Horse Racing & Tips Thread

There is some nice racing at Punchestown tomorrow. Enniskillen is running in the 7.00 but at 16 year old it must be the oldest horse I have seen racing for decades
It really is great racing for all, some big field handicaps and great grade one racing.

Enniskillen at 16 sure is an old timer. Looks like hes just out for a jog though and hope he comes around the x-country course safely.
On betting that looks a match between the two Bolger runners. Its a race I'll swerve as the fav hasn't run since this race two years ago. I have no doubt Bolger will have them schooled and ready but at odds on I am not prepared to trust a horses fitness.

Really looking forward to seeing the two grade 1 chases.
In the Irish Champion chase at 5.25 you would have to think 2m and G/F ground will not suit Allaho.
Chacun Pour Soi has no hill to face here and will for sure prefer the flat finish. Also not likely to be phased by the better ground. Can't rule out Nube Negra either. We know will prefer this ground and finished 2nd to Chacun's 3rd at the festival.
Betfair pay 3 places on this race if you fancy an outsider every other bookie pays two.
I really can't see Nube Negra out of the front 2 and will take the 4/1. In saying that Chacun Pour Soi amy look a massive price come 5.30 at 11/8.

In the other Grade 1 chase at 6.30 I don't think I've ever seen 4 such high class novice chasers take each other on and I look forward to watching it.
Monkfish deserves to be fav slightly from Envoi Allen given he styaed on his feet at the festival. Unbeaten last season and no questions about the trip. Envoi Allen is as talented as they come. Colreevy won at Cheltenham also and is 7/1 in a 4 runner race! Even the outsider Franco du Port was second in a grade one last time and he is 50/1.
I am struggling to seperate the two favs though so I will most likely just watch it and hope for a good race.

Small bet on Hallowed Star in the 3.40 at 7/1. 5 places each way.
Shark Hanlon has won this race before afaik and I rememeber thinking this horse needs a bit of better ground last time, which we have today.

Depending on how Great Bear runs in the opener I may or may not back Ruaille Buaille in the 4.50 PP pay 6 places and at 11/1 its a fair price considering it was 3rd to Magic Tricks 2nd last time. For that reason I could not back Magic tricks at half the price for a narrow defeat.
I have already also backed one at a bigger price, small bet each way on Cayd Boy at 20/1 ew. Dissapointed in the County Hurdle and has a nice chunk of weight. His 3lb claiming Jockey is very very good though and I feel the one bad run in a huge field can be forgiven.

This is a meeting I went to regularly over the years to see superstars run. The likes of Faugheen, Hurricane Fly and Sprinter Sacre in somewhat recent years always made it a special meeting!

GL all having a go!

BTW Free €5 bet on Paddy Power today.

Nice write up Ken.

I think that the full week will be good for EW nutters like me :)

I quite like the chances of Mias Milan in the 7.00P so I've taken a small Ew at 33/1. I've struggled to find much to be confident in for my lucky 15 because one thing or another does not seem to suit them. The going, distance,time out since their last race etc.

I would like to see Champaign Gold win or place for Rachelle and I think its worth an EW pop.

No free bets in PP for the UK it seems

Good luck with your bets all

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

17. Ya Ya Baby
9/2
27th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 15:40 2M 1/2F HCAP HURDLE 2m 100yds - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 5 Places
9. Champagne Gold
12/1
27th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 16:50 2M 1/2F HCAP HURDLE 2m 100yds - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 6 Places
17. Merlin Giant
9/2
27th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 17:55 2M 1/2F NH FLAT 2m 100yds - Each Way
24. Glowing Account
11/4
27th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 19:35 2M 1/2F NH FLAT 2m 100yds - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 4 Places
Best odds

And thats why I didn't back it.
I have a pretty hard rule of never backing in 3/4 horse races, they invariably either have a massively odds on favourite that wins by half the track, or if the favourite is more like 1/2 - 5/4ish an outsider wins. The only time I break the rule is if I really fancy the outsider more than the favourite!

And thats why I didn't back it.
I have a pretty hard rule of never backing in 3/4 horse races, they invariably either have a massively odds on favourite that wins by half the track, or if the favourite is more like 1/2 - 5/4ish an outsider wins. The only time I break the rule is if I really fancy the outsider more than the favourite!

Made only small bet to get bit extra to watch, was pretty blind one, based only name to the meeting of Monkfish and Envoi Allen. If would have studied even a tiny bit of that "huge amount" of other horses in race, could possibly have backed winner with nice odds too, didn't realize Colreevy is 5/5 on fences, beaten last time in hurdles Cheltenham 2020, second G1 win over fences, two G2:s as well.

Not that big outsider than odds after just one minute look :)

Colreevy was in foal too which makes the win even more impressive, it's very rare a horse will win like that!
It just shows how important he mares allowance is in a race like this, though Colreevy won it easy enough.
And she probable had the hardest race of all the runners in the race at Cheltenham which makes it all the more impressive.

The last mare I saw in foal win a top class graded race was Voler la Vedette for C Murphy a few years back now. She seemed to thrive on it.

I didn't punt a lot or win for that matter today.

Tomorrow's gold cup race looks a nice betting heat if you fancy one. Al Boum Photo rightly fav. Clan ded Obeaux and Fakir Doudairies stop the race being a Willie Mullins only affair. Both are decent chances too. Kemboy also has a good chance imo.

The last mare I saw in foal win a top class graded race was Voler la Vedette for C Murphy a few years back now. She seemed to thrive on it.

I didn't punt a lot or win for that matter today.

Tomorrow's gold cup race looks a nice betting heat if you fancy one. Al Boum Photo rightly fav. Clan ded Obeaux and Fakir Doudairies stop the race being a Willie Mullins only affair. Both are decent chances too. Kemboy also has a good chance imo.
I know one of the owners of Kemboy so will be cheering it on :)

Well there are a lot of tips when it comes to horse racing but i do only have one tip, and that is to make time for research. There are many people out there who are thinking twice when it comes to making the most of their bets since that some people tend to lose a lot of money in the process. I think is it much easier to consider how many horses are there in the race, and how a single horse has ran well in his past few races as well. That is why research is so vital.

3.55A Haqeeqy was impressive winning the Lincoln, but he was effectively running off 93. He 'might' win today, but not for me at Even money. I think Sir Busker is the most likely winner of this race and Marie's Diamond another with a decent chance. Doing a small RFC on them. Currently 9/2 and 17/2 respectively.

4.15P Suprise Package is extremely well thought of by the stable and owners. Was 33/1 yesterday and 12/1 now. They will all be extremely disappointed if he isn't in the first 4. Quite a big EW bet from me on this one. They do think Calthor and Breakeven are the two dangers in the race. 12/1 4 places

5.55P Has to be Kemboy because I know one of the owners, but would back it regardless. 4/1. Melon would be my second choice as I think the front two in the market do better after a break.

Good Luck today

Just made it in time! Good luck with your bets

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

1. Mt Leinster Gold
13/2
28th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 15:40 2M 4 1/2F HCAP HURDLE 2m 4f 120yds - Each Way
4. Heather Rocco
9/4
28th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 16:15 2M 4 1/2F HURDLE 2m 4f 120yds - Each Way
2. Royal Rendezvous
8/1
28th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 19:00 2M 4F HCAP CHASE 2m 4f - Each Way
4. Glan
11/2
28th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 19:35 2M 1/2F NH FLAT 2m 70yds - Each Way
Best odds

3.55A Haqeeqy was impressive winning the Lincoln, but he was effectively running off 93. He 'might' win today, but not for me at Even money. I think Sir Busker is the most likely winner of this race and Marie's Diamond another with a decent chance. Doing a small RFC on them. Currently 9/2 and 17/2 respectively.

4.15P Suprise Package is extremely well thought of by the stable and owners. Was 33/1 yesterday and 12/1 now. They will all be extremely disappointed if he isn't in the first 4. Quite a big EW bet from me on this one. They do think Calthor and Breakeven are the two dangers in the race. 12/1 4 places

5.55P Has to be Kemboy because I know one of the owners, but would back it regardless. 4/1. Melon would be my second choice as I think the front two in the market do better after a break.

Good Luck today
Cracker @colinsunderland , had a fiver ew @ 16-1 on surprise package, that’s the next few days covered

Cracker @colinsunderland , had a fiver ew @ 16-1 on surprise package, that’s the next few days covered
Glad you got on :)
I was actually told yesterday to back it to win, not EW, when it was 33/1, and I just thought, it wouldn't be 33/1 if it was that strongly fancied, pfffttt. Price collapsed and it won easily lol.
Shame Kemboy didn't win, and Sir Busker, but at least I read the race ok, that the short priced favourite wouldn't be good enough :)

I can't see Livelovelaugh being outside the first five in the next at Punchestown. Although it's a 24 runner race, theres probably only 6 or 7 who have a chance of winning, Livelovelaugh likes big fields, likes the ground, jockey and trainer in ok form. Currently 15/2 6 places with PP/BF.

7.35 Hollymount won on debut but was soundly beaten last time out, however, the ground was heavy that day. Not sure he will win, but 9/1 4 places with PP/BF seems a decent enough price to me, considering Jamie Codd has around a 75% rate of being in the first 4 in Irish NHF races over the last 5 seasons, and around the same this season.

In the Champions League match later, think PSG are a stronger team in the first half, and Man City stronger in the second. Just wanted a bit of an interest in the match, so doing HT/FT PSG/Man City at 22/1

Good luck

I can't see Livelovelaugh being outside the first five in the next at Punchestown. Although it's a 24 runner race, theres probably only 6 or 7 who have a chance of winning, Livelovelaugh likes big fields, likes the ground, jockey and trainer in ok form. Currently 15/2 6 places with PP/BF.

7.35 Hollymount won on debut but was soundly beaten last time out, however, the ground was heavy that day. Not sure he will win, but 9/1 4 places with PP/BF seems a decent enough price to me, considering Jamie Codd has around a 75% rate of being in the first 4 in Irish NHF races over the last 5 seasons, and around the same this season.

In the Champions League match later, think PSG are a stronger team in the first half, and Man City stronger in the second. Just wanted a bit of an interest in the match, so doing HT/FT PSG/Man City at 22/1

Good luck
Those 2 horses did shite, and the football didn't need a bet to make it interesting, the 2nd half was really good. Glad I put the bet on though haha.

yeah was gutted the 25/1 shot got beaten by so little yesterday but today made up for it :)
Going to be busy most of tomorrow so not sure if I'll be having a bet unless I hear anything positive about anything :)
I've already stuck my bet on because I think some of the prices will shorten. Good luck if our having a punt tomorrow

Lucky 31 (x62) Each Way

16. Cousin Harry
8/1
29th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 15:40 2M HCAP HURDLE 2m 40yds - Each Way
8. Jungle Junction
11/2
29th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 16:15 2M HCAP CHASE 2m - Each Way
7. Blue Templar
17/2
29th Apr PUNCHESTOWN 16:50 4M 2F CHASE 4m 2f - Each Way