What was the scariest experience of your life?

Those creatures on that site are beautiful, with the exception of the scorpion, glad that's in Africa and not here, looks just like our scorpions, so scared me for a moment there.

Mommymachine, glad you made them take that little sidewinder back to the wilds where it belongs.

Just Play, funny, the puffer looks like Angelina Jolie!

I will say again, this is a great thread, it has made me laugh, gasp, heart pound and made me cry.

Wow - some truly harrowing and moving experiences here. For those of you sharing deeply moving and emotional experiences - I feel with you. That's a fact.

Bar some of the experiences I had in the military and other things in my past, one experience I had was truly frightful. It sends shivers down my spine even today.

About thirty years ago I was living in a Spanish styled home in Los Gatos, CA. It was built in the 1920s, had a red tiled roof and sat in a huge lot of several acres - an old olive orchard and twisted oaks overgrown with weeds and shrubs. You might say the house had a lot of character - well maybe too much character - read on.

I was a college student at that time, 19, and was living in the house with a couple of other students. I had the old master bedroom down the hall from the front entrance. One thing odd about the house - sometimes when working in the kitchen cutting up some veggies or something - multi-tasking by the sink - a knife would go missing - only to be found later in the bathroom. Sometimes scissors would disappear, and you'd find them someplace else. You'd think to yourself "Did I leave these here?" but brush it off on forgetfulness or being distracted. It would never work when you would think about it and deliberately watch for sharp objects to displace themselves.

One night I was alone in bed. My housemates were out of town and I had the place to myself for the weekend. It was late, and I was just starting to dose off.

Suddenly the front doorbell rang. Instantly I sat up and thought "Oh, joy!" There was a real hottie I had been messing around with at that time, and I had hoped she might be dropping by. But at the same moment, I felt a little odd. "Ding dong" it rang again, and then "ding dong ding dong ding dong" over and over and over again. I had a strong feeling that something was up - this was too weird. I was fixed frozen as I sat in bed.

And then the knocking began - and it wasn't on the front door.

Someone was knocking on the wall in the entrance hallway. It was coming from inside the house...and it seemed to be getting louder as if moving along the wall towards my room. By this time, I was cowering under my blanket.

It was a steady knocking sound that was as rapid and desperate as the door bell ringing. And then it moved to the hardwood floor and turned into a more of a banging sound. Thank gawd my door was closed because the pounding was on the floor right in front of my door. I was scared shitless.

And then it stopped. I didn't dare move, and I didn't dare remove the blanket from my head in fear of seeing some ghost lady or something standing by my bed. I just remember lying there motionless barely breathing, absolutely totally alone, and eventually falling asleep.

Nothing odd seemed to have happened again, but I always had some strange feelings whenever I was in the house by myself.

What's a shame is that this house was torn down years ago and the plot of land was developed into a subdivision. There is no character left there now, but definitely a scary memory.

Egads Bryan, you didn't even get up to see what it was, lol, seriously I probably wouldn't have either. What a spooky experience! :eek2:

Holy kaka Bryan! :eek: Did you move out the next day? Yikes, I'd have been out of there so fast...

I lived in a house in Phoenix that was funny that way - but our ghosts (if that's what it was) were a lot more playful. Things would go missing - and not small things either. We lost a seat cushion off the couch for a couple of hours once.

One time I was on my way to work, I had my purse and went to grab a coffee for the drive. I had just finished pouring my coffee and remembered I had to bring a manual that I'd brought home back to work, so I left my coffee and my keys on the counter and dropped my purse on the floor right by the counter. I ran to get the manual in my bedroom, came back into the kitchen and grabbed my cup and my keys....and couldn't find my purse. Now before you think that my kitchen was messy, it wasn't - the floor was completely bare. I looked everywhere, I went in my bedroom, I looked in the bathroom, out the front door...everywhere. I went back in the kitchen and was across the room looking toward the floor where I was positive I dropped it and thinking, "I know I left it right there..." and I got all frustrated and yelled, "Come on you guys, stop it - I'm not in the mood!" and it was like suddenly it just was there where I'd left it. It was so weird, like it just popped back into existence or something. It gave me the heebie jeebies a bit, but I'd lived there for a couple of years and by that time I was used to weird shit going on. I said thank you and grabbed my purse and went to work.

Once I was up late by myself and was watching the movie "Spawn" and my printer turned on by itself and started trying to print something. I quickly just shut it off because I didn't really want to know what they were going to tell me. :oops:

Another time I was up late working on a website and I could see someone standing behind me in the reflection of my monitor. I could actually see them move to look at something over my shoulder but there wasn't anyone there.

And once there were about 5 of us watching world cup soccer on tv when suddenly someone poked their head in the front door for a second. We all saw it peripherally and one of the guests turned and said, "Who was that guy?" and we said, "nobody" because although the front door was open, our security screen door was shut and looked.

Lol, I just reread this and I sound like an wackjob, but it all really happened! But I never ever felt any kind of threat in that house, it was just playful - to me anyhow. My roomie got on their bad side a couple of times, but he deserved it. :D

Suddenly the front doorbell rang. Instantly I sat up and thought "Oh, joy!" There was a real hottie I had been messing around with at that time, and I had hoped she might be dropping by. But at the same moment, I felt a little odd. "Ding dong" it rang again, and then "ding dong ding dong ding dong" over and over and over again. I had a strong feeling that something was up - this was too weird. I was fixed frozen as I sat in bed.

It probably was the hottie screwing with you, maybe she was pissed of that you weren't paying her enough attention. :D

Once I was up late by myself and was watching the movie "Spawn" and my printer turned on by itself and started trying to print something. I quickly just shut it off because I didn't really want to know what they were going to tell me

Maybe they wanted to tell you that movie sucked. :D (I have never seen it)

Just messing with you guys...Whenever I mention ghosts to my hubby, he rolls his eyes at me...even though he had seen one before...he was walking out the door of a store he was supervising, proceeded down the sidewalk, and he got a glimpse of a man in a top hat and a trenchcoat, hubby even moved aside so not to bump into him, and poof, no man.

Maybe they wanted to tell you that movie sucked. :D (I have never seen it)

Just messing with you guys...Whenever I mention ghosts to my hubby, he rolls his eyes at me...even though he had seen one before...he was walking out the door of a store he was supervising, proceeded down the sidewalk, and he got a glimpse of a man in a top hat and a trenchcoat, hubby even moved aside so not to bump into him, and poof, no man.

:lolup: Hey I never though of that, you're probably right about the movie. It did suck, the only really good part was the cape.

Speaking of clothing...top hat and a trenchcoat - sounds like the guy who's outside my bedroom window.... :eek2:

Another time I was up late working on a website and I could see someone standing behind me in the reflection of my monitor. I could actually see them move to look at something over my shoulder but there wasn't anyone there.

I probably would have peed myself. :oops:

Seriously, that is scary shit. I have seen ghosts, when I was little I would see them alot. This apartment we live in now is kind of scary sometimes, but only in one room, my son's bedroom for some reason just gives off weird vibes.

we had a little girl who lived with us for a very long time.

we lived across the street from a graveyard so i think maybe thats where she came from.

i won,t get into the whole story but i will tell one part which my family and i have always thought was very funny.

the little girl use to call mommie alot but only to me so i think she was trying to find her mom.

but one night i woke up to someone calling mommie and i looked across the hallway into the kids room where my boys were sleeping on the floor.

i saw what i thought was my little boy standing over his brother getting ready to pee on him.

when i jumped up and ran in there they both were asleep on the floor.

she use to turn on the t.v and one day when we got back to r house the microwave was set on 666. i don,t think she was the one that did that

but not too much of it gets to me caz all my life i have had things like this happen to me.

the other morning i was sleeping with my babys and i heard someone right by my ear whispher my name and when i opened my eyes i knew on one would be there and there was,nt.

and then when i left the room later that day i came back in and there was a card that i had gotten for my husband laying on the bed and the day before all of this started my cross that i wear all the time broke off while i was sleeping soooooo.:eek2:

i could tell you guys things that would scear the crap out of you.

we had a little girl who lived with us for a very long time.

we lived across the street from a graveyard so i think maybe thats where she came from.

i won,t get into the whole story but i will tell one part which my family and i have always thought was very funny.

the little girl use to call mommie alot but only to me so i think she was trying to find her mom.

but one night i woke up to someone calling mommie and i looked across the hallway into the kids room where my boys were sleeping on the floor.

i saw what i thought was my little boy standing over his brother getting ready to pee on him.

when i jumped up and ran in there they both were asleep on the floor.

she use to turn on the t.v and one day when we got back to r house the microwave was set on 666. i don,t think she was the one that did that

but not too much of it gets to me caz all my life i have had things like this happen to me.

the other morning i was sleeping with my babys and i heard someone right by my ear whispher my name and when i opened my eyes i knew on one would be there and there was,nt.

and then when i left the room later that day i came back in and there was a card that i had gotten for my husband laying on the bed and the day before all of this started my cross that i wear all the time broke off while i was sleeping soooooo.:eek2:

i could tell you guys things that would scear the crap out of you.

Hey we'll have to do this for halloween next year!

Hey we'll have to do this for halloween next year!

I just found this thread and was thinking "this would have made a great Halloween thread" and then there was your post Chayton. Great minds think alike.

Reading these stories are scary in my opinion :D. Kauphy I have to say I could never live where you live, with snakes, lizards etc. I am completely terrified of creepy crawlies and am glad to be in NZ and not Aus!:notworthy My life seems pretty boring compared to these stories. I only have one similar to Bryans but nowhere near as scary.

When I was about 10 years old we lived on a large farm (station) where my father was the manager. My best friend at the time lived 2 minutes walk from me in the old farm homestead where the farm workers lived. Her mother lived there to cook for the farmworkers. Anyway, I stayed frequently at her place and vice versa. Many nights we would stay awake listening for the ghost that would walk up and down the veranda. At times you could even hear a baby crying as if in the distance. My mother and my friends mother always thought the footsteps were the mother looking for her child. Turns out there was an old cemetary (very small as belonged to the station) with about 10 graves in it that was due to be destroyed on the farm. I think the sounds were so frequent because they were destroying the gravesite but that's only my theory :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back