My online slots videos (plus UK AWPs)

"So it's possible in gambling that it's not the case of total abstension, but a kind of 'reduced/managed addiction?"

This, to me is possibly the best description I have seen of old school fruit machine players who have grown up, moved on, taken responsibilities on but still to this day love a punt.

If we were all 100% honest, I would say it describes a very large majority of the membership here.

I openly admit I would find it hard to totally just stop all forms of gambling altogether (these days it is just online slots really) , main reason being finding something to replace those long boring evenings and the habit rather than full on addiction.

BIG difference being from when I was fresh out of college that nowadays ALL bills are paid prior to even thinking of slotting, along with everything else which needs attending to, together with a strict budget, low stake policy, withdraw as and where possible every time and its ultra, mega rare I ever stray even £10 over budget.

Back in my VERY naive days, although available I never went anywhere near the gay toilets in town where most people with a pulse could make a quick £20 for the arcades but I would get the sick feeling when going skint and "needing" more cash for the fruities or blowing too much so I could barely scrape 1/2 a lager rather than my regular 4-5 pints.

Its true what they say that "We live and learn" - well in most cases.

Back in my VERY naive days, although available I never went anywhere near the gay toilets in town where most people with a pulse could make a quick £20 for the arcades but I would get the sick feeling when going skint and "needing" more cash for the fruities or blowing too much so I could barely scrape 1/2 a lager rather than my regular 4-5 pints.

Where did you live - Brighton?? :eek::eek::eek: :xxx: :laugh::laugh:

I must point out that sodomy and blowing in terms of gambling are only metaphors mate! :p (or at least I THOUGHT they were!)

'Back in the day' Jono, you sure? You said the other day, at 7ish, you'd be able to play at 9pm. Why the 2 hours? 'Because i need to make it happen' :eek2:

20 quids way too low mate: there's been an exodus cos of Brexit VISA's, so look to go 35-40 and up those 9p DOA's to 18p, at least. Plus point for Brexit here as well: Jono, the sexy street worker, gets more moolah :p

Chop I can see now why you were putting this chapter off, having watched parts 1-4 (some twice) it wasn't a total surprise the addiction would drive you to act in more desperate ways that were not yourself. I could almost feel the tension and sense of foreboding when you described the phone ringing, and you knew what it was about "hello"... 'Alex!'

Some great comments under the vid on youtube, is part 6 going to be a delve into the roots of the addiction?

It was nice to see you and Mrs Degsy at the end, I suppose it could be argued without the fruit machine addiction the timing of things might not have worked out, so have to say in a way, despite the times of despair, all's well that ends well.

"So it's possible in gambling that it's not the case of total abstension, but a kind of 'reduced/managed addiction?"

This, to me is possibly the best description I have seen of old school fruit machine players who have grown up, moved on, taken responsibilities on but still to this day love a punt.

If we were all 100% honest, I would say it describes a very large majority of the membership here.

I openly admit I would find it hard to totally just stop all forms of gambling altogether (these days it is just online slots really) , main reason being finding something to replace those long boring evenings and the habit rather than full on addiction.

BIG difference being from when I was fresh out of college that nowadays ALL bills are paid prior to even thinking of slotting, along with everything else which needs attending to, together with a strict budget, low stake policy, withdraw as and where possible every time and its ultra, mega rare I ever stray even £10 over budget.

Blame the shite that passes for terrestrial television for forcing more men online to gamble away their earnings. Bonanza is an absolute twat but when the other option is Strictly Cum Prancing then Bonanza will always win.

@mack341 @dunover @Jono777

Thanks for your replies and comments, there have been quite a few questions/comments left on the video already about the aftermath/fallout of Ebbs#5 so what I'll do is a follow-on 'Q&A' style video for it and I'll answer your questions in that video if that's alright? (The same applies to the comments left on the video.)

I think it'll make more sense to do it that way and work better overall than me replying to a load of different questions in multiple posts here and replies to comments on the video.

Good stuff! To make it more realistic can we have:

1. Shoulder-surfers watching your play, sharking to see how much you lose.
2. Random entrances of smack-heads trying to sell you shoplifted jars of coffee, razor blades, deodorants and clothes.
3. Some screaming Bar-x's with a line of grannies and wheeled shopping trollies for you to trip over.
4. After the sound of a large bank collected an attendant approaching and saying "I hope you're not expecting notes for that lot, I've run out.."
5. A wino clutching a can of special brew, doing a swift recce of the coin trays on all the unplayed machines at hourly intervals.
6. Some laminated A4 sheets placed on random machines stating "Machine Taken" while the addict is up the ATM or trying to pawn their necklace at Cash Converters.
7. AT 30-minute intervals another skint player approaching you saying " Lemme a fiver, this one's gonna drop right now and I'll give you a tenner back when it has.."
:D :)

Lmao, the good 'ole days eh? Despite growing up on the other side of the pond, it's kind of 'refreshing' to see that the usual suspects are the same everywhere :D

God i hated those shoulder watchers...despicable lot if you ask me!

There's ofc. a big difference between the people that just wanted to play their fav. machine and the greedy fcks that literally made this their 'business model'...

Hey folks here's the follow-on video, hopefully addresses the questions and points raised :)

Just watched that Chop, that was a pleasant surprise to have my post mentioned 😎 ...I think a Q&A was the best way, grunge and nirvana wasn't my scene but will give the doc a watch, must've been unbelievable to the fans when the news broke. It's amazing how much memory and feeling relating to a time can be brought back vividly by an item of clothing. Thanks for sharing the even more personal bits, and in the way you do, makes me reflect and I don't do enough of that sometimes without a spur.

Gambling addiction is just like any other addiction, horrible, nasty and can destroy your life. Does anyone remember a guy that did a series of videos on youtube, "diary of a compulsive gambler" They are long deleted by wow they were raw and very real.

Another video about old UK AWPs, I've got a new slots video recorded, just need to get it edited together, rendered out and uploaded, it'll be online tomorrow.

Hey folks here's the follow-on video, hopefully addresses the questions and points raised :)

I ended up watching all five parts over about three days, after having seen your critique of NLC's Mental slot and thinking that I needed to catch up on your Low Ebb chronicles.

Most striking were the fairly normal, everyday travails suddenly punctuated by moments of sheer irrationality, though whilst recognizing them in states of lucidity, brought about by anxiety, poor lifestyle choices, some 'influential vices' and a lack of connection with quite a few of your peers and even your family.

Astounded at Missus Degsy's saint-like empathy and unconditional support through some prolonged tribulations, I think she's to be admired greatly for that, and shows immense strength of character.

Needless to say the 'alarm....but is it?' segment was unbelievably to the point and graphic, the strained relationship with your dad but who then helped you out despite your fallout, and the policeman trying to force some perspective into your stupefied state.

Have to admit the breakdown of when you detailed your partner's concern post- car wrecking took me by surprise, and I found that and the walk along the pier pretty harrowing. Seeing that all laid bare just shows that human element that no online avatar could ever betray, and lays to rest the notion that we all know each other's personalities based on our digital disguises.

All in all it was a very thought-provoking series and I await the (final?) part TBA, thankyou for the fascinating insight into this treacherous affliction and how you came out stronger for it :thumbsup:

On another note, how t f does anyone complete Chase HQ on a single credit?? I call BS

Thank you goatwack I appreciate your kind comments. It's been a difficult series to do in many ways, but also quite cleansing in others. In terms of getting positive reactions with Likes and comments left on the videos, (way beyond what my normal videos receive), they have clearly chimed with many other people who've struggled, or are struggling, with addiction - so if they provide even some small amount of succour to a few folks, then it was worth it.

I am under no illusion as to how lucky I have been in terms of the family, friends, and of course Mrs Chopley who never gave up on me, even in the darkest of times. (I did lose friends to the addiction though, and of course there was the dumping in Part 5 which fruit machines were partially responsible for.)

I will get Part 6 done, I'm not looking forward to it at all, and yet part of me wants to get it done, to address the pain once and for all. (mack has already kind of worked out the theme.)

As I say in the Ebbs 5 Q&A video you linked in your post, I wouldn't have made it through the series without the support and kind comments of others, so thanks again for your words above.

Latest slots video went online yesterday, I've linked it in the Evil Goblins thread already but I'll stick it here too to keep this thread up to date.

I don't like putting the boot into NLC, particularly since they have an active presence here at CM, but this crap with the feature buys has gone too far IMO.

I love most fruit machines from the 80s and 90s, but these were so shit lol Great video though but they really were dire to play.
I remember them giving me many a kicking in the real world, but on the original £6 jackpot, set to a nice percentage of 84/86% in the emulator, they actually give a pretty good game, with plenty going on. Really nice sample packages too.

Last edited:
Entirely subjective, but I bloody well hate these things.

(New slots video is already recorded, I'm just doing the edit now, it'll be rendered out, uploaded and online sometime tomorrow.)

Two new online slots in dual-slot play for this one. Odin's Watch which is a new slot by 3Dice (they don't release new games very often!), and a new Blueprint called The Goonies Return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back