Brexit - whats the difference.....

The point for me here is it's yet another one of the 'Brexit Of Small Things', in that it's not world-ending or massively significant in the grand scheme of things, but it is yet another way that Brexit has made things worse, another tick in the 'cons' column whilst the 'pros' column remains essentially empty.

Yes in this situation the guy could have planned ahead better, but as Kroffe correctly notes above, the EU did offer a scheme that would have sorted this out, but the UK government rejected it (specifically certified lunatic Priti Patel said it clashed with TAKING BACK CONTROL OF OUR BORDERS*), the UK music industry was crying out for the UK government to agree to it.

* Yeah, how's that worked out?

1663053834892.png

I didnt check all lists, but that is pretty much what the complaints were towards the countries that showed up on the lists.
'not respecting local customs' more or less, just going by the lists people from mainlaind China seems to be the worst for that because of their lack of respect for personal space.
I think for British people its more the 'Drunk&Loud' thing people complain about, same for Germans.

I dont really have enough experience with tourists to have an own opinion, we do get tourists in Northern Sweden but they usually go much further North to visit the ice hotel or watch the northern lights and ride dog sleds etc.
Nobody wants to visit an old used-to-be fishing village in the middle of nowhere, its pretty neat.
Yes, I notice that despite the football rivalry it's interesting to see the British tend to get on quite well with Germans abroad. Perhaps because they're mostly suppressed fascists who fantasise about themselves controlling the world again, or the fact they like to swill litres of lager and make a lot of noise while they're at it. Probably a bit of both.

Don't say I never do anything nice for you Brexity types, I have found a BREXIT DIVIDEND to report on.

The only caveat is you need to already be a very wealthy millionaire banker in London.

The removal of this bonus cap would of course have been illegal under EU law, but now that we have TAKEN BACK CONTROL, the cap can be removed.

Enjoy your BREXIT BOOST everyone! *

* Please note that 'everyone' refers to rich people in London only. Mostly mates of Tories. The type of people who bankroll the Tory party and have the ear of folks like Kwarteng.

1663240433972.png
1663240468231.png

Last edited:
Well, actually you dont really have the same fish&oil money to throw around so we might treat you a bit worse.
Also, UK together with China & Russia seem to appear on all the 'top 10 worst tourists lists'
So its not only about fish and oil money, its also about manners. :p
Hell, even British people say that British people are the worst tourists.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

When they say British i presume they mean English? :p

View attachment 172461

Compared to the Brits that are known for being loud&drunk, the Scots and the Irish are known for being sober&quiet.
Would have went nice that you complimented Scots as nice people. But us Scots are Brits still. Unless that bitch has managed to get independence while i slept.

If only we were still in the EU then we wouldn't have all this bloody airport disruption.

Huh, they have inflation in France too? Didn't know that the conservatives are in charge there?

You'll fall long before us :p

What about if the Isle of Man took Scotland on and you reported to your new King: Chopley?
Chopley I the Red would have IoM in the EU with no referendum though. So there would be more borders within the British Isles than in Kew Gardens, both land and sea.

Gone will be the 10% lower tax rate in the IoM, he would raise taxes for Somali education centres and large housing projects for polygamous Afghan refugees and supplying long-range dinghies to northern France with satnavs to take them under Cornwall, past the Bristol Channel and up the Irish sea to Douglas.

The Tynwald would hence be known as 'The Skymwald'

Chopley I the Red would have IoM in the EU with no referendum though. So there would be more borders within the British Isles than in Kew Gardens, both land and sea.

Gone will be the 10% lower tax rate in the IoM, he would raise taxes for Somali education centres and large housing projects for polygamous Afghan refugees and supplying long-range dinghies to northern France with satnavs to take them under Cornwall, past the Bristol Channel and up the Irish sea to Douglas.

The Tynwald would hence be known as 'The Skymwald'
The state subsidised I Pad for low income families would become:

Screenshot 2022-09-15 at 17.46.01.png

I'm afraid that after yesterday's splendid news that Brexit has enabled millionaire London bankers to get even richer, thanks to the removal of the cap on bankers' bonuses, (which as we all know was exactly what Red Wall Labour voters had at the top of their lists of Brexit Benefits they wished to see), we do now have some downbeat developments to take a look at. Can't win 'em all!

Remember, Covid happened to everyone, the war in Ukraine is impacting everyone, the one extra thing the UK has is Brexit.

Yes other countries are struggling with various challenges, but the UK has a unique extra drag on it, and that extra drag is Brexit, it's the dead weight in the boot of the car we can't get rid of.

1663329561814.png

Bear in mind, the pound is the weakest it has been for 40 years. Our exports have never been more competitively priced. But it’s not enough if you create the harshest trade barriers and red tape of any government in generations. All with our nearest neighbours too.

On the current trajectory, the average Polish household will be better off than the average UK household by the end of the decade.

1663329643082.png

And there's this as well. Every single wound, entirely self-inflicted.

1663329743296.png
1663329760640.png

In the meantime in the holy continent that is called Europe, total exports minus imports back in 2021 was 14.9bn positive.

Forward a year and total exports minus imports is 32.5bn negative.

Source:

Perhaps Brexit has something to do with that too?

As for the bankers getting richer because of the proposed removal of the bonus cap, good luck to them. It does not affect me or anybody else in the country. I would argue more income tax and NI to be paid into the coffers of the Government.

But I understand why Europe is not so keen on it. It may mean bankers in Frankfurt packing their bags and moving to London instead. After all, haven't they been in competition with eachother for donkey years, even when the UK was still in the EU.

It's hard to know where this belongs really, you could make a case for the General Election thread, also for the Leadership Contest thread, but on balance I think it's most appropriate in here.

Let's start with a simple image:

1663490789980.png

The pound is in trouble, and there are worried heads in Downing Street. Truss and Kwarteng may think that they can borrow and tax cut their way to growth, the problem she has is no serious economists, and particularly the world markets, agree with them - and this is being priced in against the pound.

Normally when your currency falls in value, you get a boost in exports, because your stuff is cheaper for people to buy using other currencies, the problem the UK has is that it kneecapped itself by leaving not only the EU, but crucially, the Single Market and Customs Union at the same time. We are simply not seeing the boost in exports that a weak currency normally engenders, because trading with the UK is such a ballache.

British exporters are bleeding out, there's no way for them to competitively fight through the morass of red tape and bureaucracy that Brexit has inflicted upon them, so many have either massively reduced their trade with the EU, or stopped altogether. Those who are sticking with it speak endlessly of the shocking drag that Brexit has placed on their businesses, many have had to set up subsidiary companies in EU countries because doing it UK<>EU is just so painful, which leeches out money and jobs from the UK economy.

At a Belgian airport, a UK traveller took pictures of a billboard, written in English, that was inviting UK companies to relocate to Belgium, to benefit from seamless access to the EU single market.

There's no level on which Brexit can be defended, even if you just wanted to stop the dinghies coming across the channel, it's failed completely at that. If you voted for Brexit, for whatever reason, fine, everyone makes mistakes, but the key thing to do when we make a mistake, is to own up to it, and seek to fix the damage it has caused.

Because, and let's be crystal clear about this, Brexit was a mistake, that much is abundantly clear on every single conceivable, measurable metric. We're at the point now where to attempt to deny it is to deny objective reality, we're at the point now where to continue to defend this shitshow, is to actively act against the UK's best interests, to continue to defend Brexit at this point in time, is to actively participate in harming the UK.

The patriotic course of action now is to oppose the damage that Brexit has done, and continues to do, every single day. We need to get back into the Single Market and Customs Union ASAP, I'm not talking about rejoining the EU, I know that's probably 15-20 years away, but something needs to change, and quickly. Truss's hairbrained scheme to increase government borrowing whilst cutting taxes (for the wealthy!) isn't going to work, no serious economist thinks it's going to work - a change of course is needed.

This is no longer about, 'LOL REMOANER, YOU LOST GET OVER IT, LOSER!", because I didn't, I didn't really lose anything, I didn't even vote in the referendum because I was not eligible to do so.

The UK lost, it hasn't got over it, and it isn't going to get over it. The only question now is how long are we going to stand by and watch as our country suffers.

Last edited:
It's hard to know where this belongs really, you could make a case for the General Election thread, also for the Leadership Contest thread, but on balance I think it's most appropriate in here.

Let's start with a simple image:

View attachment 172572

The pound is in trouble, and there are worried heads in Downing Street. Truss and Kwarteng may think that they can borrow and tax cut their way to growth, the problem she has is no serious economists, and particularly the world markets, agree with them - and this is being priced in against the pound.

Normally when your currency falls in value, you get a boost in exports, because your stuff is cheaper for people to buy using other currencies, the problem the UK has is that it kneecapped itself by leaving not only the EU, but crucially, the Single Market and Customs Union at the same time. We are simply not seeing the boost in exports that a weak currency normally engenders, because trading with the UK is such a ballache.

British exporters are bleeding out, there's no way for them to competitively fight through the morass of red tape and bureaucracy that Brexit has inflicted upon them, so many have either massively reduced their trade with the EU, or stopped altogether. Those who are sticking with it speak endlessly of the shocking drag that Brexit has placed on their businesses, many have had to set up subsidiary companies in EU countries because doing it UK<>EU is just so painful, which leeches out money and jobs from the UK economy.

At a Belgian airport, a UK traveller took pictures of a billboard, written in English, that was inviting UK companies to relocate to Belgium, to benefit from seamless access to the EU single market.

There's no level on which Brexit can be defended, even if you just wanted to stop the dinghies coming across the channel, it's failed completely at that. If you voted for Brexit, for whatever reason, fine, everyone makes mistakes, but the key thing to do when we make a mistake, is to own up to it, and seek to fix the damage it has caused.

Because, and let's be crystal clear about this, Brexit was a mistake, that much is abundantly clear on every single conceivable, measurable metric. We're at the point now where to attempt to deny it is to deny objective reality, we're at the point now where to continue to defend this shitshow, is to actively act against the UK's best interests, do continue to defend Brexit at this point in time, is to actively participate in harming the UK.

The patriotic course of action now is to oppose the damage that Brexit has done, and continues to do, every single day. We need to get back into the Single Market and Customs Union ASAP, I'm not talking about rejoining the EU, I know that's probably 15-20 years away, but something needs to change, and quickly. Truss's hairbrained scheme to increase government borrowing whilst cutting taxes (for the wealthy!) isn't going to work, no serious economist thinks it's going to work - a change of course is needed.

This is no longer about, 'LOL REMOANER, YOU LOST GET OVER IT, LOSER!", because I didn't, I didn't really lose anything, I didn't even vote in the referendum because I was not eligible to do so.

The UK lost, it hasn't got over it, and it isn't going to get over it. The only question now is how long are we going to stand by and watch as our country suffers.
And you do know that the Euro has been dropping against the dollar all year as well and is forecast to continue dropping.

Also the Japanese Yen is getting severely dumped , there is talk of the Japanese government having to do an intervention to prop it up ..

World events in the last 2 years have caused a shit show everywhere around the globe .

Much easier to blame Brexit though .

And you do know that the Euro has been dropping against the dollar all year as well and is forecast to continue dropping.

Add to that, as I mentioned last week, the Euro zone is running at a trading deficit. What with the lower Euro you would have thought their exports must be booming, alas that doesn't appear to be the case either

Add to that, as I mentioned last week, the Euro zone is running at a trading deficit. What with the lower Euro you would have thought their exports must be booming, alas that doesn't appear to be the case either

But you're not comparing apples with apples, that's the EU trade deficit with the rest of the world, and an awful lot of that number is down to energy imports, there are 27 countries in the EU and they're all still merrily trading with each other. The UK cut itself out of that trading bloc and is now really struggling as a result.

No one's saying that economies around the world aren't facing challenges, but the UK has put itself in a uniquely difficult position because it decided to isolate itself from its major trading partner. We basically imposed economic sanctions on ourselves.

Let's turn it on its head, does anyone think Brexit has made any of this stuff better for the UK?

It's always the same response - BUT THE EURO, BUT THE YEN, BUT COVID, BUT UKRAINE, BUT GIVE IT ANOTHER FIVE YEARS. Brexit has had more excuses made up on its behalf that I can possibly count, and this is for something that we were promised was going to improve things!

I'm old enough to remember when people in this very thread were telling me how great Brexit was going to be once we'd finally left the EU, now that we've actually left, and have been out for a while, I notice those commentaries are conspicuous by their absence - and instead it's been reduced to, 'Look over there, a bee!'

But you're not comparing apples with apples, that's the EU trade deficit with the rest of the world, and an awful lot of that number is down to energy imports, there are 27 countries in the EU and they're all still merrily trading with each other. The UK cut itself out of that trading bloc and is now really struggling as a result.

No one's saying that economies around the world aren't facing challenges, but the UK has put itself in a uniquely difficult position because it decided to isolate itself from its major trading partner. We basically imposed economic sanctions on ourselves.

Let's turn it on its head, does anyone think Brexit has made any of this stuff better for the UK?

It's always the same response - BUT THE EURO, BUT THE YEN, BUT COVID, BUT UKRAINE, BUT GIVE IT ANOTHER FIVE YEARS. Brexit has had more excuses made up on its behalf that I can possibly count, and this is for something that we were promised was going to improve things!

I'm old enough to remember when people in this very thread were telling me how great Brexit was going to be once we'd finally left the EU, now that we've actually left, and have been out for a while, I notice those commentaries are conspicuous by their absence - and instead it's been reduced to, 'Look over there, a bee!'

Just putting some perspective on it, that's all.

You see, I closely follow the politics in my home country and as I have alluded to a number of times, you may as well watch the UK politics, just in a different language. Same problems such as the influx of immigrants, the standard of living crisis, the handling of Covid. You name it, what we had/have here in the UK is being repeated in Holland and without a doubt in Germany et al.

Blaming Brexit for it, rather gleefully as you do if I may add, is not the answer to the crisis. There are many worldwide factors involved that have absolutely sod all to do with Brexit that is putting pressure on people around the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back