Havent smoked in 5 days

good luck with it. All you future quitters keep us updated. I would love to know I had a helping hand in getting people to quit smoking :D

So far my savings from not smoking is $80

Two years ago in February one of my friends died. She had copd and asthma for many years but was always optimistic and really tried to live as much as she could. She also had 5 daughters.
She had an asthma attack one day when she was alone. The brain didn't get enough oxygen so she ended up braindead. After a few days her daughters told them to stop the machine.

She was a smoker until the last day and I'm sure she would still be here if she had stopped in time.

A few weeks after her death I quit smoking, thinking I didn't want to end up like her, and felt like I owe her that much. I started a thread here after one month, really proud. A couple of months later I started again:(

It's time for another try...or I will end up like she did.

You've done great lockinlove. If you thinking of going back then read this thread and I'm sure you will make it :)

Two years ago in February one of my friends died. She had copd and asthma for many years but was always optimistic and really tried to live as much as she could. She also had 5 daughters.
She had an asthma attack one day when she was alone. The brain didn't get enough oxygen so she ended up braindead. After a few days her daughters told them to stop the machine.

She was a smoker until the last day and I'm sure she would still be here if she had stopped in time.

A few weeks after her death I quit smoking, thinking I didn't want to end up like her, and felt like I owe her that much. I started a thread here after one month, really proud. A couple of months later I started again:(

You've done great lockinlove. If you thinking of going back then read this thread and I'm sure you will make it :)

That is really something Tirilej.
Thanks for sharing that.

Exactly one of the reasons that makes me want to quit FOR GOOD too.
But it isn't easy,we all know that.

Looking also to give it another go soon!

@Mark_32RED - Bonus received.
Will try my luck tonight. :)

good luck with it. All you future quitters keep us updated. I would love to know I had a helping hand in getting people to quit smoking :D

So far my savings from not smoking is $80

You are doing it! Keep up the updates.

I am still urging, almost following peeps behind them as they smoke, just to get a hit of second hand smoke!:what:

It's not easy, but it does get easier to say, "NO" to a whim to take a puff. NO WAY! I have come this far!

Change the subject in your mind...whatever it takes. YOU are in charge.

more often than not the patients will stay connected for years to machine with no cerebral activity but i've read numerous articles where the victims of stroke(including your example) wake up and seen a documentary about how the brain have the power to recover the cells and healing by itself, so if yesterday there was no presence of brain activity today it can be. modern medicine needs this excuse to chop up people that are alive and collect the organs to put in someone else and unfortunately the propaganda real and in movies too 'he's like dead, he won't wake up ever again, he is suffering' is widely accepted.

one romanian singer, gabriel cotabita, suffered last year cardiopulmonary attack at the gym, the brain had no oxygen for over an hour and hes been into coma. after 2 weeks of no cerebral activity, in the third week he suddenly wake up and started talking latin(in some cases the patients talk languages unknown to them) and the moment i type this he is fully recovered and newly married. this was in the hands of his family, to go with the propaganda and disconnect him or patiently wait for a change. and the change has come. too bad the reports arent spread enough for people to know, but in internet age there is no excuse. it takes only few google formulations to see that stroke isnt the end of the road. it is only if the family choose to be.

more often than not the patients will stay connected for years to machine with no cerebral activity but i've read numerous articles where the victims of stroke(including your example) wake up and seen a documentary about how the brain have the power to recover the cells and healing by itself, so if yesterday there was no presence of brain activity today it can be. modern medicine needs this excuse to chop up people that are alive and collect the organs to put in someone else and unfortunately the propaganda real and in movies too 'he's like dead, he won't wake up ever again, he is suffering' is widely accepted.

one romanian singer, gabriel cotabita, suffered last year cardiopulmonary attack at the gym, the brain had no oxygen for over an hour and hes been into coma. after 2 weeks of no cerebral activity, in the third week he suddenly wake up and started talking latin(in some cases the patients talk languages unknown to them) and the moment i type this he is fully recovered and newly married. this was in the hands of his family, to go with the propaganda and disconnect him or patiently wait for a change. and the change has come. too bad the reports arent spread enough for people to know, but in internet age there is no excuse. it takes only few google formulations to see that stroke isnt the end of the road. it is only if the family choose to be.

You're correct. There are such cases. Very rare but they exist.
As you might know my brother had a stroke a couple of months ago. A tiny one, very small. Still it almost costed him his life and he is suffering from different problems today and it will take a long time if ever he will be like before.
My other brother, who's dead now, also was braindamaged, but in several different parts of the brain. He never during the eight years he lived after recovered enough to be normal. He lived an awful life and I used to say that ''it's hard to lose someone who is still alive'', and I wished many times that he had died when it happened.
So it's funny that you had to bring up that part of my story that had to do with the brain. It is different from case to case. Sometimes they need to do what's best, for the patient and for the family. I hope they will do the same for me if it ever happens to me.
So yes, I know enough about it!!

Its rare. Very rare. Doctors do not kill people just for organs. Pretty insensitive thing to say to be honest. My niece who was 7 suffered a stroke and my brother and his wife had to make the decision to pull her off life support because she was brain dead. And they decided not to donate her organs.

We also met a family at sick kids hospital. They had been living there for 8 months hoping their brain dead child would magically wake up. This went on for 3 years before they realized it was false hope. 3 years of distraught, sadness, depression and so much pain they couldnt let go. I would never judge them or call them fools. I only feel sadness for them and understanding.

Im sure you werent trying to be insensitive but opinions like yours are touchy matters. And people here have been through it firsthand and its heartwrenching. So we get our info from being in the situation, not reading articles.

Sad story :(

Smoking with asthma is so dangerous but I am not going to judge.

Its going to be tough as im sure you know. If you have very hard time try those ecig things to puff on when you have a bad craving. I tried them awhile ago but I bought a cheap one so I think thats why it didnt work and actually turned me off. Felt like it was burning my throat.

I did find when my cravings were bad grabbing a handful of hot mints really helped. For a little bit.

I also find when you have really bad craving you have to find something to do to break your line of thoughts. A shower, talk on the phone..something more intense.

I learned very quick that when having a craving the worst thing to do is just sit on the couch or be in one spot. You gotta move and do things.

You're correct. There are such cases. Very rare but they exist.
As you might know my brother had a stroke a couple of months ago. A tiny one, very small. Still it almost costed him his life and he is suffering from different problems today and it will take a long time if ever he will be like before.
My other brother, who's dead now, also was braindamaged, but in several different parts of the brain. He never during the eight years he lived after recovered enough to be normal. He lived an awful life and I used to say that ''it's hard to lose someone who is still alive'', and I wished many times that he had died when it happened.
So it's funny that you had to bring up that part of my story that had to do with the brain. It is different from case to case. Sometimes they need to do what's best, for the patient and for the family. I hope they will do the same for me if it ever happens to me.
So yes, I know enough about it!!

i quoted that part because ringed a bell that they decided to choose that way only after a FEW DAYS. if she would have been ever like was before or not was down to chance and between life and death matters dont know why should be chosen the latter on behalf of the patient which may want to live. Schumacher was 6 months into coma for similar reasons so there is unknown when and if the brain is healing. if he was the average citizen now would have been eaten by the worms already. when arm is broken we dont do suicide but patiently wait to heal even if we dont use the arm as accurate as before, brain injury is alike just needs more patience and resources. if he/she breaths then is alive. the important aspect is time allowance and it sucks when someone decides for you. we don't kill people with terminal cancer, with alzeihmer instead hire people to take care of their special needs.

lockinlove said:
Its rare. Very rare. Doctors do not kill people just for organs. Pretty insensitive thing to say to be honest. My niece who was 7 suffered a stroke and my brother and his wife had to make the decision to pull her off life support because she was brain dead. And they decided not to donate her organs.

We also met a family at sick kids hospital. They had been living there for 8 months hoping their brain dead child would magically wake up. This went on for 3 years before they realized it was false hope. 3 years of distraught, sadness, depression and so much pain they couldnt let go. I would never judge them or call them fools. I only feel sadness for them and understanding.

Im sure you werent trying to be insensitive but opinions like yours are touchy matters. And people here have been through it firsthand and its heartwrenching. So we get our info from being in the situation, not reading articles.

doctors pessimistic approach is what leads to disconnect. if they don't see any activity on the monitor then the patient is considered dead. for me death is when breath it stops. they encourage the family to this decision and most of the people choose to save other people lives with injured organs and this is done in only one way, by chopping up one person that breathes and maybe at a latter point would have waken up, as harsh as it sounds this is the way. should be illegally to interrupt the patient for 12 months period when wake up cases usually happen. in my eyes any early than 12mo deciding to take off one stupid machine that is seeding life is nothing but death sentence and in doctors shoes, murder.

You are an incredible insensitive guy Syntynyt but for some reason I don't think you understand that you are.

In case you didn't know then braindead people rarily can breath by themself. They are connected to machines that are breathing for them and are keeping them alive. If they can breath by themself it's a totally different matter!!

Was just going to say the same Trilej.

@synsyn you seem very uninformed about the entire topic.

#1. Doctors dont declare someone brain dead by just looking at a monitor. There are a massive amount of tests done to determine that.

#2. When someone is brain dead, if they are taken off life support, they will stop breathing and die on their own usually within an hour.

#3. Doctors do not chop up body parts and let people die just to donate organs. In case you didnt know, alot of people who are brain dead chose prior not to donate their organs. So what reason would the doctor have to commit murder now?

You are an incredible insensitive guy Syntynyt but for some reason I don't think you understand that you are.

In case you didn't know then braindead people rarily can breath by themself. They are connected to machines that are breathing for them and are keeping them alive. If they can breath by themself it's a totally different matter!!

Sarah im just calling the things how they are with no decorum. if what i say bring you tough memories regarding your brothers please forgive me, can't really say my opinion on this without touching your soul. and yes, i dont understand that im insensitive when im pro-life for the loved one, no matter his/her situation. all the wakeup cases i learned of and documentation ive been through makes me to believe im on spot about my thoughts. if i will ever have a case in my family, hope not, beside i will take a humane emotional approach, i will let the chance to decide whatever the cost, whatever the doctors speech, whatever the machine is telling, for a considerable amount of time. deciding only after a few days that a person is not worth the chance is what i call insensitive. again, i dont want to broke up our neutral relationship so please read what i write IN THEORY and dont use it applied in your known experiences and have bad thoughts. if i ruined your day and bring up distress memories again, apologies but this is what i think.

#1. Doctors dont declare someone brain dead by just looking at a monitor. There are a massive amount of tests done to determine that.

#2. When someone is brain dead, if they are taken off life support, they will stop breathing and die on their own usually within an hour.

#3. Doctors do not chop up body parts and let people die just to donate organs. In case you didnt know, alot of people who are brain dead chose prior not to donate their organs. So what reason would the doctor have to commit murder now?

1. if you want i will spend all the remaining day giving you links to real stories when doctors have been wrong. to choose death then the modern medicine must be 100% accurate. is not!

2. thats the meaning of the machine, the seed the drops of life until and if the body is ready to take it by itself.

3. define a lot of people that thinks to write on a piece of paper that, thinking they will have stroke. actually that lot is insignificant. the family decides for them after some talks with the doctors that are giving assurance that the patient is like dead and how good will be to save other lives, and sounds good but in reality is not.

1. if you want i will spend all the remaining day giving you links to real stories when doctors have been wrong. to choose death then the modern medicine must be 100% accurate. is not!

2. thats the meaning of the machine, the seed the drops of life until and if the body is ready to take it by itself.

3. define a lot of people that thinks to write on a piece of paper that, thinking they will have stroke. actually that lot is insignificant. the family decides for them after some talks with the doctors that are giving assurance that the patient is like dead and how good will be to save other lives, and sounds good but in reality is not.

Im fine. I dont need any links. Because I could spend all day finding links where doctors were right which would exceed your links by probably 10,000-1. Probably more to be honest. Alot more.

Plus then you would have to prove the credibility of the story/author.

#3. People have organ donor cards in alot of countries and decide when they are alive not to donate their organs. So this has nothing to do with "being talked into it"

I really dont want to discuss this further, your opinion is wrong and the arguments you are using to base it on is also factually wrong.

You are welcome to your opinion but this is one thing im not going to engage you in

re smoking

hi i smoked heavily for years and years just over a year ago i just stopped over night surprised my self even now after every meal my mind still thinks cigarette time grr lol

Im fine. I dont need any links. Because I could spend all day finding links where doctors were right which would exceed your links by probably 10,000-1. Probably more to be honest. Alot more.

Plus then you would have to prove the credibility of the story/author.

#3. People have organ donor cards in alot of countries and decide when they are alive not to donate their organs. So this has nothing to do with "being talked into it"

I really dont want to discuss this further, your opinion is wrong and the arguments you are using to base it on is also factually wrong.

You are welcome to your opinion but this is one thing im not going to engage you in

respond please to one more thing. in the end what is the hassle with the patient, the financial cost or the false thoughts that is suffering and have no chance to recover. why to choose the interruption any early than 1 year, this is what i want to hear. why the almost dead but in no suffering is not better than dead for real. why cant think he is sleeping and let the faith/destiny/chance have the last word. why is considered bad to keep dragging on and a relief to disconnect the thing. i understand the latter when there is really absolutely no chance to survive and the pain is atrocious and this is when body is heavily burnt in over 80% spots. thats the end of suffering. a dead or almost dead brain guess what, because of its status there is no suffering and if is 1% slim chance to see him walk again why not hang with it.

You just can't badger somebody to quit; it all depends if they are ready.

Do it by yourself, meaning do not tell anyone that you are quitting.

Why? For me, it just felt like I would be calmer and less over-whelmed by well-meaning peeps if I could just get through the first few days quietly, because one can be cranky and just use any excuse to smoke because of over-seeing from loved ones.

Have been a smoker for many year,s and I have the same problem,s when I do get sick. Bronchitis it is a real problem for most smoker,s we don,t just get sick we really get lung sick and that is what bronchitis is? I have tried many times over the year,s and have quit for over a year once but I picked it back up and It has become very expensive here in the states over the past year,s . the main reason being the non-smoker,s and the right to not be exposed to second hand smoke? I do not disagree but the same reason they have for not being exposed is my reason for smoking? I also have right,s I have lost the ability to have a pint and a smoke in the bar where I buy the pint? But I have no right,s as a smoker and when a pack went to $10.00 a pack I swore I would quit? But I found a way to roll my own and they are cheaper than any. All good thing,s are outlawed or against the law and this will probably be the same? I smoke other thing,s and when that went up in price I swore I would quit:( But some thing,s never change and I will be a old man with only MY vices in the grave? Good luck on quitting lockinlove I wish you the very best.:notworthy Peace Out! Out Of The Mist! shewoff​

Attachments

1.2 KB · Views: 53
Congrats Lock!

I Havent had a leaf cig since 12/5/15. Used an e cig to get off those, now tapering off w/lower and lower nic content. Dont crave leaf cigs, every once in a while I get a flash of "its time for a smoke" then remember I dont smoke those anymore and move on. I have had 2 dreams where I picked up a leaf cig to smoke then realized in the dream I didnt smoke anymore and tossed it. To me, that's progress, even my subconscious gets it now lol! Getting rid of the tar has been a big relief to me, looking forward to when Im just vaping fruit flavor and no nicotine. Saving about 200 a month so far.

gratz to op

i went 3 years after being a pack a day smoker , walking helped heaps with the cravings , but i made the huge mistake of replacing smokes with crap food and stacked it on.
then one night at a party while drinking copious amounts of scotch i had 1 smoke ...and thought that was nice im not hanging for another one , thought next weekend ill treat myself to 1 ....gone
back to 3 packets a week but on the plus side i dropped the 30 kilos i put on after quitting (lol i need to have some excuse for starting again )

honestly when quitting the things that made it easier was
walking around the block when cravings started
not throwing out my last smokes , knowing there was one there if i got desperate eased the cravings
not badgering visitors about smoking , i always let my guests smoke in the car or house
water when getting cravings , not soft drink or coffee

worst mistake i made was having lollies and biscuits around

and the hardest time was about the 1st to 3rd week and then 3rd to 4th month , its when i was tempted the most and had the worst cravings .

gl !

I say one thing that has made it easier this time around, in this state you cant smoke anywhere in public!! Cant smoke in most city parks, 25 feet from front entrance of a business, at bus stops, (any public transportation property) most city sidewalks, government property, hospital grounds. restaurants. You just dont SEE many people smoking, they are all hiding lol! A smoker can practically feel the revulsion of non smokers here so I was ready to quit. Now they are going after e cigs, well they can blow my vapor up their .beep beep beep lol, not taking this one away till im ready to throw it away lol!

My uncle went into hospital (many moons ago) for a routine operation and he was healthy in every other way, they took organs from him without permission and said he died from syphilis, which is completely untrue, his wife is currently fighting for justice over this, they caused his death and TOOK organs from his body. So this is one of the rare cases, he was 44.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back