Brexit - whats the difference.....

3 years already? :( bloody knew i shoulda put some money on it when laughing out loud over the shocking suprise that this got extended all those moons ago, having no doubt that more and more extensions/delays would be taking this embarassing shit show into 2020 or beyond.

Serious question adam, why do you still want Brexit?

Every single 'sales pitch' that Farage/Johnson/Gove/Fox/etc made for it has been comprehensively proved to be a total lie, no one's even pretending that there's any money, or trade deals, or anything else of any benefit whatsoever in it for us, the 'taking back control' from LAWS PASSED IN BRUSSELS element is totally debunked by an analysis such as this:

(And of the 72 (out of 34,105) laws that were passed against our will, please feel free to pick one you actually object to out of the list.)

We're literally just left with a stubborn declaration of 'well it's what we voted for', despite the fact that it now turns out that what the won the referendum - (by a narrow enough majority even with the lies in full swing and yet to be proved to be such) - isn't really what was being pitched as Leave meant at all.

When people talk about 'Let's just have No Deal and take the hit, we'll survive', are they really analysing what they're actually saying? Are they genuinely saying they want the UK to be poorer, to have our influence reduced on the global stage? For a sneak preview of a No Deal future on this, just look at the trade deal the EU recently signed with Japan, and we asked 'Can we have the same trade deal as the EU please?' and Japan was just like, 'Eh? Of course you can't, you're a single medium sized economy, of course you don't get the same deal as the biggest trading bloc in the world.'

Add in protectionism on the rise in the both the USA and China, and do we really want to go it alone as a relatively small service based economy, or be part of the biggest, most powerful club in the world, and have a seat at the top table of that club? Does anyone really think Trump will do anything other than fuck us over in a USA/UK trade deal?

So back to my original question, why does anyone really still want Brexit, what single net positive do they expect to come out of it?

Every single 'sales pitch' that Farage/Johnson/Gove/Fox/etc made for it has been comprehensively proved to be a total lie, no one's even pretending that there's any money, or trade deals, or anything else of any benefit whatsoever in it for us, the 'taking back control' from LAWS PASSED IN BRUSSELS element is totally debunked by an analysis such as this:

(And of the 72 (out of 34,105) laws that were passed against our will, please feel free to pick one you actually object to out of the list.)

We're literally just left with a stubborn declaration of 'well it's what we voted for', despite the fact that it now turns out that what the won the referendum - (by a narrow enough majority even with the lies in full swing and yet to be proved to be such) - isn't really what was being pitched as Leave meant at all.

When people talk about 'Let's just have No Deal and take the hit, we'll survive', are they really analysing what they're actually saying? Are they genuinely saying they want the UK to be poorer, to have our influence reduced on the global stage? For a sneak preview of a No Deal future on this, just look at the trade deal the EU recently signed with Japan, and we asked 'Can we have the same trade deal as the EU please?' and Japan was just like, 'Eh? Of course you can't, you're a single medium sized economy, of course you don't get the same deal as the biggest trading bloc in the world.'

Add in protectionism on the rise in the both the USA and China, and do we really want to go it alone as a relatively small service based economy, or be part of the biggest, most powerful club in the world, and have a seat at the top table of that club? Does anyone really think Trump will do anything other than fuck us over in a USA/UK trade deal?

So back to my original question, why does anyone really still want Brexit, what single net positive do they expect to come out of it?
It’ll shut the remoaners up.
That’s a huge benefit in anyone’s eyes.

It’ll shut the remoaners up.
That’s a huge benefit in anyone’s eyes.

Well I look forward to folks trying to pay their mortgages and bills with 'Quiet Remoaners'.

'What do you mean they're not the same as money?......'

I might just add that any UK trade with other countries will revert to the general WTO rules and regulations as well as tariffs. There are 99 chapters for the tariffs, you can see here what they are in general:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Until the UK reaches trade deals with each country, the trade will be run under those rules and tariffs, which are generally much higher than the ones the UK enjoyed under the umbrella of the EU.

Now, the master Brexit negotiators were not able to sign one agreement in three years and that with a party that was willing to sign a deal. How long dow you think will it take until they sign deals with the other 130odd WTO members?

It will put UK companies at a disadvantage for years, time where others can fill the gap and make it hard for the UK to win those markets back. The UK is an export-orientated economy, which will only increase the hardship.

Sure, they will survive and all that, question is only how do you get through the years of uncertainty?

It's the single market that has FOM attached, not a customs union which essentially is free trade of goods.

FOM refers to four categories - labour, services, goods and capital. The EU has clearly stated from the start that it will be either all or nothing. There will be no free movement of goods without free movement of labour. If the UK wishes to separate them, then they will not be part of the customs union as such.

One of the original ideas of the EU was that anything made outside would attract tariffs, it was a form of protectionism, hence the japanese car makers setting up in the uk to bypass the tariffs.

The basic fact is we have a trade deficit with the EU, therefore not agreeing a free trade deal with the UK is going to hurt the eu states more, that's basic economics. Why would the EU insist on something that is going to hurt them in the pocket?

I still think most of the blame for this debacle lies with Theresa May and the top levels of the civil service who advise her, by all accounts they are arch remainers.

It's just amazing how one side will bleat on for nigh on 3 years because they didn't get the result THEY wanted :confused:

Also never known something to drag on as long as this, most things are voted on and implemented pretty much straight away. So picking holes in a choice that was made by a majority, you could do that with every election/ referendum in history. And then still discover that the alternatives were no better anyway!

It's the notion that Remainers feel that they're on the right side of history and everyone else is a misinformed chump that makes me chuckle

It's just amazing how one side will bleat on for nigh on 3 years because they didn't get the result THEY wanted :confused:

Also never known something to drag on as long as this, most things are voted on and implemented pretty much straight away. So picking holes in a choice that was made by a majority, you could do that with every election/ referendum in history. And then still discover that the alternatives were no better anyway!

It's the notion that Remainers feel that they're on the right side of history and everyone else is a misinformed chump that makes me chuckle
WAHEY!! We're all turkeys voting for Christmas! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Except no one here is saying that, I'm trying to engage in adult conversation and for my efforts get called a 'Remoaner', a 'sore loser', and that the best thing about Brexit is that it'll shut me up.

My polite question in the post above stands, why do you still want Brexit, and what good do you think will come of it?

Except no one here is saying that, I'm trying to engage in adult conversation and for my efforts get called a 'Remoaner', a 'sore loser', and that the best thing about Brexit is that it'll shut me up.

My polite question in the post above stands, why do you still want Brexit, and what good do you think will come of it?

giphy.gif

:D

I wonder if I can ask alexa???

But I've found an mep's website with some on the benefits detailed, here's his list:

1. The EU Procurement Directive won’t be able to force us to give State contracts to overseas businesses
2. We won’t have to comply with the VATMOSS legislation, boosting jobs
3. Compliance costs will be lower outside the European Union… [not employment related]
4. We won’t have threats like the Copyright Directive to the free functioning of the Internet
5. We won’t have to comply with EU State Aid regulations…
6. Brexit should finally end the madness of double-testing products
7. Brexit means we don’t have to comply with rules restricting ‘natural monopolies’ e.g. the postal system
8. The North East is a strong fishing region. Outside the EU, our fisheries will recover through reclaiming our 200-mile limit
9. We can negotiate our own bespoke trade deals with third countries

10. The net EU membership fee

11. VAT- we can choose a fairer alternative

I'm sure there's lots more, such as less strain on our stretched services/housing from uncontrolled immigration from eastern europe etc..

edit: sorry I missed his take on immigration here it is:

One of the key problems with uncontrolled immigration from the EU is that an oversupply of unskilled and semi-skilled labour drives down wages. Even if there existed a reasonable mechanism by which the UK might enforce the permitted restrictions on those who do not find work in the UK, uncontrolled immigration does lead to lower wages (hence, why it tends to be supported by big business).

By prioritising skilled immigration over unskilled, this downward pressure on wages will be reversed – whilst developing the skills base within the economy.

Come join the Trump thread then for real shits & giggles, if you think this thread turns people into rabid goons :p

I wonder if I can ask alexa???

But I've found an mep's website with some on the benefits detailed, here's his list:

1. The EU Procurement Directive won’t be able to force us to give State contracts to overseas businesses
2. We won’t have to comply with the VATMOSS legislation, boosting jobs
3. Compliance costs will be lower outside the European Union… [not employment related]
4. We won’t have threats like the Copyright Directive to the free functioning of the Internet
5. We won’t have to comply with EU State Aid regulations…
6. Brexit should finally end the madness of double-testing products
7. Brexit means we don’t have to comply with rules restricting ‘natural monopolies’ e.g. the postal system
8. The North East is a strong fishing region. Outside the EU, our fisheries will recover through reclaiming our 200-mile limit
9. We can negotiate our own bespoke trade deals with third countries

10. The net EU membership fee

11. VAT- we can choose a fairer alternative

I'm sure there's lots more, such as less strain on our stretched services/housing from uncontrolled immigration from eastern europe etc..
I've asked Alexa loads of things, she's a right boring bitch :D

not brexit related but how can we get rid of this snake tongue

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

^ can't finding a way of embedding this video clip and unable to find it on youtube, even the way she speaks makes my alarm bells go off, you can't trust this woman as far as you could throw her [ metaphorically speaking ]

She's interested in censoring anyone with a different opinion to the government's and the mainstream media narrative/propaganda:

"Codes of practice, issued by the regulator, which could include measures such as requirements to minimise the spread of misleading and harmful disinformation with dedicated fact checkers, particularly during election periods."

Welcome to orwell's ministry of truth.

Last edited:

I don't know much detail about the Brexit saga but with the little bits and pieces I hear on the news, economically, I tend to agree with you or at least asked myself the same questions.

For example, I would image when it comes to things like medicine, produce, etc.. the EU can negotiate better terms?

However, isn't the EU trading block size equal to the sum of its parts? So if UK is economically #2 (according to the German woman in the video) and it leaves, will the EU still have the same buying/negotiating power?

Last edited:
I don't know much detail about the Brexit saga but with the little bits and pieces I hear on the news, economically, I tend to agree with you or at least asked myself the same questions.

For example, I would image when it comes to things like medicine, produce, etc.. the EU can negotiate better terms?

However, isn't the EU trading block size equal to the sum of its parts? So if UK is economically #2 (according to the German woman in the video) and it leaves, will the EU still have same the buying/negotiating power?

A very good point which I haven't seen raised or addressed anywhere :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back