Brexit - whats the difference.....

I was watching an interview on youtube the other day about economics, the gist of it was our capitalist system is based around growth of 3% per annum, and if you take the whole world economy valued in trillions and trillions, 3% is a huge amount of money...so the question is where is that growth going to come from?

Obviously for the last twenty years labour costs have been shaved through the use of technology [the use of robots in factories being one example] and off shoring production to countries with low labour costs compared to the west, so I suspect this has accounted for some of the growth in revenue/profit for the last 20 years. Personal debt has accounted for consumer sales growth. The cost of housing has shot up too which involves more indebtedness than previously required.

But where's the next 20 years of 3% growth going to come from, [trillions] especially considering the experts on pollution/governing bodies say we need to consume less resouces and have a more sustainable lifestyle.

I think this is probably why we had the 2008 crash, the world of finance trying to make huge amounts of money from money eventually runs into trouble.

[for comparison: in 1995 the global world product was 33 trillion, in 2014 it was 77 trillion, so it's exponential]

So you call companies being fined for not following regulations and laws cash-grabbing?

No wonder you think Mr T is above the law! :rolleyes:

What does it have to do with Mr. T?

Any business CEO's I ever saw on the Business shows all mention the same thing when the host brings up doing business in the EU, they sight the mass of regulations they have to deal with.

What does it have to do with Mr. T?

Any business CEO's I ever saw on the Business shows all mention the same thing when the host brings up doing business in the EU, they sight the mass of regulations they have to deal with.

Is it better when big companies can do what they want without or little regulatory interference? Like the financial industry and 2008 crash. Donny wanted to de-regulate that sector. I've asked this before: is it a good idea to give bankers more freedom to do business how see fit -- Who needs unnecessary governmental oversight, right?

A big part of European regulations are consumer rights related.

You've just highlighted the growing disparity between the haves and have nots. You may feel content, you've made it in life, however there's an increasing gulf between those like you and those who struggle to pay the rent/mortgage every month. The gulf is getting wider by the day. That's the issue.

The EU does nothing to assuage this, in fact it encourages wealth growth of the top earners and limits wage growth at the bottom due to a constant availability of unskilled and cheap labour.

How will leaving the EU change that?

Is it better when big companies can do what they want without or little regulatory interference? Like the financial industry and 2008 crash. Donny wanted to de-regulate that sector. I've asked this before: is it a good idea to give bankers more freedom to do business how see fit -- Who needs unnecessary governmental oversight, right?

A big part of European regulations are consumer rights related.

You're confusing the two, some consumer regulations but it ends up being overly regulated until all incentive is gone.

Its not like an example is not right in front of you, just look at the online gambling industry.

You're confusing the two, some consumer regulations but it ends up being overly regulated until all incentive is gone.

Its not like an example is not right in front of you, just look at the online gambling industry.

I'm not confusing anything slotplayer. I did not advocate over-regulation anything.

Consumer protection laws do not interfere or inhibit free markets, or lessen your freedom of choice. The markets are supposed to ensure that we get what we want and the players on the markets do not take advantage of us in the process. In that respect, the consumer protection laws enable free markets to work.

In regards to competition law issues, there seems to be consensus these days that competition law promotes e.g. innovation. However, free market economy does not mean the businesses are free to do as they please. Leave a market unregulated, and greed will surely follow. When money is involved, without regulation you will see unfair trading practices and general lack of integrity.

So maybe you are the one confusing things?

Btw: How's the online gambling industry doing in the US?

I'm not confusing anything slotplayer. I did not advocate over-regulation anything.

Consumer protection laws do not interfere or inhibit free markets, or lessen your freedom of choice. The markets are supposed to ensure that we get what we want and the players on the markets do not take advantage of us in the process. In that respect, the consumer protection laws enable free markets to work.

In regards to competition law issues, there seems to be consensus these days that competition law promotes e.g. innovation. However, free market economy does not mean the businesses are free to do as they please. Leave a market unregulated, and greed will surely follow. When money is involved, without regulation you will see unfair trading practices and general lack of integrity.

By that reasoning Curacao must be the exemplar in online gambling :eek2:

Or maybe it mean to say 'proportionate regulation assists in removing the incentive to rip players off'

Its not unregulated vs. regulated, its regulated vs. over regulation.

Its not unregulated vs. regulated, its regulated vs. over regulation.

You either purposely avoid the point (once again) or are confused what I'm trying to say.

Do you have anything valuable to add in re regulation (be it un-, over or even de-) vs. incentives and how these are reflected in competition law (or regulation in general).

If a one-liner or videolink is coming, don't bother.

You either purposely avoid the point (once again) or are confused what I'm trying to say.

Do you have anything valuable to add in re regulation (be it un-, over or even de-) vs. incentives and how these are reflected in competition law (or regulation in general).

If a one-liner or videolink is coming, don't bother.

A one liner or a video is all I'm willing to contribute.

So the official policy of our next Prime Minister is to ask for unicorns. The EU have categorically said that none of these things will happen, or in other words, unicorns don't exist.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

And one of these jokers will be in Number 10 Downing Street soon.

The Tory leadership rivals both ruled out trying to tweak the backstop, which critics said could trap the UK indefinitely in a customs union with the EU.
They said it would not feature in any deal with the EU, saying it was no good to have a time limit on it or a way of the UK exiting it unilaterally – even though Eurosceptics had previously indicated they could vote for such compromises.

'EU set to do the exact thing it has said all along it would do, and insist that UK stick to the withdrawal agreement it's already signed'.

Boris Johnson has an imminent appointment with something called 'reality', (which isn't something he generally has to deal with), I don't think he's going to like it very much.

So the official policy of our next Prime Minister is to ask for unicorns. The EU have categorically said that none of these things will happen, or in other words, unicorns don't exist.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

And one of these jokers will be in Number 10 Downing Street soon.

The Tory leadership rivals both ruled out trying to tweak the backstop, which critics said could trap the UK indefinitely in a customs union with the EU.
They said it would not feature in any deal with the EU, saying it was no good to have a time limit on it or a way of the UK exiting it unilaterally – even though Eurosceptics had previously indicated they could vote for such compromises.

View attachment 111319
View attachment 111320
View attachment 111321

This charles fella is really trying to control the narrative and layout the whole road map of future negotiations, is he related to nostradamus by any chance? We're not interested in extending the timeline, it's been blinking three years already.

Having watched a few videos recently regarding the 2008 economic crash and the sticking plasters that were applied and how volatile and fragile the underlying economic system is, I very much doubt the EU will insist on tariffs against a trade partner that they have a clear surplus with. For example "in 2017 germany exported 769,000 cars to the UK, its single largest export market. " [Also in 2009 the german government introduced a car scrapping scheme which cost them billions just to prop up car sales].

What germany says and wants counts for a lot in the EU upper echelons, then there's the french wine makers, the uk is the 2nd largest importer of french wine and spirits...these things matter as those two lobbies have political clout in france and germany.

civil service big wigs and think tanks can speculate as much as possible till the cows come home but there are costs to both sides in the event of a no deal therefore this makes a deal more likely not less likely.

Last edited:
Just what is the point of this American'style political showdown.....what a load of bollocks really

I think it's a complete cert that The Boris will get in, so why bother

Not to mention it is unquestionably a farcical handover of power, with Bozo on the left and Messi/ Putin on the right

Still, I entrust either one to do a better job than May-hem's napalming Brexit botch-job

For example "in 2017 germany exported 769,000 cars to the UK, its single largest export market. " [Also in 2009 the german government introduced a car scrapping scheme which cost them billions just to prop up car sales].

What germany says and wants counts for a lot in the EU upper echelons, then there's the french wine makers, the uk is the 2nd largest importer of french wine and spirits...these things matter as those two lobbies have political clout in france and germany.

This has been a Leave line of argument since before the referendum was even held, and it hasn't proven to be even remotely true at any stage.

If the 'German Car Manufacturers and French Wine Makers' are going to come to our rescue, they're leaving it until really, really, REALLY late in the day.

Also, kind of ironic that we need them to come to our rescue to force a trade deal when this was all supposed to be about 'Taking Back Control'.

This has been a Leave line of argument since before the referendum was even held, and it hasn't proven to be even remotely true at any stage.

If the 'German Car Manufacturers and French Wine Makers' are going to come to our rescue, they're leaving it until really, really, REALLY late in the day.

Also, kind of ironic that we need them to come to our rescue to force a trade deal when this was all supposed to be about 'Taking Back Control'.

Why would they feel the need to come to our rescue when, until very very recently, there was absolutely no threat of a no deal scenario?

No deal was the biggest card we had to play and yet parliament has done everything in its power to take this leverage off the table. No deal is not ideal for either side but had we started making provisions for it 3 years ago, we'd have had more sway in negotiations. Of course the EU would play hardball when the only two options on our table was a May type deal or revoke!

Why would they feel the need to come to our rescue when, until very very recently, there was absolutely no threat of a no deal scenario?

No deal was the biggest card we had to play and yet parliament has done everything in its power to take this leverage off the table. No deal is not ideal for either side but had we started making provisions for it 3 years ago, we'd have had more sway in negotiations. Of course the EU would play hardball when the only two options on our table was a May type deal or revoke!

But I thought one of the big selling points of Brexit was the UK Parliament being the ultimate seat of power, as opposed to all those pesky Brussels bureaucrats passing laws that we don't like. (Of course when you ask a Leaver to name a single law they didn't like that was forced on them by the EU, they can never name one.)

And now when the UK Parliament DOES take control, it's 'Ahhh well we didn't mean that kind of control'.

Do you think it might just be that there's a majority in the Houses of Common that realises how utterly ruinous a No Deal Brexit would be, hence they're doing everything in their power to stop it?

Oh and for the record, because this really does need to be restated, the EU has never played 'hardball' at any point.

Once we set out our preposterous 'red lines' there wasn't really much the EU could do other than what they have. They told us all of this 100% upfront and before the referendum was even held, they let us know in the clearest of terms what our options would be if we chose to leave the EU, it's just that an awful lot of people refused to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back