North Korea and US politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fawning in 2009 cracks me up.

yes its the silly manipulation of identity politics, it serves no good to democracy to give somebody an easier or harder ride just because of their race.

It was "Obama hysteria" after he won the election. The world thought he's going to be the new Messiah. Which he turned out to be in part, but not as much as the hype was suggesting.

Great finds! :D

That was just a quick Google images search. They're well done. The cable media does not cover it here. The cable media here does not cover international news enough, just a few big events and they're like 1-3 minute segments.

Good coverage on the Thailand football team though. That was some rescue.

It was "Obama hysteria" after he won the election. The world thought he's going to be the new Messiah. Which he turned out to be in part, but not as much as the hype was suggesting.

Hard not to like Obama but they all want to "save the country". Then encounter the swamp called Washington DC with its thousands of lobbyists.

That was some news conference in the UK. Trump would not take a question from CNN.

That was just a quick Google images search. They're well done. The cable media does not cover it here. The cable media here does not cover international news enough, just a few big events and they're like 1-3 minute segments.

Good coverage on the Thailand football team though. That was some rescue.

Indeed it was and one with a very lucky end, bar the death of the one Thai diver.

The boys got an invitation from the FIFA to attend this year's "The Best FIFA Football Awards" in September in London. That should lift their spirits and help them overcome the trauma.

Indeed it was and one with a very lucky end, bar the death of the one Thai diver.

The boys got an invitation from the FIFA to attend this year's "The Best FIFA Football Awards" in September in London. That should lift their spirits and help them overcome the trauma.

yes, sad about diver, I heard about the invite, thought it was great thing to do. gestures like that carry a lot of weight with the American people.

Last edited:
yes, sad about diver, I heard about the invite, though it was great thing to do. gestures like that carry a lot of weight with the American people.

I did my army time in an engineering corps, responsible for building pontoon bridges and clearing up mine fields. I remember one NATO exercise where we spent one night in a cave in pitch darkness as a tactical measure, we weren't even allowed to light up a fag. The experience was rather scary if I'm honest and it was just one night.

These boys spent 9 days like that before they were found. Bless them, they showed great resolve to survive the ordeal.

PS. Just to add a fun story to that NATO exercise. The next evening we were tasked to build a pontoon bridge across a smallish river, roughly 50m wide. I was driving a jeep with the commander, so rather a bystander but the next hours I turned into an emergency vehicle. Heavy rains during the night and the entire day had softened the ground and most of the trucks carrying the pontoon/boats just sank into the ground and quite a few overturned when they were trying to drive along an elevated dust road with no lights other than the marker headlamps.

At the end of the drama, there was just about enough pontoons and boats left to build the bridge. So off they went, boats in, first pontoons in until they discovered the water level was not high enough. The boats needed 1.2m and in some places it was below 1.0m. We had done a survey just 4 weeks earlier and the level was OK but since then due to dry weather it had fallen significantly. They struggled and struggled but had to give up at some point. By that time the convoy with tanks and armored vehicles that was supposed to use the bridge had arrived but we had to turn them away.

The next morning in daylight we saw then what damage all the "broohaha" had caused. Two farmers started crying when they arrived that morning as their fields had transformed into huge mud holes.

Edit: sorry this post is late and out of place here, great news about the thai boys' rescue.

I forgot he won first time round in 2008, it seems years ago I remember all the hype on the radio and tv and I must admit, based on his speeches which got a lot of replay here, I thought the US would be getting the first president since kennedy to do things differently, but in reality he was bill clinton 2 [without the philandering]. And even gave Bill's wife the very important role of secretary of state in 2009.

It just goes to show how people [grown up mature adults, I saw a fair number of bald heads in that clip] can get caught up in a media created hysteria, the kinder view is I suppose they're just going out of their way to welcome obama and michelle and make them feel comfortable, it does contrast badly with the reception trump mostly receives. [I think many people do like his wife melania though] He won't be bothered really as long as millions of americans still love him.

Last edited:
Edit: sorry this post is late and out of place here, great news about the thai boys' rescue.

I forgot he won first time round in 2008, it seems years ago I remember all the hype on the radio and tv and I must admit, based on his speeches which got a lot of replay here, I thought the US would be getting the first president since kennedy to do things differently, but in reality he was bill clinton 2 [without the philandering]. And even gave Bill's wife the very important role of secretary of state in 2009.

It just goes to show how people [grown up mature adults, I saw a fair number of bald heads in that clip] can get caught up in a media created hysteria, the kinder view is I suppose they're just going out of their way to welcome obama and michelle and make them feel comfortable, it does contrast badly with the reception trump mostly receives. [I think many people do like his wife melania though] He won't be bothered really as long as millions of americans still love him.

Differently how?

Differently how?

Well you've only got to look at a still from the vid:

obama.jpg

I haven't seen Trump get a reception like this outside of america, middle aged men crowding round trying to get his autograph or shake his hand. Trump is no angel but he has received a much harsher press from day one than any other US president I can think of, maybe though he is starting to turn the table a bit on the press, the orchestrated attacks are starting to lose momentum. people like to support the underdog and don't like to see their elected leader being bullied everyday, it starts to look unhinged.

It could be the calm before the storm and the press, perhaps with the help of the deep state, are busy preparing exposés and more stories against Trump for use in the near future during the next election process?

For my sins I have been watching bits of the peter strzoks hearing, some right dodgy characters in there, so partisan with people like nadler non stop interjecting the chairman.

Well they loved Obama because he shared their ideology.
Those hearings are always partisan dog and pony shows. I'm not familiar with Nader but I think he's a Democrat.

Of course its all planned timing, the 12 Russian indictments just before the Trump/Putin meeting.

Yes, most likely they're waiting until the November mid-terms to release whatever they have.

Well they loved Obama because he shared their ideology.
Those hearings are always partisan dog and pony shows. I'm not familiar with Nader but I think he's a Democrat.

Of course its all planned timing, the 12 Russian indictments just before the Trump/Putin meeting.

Yes, most likely they're waiting until the November mid-terms to release whatever they have.

Bob Goodlatte was really getting fed up with jerrold nadler and the other democrats, his hands were almost shaking at one point, that kind of hearing would never go on here thank goodness. But then again our intelligence operatives are rarely brought in front of mp's to answer questions, only those at the top would go in front of a committee in a public hearing, so there is a lot to be said for the US open approach. But the obstruction tactics on display in that strzok hearing should not be allowed, in a court you wouldn't be allowed to repeatedly and rudely interrupt that much.

Bob Goodlatte was really getting fed up with jerrold nadler and the other democrats, his hands were almost shaking at one point, that kind of hearing would never go on here thank goodness. But then again our intelligence operatives are rarely brought in front of mp's to answer questions, only those at the top would go in front of a committee in a public hearing, so there is a lot to be said for the US open approach. But the obstruction tactics on display in that strzok hearing should not be allowed, in a court you wouldn't be allowed to repeatedly and rudely interrupt that much.

I don't think the lack of civility is usually that bad. It's a heated issue because Hillary was supposed to win and they hate Trump.

They had Zuckerberg in front of a committee a while back that was pretty calm.

I stopped following it long ago, it became too complicated.

yeah I've seen other hearings a lot more civil than that one. Here it was the democrats being uncivil, something they accuse trump of, they were trying to stop the chairman from putting a question to the FBI man as if he was a child and couldn't answer for himself. Mind boggling. The democrats came across as unhinged, what is their basic philosophy other than hatred of Trump?

It's the same here in the UK, the labour mp's come across like strident social workers or angry students, while some of the new conservative mp's seem to have no independent train of thought or any real decent principles, very much like disciples of Tony Blair.

The dems are angry because had there been accusations and conclusions of Russians helping hilary win the presidency the republicans would have locked her up and impeached her months ago...but since it’s trump nothing sticks. They are still investigating her emails. Yet trump walks around with an iPhone that is not very secure. But that is ok.

The dems are not unhinged the media portrays them that way and all of us repeat it everywhere. Just like they portray trump in a certain way.

However the anger is real. Russians interfered in the election process and it is dismissed. And mr trump will go to Russia this week after we have indicted 14 Russians for basically waging cyber warfare and he will have a one on one meeting with putin. Can you imagine. No one around to record anything.

the republicans have put party over country and really don’t care what happens.

The lies trump repeats daily have become an international joke.

So yeah they are angry.

The dems are angry because had there been accusations and conclusions of Russians helping hilary win the presidency the republicans would have locked her up and impeached her months ago...but since it’s trump nothing sticks. They are still investigating her emails. Yet trump walks around with an iPhone that is not very secure. But that is ok.

The dems are not unhinged the media portrays them that way and all of us repeat it everywhere. Just like they portray trump in a certain way.

However the anger is real. Russians interfered in the election process and it is dismissed. And mr trump will go to Russia this week after we have indicted 14 Russians for basically waging cyber warfare and he will have a one on one meeting with putin. Can you imagine. No one around to record anything.

the republicans have put party over country and really don’t care what happens.

The lies trump repeats daily have become an international joke.

So yeah they are angry.

I think the chris steele golden showers dossier possibly damaged trump more than the russian adverts damaged hillary, and if nearly most of the mainstream american media were also against trump and for hillary doesn't that skew the election process in her favour too?

I can tell you are passionate about this issue and you are american and experience these things first hand, so I am not trying to say you are wrong and that I know more about your country than you do, I'm just giving a view.

I think the chris steele golden showers dossier possibly damaged trump more than the russian adverts damaged hillary, and if nearly most of the mainstream american media were also against trump and for hillary doesn't that skew the election process in her favour too?

I can tell you are passionate about this issue and you are american and experience these things first hand, so I am not trying to say you are wrong and that I know more about your country than you do, I'm just giving a view.

You think the msm is against trump.
And helped Hilary.
That is totally absurd.

There is equal amounts of left and right in the media. All owned by corporations and they will spin it anyway they want. For and against Hilary and trump.

The media is out of hand.

I am passionate cuz I love the USA and I do not want it to become the international joke it’s becom8ng because of mr trump.

As for the Steele dossier...that barely put a dent. No one cares. Nothing sticks. And mr trump has managed to create such distrust for any media source except his own tweets.

He says one thing out loud to the press and then he will say differently on twitter. Why. Cuz no one listens to the news. They listen to him on twitter tho.

In the UK we have no term limit; Tony blair divided opinion to say the least, but because of die hard labour voters the country had to put up with him for 10 years, at least from your point of view Trump will be gone for good in 2-6 years at most. The next decade will be interesting and worrying to see where politics goes, we've got a lot of upheaval in the UK to go through.

Tony Blair. He was popular wasn't he!

We had the mass protest marches back then too, of course it made no difference :eek2:

Even with Social Media around it wouldn't have caused any alternative outcome. Bush and pals were determined to do as they please, how's that for democracy :laugh:

So I'm afraid America's stuck with Trumpo for the foreseeable, barring failing health in his latter presidency it's not like Hillary's just going to take the reins,, she's in terrible shape herself.

But as they're stuck with him, surely better to rally behind him for the next 2-6 years, than critique how many Pepsis he consumes or his orange complexion. Counter- productivity or what :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back