PETA wants Eight Belles Suspended

babs7262

Banned User
and I agree. Eight Belles broke his 2 front ankles just one quarter mile after post time at the gate and he kept him running even though he knew he broke his ankles.

This jockey should have his ankles broken and run a mile afterwards to see how that feels! Now they want to revoke his 2nd place status. I think the poor horse deserves the 2nd place, he died for it, as for the jockey, take his away!

The horse is a she Babs :D

I thought she broke her ankles after the race was finished, galloping out?

And how could she run with 2 broken ankles?

Could you post a link to where you got this info?

so he blew a couple tires... you gotta ride those rims to the next rest stop.

but in all seriousness, shouldn't they be against all horse racing, not just hurt horses being raced?

isn't the ethical treatment of animals to leave them all be, not ever interact with them except as you would in the wild?

go shut down some zoos and liberate some pets from their enclosures, peta!

i guess my "all seriousness" didn't last. :thumbsup:

Here's an article on Yahoo news page right now......

PETA wants Eight Belles jockey suspended
May 4, 7:00 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintNORFOLK, Va. (AP)People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is seeking the suspension of Eight Belles jockey after the filly had to be euthanized following her second-place finish in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.

Gabriel Saez was riding Eight Belles when she broke both front ankles while galloping out a quarter of a mile past the wire. She was euthanized on the track.

PETA faxed a letter Sunday to Kentuckys racing authority claiming the filly was doubtlessly injured before the finish and asked that Saez be suspended while Eight Belles death is investigated.

What we really want to know, did he feel anything along the way? PETA spokeswoman Kathy Guillermo said. If he didnt then we can probably blame the fact that theyre allowed to whip the horses mercilessly.

Eight Belles trainer Larry Jones said the filly was clearly happy when she crossed the finish line.

I dont know how in the heck they can even come close to saying that, Jones told The Associated Press on Sunday. She has her ears up, clearly galloping out.

Guillermo said if Saez is found at fault, the group wants the second-place prize of $400,000 won by Eight Belles to be revoked.

Saez, a 20-year-old Panama native, was riding in his first Kentucky Derby. He frequently rides for Jones.

A call to the jockeys room at Delaware Park, where Saez raced on Sunday, went unanswered.

Eight Belles, the first filly since 1999 to run in the Derby, appeared fine until collapsing while galloping out after the finish.

The letter to the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority also sought a ban on whipping, limits on races and the age of racehorses, and a move to softer, artificial surfaces for all courses.

theyre allowed to whip the horses mercilessly

That's the biggest bunch of crap I ever heard.

The whipping can't hurt like PETA makes it out to be, how much do horses weigh? In my thoughts when the jockey whips the horse if feels like if you were to walk by your husband and slap him on the butt, and if it did hurt wouldn't they cry or moan like a cat or dog in pain?

I believe they understand the whipping means "lets get going" it's not painful, it's more of a command.

PETA wants publicity. That's all. :mad: I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals. (I cried when Eight Belles was hurt and then put down.) These animals are bred for speed. Evidently their small leg bones are a result of this. Race horses are cursed with leg problems. There should be a change made in the breeding.

I'm not an expert, but from watching the race -- and replays -- that horse was fine till after the race ended. She gave it all she had. Let her keep her second place.

And dammit, I'm all teary eyed again... :mad:

I agree. PETA is only out to raise hell whenever they see fit. They could care less about this, or any other horse.

Want more proof?

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Link Removed (invalid URL)

Hypocrisy is the mother of all credibility problems, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has it in spades. While loudly complaining about the "unethical" treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, the group has its own dirty little secret.

PETA kills animals. By the thousands.

From July 1998 through December 2006, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed over 17,400 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals." That's more than five defenseless creatures every day. PETA has a walk-in freezer to store the dead bodies, and contracts with a Virginia Beach company to cremate them.

Not counting the pets PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 97 percent of the animals it took in during 2006. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing.

oh and i might add, isn't euthanization the ethical thing to do? you gonna let it suffer there, two front legs broken, immobilized, to starve out?

and they call for artificial surfaces? pretty sure horses have run on non-artificial surfaces for thousands of years. let's carpet the whole world and pad every sharp corner on earth while we're at it. wouldn't want any defenceless animals to get a boo-boo now.

and it should be illegal to own a dog and a rolled-up newspaper simultaneously.

:thumbsup:

Eight Belles' Trainer Defends Jockey

May 6, 2008
Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Post comment Text size: LEXINGTON, Ky. - The trainer of euthanized filly Eight Belles adamantly defended the way jockey Gabriel Saez handled the Kentucky Derby runner-up.

By Associated Press

Sorry about that, I knew EB was a female but I always put "he: lol, I dont know why, maybe its because every single horse with the exception of one was a male.

Ive been a rider my whole life and my family has been into horse racing forever, infact one cousin (ron ferraro) was world jockey of the year in the 60's and my other cousin (rich ferraro) owned race horses and to this day is an official at Phila Park.

"most" horses are treated very well and it puts a bad taste in our mouth when something like this happens. I dont feel its animal abuse to race horses unless you get some greedy bastard who's just in it for the money and not the passion they have for the horse.

The dog races is what i feel is horrible, those poor dogs are run to the ground and the reason they make the best house pet is because they are so wiped out by the time their career is over, they are pretty much too tired to be an aggressive pet and grateful to be able to just chill in the house . I have a friend who has 6 of them! She treats them like gold and so they can enjoy their retirement. If your looking for a dog...this is the kind to adopt! THere are so many of them needing a home and like I said, you wont find a nicer pet to have in your home. Yes, they are big! But they are so lovable

I just now watched the hour special on Barbaro and watched his jockey pull him from the race within seconds of its start because he knew something wasnt right. Even though he didnt make it, Eight Belles jockey should of pulled his horse from the race too. The Barbaro Jockey said "at that point Ididnt care about winning the race, I had more concern for Barbaro"

Obviously this jockey didnt

The dog races is what i feel is horrible, those poor dogs are run to the ground and the reason they make the best house pet is because they are so wiped out by the time their career is over, they are pretty much too tired to be an aggressive pet and grateful to be able to just chill in the house . I have a friend who has 6 of them! She treats them like gold and so they can enjoy their retirement. If your looking for a dog...this is the kind to adopt! THere are so many of them needing a home and like I said, you wont find a nicer pet to have in your home. Yes, they are big! But they are so lovable

WRONG WRONG WRONG

We owned race greyhounds for years now, we just brought our first one home yesterday.

The are not "run into the ground" they race for 30 or so seconds I believe only twice a week, they are not allowed more. So how could they be "run into the ground"?

Why can't greyhound owners be passionate like horse owners as you say? Did you know most greyhound owners who race them also have retired ones as pets? Most contributions to greyhound adoption places are from owners.

It bothers me when people (not you Babs) think they know what goes on in greyhound racing when they really have no idea.

The reason they make good pets is because of their demeanor, greyhounds are just nice dogs all around, THAT'S why.

I am just going by the person i met who owns 6 of them. She was in market to adopt and started reading all of thess articles on greyhounds and got very involved. They may just run 30 seconds at a time (ive been to a race) but they work them out alot, well , at the time she went into detail and there are thousands of dogs that have nowhere to go because the owners dont want them anymore. THats why she took 6

Ill find out the exact number, I was just going by what she said and she seemed to know alot on the subject. Let me see if I can find something before I state anything further. I dont want to offend anyone, infact I went to the dog track because I was interested and it was before I heard what she had said

Some Facts that I have read:

Daily Existence:
Racing greyhounds spend the majority of their adult lives in crates or pens or in fenced enclosures. Human companionship is limited. Many enclosures are not climate-controlled, causing the dogs distress during inclement weather.

They are forced to maim and/or kill bait animals such as rabbits, THousands of Greyhounds are put down each year because they have such a huge surplus. THey are soley used for entertainment and profit unlike horses who usually have passionate owners for that certain animal

Here's some more facts

It would be one thing if these owners had a passion for them but they really dont. It is mostly for profit from what i have read and I have read atleast 10 fact articles

Something else I feel I should add....Its not that Im some phanatic, I also feel the same way about those pageants for toddlers too. I guess I just feel its wrong to make anyone living thing compete for profit if they dont have their own voice.

We are involved in it, I'm not going by hearsay. I am going to let this subject lay, as one cannot change anothers mind. If you believe everything you read, that's fine. I'm could dig up bad facts about any subject you name.

Some Facts that I have read:

Daily Existence:
Racing greyhounds spend the majority of their adult lives in crates or pens or in fenced enclosures. Human companionship is limited. Many enclosures are not climate-controlled, causing the dogs distress during inclement weather.

They are forced to maim and/or kill bait animals such as rabbits, THousands of Greyhounds are put down each year because they have such a huge surplus. THey are soley used for entertainment and profit unlike horses who usually have passionate owners for that certain animal

Here's some more facts

It would be one thing if these owners had a passion for them but they really dont. It is mostly for profit from what i have read and I have read atleast 10 fact articles

Something else I feel I should add....Its not that Im some phanatic, I also feel the same way about those pageants for toddlers too. I guess I just feel its wrong to make anyone living thing compete for profit if they dont have their own voice.
......i have been to a greyhound race several times and have talked with owners, the S.P.C.A is on site at the track in west memphis , arkansas during the races and they have a place set up there to adopt some of the dogs, i was able to talk to some of the owners and pet the hounds, i found them very lovable and the owners caring people. horse racing and hound racing have been around for ages, longer than P.E.T.A and if the S.P.C.A is onboard i have more faith in what they do than P.E.TA. i have trouble with cock fighting and pitbull fighting where there is no one there to protect the animals and they can fight to the death, thats what we should be concerned about.just my 2- cents worth................laurie

We are involved in it, I'm not going by hearsay. I am going to let this subject lay, as one cannot change anothers mind. If you believe everything you read, that's fine. I'm could dig up bad facts about any subject you name.

For example........

I went to google and typed in "what happens to retired horses"

Yet, just because the horse has been retired to live life as a stallion doesn’t mean the life is a good one. The life of a stallion can often be lonely and isolated, as stallions many times cannot be turned out with other geldings because they are too aggressive and protective over their mares. The stallions may be kept alone inside for a majority of the time for this reason. This is not always the case, but it does happen.

Many times the unsuccessful horses are sold to auction, where killer buyers then purchase the horses to sent to slaughter for foreign consumption.

Wow a few bad facts about horse racing.

OH
I agree with you on that too Just play, I even said that "most" horses are treated well as there are alot of ppl who dont really care about the horse. Im not slamming the dog races, Im just saying that anyone who doesnt have a voice like an "animal" "small kid" it's, just a shame. Like a person, you can see it in a animals' eyes if they are unhappy and some just dont have a choice and then there are animals who love it like Barbaro, he loved racing, you could tell. I just wish ppl took notice to see if their animal was happy with their life. They have the right to enjoy their exsistence just like anyone else

My own family was in horse racing, so Im not lumping them all together. THere is good and bad in everything and if your involved, I have no doubt that your a "good one" and LJ, youre right, PETA has another agenda half the time. I belong to alot of animal rights groups and PETA isnt one of them lol.
And dont even get me started on those Aholes who fight their pitbulls and chickens ! OMG..If I ran into one of them, I would kill em and do my time

Yup...you guys are right about PETA, I just always assumed they were in it to help the animals, but that's not true.

I agree with you about how you can tell if they are enjoying it, you can see it in their eyes.

Our greyhound is sooooooooooo nice, I am enjoying his time here more and more, but it's like having a baby...lol...lots of work, I'm so tired, not like my cat, she's easy.

Believe it or not our greyhound is totally fine with our cat and he's only been here since Monday, but we haven't had him loose around her yet, we have to work that in slowly. They told me it will be around 3 months for him to fully adjust to everything, but I think it will be sooner, he's very intelligent. I can't recommend enough to anyone who wants a dog to get a greyhound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back