How Being Nice Cost Me 50K Today !

LaurieJim

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Does it pay to be nice ?

I went into Krogers today to load my card to play at JPC today(lost lol) and went over to the lottery scratch off machine, there was a older lady behind me , had a bag of grocerys in one hand and her 2.00 in the other , I told her to go ahead of me as her hands were full, I pick the same scratch off game everytime a 2.00 Jumbo Buck, well low and behold the little ole lady picks the same one.

So I stick my 2.00 bucks in and get my ticket and we both are over at the scratch off counter scratching away, she hit 50K on what would have been my ticket had I not let her in front of me, I am just sick , sick I tell ya.

I did feel better as she was crying and said that she so needed the money and maybe it was Gods will after all, I could have used it too.

Mama did raise me right afterall, I am just going to have to quit being so danmed nice, she did let me take a picture of it with my phone and I will try to post it on here as soon as I figure that out, just so pissed at myself right now but happy for her.

Laurie ( feeling really sick now !!!!!)

think of Karma - maybe while that win would have been awesome for you, it changed her life in ways you can't fathom, and maybe it wasn't after all, your time, but rather, some greater wind-fall down the line
Be happy for the old bird - maybe that win bought her a few extra years on this planet and affected her children and grand-children in profound ways.

Yeah right ...Karma my butt.
I can't even stand reading sh*t like this :lolup:

coulda, woulda, shouldas and what ifs - who knows, she could have won, turned around, slipped on a floor tile and busted her head open....with tears in her ways, walked outside and got clipped by a bus, met a bastich who saw her win and mugged her at knifepoint - point is, she didnt win, she's with us today, and all is good - worrying about 'might have been's will drive ya nuts

Does it pay to be nice ?

I went into Krogers today to load my card to play at JPC today(lost lol) and went over to the lottery scratch off machine, there was a older lady behind me , had a bag of grocerys in one hand and her 2.00 in the other , I told her to go ahead of me as her hands were full, I pick the same scratch off game everytime a 2.00 Jumbo Buck, well low and behold the little ole lady picks the same one.

So I stick my 2.00 bucks in and get my ticket and we both are over at the scratch off counter scratching away, she hit 50K on what would have been my ticket had I not let her in front of me, I am just sick , sick I tell ya.

I did feel better as she was crying and said that she so needed the money and maybe it was Gods will after all, I could have used it too.

Mama did raise me right afterall, I am just going to have to quit being so danmed nice, she did let me take a picture of it with my phone and I will try to post it on here as soon as I figure that out, just so pissed at myself right now but happy for her.

Remember next time somewhere maybe someone will let you go in front and who knows could be a day you decided to buy a lottery ticket. That split seconds might in future change you into becoming a millionaire :thumbsup:

Does it pay to be nice ?

NO matter what brave face I put on, I'd be mightily pissed off. I can't really add anything else.

Geebus Laurie, those are indeed things that make you wonder...
But as Dionysus already pointed out, she might have really have needed it much more then you.
For whatever amazing reasons.
That said, i would also agree with dunover and LaHutti, that it seriously sucks, for you personally.

I have had similar incidents in the past, one involving 150K in a bag that i just walked past, even whilst noticing it was oddly shaped and oddly placed, i was too drunk and lazy to go check it, and the next day i read in the newspaper that it was left by bankrobbers on the run...:rolleyes:

Hope that makes you feel slightly better in the "im not alone" atmosphere:)

I think personally i would have reminded the old lady that she would not have won if you hadn't let her pass, and even asked her for exchange of addresses, so she could at least send you 5K out of courtesy?
If that would have been met with heavy resistance i might of course drop the matter, but somehow i feel nobody in that situation, would really mind sharing at least some of it?

Of course that's all smacking the dead pony, but just my 2 cents.
I hope indeed that somehow, karma will make this up to you, and soon!
And putting all this aside, it never really hurts to be as kind as you were, in fact, looking at it from the bright (-est) side, not only did you do a simple good deed, letting the elderly pass, you even made her last span of this humble life amazingly better, so your much like an angel! :D

Hugs!

Laurie you did a good deed offering an old lady to go in front of you in the queue so don't worry as God works in mysterious ways maybe he has an even bigger win planned for you.

Its hard to find people like you nowadays who offer their place to elders in the queue or buses etc

So keep your faith and I'm sure God won't disappoint you

Well I don't really believe in Karma. I don't believe in God. I do believe in just really crappy bad luck, and that is really crappy bad luck :( I would be pretty darn sick myself... I feel for you, that had to be really hard to watch :eek:

I always allow elderly people in front of me when waiting in line or give them my seat on the train. You get back what you put out both psychologically and karmaristicly (lol if thats even a real word). Roll with the good vibes. Your seat has been reserved upstairs ;)

God I feel sick to the stomach reading your story. There is nothing anyone can offer that will make you feel even a tad better and you will remember this for the rest of your life (and relive the pain every time you relay to others what happened).

What I believe though is even if you were not the gentleman you are and proceeded to the counter before the elderly lady, you would not have won this money.

Remember the movie Sliding Doors? Neither door had $50k behind it for you I am sorry but on that note, if this lady left home 20 minutes earlier or later, she still would have won the money.

My Irish Mum who I always say is pure of heart constantly told us as kids "everything happens for a reason" (that is in your best interest) - you may not know tomorrow, next year or the year after but
I promise you, before you die, it will come to light.

Most importantly, you are a good egg and life will pay you back ten fold.

.....I told you, it is not going to make you feel better, I am just stating a fact

(btw, did you tell her you were buying the same and she got your ticket?)

I'm so mad at you right now :mad:

......actually I'm upset she didn't kick you back at least 1K or something. Concise wise I don't think I could walk away knowing I won what would have been yours had you not been nice to me. Nothing a few shots wouldn't fix for me, but still kicking back a bit of the winnings would have been a nice gesture to repay the kindness.

Im sick for you.On the brighter side sometimes things are meant for others and it just wasn't your day to collect.Your day is coming and when it does i hope its big.

Laurie that just [sucks ] we always try to rationalize these things but abut god taking part well I think he is pretty busy these days

oh and my inlaw was spending a lot of money one day I said to him your spending like a drunken sailor :eek: he looked at me and said I cant take it when I leave :D

It would take me a long time to get over it and I sure wouldn't be able to rationalize it with "God's will" or "karma". That just plain sucks for you Laurie. The only positive thing is that you likely changed the life of a poor old lady.

laura that money wasn't meant for you. even if you would have went first, the 2nd ticket would have been the winner for her.

......actually I'm upset she didn't kick you back at least 1K or something. Concise wise I don't think I could walk away knowing I won what would have been yours had you not been nice to me. Nothing a few shots wouldn't fix for me, but still kicking back a bit of the winnings would have been a nice gesture to repay the kindness.

Yes, I think that may have been appropriate. Then again, from the old lady's point of view, if GW had said after 'I was just about to buy that ticket' what would your answer be? 'Yeah, right! of course you were...'. Had GW said to the lady BEFORE letting her in the queue 'don't worry I'm just here for an xxxx lotto card' then yes, appropriate goodwill gesture deserved.

I believe there was a case in the USA of a cop who promised a low-waged waitress he was friendly with a cut of his winnings if he ever won the big one, and sure enough when he did he kept his word and it made the news here on TV and papers a few years back.

Omg Laurie,that is soooo what happened to me a few years ago.
Story was a bit different but I know exactly how you must have felt.

In my case I was doing the weekly lottery on a Saturday afternoon in my local tobacco and lottery shop in Holland.
I would always buy one or two scratching tickets along with my lottery ticket.
Also I always bought the same ones:

full13914328.jpg

Well on that Saturday the girl behind the counter told me there was a new series of tickets so I thought,ah well let's try them as it was a different game with different prizes.
Bought 2 tickets and went home,won nothing on them.

When I went back on Monday to collect my lotto winnings (about €20) I was shocked as there was a big picture on the front door with a lady on it holding one of the tickets I normally used to buy.
She won the JP on this ticket which was €50.000.

When in the shop Jessica (the girl who offered me the new game to play) told me that 5 minutes after me this lady came in and bought 1 of the tickets I should have bought and found the €50.000....

So I was gobsmacked and felt just sick for weeks about it but on the end of the day it's all about luck.
If I just had bought my normal tickets as usual I would have won that amount.

But I always say,everything happens for a reason.

I believe in God and at that moment God did not think I was in dire need for 50k. :D

2 years after this I hit 5 out of 6 and the bonusnumber in the Dutch lotto which scooped me 10k winning so I got something afterall.
If the 6th number would have come out it would have been 8.6 million as that was they JP at that time. :eek2:;)

Does it pay to be nice ?

She was a sweet woman , spoke broken English. I did have her sign the back of her ticket as she can not cash it till Monday morning and has to go to the state lottery HQ in Nashville as it was way over the 500.00 that a store will pay a winner , it may be 600.00 not sure.

I will be thinking of her in the morning around 9 am , you can bet on that lol :)

Laurie

Now if Karma exist, there it is.
That old lady may be in some serious trouble, karmawise....OR she's out there looking for you right now :lolup:

About the cop sharing his lottery winnings with the waitress, I'm not sure if the movie was based on true events, but here's the movie....a pretty good watch
It could happen to you, Nicholas Cage and Bridget Fonda:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

There's an ancient axiom that holds, "Never suppress a generous impulse."

That's what you did, Laurie, and as a result, you helped her improve her quality of life. Inadvertently, perhaps, but still.

I know what you mean, but try to look at the silver lining.

Laurie, I am so frustrated to hear this! But you did a good thing , as that is who you are...a kind and considerate person to let her go ahead of you!

Would you have a let an impatient, younger person, go ahead of you? I don't think so, so this was meant for this old lady, maybe? ( Mind you, I guess you wished there was a younger, impatient person, right now)

Your time will come, Laurie! ( You're half way there, now!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back