate your answer, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back