Coral deny £15,000 payout on World Cup bet

You are kind of correct. If a staff member mis-sells an insurance policy or gives incorrect advice the company can be liable for all losses and damage that naturally result.

It's quite different from being liable for a mistake where there is no actual loss. In other words they are simply put back in the position they would have been in but for the mistake. You cannot legally benefit from a mistake.
But only because the error was spotted due to the loss to the company. As detailed above with the in-play bet which was voided, what would happen if MBappe got player of the tournament? Easy to say the bet lost anyway so no problem but if you spot “value” due to incorrect odds/bet being offered, that may not be your fault, or even actively seeking to exploit, you potentially put on money you may not have otherwise done.
I’m actually on the fence in respect of whether this person knew he was getting odds he shouldn’t have but that is beside the point. Given odds of 1500/1, I’m going to stick a tenner on that. Odds of 66/1, I may pass.
Admittedly the bet did contravene the rules about accumulators including related events but this is exactly what should be picked up, or at least the customer given the correct odds at the time.

I wonder if corals specifically will lose some business/passing trade because of this, that amounts to more than 15k. There was a good bbc documentary based around corals iirc, the head honcho was always interested in good PR if memory serves me, used to appear on talksport radio every morning with odds for a horse race or an offer etc...

I wonder if corals specifically will lose some business/passing trade because of this, that amounts to more than 15k. There was a good bbc documentary based around corals iirc, the head honcho was always interested in good PR if memory serves me, used to appear on talksport radio every morning with odds for a horse race or an offer etc...
I remember that documentary and I think the chap was Simon Clare. They were very fair with “genuine” PR opportunities such as paying out early or if a horse fell etc. but don’t be fooled in thinking the PR department have not been involved in this decision to deny.. A. Related. Bet.

They still do appear every weekday during the breakfast show. With the ‘Coral Daily Download’

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back