UK Conservative Party Leadership Election

Look man, I don't claim to know anything about the Isle of Man, other than this oft- repeated, historically accurate snippet

Isle of Moan - would you swap sunnier warmer climes of the S/SE of England for a 10% income tax rate? Emigrating there from Moanchester you wouldn't notice the weather difference I suppose. Of course, the nicer climes of the channel crown dependencies like Guernsey, Jersey and Alderney require wealth of 500k plus to live there which excludes most aside from ex-NuLiebore MP's, rich Tory MP's and 'tax efficient' businessmen. No sponging off of the welfare there.
I suppose we could negotiate with the Kurdish people traffickers in France for more fuel in their dinghies so their range extends round Cornwall, up the Irish sea to the Isle Of Moan, problem solved.
Then @ChopleyIOM could benefit from all the scientists, qualified doctors, nurses, drivers, mechanics, engineers and inventors that pack these boats as well as see a dive in the crime rate of the IoM and a vast increase in the quality of life for all residents. :rolleyes:

Something seriously mental going on here, treating these boat folk like visiting minor royalty! Priorities ass about face, this would not have happened in the 1980-90s.

View attachment 175336
I'm jumping on a Stena Line soon - think they'll let me stay at the posh hotel outside Belfast on the basis i came on a boat and am fleeing the SNP? To be fair, it's probably as legitimate :p

A lot of shouting at the clouds here....

Twelve years of Tory rule, plus you all got your Brexit, and a hard one at that, yet the dinghy people are still coming and getting put up in nice hotels - sucks I guess. We can't blame the EU anymore but I see dunover has now identified that it's the UN's fault, so we have a new bogeyman at least.

Maybe we could opt out of the UN too, or perhaps blast England off into outer space and establish it as its own colony, in a sort of 'Earthexit' manoeuvre, and really show the rest of the planet who's boss.

It's natural to look around for someone or something to blame, the Tories have failed, Brexit has not only failed on its own terms but it's actively harmed the UK too, by costing it around £100bn per year in economic activity and weakening it on the world stage. Plus we lost the Dublin Regulation which as an EU member meant we could send the dinghy people back to the first safe EU country they'd arrived in (which we did do as an EU member), but we can't do that anymore.

Union Jacks all round.

Tick tock, tick tock, Brexit will get reversed, it's inevitable, and only a matter of time.

A lot of shouting at the clouds here....

Twelve years of Tory rule, plus you all got your Brexit, and a hard one at that, yet the dinghy people are still coming and getting put up in nice hotels - sucks I guess. We can't blame the EU anymore but I see dunover has now identified that it's the UN's fault, so we have a new bogeyman at least.

Maybe we could opt out of the UN too, or perhaps blast England off into outer space and establish it as its own colony, in a sort of 'Earthexit' manoeuvre, and really show the rest of the planet who's boss.

It's natural to look around for someone or something to blame, the Tories have failed, Brexit has not only failed on its own terms but it's actively harmed the UK too, by costing it around £100bn per year in economic activity and weakening it on the world stage. Plus we lost the Dublin Regulation which as an EU member meant we could send the dinghy people back to the first safe EU country they'd arrived in (which we did do as an EU member), but we can't do that anymore.

Union Jacks all round.

Tick tock, tick tock, Brexit will get reversed, it's inevitable, and only a matter of time.

Sigh I believe the point goes over Chopley's head again. The problem isn't Brexit, the problem isn't the UN. It's the implementation of said policies that have failed that would've continued to fail regardless of whoever was in charge (SnoutFucker Cameron or Marxist Corbyn). The point is that regardless of which side you pick, the lot of them are selfish self-serving incompetent individuals.

And if you truly believe Brexit will get reversed, then I'm also believing my next bonus buy on an NLC slot will be max win, honest!

Sigh I believe the point goes over Chopley's head again. The problem isn't Brexit, the problem isn't the UN. It's the implementation of said policies that have failed that would've continued to fail regardless of whoever was in charge (SnoutFucker Cameron or Marxist Corbyn). The point is that regardless of which side you pick, the lot of them are selfish self-serving incompetent individuals.

And if you truly believe Brexit will get reversed, then I'm also believing my next bonus buy on an NLC slot will be max win, honest!

We lost the Dublin Regulation when we left the EU, that's a fact. So Brexit made the situation worse.

As with all this stuff, it's complicated, with a lot of moving parts, I have never claimed that Brexit is the cause of all woes, what I will claim, because it's true, is that Brexit has made a whole lot of stuff worse than it was, or worse than it would have been without Brexit.

So on the economy for example, Covid and the war in Ukraine have hit the UK hard, same as the rest of the world, but Brexit cost us another 4-5% of GDP on top of that too, which is an extra wound we inflicted on ourselves.

Brexit will be reversed eventually, back in the Single Market and Customs Union first, which means abiding by a lot of EU rules, at which point it becomes blatantly obvious that we'd be better off fully in. Demographics will do the job in time, you only need to look at the age ranges of who voted for Brexit and who didn't to work out how it'll finish up.

If there were another referendum tomorrow then rejoin would comfortably win, and that's not going to change.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

1667644968651.png

1667645114914.png

Anyway back on track, I see Sunak is now going for an interesting pitch, 'I can't help you, vote for me'.

That's got winning tactics written all over it, especially against a backdrop of recession, tax increases and reduced services.

1667646850092.png

It's the secret symbol that people worth £700m or more wear when they're telling everyone else they need to tighten their belts, and that 'difficult choices' need to be made, such as waiting hours for an ambulance to arrive, and that it's only going to get worse.

'No human being is illegal, and I hate what is happening to this country, I hate how hateful people's language can be, I don't believe that you believe that anyone coming here deserves that treatment'.

Remember folks, we're only a couple of stages of evolution away from the monkeys, we have brutality and violence running through our veins, it's how we came to be the dominant species on the planet, but the point is we built something better, we learned to be something better, we've evolved into something better, let's not be the hatred, it's easy to hate. Understanding and compassion takes more time, a bit more of a thought process, but it's worth it.

Or we could just go back to being fucking monkeys.

Last edited:
Iirc you have said some things regarding Rees Farage and Nigel Mogg that could be mistaken for this emotion?

I've certainly been highly critical of them both, but I'd be interested to see anything I've ever written that could be construed as 'hate speech'. Plus those are criticisms aimed at individuals based on observable actions that they've taken, rather than demonising and dehumanising an entire group of people based on nothing more than Daily Mail style rhetoric.

I'm sure we all remember Farage stood in front of this poster?

Still, at least we broke free from the EU and took back control of our borders. Lol.

1667730142329.png

No great surprises in Hunt's statement, plus it'd been largely foreshadowed anyway.

The short version is that the UK is in recession, our GDP has taken a battering, and the country's finances are so fucked that even though we're going into recession, spending will be cut and taxes will rise because that's what we're left with after twelve years of Tory rule. (Which will exacerbate the recession and create unemployment.)

Truss and Kwarteng with their 'bold gamble' bust a £55bn hole in already faltering finances, and now it will be plugged by a combination of tax rises and spending cuts, after a gruelling decade of austerity and the massive self-inflicted wound of Brexit.

In short, shit ain't getting better any time soon.

Funny how 'GDP' is becoming a very commonly heard word these days - almost a buzz word, I don't recall it being mentioned much when we had the 2008 crash...

On the upside the self inflicted wound of brexit saves us a guaranteed £10 billion of govt tax money annually come rain or shine.

Funny how 'GDP' is becoming a very commonly heard word these days - almost a buzz word, I don't recall it being mentioned much when we had the 2008 crash...

On the upside the self inflicted wound of brexit saves us a guaranteed £10 billion of govt tax money annually come rain or shine.

£10bn annually 'saved' against a permanent annual £100bn loss of economic activity, all of which would have generated tax revenues and employment here in the UK. What a deal!

If you've got any £50 notes you'd like to swap for fivers, so you can declare, 'Look everyone, I just made a fiver!', let me know and I'll pop round :)

Well, at least the delayed horror Budget of late October has now been laid bare for all to see, and it's about as expected....

That's to say, did anyone think we wouldn't have to pay back for the 'special time' of furlough and prohibition? It was always going to be this way.

So with that comes another period of austerity and clawing our way back from the depths, probably another half a generation stretch before we see the 'green shoots of recovery'! And with that, the Furlough Financial Fun times are over, and with this income-cleaving announcement forever marked as the Bat Soup Budget that nearly ruined us all :eek:

Last edited:
£10bn annually 'saved' against a permanent annual £100bn loss of economic activity, all of which would have generated tax revenues and employment here in the UK. What a deal!

If you've got any £50 notes you'd like to swap for fivers, so you can declare, 'Look everyone, I just made a fiver!', let me know and I'll pop round :)

£100 bn loss of 'economic activity' - so you're telling me there is 100bn out there in europe, itching to buy services or products from us, but the free trade deal we signed with the EU is stopping them?

£100 bn loss of 'economic activity' - so you're telling me there is 100bn out there in europe, itching to buy services or products from us, but the free trade deal we signed with the EU is stopping them?

First off mack, it's not really a 'free trade deal', all it essentially did was agree not to impose any tariffs, but still subjected the UK to all the red tape and hassles of being a third country outside the EU and critically, outside the Single Market and Customs Union.

The damage is calculated to be around £100bn in lost economic output, every single year, denying the UK Treasury around £40bn in tax receipts, every single year.

Secondly, yes a lot of the EU would like to trade more with us than they have since Brexit, but as many UK exporters to the EU are finding, and vice versa, all the extra costs and hassle make it not worth their while. (Although we still haven't even implemented all the post-Brexit controls we should have on imports to the UK, which is partly why they found all that rotting meat being sent to the UK through Dover a couple of months ago, documented a bit earlier in this thread.)

This isn't theoretical anymore, it's not 'Project Fear', it's now established fact with a mountain of evidence to back it up - Brexit is hurting the UK economically to a massive degree. (Exactly like all those pesky experts said it would, back in 2016.)

If you haven't watched it already, I'll politely suggest you take 28 minutes out of your day to watch this, it's all there with the facts and figures to back it up.

1668721214250.png
1668721297246.png

First off mack, it's not really a 'free trade deal', all it essentially did was agree not to impose any tariffs, but still subjected the UK to all the red tape and hassles of being a third country outside the EU and critically, outside the Single Market and Customs Union.

The damage is calculated to be around £100bn in lost economic output, every single year, denying the UK Treasury around £40bn in tax receipts, every single year.

Secondly, yes a lot of the EU would like to trade more with us than they have since Brexit, but as many UK exporters to the EU are finding, and vice versa, all the extra costs and hassle make it not worth their while. (Although we still haven't even implemented all the post-Brexit controls we should have on imports to the UK, which is partly why they found all that rotting meat being sent to the UK through Dover a couple of months ago, documented a bit earlier in this thread.)

This isn't theoretical anymore, it's not 'Project Fear', it's now established fact with a mountain of evidence to back it up - Brexit is hurting the UK economically to a massive degree. (Exactly like all those pesky experts said it would, back in 2016.)

If you haven't watched it already, I'll politely suggest you take 28 minutes out of your day to watch this, it's all there with the facts and figures to back it up.

View attachment 175938
View attachment 175939

I'm suspicious of the figure, it's a bit too convenient for memory and propaganda, a nice round 100. However let's assume it's near enough correct, it doesn't justify all the EU baggage, which in turn requires a £10 billion contribution from the uk treasury.

I'm surprised someone of the left is happy to spend that level of money on generated bureaucracy [there would always be some between countries trading but I question whether the EU model creates the minimum] while you have all sorts of desperate needs back home. This is a doubling up effect in the cost of government, the uk central civil service annual cost being around 11 billion.

On top of that you have to agree to an open door migration policy with the rest of europe, some parts being very poor and very keen to move here. That's a reality it's not being mean. Having a widely spoken language is part of that.

This is on a plaque in the visitor's centre for the european parliament, so an undemocratic federal union is the solution, headed by a president not chosen by the public, that's what it comes down to.

1668723051645.png

Remainers like the EU because they believe it's generally left wing, and socially aware etc... so they're willing to trade their national democracy, the power of their vote, for that.

The EU is a political project first and foremost using trade as the hostage, I'm not sure the average person across europe wants that or sees the need for it. [Anyway this is really a brexit thread post in the wrong place!]

Last edited:
Scary times, how are we going to get through a potentially cold winter if people sat at home in a mildish november, in the main watching football on low energy use led TV's, is a big worry to the system. Years ago every house would have on several 40 watt lightbulbs and crt TVs which consumed far more energy than the modern led afaik

Thing is, those people that are energy-wasters will continue to be, as habits aren't really 'un-formed'. Then it comes down to defining what constitutes energy wastage, and whether leaving a hallway light on inadvertently deemed an environmental crime.

There's no denying everyone could consciously sharpen up when it comes to energy consumption, but human behaviour dictates it'll never be perfect. It'll get to the stage where governments dictate - and allocate - what you can use, and when, under some current trend to heal the planet. But until then, the easiest way to get people's attention is to bribe them!

What guarantee is there that the recipient of these funds even adheres to their pledge to reduce their energy usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back