What was the scariest experience of your life?

chayton

aka LooHoo
webmeister
PABnonaccred
CAG
I was just reading the news story about the Florida school board guy and was thinking how scary that would be, and just realized that the two scariest moments in my life both had people pointing guns at me.

When I was a teenager I worked at a convenience store and I was working one night by myself and someone came in and pulled a gun on me and stole all the money from the register. (I played myself on Crimestoppers.)

The second time was when I was living in Phoenix and it was the cops - we had a helicopter above us and 5 or 6 policecars surrounding us and all the cops had their guns pointed at us. It was totally mistaken identity. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :oops:)

What about you guys?

That must have scared the absolute crap out of you mate! I haven't actually met up with a gun facing toward me as Australian gun laws mean there isn't that many around.

Now my 2 scary experience are nothing compared to your's but I did think I was a dead man on both occasions. Australia has the worst surf rips in the world and I didn't experience the sea until I was in my 20s. My mate who was a really experienced surfer suggested swimming at a notorious beach near Adelaide.
I was swept out about 500 metres and could only swim about 50 metres. Just when I had gone down for the third time and I started to see really peaceful pictures and actually stopped swimming, I miraculoulsy stood on a sandbank. It was just for a couple of seconds before I was hit again but it gave my mate time to get out to me and saved my life.

The second near death experience was just as silly and only 3 years ago. I was pumping water from my dam to my tank on my 3 acre property when the pump ran out of petrol. I topped up the tank not realising the red hot muffler was directly below the fuel tank. It was just like on the Roadrunner show when the coyote has the lit stick of dynamite in his hand. I saw the flame spewing from the exhaust and up into the one gallon tin I was pouring from and it seemed to take forever but I couldn't react. I just had the words "oh shit" going through my mind. Luckily the explosion blew me into the dam water and I only received bad burns to one hand, lost a bit of hair but lived to fight another day.

I have seen many scary things in my life.
And all the Nurses here can say the same.
But the worst I have seen is the time I was doing a internship at a Hospital in the OR where a "Nut Case" I mean patent came in from a Sober Recovery & Alcoholism Drug Addiction center.
As he was laying in bed I bent over to check his vitals & bammmm a needle went into my neck by this patent.
And after that I became a Victim' in the OR and they had to take blood work stat.
Well thank God it turned out ok & I had to be tested Monthy for a year & that was ok too after that.
After I went back into this patients room to see what was going on & here he was stabbing himself in the chest & head with blood everywhere.
It looked like something you would find in a horror movie but it was real.
He did end up dead after.
It was just a scary thing to see as a newbie to this stuff.

I had some clown whip a knife out on me on a bus when I was younger. He asked me for all of my money, to which my response was "no, i'll give you half". Ever the businessman! He got caught a few days later and I got to witness him sob as he was sent down for 9 months. Well worth the £40 :thumbsup:

In 2009 I had my son Nicky. I went in to the hospital with pains, but it was a couple of weeks before I was due. We drove about 1 1/2 hours to the hospital, I got there and they did an ultrasound. The Ultrasound tech says "Oh, that's not supposed to be there" and that was all she could say.

I went back to the exam room, and the Dr. came in to send me home. I got up to use the bathroom and blood gushed out of me, kinda like my water broke, but it wouldn't stop. Next thing I knew I was in the OR being put under general anesthesia.

The Dr. was in a panic, I could feel the scalpel on my stomach, and I said "aren't you going to numb me?":what: His response was "there is no time for that":eek:

I freaked out, I didn't know what was going on. They gave me the medicine to knock me out, and I could feel my whole body like paralyzed. I can't explain it, but it took longer than usual for me to go under. I thought I was dying for sure.

The only thing going through my mind was who was going to take care of my children. My son was born, and he spent a couple of days in the NICU. He is healthy as can be now, but man that was friggin scary. That was my 6th C-Section :eek2:

That had to be the scariest moment ever so far.

the two scarys things that have ever happen to me.

i was holding my 6 week old son my frist baby and he had been sick but the doc said that it was nothing even tho i said there was something wrong.

well i was holding him and he looked up at me and his eyes rolled back in his head and he stopped breathing.

i sceamed at my mom and she took him and thank god we had a friend who knew c.p.r caz we lived way out in the boondocks and he was there at the time.

called 911 and it was busy(no kidding)

they got him breathing and we jumped in the car and took off but he stopped 3 more times before we got to help.

spent 30 days in the hospital. needless to say i never went back to that doc and i cussed his nurse out the day after we got home from the hospital they called and told me he had a check up and i needed to come in and in no nice words i told her what i thought of the doctor.

the second one.

is when someone who claimed they loved me beat me so bad i almost died

it was,nt really that bad caz i went to a place that was all black but it was nice there i could,nt feel myself being hit on anymore and it was like i was floating in blackness it felt almost like black liquid.

and i did,nt want to come back even tho i thought of my son but i knew my mom would take care of him.

but then i felt like i was pulled back and i heard the guy yelling come back i,m sorrie i did,nt mean to do that to you please come back.

then i felt him shaking me that was the 2nd one.

ya it was bad ended up having my arm shattered by the person and had to have surg on it.

they took all the bone out from my elbow caz there just was,nt much lifted.

but its all good that why my mom calls me a surviorer:)

ya it was bad ended up having my arm shattered by the person and had to have surg on it.

they took all the bone out from my elbow caz there just was,nt much lifted.

but its all good that why my mom calls me a surviorer:)

Well kudos to you for coming through it, I can't even imagine. Hope the person who did it went to prison or is buried in a shallow grave in your back yard. :thumbsup:

The scaries moment I ever experienced was when I was young (14 years old or so) and was standing at the roof of our house (9-floor building!), enjoying the scenery. Suddenly a wind started blowing so hard, that I almost fell from the roof, but at the last moment I managed to grab parapet and was dangling at 30 meters height.
It was a miracle how I was able to grab a parapet with my another hand, pull myself up and a get back on the roof.
I was lying at the roof about an hour trying to stay calm, because my heart was beating as hell 160 beats / min.

o.k guys i have to add this to what i put earlyer.

tonight at about 12 my 19 year old son walked into r room and handed me a white paper and i said what you do get a ticket?

and he said no mom somebody try to shoot me.

he was at a gas and grub talking to one of his friends who work there.

they only do the drive thought at night so my son was talking to him thought the window when my son saw two guys walk in front of him and go around the corner.

he had a gut feeling something was wrong and he told he friend that he was leaving so he started pulling away and the guys came out in front of his car and was trying to get all the way in front of him i guess so he would have to stop.

my son was going around them when he saw the white guy pull a gun from his paints and pull the laver back.

they were right by my sons window and they told him brace yourself and pointed the gun at him.

my son told me he thought two things that he could hit the one with his car but thats not the one that had the gun or give her gas and get the hell out of there.

i guess his friend put his head out the window of the store and yell what the hell r you doing and they aimed the gun at him so my son hit the gas and took off down the street and called 911 as did the kid that was working at the store.

it took the cops 20 min to get over there and then after my son had been home for about an hour the kid that works at the store where it happened told my son that the other gas and grub store just got robbed.

and they carjacked a car so i hope whoever they took the car from did not get hurt or killed as i think was their plan for my son and the other kid who was working at the store.

sorrie i know you only asked for 2 but i think this one takes the place of the other one in pissing me off and scearing the hell out of me.

i don,t know which one is worse the need to go find them and make sure they never do this to anyone eles or never letting any of my kids out the front door again.

i,ll let you know which one wins out caz i know the cops up here will not do a damn thing about this and my son could be dead tonight along with his friend and the people they stole the car from.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Excluding some scarey stuff on military ops, I would have to say nearly losing my youngest son in one of those stupid but classic swimming pool incidents when he was very young.

I was barbequeing, and my wife's attention was distracted for a very short time and that was all it took - he slipped through a swim ring and by the time the alarm was sounded by the other kids and we had dived in and scooped his body back to the surface he was cyanosed, mucousy, eyes glazed, no sign of breath or heartbeat.

Fortunately my wife was/is a fully qualified nurse and I had rudimentary resusitation training, so we worked as a team and after what seemed a lifetime he spluttered, took a breath and bellowed his lungs out - along with half the pool.

He survived unscathed to grow into a normal, healthy guy, but it was a terrifying experience, and neither of us was able to leave his side for the next 24 hours due to an illogical fear that he might again stop breathing!

I have had plenty of scary moments in my life, mostly during my early years, but after finding the man I fell in love with and married, all that became a thing of the past, only leaving me with insecurities that sometimes becomes a hurdle in my life.

My scariest moment was the day our family doctor came to our home 8 years ago and told us Rob had prostate cancer. It's the word cancer, in your loved one, that seems to evoke fear where none was before.

Let what ever may happen to me, I have learned that I am a survivor, at least so far, but let something happen to one of our loved ones as others have voiced here and then we truly know what fear is all about.

As for me, personally, I guess I do have some fear about posting here again, but that's just my insecurity rearing it's ugly head.

I have had plenty of scary moments in my life, mostly during my early years, but after finding the man I fell in love with and married, all that became a thing of the past, only leaving me with insecurities that sometimes becomes a hurdle in my life.

My scariest moment was the day our family doctor came to our home 8 years ago and told us Rob had prostate cancer. It's the word cancer, in your loved one, that seems to evoke fear where none was before.

Let what ever may happen to me, I have learned that I am a survivor, at least so far, but let something happen to one of our loved ones as others have voiced here and then we truly know what fear is all about.

As for me, personally, I guess I do have some fear about posting here again, but that's just my insecurity rearing it's ugly head.

Glad to see you back posting, Mavin. Lose the fear and insecurities before they paralyze you, you have duties to fulfill in your life. And more good posts to make.

Glad to see you back posting, Mavin. Lose the fear and insecurities before they paralyze you, you have duties to fulfill in your life. And more good posts to make.

Well, there's this certain person here, that is like a mack truck coming at me in the night with the headlights blinding me, making me feel like a deer in the headlights.
But I will work on it, thank you.

Well, there's this certain person here, that is like a mack truck coming at me in the night with the headlights blinding me, making me feel like a deer in the headlights.

:lolup:

but you also have friends on here that will stand by you until the end caz we love you.

This was the first to come to mind.

I was in my early 20's and went into town to get something for my Mom. On the way back, I was in the left hand lane following a pickup truck and was side by side with a big 80's Cadillac in the right lane. Speed limit was 55 and I was doing about 60.

All of a sudden, the truck in front of me swerves into the right hand lane and there in front of me is a stopped car waiting to make a left hand turn (there was no separate turn lane). Figured I was done for and screamed (not necessarily in that order), then swerved into the right hand lane thinking the Cadillac would just push me back and I would hit the stopped car.

Cadillac driver must have seen what was going to happen and hit the brakes, but I'm not sure. Closest to death I've even been.

My vehicle: 79 Ford Pinto, forget about any modern safety features.

Lesson learned: If you can't see what's in front of the vehicle you are behind, stay back. Hard to do with all the SUV's out there...

Okay, this is really scary!

Some years back, my hubby and his son, who was living with us at the time, had gone snake hunting and had brought home a dead diamondback rattle snake.
We wrapped it up and put it away for skinning later and forgot about it.

Well, a day later Rob and I had come home late from riding around in the hills, his son Brandon was not home when we arrived. We turned on the livingroom light as we entered the room and from the corner of my vision, I noticed something out of place just under the edge of the couch.

I turned to look and freaked out when I saw the scaley coiled body of a rattlesnake laying just under the couch. I screamed at Rob, there's a snake! Rob turned and looked, saw it and jumped up on the coffee table.

Get a stick or something, he yelled at me! So I handed him this large walking stick he made from a tree branch. He took aim at the snakes body, while still up on the coffee table, couldn't see the head, so he quickly in one motion, slammed the end of the stick onto the snakes body to pin it down.

The snake didn't move, but you could see Rob quivering with fear and excitement, I was shaking too, as I was still on the floor and had not jumped to a higher place. Then it dawned on me that it wasn't moving, so I took a closer look. Hell, it was the dead snake they had brought home!

We were absolutely realing from the adrenaline this snake threw us into. I picked it up and threw it back in the bag and we waited for Brandon to get back home.

When he returned we were both giving him this look and he said, what's up? We then told him of our snake encounter and how it scared the hell out of us. He was laughing so hard, you'd think he was going to bust!

He played a joke on us, but one of his friends came by and picked him up, he forgot about setting the snake up under the couch, as he was wanting to see our reaction. But hearing our horrendous ordeal, was very funny to him. Darned kids anyways! :mad:

Another day Rob was sitting on the couch, we were talking and I was noticing something sticking up on his arm, near his shoulder, looked like a stick. I asked him, what's that on your arm? Rob looked over and jumped clear off the couch! It was a lizard, poor thing must have had a heart attack to have it's perch jump out from under it so quickly. I laughed about that one most of the day, what a brave hubby I have.

It's interesting to read this stuff! We have falling from heights, near-drowning, fire/explosions, health scares for ourselves or a family member, cars, violence, threats with weapons, and reptiles! Put it all together and it's like a really REALLY bad dream I had once. ;)

Mack TrucK?!?!?!? You calling me fat, girl? My turn to play drama queen....

I was perfectly content with our relationship until you turned on me! Broke my heart and I will never be the same again!! And THAT'S a fact!!

So, we even now, Mavin? Hope so.

Sorry for the derail Chayton, this is a very good thread.

Some years back, my hubby and his son, who was living with us at the time, had gone snake hunting and had brought home a dead diamondback rattle snake.

Ugh, thanks for a horrible snake memory.:p

Was walking along a water canal in Eastern Washington with my brother years and years ago. We were talking and not paying much attention to the path. I looked down and there was a full sized rattle snake crossing in front of us about 18 inches away. I would have stepped on the back end of it. Stopped in shock. Let it slither off and 5 feet later a big pheasant flew out of the brush right next to me.

Between the two, I was pretty "rattled.":eek2:

Mack TrucK?!?!?!? You calling me fat, girl? My turn to play drama queen....

I was perfectly content with our relationship until you turned on me! Broke my heart and I will never be the same again!! And THAT'S a fact!!

So, we even now, Mavin? Hope so.

Sorry for the derail Chayton, this is a very good thread.

The politically correct way of stating ones size is "Fluffy", fat is so yesterday.

Broken hearts, that made two of us, but super glue works wonders for broken things.

Even? Then can we bury the hatchet, or do we keep it handy?

Ugh, thanks for a horrible snake memory.:p

Was walking along a water canal in Eastern Washington with my brother years and years ago. We were talking and not paying much attention to the path. I looked down and there was a full sized rattle snake crossing in front of us about 18 inches away. I would have stepped on the back end of it. Stopped in shock. Let it slither off and 5 feet later a big pheasant flew out of the brush right next to me.

Between the two, I was pretty "rattled.":eek2:

Yikes! :eek: You didn't jump or run or anything? Well, never stick your head into an old mine shaft either, did that once, heard the buzz, looked down to my right and one was coiled up a couple feet from my head. Backed away very slowly. :eek2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back