Suggestion [user name] has read this post

petro

Dormant account, per user request
PABaccred
PABnoaccred2
This may have already been suggested.

It would be useful to have a button near the Thanks button that says: [user name] has read this post.
Sometimes, I want to let members know that I have read their post. At the moment I'm using the Thanks button to do this. But, I don't really want to offer my thanks.
It could be just me but I find this happens frequently.

The thread starter can see who has been reading, and so can Meister members and above do. Also the reps I think.

Maybe your thought are good but how would we find out? I wouldn't want a notification that someone have read my post, and I don't get back reading my post again anyway so how would I know?
Just my thoughts :)

Maybe every member should be able to see who have read the threads.
If you point at the names below you can see what time the member have been in reading, or you wouldn't know anyway if they have read the posts that are made later or not.

It would be useful to have a button near the Thanks button that says: [user name] has read this post.
Sometimes, I want to let members know that I have read their post. At the moment I'm using the Thanks button to do this. But, I don't really want to offer my thanks.
a) it probably will took lot of server resources
b) it is really does not needed, many members read threads, and i did not want to see near every post who read this threa.
I bet my left hand that this will not be done :eek2:

How do you know when a member has thanked your post? ;)

I only know that if I check Settings, or the post I made. Depends on what I have posted if I take a look there.
It's only if someone are pushing the button for Helpful post that I get a notification. To remove that I have to see what it is, so I'm not so fond of that one.

b) it is really does not needed, many members read threads, and i did not want to see near every post who read this threa.
It wont show the name of every member who has read the post. It will only show the name of the members who have clicked the "[user name] has read this post" button.
The purpose of the button is just to let people know that you are aware of the post.

I would imagine it would work similarly to the Thanks button.

Being the author of this thread I can see that Mark_32Red has read the thread.
I can imagine that a tool like this would be very useful to someone in Mark's position.

Let's imagine that someone makes a post saying; "I can't play the Bonus Wheel at Golden Lounge." ;)
Mark sees the post and clicks the "[user name] has read this post button." And that lets people know that Mark is aware of the issue.

If you have a problem then it's a smart move to send the rep a pm anyway, or talk to cs.

The thread starter can see that he have read anyway since it's him that probably have the issue :)
I don't know. I think it's too much with both the thanks and the report and the helpful.
I remember having a problem with the buttons once and everytime I clicked Thanks, the report turned up instead.I thought I was reporting posts every time. Embarrasing :D

ok, i realise(or how it is on your english language guys? :D).
This is useless. I can visit topic, go fast through post, and it will show that i read every post, while actually i did read only one(for example).
What you asking - not needed. But i do like idea to allow ALL members to see who visit each thread, not only topic starters.

If you have a problem then it's a smart move to send the rep a pm anyway, or talk to cs.

The thread starter can see that he have read anyway since it's him that probably have the issue :)
I don't know. I think it's too much with both the thanks and the report and the helpful.
I remember having a problem with the buttons once and everytime I clicked Thanks, the report turned up instead.I thought I was reporting posts every time. Embarrasing :D
:D:D:D
really should be awful feeling :p

:D:D:D
really should be awful feeling :p

It was but Bryan assured me that no report was sent if I didn't write anything :)

Another thing here is that people can't see that I have read any thread in case I don't post or thank someones post.
I like to be a little secret :cool:

Actually what would be helpful is to have a notice if someone has reported a post - that way when the spammers come visiting or someone's being a douche, there won't be like 800 reports, so that would be good for the mods. And for the rest of us, we would be able to see if the post has already been reported so we wouldn't have to do it. Or you could report it without having to make a post saying that you reported it.

Or maybe not, I don't know. Maybe if the same post gets reported more than once it's better? :confused: :oops:

hahaha....Just read this over and it sounds ridiculous. How many reports could a reporter report if a reporter could report reports.

Actually what would be helpful is to have a notice if someone has reported a post - that way when the spammers come visiting or someone's being a douche, there won't be like 800 reports, so that would be good for the mods. And for the rest of us, we would be able to see if the post has already been reported so we wouldn't have to do it. Or you could report it without having to make a post saying that you reported it.

Or maybe not, I don't know. Maybe if the same post gets reported more than once it's better? :confused: :oops:

hahaha....Just read this over and it sounds ridiculous. How many reports could a reporter report if a reporter could report reports.

You're just your normal confused you:thumbsup:

If someone behaves like a douche and I or someone else report the post, then the moderators would probably not see the same post.
It's easy to change if you see that your post have been reported...and suddenly I would be reporting nice friendly posts anyway :rolleyes:

I thought the mods liked it when a post gets reported a bunch of times. It's like many members think there is a problem post, it tells the mods that something is happening that needs their intervention. JMO

I agree, my idea was to replace one of those buttons. :D
Because really, we have 3 buttons that do the same thing; add to reputation, thanks, and the helpful.
I wouldn't get rid of the thanks button but I don't see much use for the reputation or the helpful button.
Maybe one of them can be replaced?

True, true. But some people (new posters) might not be aware of it.

It was but Bryan assured me that no report was sent if I didn't write anything :)

Another thing here is that people can't see that I have read any thread in case I don't post or thank someones post.
I like to be a little secret :cool:

Yes, there has to be some privacy. Too much information is simply brain-clutter. Superfluous. We know that it's almost certain if a member has contributed to a thread he/she will keep an eye on it anyway, and reply if they feel it necessary.
In the unlikely event you absolutely wanted or needed somebody to read a certain post you made, you'd PM them anyway. :D

As mentioned, it would take up too many resources and bog the forum down. At the moment, we have a mod that allows Meister Members and above - and the OP - to be able to see who has logged into the thread.

Being the author of this thread I can see that Mark_32Red has read the thread.
I can imagine that a tool like this would be very useful to someone in Mark's position.

Let's imagine that someone makes a post saying; "I can't play the Bonus Wheel at Golden Lounge." ;)
Mark sees the post and clicks the "[user name] has read this post button." And that lets people know that Mark is aware of the issue.
All i-Gaming reps have this enabled as well. Mark can see who has vied a thread. :D

The reason we don't open this up to everyone is to give each level of membership a certain value. As you progress the ladder of meisterdom, you get more stuff.

As for the report a post, I like it when many people report something. It shows there is some urgency in the matter. It's either a douchebag spammer or a serious weekend meltdown. :p

As mentioned, it would take up too many resources and bog the forum down. At the moment, we have a mod that allows Meister Members and above - and the OP - to be able to see who has logged into the thread.
I think I have been misunderstood.
It's not to see who has logged into the thread it's just a stamp on a post to communicate that you have read the particular post.
It's similar to the Thanks button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back