Absolute Poker is absolutely rigged. (New evidence, near certain proof its rigged).

AP Hand Histories

Are you serious that they only keep two months of hand histories? That in and of itself should be a big red flag to anyone... it costs virtually to save hand histories. I can't think of any good reasons for this and can think of many bad ones... is this commonplace in the online poker industry?

That's what I was told as well when I wanted to get a hand history/tourney summary _before_ this scandal with AP occurred.

More likely than not I suspect there's only a couple months of _easy to retrieve_ hand histories -- I suspect older stuff can be retrieved in the event of an emergency/audit.

Jeff

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

It's nice to know their inability to pay their bills helps to get the word out on their cheating. See the bolded line.

The old maxim about media moguls warns against picking fights with people who buy their ink by the barrel, but last week a marketing firm showed that it was not to be trifled with after it distributed a news release trying to shame a client that owed it money.

In a statement sent to about 100 newspapers, Publicity Guaranteed, a marketing firm in Fairfax, Va., said it was owed $43,000 by AbsolutePoker.com, an Internet gambling site based in Costa Rica.

Nat Kurok, senior vice president of Publicity Guaranteed, said he initially had reservations about working with a client both in such an industry and incorporated offshore.

But there was an angle he found irresistible: the site offered college tuition in online poker tournaments.

Publicity Guaranteed has a novel approach where it charges only for each article it successfully pitches; in 2005 and 2006, articles about the tuition contest appeared in more than 40 newspapers, including USA Today and The New York Times. According to court documents in a suit that Publicity Guaranteed won last year in Arlington County Circuit Court in Virginia, Absolute Poker paid $37,000 for the first wave of publicity, and then did not pay publicists for the rest.

Reached Friday by telephone in Costa Rica, an Absolute Poker executive, Paul Leggett, said he would call back with a comment but did not.

Recently, the poker site has had plenty of publicity, but not the helpful kind. After accusations of cheating by players, the company issued a statement admitting a security breach that was horrendous and inexcusable.

Dozens of Web sites covered the matter; the news release from Publicity Guaranteed linked to 37 of them.

Were just saying were someone else that got shortchanged by Absolute Poker, and this should be public knowledge, Mr. Kurok said, adding that other clients who miss payments need not worry about his firm growing another head.

There are some clients that have trouble with cash flow and were flexible, he said.

Update

GRIMARD ACCUSED IN ABSOLUTE POKER CHEATING ISSUE (Update)

Incommunicado and reportedly in Canada

One of Absolute Poker's principal outlets for 'unofficial' company statements, the gambling information portal 911, has come out openly in identifying allegedly terminated employee AJ Green aka Alan John Grimard, describing him as: "The culprit in a notorious Absolute Poker 'internal cheating' scandal" and carrying his photograph on its website.

The website claims that Grimard has been located in his native Canada and gives his Hotmail email address, apparently provided by a former colleague at Nine.com who from his comments clearly has a personal dislike for the Canadian. 911 wisely stops short of publishing more details, although these are apparently within its knowledge.

Implicit in the accusation is the presumption that Grimard, who worked for Absolute Poker, is the "trusted consultant" to which earlier Absolute Poker statements referred when the online poker site finally admitted that the player community was correct in deducing that significant cheating had taken place in a poker tournament. Evidence suggested that a player in the tournament could see other players' hole cards.

No further word has been heard on Scott Tom, the other shadowy figure linked to Absolute Poker and the cheating scandal by player community sleuthing.

Investigations into the incident by gaming audit experts Gaming Associates, commissioned for the task by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, are believed to be ongoing, although the licensing jurisdiction as not issued any further reports to date.

Absolute Poker is wholly owned by Tokwiro Enterprises ENRG, a Kahnawake company owned by the former chief of the Mohawks who figured in the introduction of the KGC as a licensing jurisdiction.

Emails sent to the email address alleged to be Grimard's and inviting his side of the story have thus far gone unanswered.

I will make one last post in this thread...
I will eat a little crow.
I am sure some will enjoy it more than I do.

This is the response I received from Absolute Poker (chipleader) when I requested a copy of the hand history for the $1000 buy in tournament that started this whole thing.

FYI - I already had six copies of the hand history for this tournament four copies provided to me by players and two copies from Adanthar (provided to him by different players) and a copy of the data dump excel hand history file. I just wanted to see what AP's response to my request would be and if the Hand History matched.

Anyway without further delay here is Absolute Pokers Response to my request for the hand history.

Dear XXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting us.

We could not find any tournament with ID #1883389.

Please double check and let us know the correct TID and also, for security reasons, please explain to us the reason why you need this information.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you require further assistance or additional information.

Best regards,

Sergio
UltimateBet ~ Customer Support
'The Ultimate Poker Experience'
Support@UltimateBet.Com

Ensure the security of your account! Never give out your password and change it frequently!

I was wrong about Absolute Poker.

Absolute Poker flat out lied to me.

Once someone outright lies to ya, no way you can believe anything they say.
I have cut my business ties with them and I have Rogued both Absolute Poker and Ultimate Bet.

FYI - I did provide the information Serigo asked for on the 18th... AP has yet to respond.

Email from AP

this was in response to m applying for a super user acct...lol

Dear Valued Customer,

I am the former Grand Chief of the Mohawk Territory of Kahnawake and the owner of Tokwiro Enterprises ENRG, which holds a 100% interest in Absolute Poker.

As many of our players are aware, there has been a security breach in our system that allowed unlawful access to player information that resulted in unfair play. I am writing to you today to let you know what we know so far in order to set the record straight, and to assure you of APs commitment to player security. I am sure that this letter will not address all of the questions and concerns you may have, nor will it extinguish the heated discussion surrounding this issue. At this point, our intention is to let you know all we can disclose and to assure you of our continued efforts to keep you informed as best we can as the investigations continue.

We deeply regret this situation has occurred. A breach in security in online poker is serious and of great concern to players and the industry worldwide, and this particular situation has been the subject of debate within the poker player community and in the media, giving rise to the creation of several websites and hundreds and hundreds of comments, opinions, and theories of what occurred some of which are accurate, and some that are not.

Like you, I have not been happy that during the initial stage of our investigation, AP has not been more forthcoming in providing a timely or comprehensive explanation on this matter, giving rise to anger, suspicion, and concern on the part of our valued customers. I hope that our customers can appreciate that this remains an incredibly complex and sensitive issue, and I want to give you my strongest possible assurance that we will be as forthcoming as possible on how this breach occurred and what we are doing to remedy the situation.

What We Know and Actions We Have Taken

AP was notified by a customer that a possible cheating incident occurred during a recent tournament, and in response forwarded players hand logs. This disclosure of the hand logs prompted our customers to determine that a more serious security breach had occurred. We immediately launched an internal investigation and also requested a formal audit by Gaming Associates, an acknowledged world-wide expert in audits, interactive gaming tests, and information security

Based upon our preliminary findings, it appears that the integrity of our poker system was compromised by a high-ranking trusted consultant employed by AP whose position gave him extraordinary access to certain security systems. As has been speculated in several online forums, this consultant devised a sophisticated scheme to manipulate internal systems to access third-party computers and accounts to view hole cards of other customers during play without their knowledge. As this consultant was aware of the details of our fraud detection process, the likelihood that the scheme would be uncovered through our normal procedures was minimized. We consider this security breach to be a horrendous and inexcusable offense.

We will pay for all losses suffered by the affected players as soon as our audit is finished and the amounts are determined. Although we are in the process of attempting to recover all the winnings of this consultant, any unrecovered losses of affected players will be paid by Absolute Poker so that all affected persons will be made whole.

Next Steps

We are still investigating whether the consultant was acting alone or in concert with others, and it appears at this time that all account holders are innocent of collusion and were unaware of any wrong-doing by the consultant, who was immediately terminated. We continue to investigate this matter aggressively, and all of these preliminary findings are subject to the audits currently underway. We have recently uncovered additional accounts used by the consultant that have not been publicly reported. So as to not compromise the investigation, we are not releasing the names of these additional accounts at this time, and will contact these affected customers individually.

The specific allegations of unlawful activity are being investigated both by AP and by the authorized authorities, including the Kahnawake Gaming Commission. We will continue to actively cooperate with these authorities in full compliance with the Regulations Concerning Interactive Gaming. In addition to our own investigation and the audit by Gaming Associates, we have also submitted to an audit by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission.

Please be assured that we have corrected the problem that allowed the system to be unfairly manipulated. We are working furiously to increase the safeguards within our systems. While we are satisfied that our systems are secured, we realize that our security systems must be continuously monitored and enhanced.

Without question, this incident has been unfortunate for all concerned, and we will emerge as a stronger company. I realize it will take some time and much more information for AP to re-earn the trust and confidence of our customers who are in doubt of our commitment to the highest levels of security, privacy and integrity. As we move to address and correct this situation, our valued customers have played a vital role in uncovering this scheme through various online forums and have become an active part of the solution.

With my full sincerity, I thank you, and I promise to keep you updated as we bring this situation to a close.

Sincerely,

Joe Norton

Lots0.
Thanks for your post. I've followed this thread from day one and seen both aspects of a very one-sided argument. Throughout this affair we have witnessed you fight your corner and, as an associate of AP and UP, try to protect both your interests and investment. In many repsects a vote of thanks should be forwarded to you; some of us may not have continued with our research and investigations if it wasn't in order to persuade you. And now it emerges staff at AP were not only involved but complicit. It takes courage and character to admit ones mistakes; you have come out of this with honour - AP have come out of this as crooks and liars. May I respectfully suggest you contact some of the reps and associates from reputable operators who use this site in order to replace AP from your portfolio. I wish you luck and take off my hat to you.

Question for you. I noticed that your reply was from Sergio @Ultimate Bet. I know AP and UB are both owned by the same, but why was your reply from Ultimate Bet? Is support for both AP and UB done by UB?

Dear XXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting us.

We could not find any tournament with ID #1883389.

Please double check and let us know the correct TID and also, for security reasons, please explain to us the reason why you need this information.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you require further assistance or additional information.

Best regards,

Sergio
UltimateBet ~ Customer Support
'The Ultimate Poker Experience'
Support@UltimateBet.Com

Ensure the security of your account! Never give out your password and change it frequently!

I

OK this really is my last post in this thread. ;)

...why was your reply from Ultimate Bet?
Not sure, I asked for the hand history from my affiliate contact (not Serigo) with chipleader, the affiliate program for both AP and UB.

OK this really is my last post in this thread. ;)

Not sure, I asked for the hand history from my affiliate contact (not Serigo) with chipleader, the affiliate program for both AP and UB.

That is strange........don't you think?

Anyway....as others have said, I appreciate all the informative posts about AB from everyone that contributed. I'm glad I've never played there. I have played at UB, but no more!

I'm trying to get back into Doyle's room but I'm having issues with my MG alias.

I am the former Grand Chief of the Mohawk Territory of Kahnawake and the owner of Tokwiro Enterprises ENRG, which holds a 100% interest in Absolute Poker.

What is up with this?

Kahnawake is supposed to be regulating them. Do they own them as well?

See earlier posts in this thread where Joe Norton "former chief of the Mohawks" owns Tokwiro Enterprises - a Kahnawake registered company - which own 100 percent of Absolute Poker.

AP was notified by a customer that a possible cheating incident occurred during a recent tournament, and in response forwarded players hand logs. This disclosure of the hand logs prompted our customers to determine that a more serious security breach had occurred. We immediately launched an internal investigation and also requested a formal audit by Gaming Associates, an acknowledged world-wide expert in audits, interactive gaming tests, and information security
It's like a mindless Mantra. Why do they keep saying this when it is a fact - documented in the fora and on this site's Rogue section - that it took them over a month to "launch" this internal investigation.

I wish they would just quit lying to everyone and face the facts - they only took this seriously when the Wizard published his findings and MSNBC et. al. fired a shot across their bow. If this was only merely contained in the fora, we would still be hammering these guys for answers. That's my take on this.

and yet despite all this they still have a decent amount of freaking traffic,the other day i was playing in a tourny at bodog and asked fellow players at the table if they had ever played at ap and only 2 had and neither one of them or anyone at the table heard about this fiasco..lol...incredible

Was playing hold'em yesterday in a B&M, when an AP ad came on the television. I made some comment about how they have balls to still be advertizing on TV after the whole debacle. I got mostly blank stares back from my table.....Of the 40 or so players in the room only a couple had any idea of what has happened.

Unless Cardplayer and the other Mags pick this story up, it looks like AP will likely survive without too much damage.

Charity issue

Some way back in this discussion there was talk of Absolute running charity events and either not paying the money over (I think $10 000 was mentioned?) or AP staff keeping a contest prize car.

Whilst I have been unable to verify the car, I did check with the charity to which AP claimed it had (belatedly through an admin glitch) made the donation.

Here's the response, following by relevant despatch email headers:

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

In February 2007, we received a donation in the form of a wire transfer from Absolute Poker in the amount of $7472.00.

This donation went to support our kids programs.

Sunrise Children's Foundation is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) corporation whose mission is Helping children to fulfill their potential of safe, healthy and educated lives. Our Federal ID# is 88-0306804.

Sunny Wishes,

Virginia

Virginia Stiles

Executive Office Administrator

Sunrise Children's Foundation

3196 S Maryland Parkway #307

Las Vegas NV 89109

702-731-8373 Fax 702-731-8372

Email: va@sunrisechildren.org

HEADERS:

Received: (qmail 1305 invoked from network); 6 Nov 2007 21:19:19 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO outmta-2.esr.lvcm.net) ([24.234.0.9])
(envelope-sender <fdn@sunrisechildren.org>)
Received: from sunrisefront (wsip-24-234-203-35.lv.lv.cox.net [24.234.203.35])
by outmta-2.esr.lvcm.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5C02C15303

Mason Malmuth comments that AP has refused their offer to investigate in addition to other opinions.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

That appears to me to be a very professional and generous offer from 2+2, and suggests to me a far more acceptable audit than one done by a company with whom Kahnawake and through that jurisdiction Absolute has a previous relationship.

Although AP do not seem to have rejected the proposal, their silence thus far on the matter (which they initially raised when trying to get 2+2 on-side) doesn't look promising.

QUOTE:

We at Two Plus Two dont know enough about Gaming Associates to judge its ability to conduct an adequate investigation of Absolute Poker. We do know, however, that this proposed investigation makes us uneasy for a few reasons.

First, according to its press release, Absolute Poker is funding the investigation directly, with no third party involved to ensure objectivity.

Second, Absolute has apparently agreed to allow Bluff Magazine and Pocket Fives to review the findings of the investigation without a similar arrangement for Two Plus Two. This seems strange considering Two Plus Twos role in uncovering and discussing this situation.

Finally, Two Plus Two believes that a report from Gaming Associates, an Australian company apparently dealing primarily with Antigua and Barbados companies, may not maintain the same weight and reliability as the international law firm retained by Two Plus Two. UNQUOTE

HAS ABSOLUTE POKER SPURNED INDEPENDENT AUDIT OFFER?

2+2 publisher reveals details of a generous offer to help get to the bottom of the Absolute Poker debacle

With no official progress reports yet forthcoming from either Absolute Poker or Kahnawake Gaming Commission on the promised Gaming Associates inspection, the furore caused by tournament cheating allegations continued this week.

The row stems from player investigations on the 2+2 and other poker message boards that uncovered dishonest play in an online tournament by an Absolute Poker "consultant" who apparently had sight of his opponents' hole cards.

After dismissing the allegations as impossible and untrue for over a month, Absolute Poker and its licensing jurisdiction Kahnawake Gaming Commission admitted there was a problem and announced that the KGC testing contractor Gaming Associates would be brought in to investigate. Absolute Poker is wholly owned by Tokwiro Enterprises ENRG, a Kahnawake company which is owned 100 percent by a former Mohawk chief, Joe Norton.

This week the owners and publishers of the 2+2 forum updated members on some of the behind-the-scenes activity in the scandal.
Mason Malmuth of Two Plus Two Publishing revealed that Absolute Poker had approached him and asked if Two Plus Two would confirm to its forums that Absolute had done everything in its power to address and fix the cheating allegations, security breaches, and improper activity being discussed so widely.

Malmuth told the Absolute representative that he would not make such a statement unless he believed it to be true and thought it was in the best interests of the community.

In a cooperative move, Malmuth suggested that expert and independent investigation of the scandal was required, and offered - at 2+2's expense - to commission his legal representatives to put together a competent and totally independent team to undertake such an initiative. If the results of the project indicated that Absolute Poker was safe for players, Malmuth gave an undertaking that he would post a forum notice to that effect.

"The representative from Absolute Poker who we spoke with initially agreed to these terms and I presented the investigation opportunity to my attorneys," writes Malmuth.

"My attorneys informed me that they would be willing to conduct a thorough investigation of Absolute Poker," Malmuth reports. "The law firm could immediately assemble a team of lawyers, computer specialists, and ex-government fraud investigators to fully analyze the current situation at Absolute and give an accurate report on the same. In order to accept, however, my attorneys needed to make it very clear that:

1. The investigation and report would be for the direct benefit of Two Plus Two and its forums, not Absolute Poker,

2. A positive outcome for Absolute could not be guaranteed,

3. The report and investigation would not include Two Plus Twos (or its attorneys) position on the general legality of online poker, and

4. They would accept direct compensation for the investigation only from Two Plus Two as a client."

With the initiative gathering momentum, 2+2's attorneys submitted a detailed plan for the audit, which Malmuth found reasonable and felt would be sure to produce an objective assessment. He forwarded the proposal to Absolute Poker management and.....nothing. No acknowledgement, comment or any indication that the project might move forward.

Malmuth concludes: "We at Two Plus Two dont know enough about Gaming Associates to judge its ability to conduct an adequate investigation of Absolute Poker.

"We do know, however, that this proposed investigation makes us uneasy for a few reasons:

"First, according to its press release, Absolute Poker is funding the investigation directly, with no third party involved to ensure objectivity.

"Second, Absolute has apparently agreed to allow Bluff Magazine and Pocket Fives to review the findings of the investigation without a similar arrangement for Two Plus Two. This seems strange considering Two Plus Twos role in uncovering and discussing this situation.

"Finally, Two Plus Two believes that a report from Gaming Associates, an Australian company apparently dealing primarily with Antigua and Barbados companies, may not maintain the same weight and reliability as the international law firm retained by Two Plus Two."

Explaining the reasons for publishing the update, Malmuth wrote: "First, I wanted to inform all Two Plus Two posters of the Absolute situation and our current stance on the issue. Second, I wanted to encourage discussion on whether Absolutes current investigation proposal with Gaming Associates is adequate to protect its site and the online poker industry in general."

Update

ABSOLUTE POKER CHEATS TOOK $800 000

Beleaguered online poker operator issues progress report

The Kahnawake registered company Tokwiro Enterprises, 100 percent owners of Absolute Poker.com issued a progress report as the week closed on its ongoing investigations into a cheating scandal that has seen the company widely condemned by the player community (see previous InfoPowa reports).

The report contains some interesting numbers, with Tokwiro claiming that the cheating "window" lasted for 40 days beginning August 14 and that some $800 000 was wrongfully won by the still unidentified company consultant, who was summarily dismissed - a point reiterated in the current report. Absolute Poker reimbursed players with twice that amount - $1.6 million - the progress report claims.

The company earlier revealed that the flaw allegedly exploited by the "consultant" to cheat Absolute Poker tournament players came about through a software upgrade, and that the breach has since been identified and sealed.

"The breach was exploitable only by an authorised AP person that manipulated the internal reporting software, together with the AP gaming software," the report states. "The security breach was not, therefore, the result of an external action, and no individual outside AP could exploit the breach."

The report goes on to claim that allegations of a super account are unfounded, and that there is no capability on any Absolute account to see the hole cards of other players. But it does not explain how the cheat was able to achieve such impossible winning results.

The cheater/s used accounts with the handles Potripper, Graycat, Steamroller, Doubledrag, Payup, Supercard 55 and Romnaldo, Absolute Poker claims.

All hand histories of play were retained and are being thoroughly analysed by Gaming Associates, commissioned by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission which licenses Absolute to audit the entire system. Absolute gives an assurance that any other prejudiced players who come to notice in the audit will be compensated.

The statement ends with an apology and the assurance that the site is safe and that the investigations will be reported in an open and forthright manner.

What the report does not disclose is the name of the perpetrator of the incident, arguably the worst cheating scandal in the short history of Internet poker. Nor does it reveal if his/her location is known, or whether a fraud complaint has been made to police authorities in Quebec or whether such a course of action is planned.

The report goes on to claim that allegations of a super account are unfounded, and that there is no capability on any Absolute account to see the hole cards of other players. But it does not explain how the cheat was able to achieve such impossible winning results.

So they claim it is impossible a superuser could see hole cards. But they are also not able to explain how the cheating was possible...
Basically they have gotten nowhere in the investigation.

First of all it is proven without doubt someone could see the hole cards. They should start with this assumption instead. I have not much hope for
the investigation anyway, but I hope they can do better than this.

A little 'time travel' and reset would work... hand is dealt to phantom players, recalled to server, read by employee, sent to real players... hole cards seen.

Update

MORE DETAIL EMERGES ON ABSOLUTE POKER CRISIS

Poker News interview cautious but interesting

Followers of the unfolding cheating crisis at Absolute Poker.com will have some absorbing reading over the next few days as Poker News publishes a clearly extensive interview with Nat Arem, one of the main player investigators who uncovered the debacle at the online poker site.

Poker News commendably and as an independent observer, financed a trip by Arem to Costa Rica to look into the "Holecard-gate" scandal that has rocked the online poker site following indications that up to $800 000 or more was involved in cheating tournament play perpetrated by a company insider over a period of at least 40 days (see previous InfoPowa reports). Straining its credibility, the company at first denied that anything was amiss when players uncovered the scam.

In the first interview, Poker News introduces Nat Arem as the driving force behind thepokerdb.com website. "Arem, though young in years (25), nonetheless brought extensive poker and technical expertise to the informal investigation as he and many others searched for answers, and Arem himself was the first to discover key information which strengthened many players' suspicions," says the preamble.

Arem reveals that he initially declined an offer by Absolute to travel to AP's offices and ask more questions concerning the affair. While Arem was unable to accept the initial offer for various reasons, there was still incentive for him to make the trip, to see if he could gain any insight into the allegations. To avoid any possible impropriety, or the appearance thereof, PokerNews subsequently agreed to send Arem to Costa Rica, and have him report back on what he found.

Arem starts the interview by explaining how he became involved at a stage when Absolute Poker was denying that something was wrong. He was sent the now notorious full Excel file that a player had perhaps mistakenly received from Absolute Poker (see previous InfoPowa reports) and started to study it closely with other expert players, eventually uncovering an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence that pointed to Absolute Poker insider involvement.

He refers to a "new head" of Absolute Poker without disclosing this individual's identity or who the "old" head had been.

During his visit late October to Costa Rica, Arem visited the AP offices on two days and met with the Gaming Associates auditors called in to investigate the issue on the evening of Sunday the 4th November. He was told that he could see what he wanted, except for data reserved for the audit. The restricted data included information on all of the known cheating accounts.

Arem goes on to discuss the question on every online poker player's lips: "How was the cheating done?"

"I was not able to view the cheating method first-hand," he says. "AP told me that the vulnerability had been fixed and therefore was not available for viewing.

"However, the method used to gain hole-card access was described to me as a backend tool called "Servman" that wrote the hand histories before hands were completed. As originally developed, the "game log" supposedly did not display admin-level hand histories until the hand was over. I was told that a software change in mid-June 2007 changed this feature so all hands were written to the database as the hands progressed. The timeline makes sense in a number of ways because there is significant independent evidence that AP was testing their 8.0 client in the mid-June timeframe. Therefore, it's likely that the company made a number of changes to the code on their live-game server to allow for testing of the beta client. I do not know which programmer(s) made the changes and I'm not sure whether it was a mistake or ordered by a higher-up. I was not able to examine source code of the client."

Arem was also told which of the cheating accounts nicknames applied to account #363 - a reference that appeared in the suspect Excel file, but says: "I am not at liberty to state which of the four is #363. The NDA [Non-Disclosure Agreement] that I signed at the AP offices prevents me from stating the aforementioned information."

Regarding the period in which cheating took place, which Absolute Poker has subsequently claimed was over a 40 day period starting August 14, Arem cannot be certain, but says that he has not seen any suspect hand histories outside of the August and September 2007 timeline.

"Considering the claims that the aforementioned software change happened in mid-June, it is not yet clear if there was cheating in June and July as well," he points out. "What seems most likely is the software change was noticed and exploited a month or so after being put in place. This lends some credence to the idea that the software change was a mistake and unknown by the AP executives in Costa Rica and Panama. Therefore, the most current theory is that the cheating was limited to August and September of 2007."

The interview becomes more interesting when Poker News asks Arem about Absolute's aknowledgement that something was wrong around October 18.

Arem reveals that on that day Absolute Poker informed people at poker portal PocketFives.com that they were going to admit an internal breach regarding the hole card vulnerability alluded to earlier.

"As it was described to me later, AJ Green went to people at Absolute Poker and admitted what he had done. I don't know if that is true," Arem warns. "But once Absolute agreed to admit the internal breach, the investigation shifted from one of "digging for dirt" to trying to understand exactly how everything happened. I, along with many others, spent hours and hours searching for information on how the breach occurred, how long it occurred for, who was involved, etc. I spoke to many current and former Absolute employees about the company's backend systems and what sort of mechanisms would allow hole cards to be viewed.

"My personal feeling is that a number of people knew. I think the lower-level employees were largely kept out of the loop and did not know what was going on. But as you get higher up in the company, I am told that a number of employees knew about the breach and felt that it was in everyone's best interest to cover up the whole thing as best as possible."

Arem adds: "However, it also seems as if those people who knew before the 18th only learned what was going on a short amount of time before the 18th. I don't think there were a large number of people who knew what was going on when the cheating itself was going down. I consider my sources to be very reliable; much of the information that they have provided has checked out elsewhere and I have no reason to believe that they would be misleading me on this matter."

The Gaming Associates audit of Absolute Poker is also discussed in the interview, and appears to have been planned as a three week exercise with the investigating team visiting South Korea, Quebec in Canada and Costa Rica and a conclusion date of November 9. The final audit report will apparently be released to selected media and poker information portals, as has been the case with previous statements by the company.

After meeting with three of the four man Gaming Associates team, Arem appears satisfied with their independence, reputation, competency and reputation

"....my personal opinion is that they are truly looking for holes in the AP story. They were genuinely interested in my take on things and I found them to be among the most credible people that I've talked to about this whole subject. I shared a fair amount of information with them and I hope they can put it to good use in their audit," he concludes.

Part 2 of the Poker News interview promises to be more revealing, casting light on the various personalities alleged to be involved, and how the scandal was handled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back