What Music Do You Listen To?

Wow - You know Don Johnson?

since i was a teenager. he was good friends with an aunt of mine then we became close when he got involved with mickey rourkes boxing career. my buisness partners dad trained mick and we have all remained close over the years.

that was just too freakin funny swede:lolup: hasselhoff ? kinda looks like lojo with that safari hat on:lolup:ill have to have a second cup of coffee and take another look see. almost forgot what about" cheap trick "does anyone remember them?

Oh my god, lauriejim!! Yes!! Excellent band. That song "The Flame" is me and my guys song! Thanks for the reminder of this awesome band!!:thumbsup:

i forgot all about that one:thumbsup: thats a great song too :) did you ever like" kiss"? hard luck woman, beth and they did have some great hits also

of course. when i was a kid i ordered the kiss radio in the mail. it came with a membership to the kiss army. i didnt know then that once you're in, you're in for life.

Now does anyone remember OMD? They are my favourite band of all time, though not many people used to "get" their early stuff, which was the best stuff. Where their singles were generally quite poppy, the album stuff was dark, experimental, moody or just downright weird (Dazzle Ships LP). I've got an OMD record and CD collection that you wouldn't believe: over 200 rarities, promos, imports and limited editions etc all tucked away.

They tried to cross some of that stuff over into the mainstream with tracks like "Genetic Engineering", but they never got the credit they deserved IMO. Eventually they went pop-py and it diluted the concept a bit though tracks like Enola Gay did well commercially.

Anyway, they have reformed, are back on tour and have a new CD coming out later this year...looking forward to seeing how that turns out. Hopefully more akin to the earlier stuff. "Organisation" and "Architecture & Morality" were milestone albums for me.

I remember OMD and listen to them every now and then. The oddest band name ever but the music was good. Looking forward to the new album, hope they haven't changed.

My fav is Southern Rock. One ex. is The Allman Brothers. Love Kid Rock, "lonely road of faith"
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

(First time I copied from you tube so not sure if you'll get it from this url) and I also like James Taylor. Not sure about the states but Canada has music stations you can listen to through tv. one that rocks is the "flashback 70's" station excellent music, will really bring back memories if you were kickin around then. I like punk & grunge too. My daughter is in a punk/grunge band so I kinda got used to it. Dig pearl jam, Alice in Chains, Ramones, Teenage Head (Singer Frankies a good friend) When I'm in the mood I'll chill to Diana Krall, & Rickie Lee Jones.
Patrina

Amazing how it's always the Canadians that have the best taste in music.:notworthy

That said, let's all agree right away that Springsteen is the finest rock performer ever. 3 1/2 - 4 hour shows (and I've seen 80 of them in 25 different cities), and in the mid-70's, when the USA was only a couple of years removed from widespread race riots in numerous cities, Bruce had a 6-piece band with 3 white guys and 3 black guys. There's my role model. Success through hard work and social harmony through music.

From the punk music you noted, I saw Teenage Head play at my high school before their first album broke out. I also was lucky enough to see the Ramones (before any of them passed away, too!) I would seriously consider adding Bad Religion to your playlist. Brilliant lyrics combined with great punk music. For celtic-punk fun without anything quite as serious as BR, try the Dropkick Murphys. They're a Boston-area band that I've seen several times and can't get enough of.

Rickie Lee Jones is another old favourite of mine too, courtesy of my junior high school music teacher, but Diana Krall I can take or leave. Holly Cole can kick Krall's ass in a street fight and/or singing a jazz tune. Outdated URL (Invalid)

There's a good rock act named Joel Plaskett that non-Canadians likely haven't heard of before.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I wonder how much iPod technology has influenced the way we mix up our listening? It certainly has in my case, and with iPod connections in cars and powerful iPod speakers for the home that can deliver quality sound I think this way of personal choice compilation will continue to develop as the main way to enjoy your faves past and present.

iPods and individual song downloads have killed the concept of creating albums, but have also allowed individual songs to break out where they may not have done so in the past.

The car connections for mp3 players and satellite radio stations have driven the final nail in the coffin of commercial radio (which was dead/dying for years anyway); catering to marketing studies and advertising dollars instead of being a useful way to turn people on to more and more music and musicians.

This thread sure shows the power and appeal of music

The following (long) post was originally on a Springsteen discussion board just after Bruce released his Seeger Sessions disc. I did NOT write this. The author, though, managed to very powerfully express exactly how much music can do:

My father is 71 years old, born and bred in the Bronx. Spent his
formative years (early to mid 50s) tramping around the Village, and
always told us how much he'd gotten into the folk stuff back then,
then a little later in the early 60s. When we were little kids, he was
always singing in the car, and "Erie Canal," "Jesse James" and "Old
Dan Tucker" were part of the repetoire BrotherBridges, Grateful Ed and
I enjoyed.

The old man is morbidly obese, has chronic emphysema, (should be) on
oxygen 24-7, and is so immobile he spends most of the time parked
inside the house in a chair. Still relatively sharp, though. It's not
always a pretty situation. Anyway, I come and tell him there's this
new disc I want him to hear. I throw it in his boom box (and blast it
coz he's half deaf). Within the first four bars he's already singing,
"Old Man Tucker!" way before the lyrics even kick in. Then this THING
takes him over. The rush of his remembered youth; the welcoming of an
old musical friend he hadn't spoken to in perhaps decades; the sheer
exuberance of this barrel of joy bursting into the room.

This man was practically transformed by the first 30 seconds of the
disc. If I didn't know better, I thought he was about to leap up out
of the chair and start doing the Corporal Agarn arm-flailing dance
from the original black-and-white opening credits on "F Troop." "Jesse
James" kicks in and it's more of the same. He's singing along word for
word, then starts on "Oh, my YOUTH. Washington Square, a Sunday
afternoon, a thousand people singing..THIS.. then breaking into
smaller groups, each one with only a banjo and an guitar."

Then it happens: He was just overwhelmed. He starts to weep, and he
says, "They're all dead now. 50 years ago. So many of them (and he
names three guys who he grew up with who are now gone) gone...." At
this point, I'm thinking about an ABORT button, but I couldn't. This
was it. This was the transformative, transportative and transactitive
power of music. He takes it to another level. He says, "The songs from
when I was a boy...The songs I used to sing to MY boys...You remember
these, don't you?" More tears. Tears of joy, tears of nostalgia, tears
of mortality, tears of tomorrow. I'm barely holding it together at
this point.

He pulls himself together a bit and I start to jump around the disc.
My mother had been in the other room most of this time, but comes in
while "Pay Me My Money Down" is cracking. She yells across the room,
"OH! I remember Tennesse Ernie Ford singing this on the RADIO!!" and
then starts singing it word-for-word herself.

This record is getting better by the hour for me, and it was already
hip-deep in my good graces before I even slit the cellophane. Any
record that brings my old man to tears, which I've witnessed only once
before in my life, is a fucking home run.....

Remember, I'm not the author of the article. I'm happy to take credit for sharing it with you, but I didn't write it.

I was a teenager in the 60s so should have been into rock'n'roll (it's ok)..........however I have always preferred cool jazz. Anyone into John Tropea's older stuff, like his album "Short Trip to Space?" Ya, that explains a lot!

iPods and individual song downloads have killed the concept of creating albums, but have also allowed individual songs to break out where they may not have done so in the past.

Right on! My iPod is almost full of individual music faves from across four decades and from classical to rock ("Long tall women in a cool dress" by The Hollies gets me singing offkey every time LOL! and that bass work in "Politics of Dancing" is extraordinarily powerful)

The following (long) post was originally on a Springsteen discussion board just after Bruce released his Seeger Sessions disc. I did NOT write this. The author, though, managed to very powerfully express exactly how much music can do:

That is a brilliant piece of writing that, just like the music touches your soul. Powerful stuff indeed!

The car connections for mp3 players and satellite radio stations have driven the final nail in the coffin of commercial radio (which was dead/dying for years anyway); catering to marketing studies and advertising dollars instead of being a useful way to turn people on to more and more music and musicians.

Just got an MP3/FM Transmitter myself and yeah I'd agree. That said, radio in the UK and the US is a strange beast. I got involved in a bit of radio plugging when I ran my own small record label. It's not just a question of whether a song is "good" anymore, it's the package. US & UK commercial radio won't touch you unless you have a video, a distribution agreement throughout the region that covers all the major stores, a minimum print run and a promotional campaign. You can't just send them a CD! The MP3/iTunes phenomonem is the best thing that happened to the music industry IMO, not that everyone realises it jsut eyt. Minimal costs, marketing in your own hands, music sold on what it is - a good song - and access for independent labels and musicians to a world market.

Radio won't die, but it will have to change and adapt.

Amazing how it's always the Canadians that have the best taste in music.:notworthy

LOL. I'd argue that ;) Back in the 80's and early 90's, there always seemed to be a huge gulf between US and UK music. We had this perception that everyone over the pond liked the "American Rock" sound: Springsteen, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, whoever - and that until Hip-Hop and Rap hit the mainstream, it was very one-dimensional. Mainstream music that is - I know there were sub-cultures like there are everywhere. But the perception was that UK acts would struggle to break the US because of the focus.

Did I kill this thread by being too serious, or do my fellow players have a less passionate attitude towards their tunes?

huh? sorry, i was just erasing shit off my ipod!

Ill have to say The Clash specially "London Calling " and " Sandinista" , Ramones , Iggy Pop with and without the Stooges , Violent Femmes , New York Dolls amongst others but I do have a passion for ska and skin reggae.

I for one do not download music from certain bands I rather buy their music and then upload them to my Ipod . Just makes me feel special lol

Ill have to say The Clash specially "London Calling " and " Sandinista" , Ramones , Iggy Pop with and without the Stooges , Violent Femmes , New York Dolls amongst others but I do have a passion for ska and skin reggae.

The Clash *before* London Calling were one of my fave bands, back in the "Give 'Em Enough Rope" era (along with the Buzzcocks & The Damned especially) but I lost interest when London Calling came out. The Ramones are tops :thumbsup:

I agree I still think J Strummer changed the face of " punk " in that time they were the band with the most sound lyrics and more protestant nature rather than regular fuck everything .. bla bla which i dont really mind :cool: like the pistols .

Ramones to me are in another level something else.

Buzzcocks are awesome how about Screeching Weasel? or lets not forget about The Addicts and Circle Jerks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back