Penny offense: Man fined for paying fee in pennies

BingoT

Nurses love to give shots
Penny offense: Man fined for paying fee in pennies

No lucky pennies here: Police have charged Jason West, an aggrieved medical patient in Vernal, Utah, with disorderly conduct. His alleged crime? Attempting to pay a disputed medical bill of $25 entirely in pennies.
The story, reported in the Salt Lake City Deseret News, describes the "penny offense" this way: West, 38, did not believe he owed the medical clinic $25 but came in to pay the fee in person. He first asked the clinic staff if the facility accepted cash payments, and then dumped 2,500 pennies onto the counter and demanded that they be counted.
But West apparently hadn't counted on the clinic calling the police; the arresting officer contended that West's protest served "no legitimate purpose." The charge carries a fine that can go as high as $140--and there's no word as yet on what currency West will use to pay it.
West isn't alone in the ranks of penny protesters. A wise guy in Frederick, Maryland, showed up at the county clerk's office last summer with bags of cash to pay off his tax bill with $966.86 in change.
And a New Jersey school district a few years back punished 29 students who paid for their $2 school lunches in pennies--possibly as a prank--with two-day detentions. After parents protested, the students were pardoned. The school explained that the use of the small change slowed down the lunch line.
By Claudine Zap
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Back in the day, my Dad got mad at the smalltown bank he had been using for years. He took a paper sack and demanded that his accounts be closed and he be given all his money in cash (for the times, he had quite a bit of money in the bank). By the time the bank got thru kissing his behind, he decided not to take his money out. I always thought this was so funny so see my Dad in his overalls marching into the bank with a paper sack. LOL!

And in my opinion, if pennies or any change for that matter, is not going to be classified as 'real' money, then don't make it. Heck, the banks don't even want change now.

How is it disorderly conduct?

They didn't actually charge him for using pennies, but for disorderly conduct. If he was polite, surely no crime of disorderly conduct was committed.

The protest clearly DID work; this has made the news, and could backfire on the police.

Similar protests have been tried here in the UK, and whether the business chooses to accept the change is a CIVIL matter, and the police would charge the hospital for "wasting police time" unless there was disorderly conduct involved.

Perhaps they got him for "insisting they count them", and considered this the "disorderly conduct".

It's an interesting legal move, because if the business refuses the money, the man can claim that he made an attempt to pay what was due, rather than ignoring the debt.

The poll tax, and later the Council tax, were subject to similar protests. I even paid my council tax in person in £1 coins, around 60-70 of them every month:D

It's good that there are now lawyers wanting to take his case on, presumably for free, so that they can make a name for themselves by snubbing authority.

If the case goes in favour of this man, there are bound to be many copycat protests, with some pretty large bills being settled in pennies, dimes, quarters, etc.

A summary of the British legal situation regarding legal tender can be found at
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

However, although a business can refuse to accept tender outside these guidelines, it is certainly not a CRIMINAL matter where you can be arrested and fined for offering tender outsise these guidelines, which is what seems to have happened in this US case.

The man did not ask for change, and only wanted to have them count it, and presumably confirm that the debt had been settled.

£1 = "any amount" in the UK, which is why paying council tax, poll tax, etc all in £1 coins works as a protest. Council tax can be over £2000 now - that's a lot of £1 coins:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back