Please Sign This Petition

Pinababy69

RIP Lisa
This is probably just for the Canadian members we have here, specifically those from Ontario (Laura, Jazzy, XOXO and others). It is to pass a new law updating the requirements for which an Amber Alert will be issued. As it stands now, there has to be a vehicle description, and evidence of an abduction. In the case of Tori Stafford, the video shows her walking willingly away from her school with her abductor....so no force, no vehicle. The police's hands are tied by these ridiculous requirements.

A parent knows when there is something wrong...call it intuition, whatever. When a small eight year old doesn't show up after school, and a video shows that child leaving the school property with an unknown person, that should be enough to issue an alert.

It has now come to light that the police are also searching for a 2003 Honda, that they believe the suspects were using, and that had been seen that evening in a store parking lot. What if Tori were with them, and someone who had seen the Amber Alert noticed/recognized her? It may have saved her life.

Please ask our Ontario Members of Parliament to change the law. Thanks.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Done Pina, thanks for bringing that to our attention. At the time of the abduction, I couldn't understand why the police were NOT issuing one.

Also, Me_and_Ed, Wangpoker, and most of the Rival Reps are from Canada. I think that Alex_Buzz is originally from Canada, so maybe he would sign too.

Signed. I haven't been following the story too much, but I have seen the headlines all over the newpapers on the west coast. I feel terrible for Tori's family and the police just can't get anything right, including an apology.

In Ontario they do not issue Amber Alerts for abductions and in BC, they taser "suspects" who can easily be detain using pepper spray. Go figure?

Petition signed Pinababy. I had been following this story since it first happened and am saddened by the outcome.
Its unthinkable how someone could do such things to innocent children who have done nothing to hurt anyone.

Signed. I haven't been following the story too much, but I have seen the headlines all over the newpapers on the west coast. I feel terrible for Tori's family and the police just can't get anything right, including an apology.

In Ontario they do not issue Amber Alerts for abductions and in BC, they taser "suspects" who can easily be detain using pepper spray. Go figure?

Thanks Jaxon. I know I don't have too many fans at Rival right now, but if you could pass the petition link on to some of the other Canadian Rival reps, that would be awesome.

And yeah, none of it makes a lick of sense.

Petition Getting Some Notice

Thanks to everyone who has signed the petition to change the Amber Alert guidelines here in Ontario. Apparently, the powers that be are listening. :thumbsup:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Canwest News Service
May 26, 2009

GUELPH, Ont. - Ontario Provincial Police are reviewing the way Amber Alerts are handled, as authorities entered their seventh day in the hunt for the remains of eight-year-old Victoria (Tori) Stafford.

Rick Bartolucci, the province's minister of community safety and correctional services, confirmed Tuesday that the OPP is reviewing the criteria used for issuing Amber Alerts. He told reporters at Queen's Park that he welcomes the review.

An online petition to the Ontario government claims the OPP warning system is flawed and is calling for an examination and harsher penalties for people who commit crimes against children. The petition had almost 20,000 signatures as of Tuesday morning.

OPP spokesman Insp. Dave Ross said the review would get underway ``very quickly'' and would be a co-ordinated effort between officials, police and the media. He said the Stafford crisis has drawn significant attention to how the system works.

"It certainly has come to light because of that case,'' he said. "The review is independent of the case but it was a contributing factor.''

Ross said it was too early to say what criteria would be looked at because the whole system, which began in the United States, would have to be examined.

At the time of Tori's disappearance, police said the case didn't fit the criteria for an Amber Alert and it was never activated.

Cont'd.....

That you have to have a CAR to abduct or harm a child!! Ludicrous.

I'm writing my MP as well. Did everyone know you can snail mail your MP without postage?

My co-grandma works at Peter Milliken's office, Speaker for the House. He cannot bring in a private member bill, nor vote unless it is a tie, but I am making sure it reaches his attention.

An eight year old is not a runaway. And so what if she was?

That you have to have a CAR to abduct or harm a child!! Ludicrous.

I'm writing my MP as well. Did everyone know you can snail mail your MP without postage?

My co-grandma works at Peter Milliken's office, Speaker for the House. He cannot bring in a private member bill, nor vote unless it is a tie, but I am making sure it reaches his attention.

An eight year old is not a runaway. And so what if she was?

That's great Jazzy!!

Did you read that they have a gas station surveillance video now, that shows the car they are looking for.....with the two suspects and Tori inside? It was taken a short time afte she was abducted. Had the Amber Alert been issued right away, maybe that gas station attendant would have recognized Tori, and stopped them or at least called it in. Granted, they didn't have the vehicle description at the time, but maybe he would have recognized her.

This one really hits home for me, because she was the exact same age as my own daughter. Similar in size, weight....and they both love Hannah Montana (the coat and tshirt that Tori was wearing when abducted).

I just wish they could find her....this has gone on too long. There's such a big area to cover, and I'm forcing myself to not think of the longer that it goes on, how much worse it gets for the parents.

it's a sad story. my coworker is very close to that family and we had posters up all over the truck stop where i work and photocopied them hundreds of times over, urging patrons to take them and spread them around.

early detection and reporting are vital. on the other hand, this was the most publicized case of an abducted child i've seen in the news, yet still it was a fruitless investigation until the killers are suddenly revealed to have been three blocks away the entire time.

and it was terrible to see this one get dragged through the spotlight; it depicts real hopelessness in humankind, and to know that this happens to hundreds of kids every day and no one's children are safe. it makes me afraid if i ever hatch any of my own to ever let them out of my sight. the world is such a cold evil selfish place.

:thumbsup:

Good to see you Happy!! Where have you been hiding out?

This is/was a sad case. I've almost given up hope that they will ever find her.

what gets me is I just read the story from the Link that you provided Pina why couldn't they have included her picture also it would have taken a few seconds to add it an maybe a 1 by 1 spot

hell they do that here in the USA also write a story an omit the childs picture when in fact maybe some 1 might see that child an be able to say this an that

Cindy

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back