Kim Jong II dies- South Korea declares emergency military alert

rainmaker

I'm not a penguin

From CNN.com (link below):

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Kim, 69, died at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, state TV said.

A broadcaster reported that Kim died due to "overwork" after "dedicating his life to the people."

Kim died of "great mental and physical strain" while in a train during a "field guidance tour," North Korea's state-run KCNA news agency reported.

More specifically, the agency noted that Kim suffered a heart attack and couldn't be saved despite the use of "every possible first-aid measure."

He had been treated for "cardiac and cerebrovascular diseases for a long period," KCNA noted.

South Korea's military declared an "emergency alert" following Kim's death, according to South Korean news agency Yonhap.

North Korean and communist party officials "released a notice on Saturday informing" members of the Workers' Party of Korea, military "and all other people" of Kim's passing, according to KCNA.

The son of Kim Il Song, the founder of the communist nation, Kim Jong Il had been in power since 1994 when his father died of a heart attack at age 82.

The enigmatic leader was a frequent thorn in the side of neighboring South Korea, as well as the United States. There have been reports in recent years about his health, as well as that power will be transitioned to his son, Kim Jong Un.

North Korea's nuclear program -- and international attempts to hinder its nuclear weaponry potential -- put Kim at odds with many world leaders in recent years, as did his governing style.

Under his leadership, North Korea was largely closed off to outside influences, fearful of threats from its neighbors and subject to decades of political socialization. At the same time, it also sought international aid after extensive famines that contributed to the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

North Korean news reports earlier this fall indicated that Kim Jong Il had been traveling around the country and visiting China, a big change from 2009 when he was thought to be ill with cancer.

Two senior U.S. military officials said then that they believed the pace of North Korea's planned regime change from Kim to his 20-something son appeared to have slowed.

The son, also known as Kim, started his career as a four-star general and in recent years was given more official duties by his father.

CNN's Wolf Blitzer, who traveled to Pyongyang a year ago with former U.S. ambassador Bill Richardson, said that "the assumption (then) was that he was sick" but still in "decent shape."

Now it is a "totally uncertain situation," Blitzer said.

112.jpg

It's been noted that, Kim Jong Il also loves to drink a certain Hennessey cognac that sells for $630 a bottle in Korea. "He is the largest customer over the last 10 years, averaging between $650,000 and $720,000 a year in purchases -- while the average [North] Korean earns only about $900 a year."

That's enough to kill anyone. :eek:

Some crazy scenes from North Korea today.

These are obviously reactions from a brainwashed and starving population. Quite hard to watch when we know that so many innocent people over the years has been tortured and killed by the dictator they are crying for.

Last edited by a moderator:
God but I hate to see human beings reduced to such mass-minded behaviour. I had the impression that the tempo of grieving rose considerably as each individual came into camera focus, suggesting that there may have been an element of stage management in the scenes, or it could be fear - if you don't show enough sorrow you're going to come in for some peer pressure or worse, but who knows what's going on in that benighted nation where life appears to be so hard and controlled.

I'm guessing that these poor buggers are brainwashed from infancy to be so subjugated and moulded. The dear departed will probably be laid out in state with a funeral to follow which might be another of those mass demonstrations of nationalistic solidarity that are impressive but sad in a way - tens of thousands of goose-stepping troops in closely packed ranks, flag waving youth leagues and lots of dangerous looking vehicles.

If you want to check out some really interesting videos on North Korea, check out Vice.com
Here is one of three videos that show describe their visit to Pyongyang

You really need to see all three. And there is another series of videos on their trip to a labor camp. Pretty interesting stuff.

A broadcaster reported that Kim died due to "overwork" after "dedicating his life to the people."

I had the impression that the tempo of grieving rose considerably as each individual came into camera focus, suggesting that there may have been an element of stage management in the scenes, or it could be fear - if you don't show enough sorrow you're going to come in for some peer pressure or worse, but who knows what's going on in that benighted nation where life appears to be so hard and controlled.

Between the censorship and propaganda within 50 years (or less) history will show that Kim Jong Il was the best and most loved leader in the world.

Some crazy scenes from North Korea today.

These are obviously reactions from a brainwashed and starving population. Quite hard to watch when we know that so many innocent people over the years has been tortured and killed by the dictator they are crying for.
Orchestrated bizarreness. What a whacky world we live in.

Can't wait for the funeral :rolleyes:

...tens of thousands of goose-stepping troops in closely packed ranks, flag waving youth leagues and lots of dangerous looking vehicles.
Whenever I see these massive parades, I always wonder when and where do these people go to the bathroom. You know it must take hours to get these troops organized and transported to the parade grounds. I can't really imagine rows of porta-potties anywhere.

If you want to check out some really interesting videos on North Korea, check out Vice.com
Here is one of three videos that show describe their visit to Pyongyang

You really need to see all three. And there is another series of videos on their trip to a labor camp. Pretty interesting stuff.

Thanks for that link :thumbsup:

It is really interesting, just finished watching the first part. The scene where he sits alone in the large banquet hall is just...:rolleyes:

God but I hate to see human beings reduced to such mass-minded behaviour. I had the impression that the tempo of grieving rose considerably as each individual came into camera focus, suggesting that there may have been an element of stage management in the scenes, or it could be fear - if you don't show enough sorrow you're going to come in for some peer pressure or worse, but who knows what's going on in that benighted nation where life appears to be so hard and controlled.

Saw this earlier and I thought to myself, "That Jetset is a prophet!" Check it out:

North Korean authorities are punishing mourners who failed to exhibit sincere sadness and despair after the death of Kim Jong Il on Dec. 17, the Daily NK reported Wednesday.

The online North Korean newspaper, which is published by opponents of the governing regime, said a source in North Hamkyung Province revealed the information. The source told the paper “authorities are handing down at least six months in a labor-training camp to anybody who didn’t participate in the organized gatherings during the mourning period, or who did participate but didn’t cry and didn’t seem genuine,” according to the Daily NK.

Got some lotto numbers for me Jet? :)

Coincidentally, I was just last evening reading about some of the ridiculous claims that were made about the dear departed leader, including his alleged ability to control the weather...it's hard for us to understand the mindset of a population that has been so misled and perhaps intimidated or otherwise persuaded that they need to think as an amorphous collective with little if any independent throught.

I'm continually amazed that whole populations continue to accept leadership in countries where the ruler has stuffed up so badly as to reduce the nation to a basket case - North Korea being an example and maybe Zimbabwe another that comes to mind.

Sorry about those Lotto numbers though - I can't even win the damn thing for myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back