UK Severe Weather Warning

Wow went outside to clear my path and the snow was just below my knees, at 5ft 7", I don't consider myself to be a short ass - will have to get a pic :D

Kids school closed today and tomorrow and my workplace shutdown until at least Thursday evening too,possibly stretching to Friday..Paid ofc. :D
Force majeure they call it, as weather warning is status red.

I bloody walked to work and back as buses are hellish at my bit.

Needless to say won't even bother going tomorrow:laugh:
I’m hoping to not go tomorrow but knowing my luck i’ll still be able to get in. I made it in every day during that ridiculous snow in 2010. Wish I lived in the country and not the south side! :laugh:

Tiny bit of snow here and the way people are going on you'd think it was the apocalypse. Schools shut, roads closed IT'S NOT EVEN THAT BAD :mad:

Other parts of the country- perhaps. But another thing, what's with the f*cking stupid taglines the media give everything? Beast from the East? Beast from the East? Dicks

Tiny bit of snow here and the way people are going on you'd think it was the apocalypse. Schools shut, roads closed IT'S NOT EVEN THAT BAD :mad:

Other parts of the country- perhaps. But another thing, what's with the f*cking stupid taglines the media give everything? Beast from the East? Beast from the East? Dicks

Its pathetic isn't it.
What annoys me is when people drive in it when they clearly have no idea what to do. I could get anywhere today around here, although theres a lot of snow its easy enough to drive on if you're careful and know how to.
Watched a woman last night picking her child up from school in her SUV slide into the pavement, obviously not the best place to lose control of your car, at a school as children are coming out, but what really pissed me off is she lives 3 doors away from my daughter. My daughter walks to the school every day, as it takes less than 3 minutes! Like leave your car at home if you live a short walk away and/or have no idea how to drive in snow ffs.

Southern England, sod all snow as always, had a tiny bit yesterday, nothing today, loads forecast tomorrow so likely none tomorrow either.

I think its funny. We had about 10 cm here and yet half mile each way and nowt moves. Its black, really heavy and despite the main road been a really busy one its just comes down that hard and within 20 min its blocked. But the best fun is watching the HGV trying to get up the hill

It's quite rare we get it this heavy, last time was 2010/2011, and I can't remember the time before that!

March 2013 was last time it was really bad in West Yorkshire IIRC.
Was staying in a chalet in Bridlington at the time, was snowing like mad at home and didnt see any at the coast but came home to it.
Was bloody freezing over there though, was putting 20 quid a day in the chalets electric meter

Does it never snow in the UK? You guys sound like a bunch of South Africans. :p

Our news outlets go crazy about especially the "news" papers, BBC weather have been stirring the pot for well over a week now, most people only get excited because it *might* lead to a day off, then a few flakes fall and it "cripples" the country, as it is so infrequent we don't have things like snowplows or enough grit which of course the news jumps on. Usually its all melted and gone within 2-3 days.

Charlie Brooker did a good piece on the media hysteria after 2010.

Yesterday here in West Sussex we had about half an inch of snow and the kids where sent home at lunch time in order for the teachers to get home safely!
It is only an issue if London and the South East is effected because Scotland often has deep snow yet it hardly gets a mention.
When I was a boy I recall up to 6 feet of snow in my native Newcastle and we mostly just got on with it.Sometimes we would even wear a coat

Does it never snow in the UK? You guys sound like a bunch of South Africans. :p
We had a cold week and some snow in December recently, it will usually snow most years at sometime. Prolonged very cold winters are rare, and this WON'T be one, it's too late and in a week it'll probably be 16 degrees or something lol.

The last very bad winter was 81-82, before that 62-63 (sea froze in the south and east of England) and before that 46-47. The lowest temperature ever recorded is minus 27.2C in January 1982, December 1995 and February 18-hundred and something. All times in Braemar/Altnaharra in the Scottish Highlands. England's lowest was minus 25.2 in January 1982. Just a rumour of a snowflake is enough for a government crisis meeting nowadays.

I've got the central heating cranked up to MAX, wheeled out the 3-pronged electric heater in the living room, am running on the spot like Mr Motivator on crack, wearing four pullovers and my granny's woolly socks and I'm still fucking cold.

Please God let it pass.

We had a cold week and some snow in December recently, it will usually snow most years at sometime. Prolonged very cold winters are rare, and this WON'T be one, it's too late and in a week it'll probably be 16 degrees or something lol.

The last very bad winter was 81-82, before that 62-63 (sea froze in the south and east of England) and before that 46-47. The lowest temperature ever recorded is minus 27.2C in January 1982, December 1995 and February 18-hundred and something. All times in Braemar/Altnaharra in the Scottish Highlands. England's lowest was minus 25.2 in January 1982. Just a rumour of a snowflake is enough for a government crisis meeting nowadays.

2010/2011 wasn't great!

Bits of the Motorways around Glasgow not shifting.

Unclear if it's because of the snow or shite drivers, even in sunny conditions.

As for the name 'Beast from the East' - sounds like they're referring to some coastal serial killer and/or pervert.:what:
I’m hoping for another day off tomorrow! :laugh: Come on beast - give Glasgow more snow!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back