Do you feel Members of Congress should be forced to enroll themselves in the health

Amazing how anyone can dismiss the repeal of Glass Stegall Act as not the cause of or at the least partly to blame for the financial crisis is beyond me.

What was Phil Gramms rationale for crafting and pushing this legislation anyway? let me guess. GREED

Why would Clinton to want to push for loans to the poor?

VOTES

Same as the current immigration issue, these votes are needed to secure the next election, period.

It's just that there were no restrictions within Glass-Steagall that would have prevented derivative trading or the ramping up the relaxation of mortgage qualifying guidelines which exponentially increased the numbers of doomed mortgages being bundled into these toxic assets. If you know of anything specific within Glass-Steagall which contradicts me I'd like to know what it is.

Market-to-market accounting practices, which masked real asset values, and the rapid rise of adjustable mortgages, IMO, weigh in much higher than anything that could have been prevented by Glass-Steagall in the events of 2008-9: the spiraling defaults on home loans/ensuing housing collapse.

Well I thought more Republicans would be posting in this thread but then I heard that the lesbian bondage night club was holding dollar drink nights all week. Republican's may not want lesbians to get married but they do like to watch 'em tie the knot.* :lolup:

*Joke as told by Jay Leno at the annual White House Correspondents Dinner Saturday night.

It's just that there were no restrictions within Glass-Steagall that would have prevented derivative trading or the ramping up the relaxation of mortgage qualifying guidelines which exponentially increased the numbers of doomed mortgages being bundled into these toxic assets. If you know of anything specific within Glass-Steagall which contradicts me I'd like to know what it is.

Market-to-market accounting practices, which masked real asset values, and the rapid rise of adjustable mortgages, IMO, weigh in much higher than anything that could have been prevented by Glass-Steagall in the events of 2008-9: the spiraling defaults on home loans/ensuing housing collapse.

well it was actually the Commodity Futures Modernization Act.

Shortly after George W. Bush was elected president, Congress and President Clinton were trying to pass a $384 billion omnibus spending bill, and while the debates swirled around the passage of this bill, Senator Phil Gramm clandestinely slipped a 262-page amendment into the omnibus appropriations bill titled: Commodity Futures Modernization Act. It is likely that few senators read this bill, if any. The essence of the act was the deregulation of derivatives trading (financial instruments whose value changes in response to the changes in underlying variables; the main use of derivatives is to reduce risk for one party). The legislation contained a provision -- lobbied for by Enron, a major campaign contributor to Gramm -- that exempted energy trading from regulatory oversight. Basically, it gave way to the Enron debacle and ushered in the new era of unregulated securities. Interestingly enough, Gramm's wife, Wendy, had been part of the Enron board, and her salary and stock income brought in between $900,000 and $1.8 million to the Gramm household, prior to the passage of the Commodity Futures Modernization Act.

Blame for Sub-prime mortgage crisis....

Bill Cliniton and his desire to provide mortgages to those that did not meet statndard mortgage criteria:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

As I have pointed out in other posts, the blame of the subprime meltdown cannot be put soley on Bush. Clinton played a major role, regardless of who held the House and Senate. His policies promoted what I, as a person who holds a license to sell real estate and did sell real estate during Clintons term, did make it very easy to obtain a mortgage with little down and little of the documentation that buyers had tradionally been required to provide. Because of the "push", builders and their mortgage partners worked "deals". I saw this happen first hand. Since I was at these closings, I can tell you that I made sure my buyers and sellers understood the terms of the contracts they were signing. Especially when it was 100% adjust. rate financing. I always explained that while you(the buyer) might be able to get the mortgage, you must be prepared for increases in taxes and insurance and upkeep on the property. The contention that these buyers were all hoodwinked is a falicy, atleast from my experience. Yes, deals were made, kickbacks by Builders and the like, but the Buyer was aware of the implications of receiving a "decorating allowance" or having the Builder pay their "points", etc. None of which was illegal.

Title Companies and R.E. agents are committed to making sure buyers and sellers understand the contract. I always attended the initial meeting with the Mortgage Companies agent to make certain the buyer was getting a fair deal and one they understood. I personal made sure I qualified the buyer based on their documented income and liabilities.

Last edited:
I had a part time job while still in high school at a service station, pumping gas, changing oil, etc. That doesn't qualify to claim expertise in oil refinery and the chemistry required to transform crude oil into the various grades of gasoline we buy at the pump. And while licensed real estate agents and brokers may have completed courses in real estate investment, real estate law, real estate development, urban real estate economics, urban fiscal policy, urban public policy and private economic development advanced real estate investment and analysis, I have yet to know one who has had a course in what Clinton had to do with the fall of the housing market in 2008. Which, by the way, was nothing.

The exponential rise of adjustable rate mortgages and Wall Street's ability to bundle these as tranches into mortgage backed securities, with increasingly higher percentages of these mortgages comprising the tranches, while the qualifying criteria for mortgages went out the window, had, in all fairness, nothing to do with anything Bush or Clinton did. It is also safe to say that neither president had any clue as to anything Wall Street was doing or planned to do that led to this recession. Wall Street had been pushing, relentlessly, non-stop, for countless points on deregulating every aspect of the financial market industry, since forever, and, eventually, got enough deregulation passed to a point where they could, basically, print money "until the wheels fell off". And that is exactly what many did and did it exactly up until the wheels did fall off!

And now we're still hearing stories of people who, while shopping for a house in 2007 and early 2008, thought real estate agents had lost their minds by assuring them they could get a mortgage for a home much more expensive, 10's and sometimes 100's of thousands of dollars more than they had budgeted for in spite of the fact the prospective home owners knew, positively, that there was no way they could sustain the monthly payments which, in some cases, were higher that their monthly income. There are many who refused the crazy deals and stayed within their means or just accepted the fact that, perhaps, home ownership just wasn't in their cards, for the time being. Unfortunately, too many accepted.

No top economists, anywhere, saw this coming in 2005, almost no one in 2006 and very few can give evidence that they showed any concern as late as early 2008. But above the top economists, are the top traders and securities whizzes - the tip top Harvard Business minds - the ones who formulated the most noxious mortgage backed derivatives as only the best could, their complexity was that enormous - and they did it because that's why mummy and daddy paid all that money to send them to Harvard in the first place: to learn how to rape and pillage the entire nation and get away with it.

While the events leading up to the current recession happened entirely within the scope of the George W Bush presidency, one can hardly blame it on the moron who, on May 1, 2003, became the first sitting President to make an arrested landing in a fixed-wing aircraft on an aircraft carrier when he arrived at the USS Abraham Lincoln to make his "live", televised "Mission Accomplished" speech which was followed by 99% of all of the combat casualties since the U.S invaded Iraq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back