Corona virus - Covid 19 discussion

Both have been posted in this thread numerous times and they seem to be used by some media outlets, and see them on twitter, other forums, which ones were you talking about?

I think it's a deadly virus that no one has had to deal with before, and things happens that make initial predictions turn out wrong.
So far the roadmap BJ set out at the start of the year has been followed, and the final part In June seems to be getting better as we get closer, it was announced over the weekend they will also remove social distancing then too. I don't understand what you think is going to happen instead?
I am not making any specific predictions because that is foolish.
Of course they are used by media outlets. Which ones what?

I am not making any specific predictions because that is foolish.
Of course they are used by media outlets. Which ones what?
I mean which factchecking sites were you meaning when you were asking who funded them? The 2 I posted were the 2 I know best, but you said you hadn't heard of them, so was wondering which others are out there?

Are school children in the uk being forced to wear masks all day long, anyone know?
From my limited knowledge, it's secondary schools only, and they have to wear them in communal areas, so if they need to move from classroom to classroom for example, but not in class. Thats the case in a couple of schools round here, presumably it's the same elsewhere, but can't be sure.

All children 11+ have to wear facemasks IN the classroom unless they are exempt.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Yet a few months ago our Dear Leader said this was nonsensical.

They don't HAVE to do anything of the sort, from your link

Now, if pupils can't follow social distancing rules in a classroom, they are advised to wear a covering.

Did you not read what you posted? It isn't mandatory at all. I can tell you with 100% certainty, the 2 secondary schools I have first hand knowledge of, the kids do not have to wear them in classrooms.

The actual government document

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

In schools and colleges where pupils and students in year 7 and above are educated, we
recommend that face coverings should be worn by pupils when moving around the
premises, outside of classrooms, such as in corridors and communal areas where social
distancing cannot easily be maintained.
In addition, we also recommend in those schools and FE providers, that face coverings
should be worn by adults and pupils in classrooms or during activities unless social
distancing can be maintained. This does not apply in situations where wearing a face
covering would impact on the ability to take part in exercise or strenuous activity, for
example in PE lessons. Face coverings do not need to be worn by pupils when outdoors on
the premises.

Nothing in either to suggest they have to do it.

Social distancing would have been pretty difficult in my day, 30 in a class, two metres apart definitely not possible, but also you're all breathing in and out the same recycling air [during winter and cold weather the windows are shut]

This mask wearing in school will simply create feelings of fear, isolation and worry with minimal, scientifically proven benefit from covid.

The govt science lady said at the beginning last year, touching and retouching masks is a definite drawback to mask use, and yet here we are telling children to put them on and off throughout their day.

They just can't allow one part of society or life to carry on as normal, all must be affected and roped into carrying out abnormal behaviour, like some sort of national pretence, what will they do when the winter vomiting or influenza season returns, make kids wear masks for hours for that too, or bring in mandatory flu shots bearing in mind more children die from that than covid.

Social distancing would have been pretty difficult in my day, 30 in a class, two metres apart definitely not possible, but also you're all breathing in and out the same recycling air [during winter and cold weather the windows are shut]
Just to say, the two schools I mentioned have the windows open all day, and have done since they went back in September, and again just before Easter. Apparently it's freezing, and one of them tried to enforce their 'no coats on in the classroom' rule, which everyone (including the teachers ignored, so they relented after 2 days. I do wonder where some of these heads get their brains like. 30 kids and teachers in a classroom, in temperatures of around 0 and they expect them to sit there in a thin shirt and blazer ffs.

Just to say, the two schools I mentioned have the windows open all day, and have done since they went back in September, and again just before Easter. Apparently it's freezing, and one of them tried to enforce their 'no coats on in the classroom' rule, which everyone (including the teachers ignored, so they relented after 2 days. I do wonder where some of these heads get their brains like. 30 kids and teachers in a classroom, in temperatures of around 0 and they expect them to sit there in a thin shirt and blazer ffs.

They sound like they've got more common sense in your area than down south near me!

I was wondering though in a year's time, when queuing up in a shop to pay and someone behind starts coughing, as there will be other bugs going around, I think it will just create an immediate panic. Maybe once the case numbers decline further people will begin to worry less and life go back to normal, or we have to wear masks for ever more inside confined spaces.

They sound like they've got more common sense in your area than down south near me!

I was wondering though in a year's time, when queuing up in a shop to pay and someone behind starts coughing, as there will be other bugs going around, I think it will just create an immediate panic. Maybe once the case numbers decline further people will begin to worry less and life go back to normal, or we have to wear masks for ever more inside confined spaces.
Remember the good old days when you would cough to cover up a fart? Now you fart to cover up a cough :cheerleader:

Given that this thread has-sorry for the expression- Died a death. Would there be an issue with opened a new thread that casts back to discussions and arguments from this time last year from the original thread?
I would begin by highlighting posts from the start and bring them up to date to this time last year eventually. two weeks per day until we catch up or the thread needs moving on quicker. Obviously your input would dictate discussion
Any objections to it or thoughts?

Last edited:
Given that this thread has-sorry for the expression- Died a death. Would there be an issue with opened a new thread that casts back to discussions and arguments from this time last year from the original thread?
I would begin by highlighting posts from the start and bring them up to date to this time last year eventually. two weeks per day until we catch up or the thread needs moving on quicker. Obviously your input would dictate discussion
Any objections to it or thoughts?

No objections.

Thoughts. Skip past everyone of Dealer Wins Shite posts (which is all of them). Will save a lot of time.

"Pfizer to seek authorization for Covid-19 vaccine for children ages 2 to 11 in September" [CNN]

Also is seeking full approval for vaccine use [ adults ] rather than emergency use authorization:

"Progressing from authorized to approved allows vaccine makers to market and directly distribute their vaccines. It could also have an impact on vaccine mandates -- and perhaps help sway skeptics hesitant to get the vaccines now.
Some organizations say they expect to require the Covid-19 vaccine, but have opted not to while it's authorized and not yet fully approved.

"People, when they hear it's still emergency use, they still have a little concern about how far you can go with it," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN's Jim Sciutto last week.

I can't imagine any alternate universe in which i would send my 2 year old for a Covid vaccine.

My niece is about 12 weeks pregnant and is currently in a dispute with work because they want her to have the vaccine and she, quite rightly, has told them to get stuffed. Seemingly became pretty arsey when they've pointed out there's a free role going that wouldn't even have any people facing roles.

I can't imagine any alternate universe in which i would send my 2 year old for a Covid vaccine.

My niece is about 12 weeks pregnant and is currently in a dispute with work because they want her to have the vaccine and she, quite rightly, has told them to get stuffed. Seemingly became pretty arsey when they've pointed out there's a free role going that wouldn't even have any people facing roles.

I can't get my head around the mentality of an employer pressurising a pregnant woman to have a new vaccine, beggars belief, and putting anyone pregnant under unnecessary/extra stress in the workplace surely is a no-no as well.

I saw this yesterday [applies to the US I believe] it's one level for the pharma companies to have a damage exemption when an adult chooses to get vaccinated, but not the same if the employer requires it or you lose your job, anything seriously goes wrong they should be fully liable and not just to the govt scheme's £120k damages limit. [in my opinion]

600 pages later, it aint effing brain surgery
Wear ya mask, stay as/if able, a few feet apart, keep your circles small - be a part of the solution, not the problem
And I presume that you would advocate for all children to have the vaccine and have them play sports and run wearing a mask afterwards?

I would advise her to give ACAS a quick ring about this to get some clear advice on what her rights are if they keep pressurising her, as it's not right at all. Have they changed her contract to say she has to have it as a condition of employment? If not (presumably they haven't or she wouldn't have agreed) as far as I'm aware theres absolutely nothing they can do if she refuses.

This time last year I said that China would emerge as dominant and look at them now. They almost have Oz on its knees and sleepy Joe is shit scared of upsetting them

yes covid doesn't seem to have financially harmed them at all, I would have expected some downturn due to the wealthy west not out shopping as much, but then mask and ppe sales are probably bringing in millions£ to replace that export loss

I would advise her to give ACAS a quick ring about this to get some clear advice on what her rights are if they keep pressurising her, as it's not right at all. Have they changed her contract to say she has to have it as a condition of employment? If not (presumably they haven't or she wouldn't have agreed) as far as I'm aware theres absolutely nothing they can do if she refuses.
She's been getting advice/counsel from one of the Union reps i think - She's been showing me the to and fro's of the conversation (we'll ignore any possible DP issues :laugh: )and the woman who's been helping her out has been surgically picking them apart - even from the outset, no risk assessment through to the fact there is a type of work available, and they've been advertising for the post in that time, that they aren't even considering her for etc.

She's had problems with them before and we spoke about maintaining x,y,z in the advent of issues down the line (pre and post covid) so should the talk of tribunals come into play i think she has enough guns in the armoury for them by a mile.

One of those where the actual physical place of work has been ok but it's been all coming from their Head Office in England; the people who actually work there are very much 'sorry, our hands are tied'

yes covid doesn't seem to have financially harmed them at all, I would have expected some downturn due to the wealthy west not out shopping as much, but then mask and ppe sales are probably bringing in millions£ to replace that export loss
Folk have turned to online shopping and very often the likes of Amazon do not give details of where the goods where made and people usually do not want to know.
Australia was always one of the few countries that I would have considered living in. Now they are being shafted financially by China and being bullied by them.
China agreed trade deals worth billions with Oz. Oz planed and began producing to fulfill those agreements only for China to make excuses to reject those produce on bullshit grounds leaving a number of companies and Oz fucked.
China also has huge interests around the world leaving countries dependent on them.
I don't think it is Russia we should be worried about

And I presume that you would advocate for all children to have the vaccine and have them play sports and run wearing a mask afterwards?
I'd advocate for people as able and willing to have the vaccine by personal choice, and kids or otherwise to wear masks when around their friends if they cannot maintain an adequate distance

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back