Mussel hunting

Wow, that`s awesome, there are huge bounty`s out there for shellfish. I have a friend who owns a cockle boat and the prices they return has gone through the roof, although limited by quotas his average daily income is in excess of £25,000, this, unlike the high risk crab fishing etc in the Bering Sea, comes almost danger free and his hunting grounds are just a few miles off the coast. But, when done incorrectly and working for a none safety at work orientated boss the results can be deadly..........

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Pretty common here in the highlands.

Good money in it, I have some mates that will go out and do it on weekends and earn another weeks wages.

Yeah I saw this on tv, what a brave woman, this was on Natural World I believe, it was on tv before Christmas, there was another one with a man hang gliding down a cliff face with a skinny rope trying to get birds eggs, scary stuff:eek2:

I worked on a Shrimp/Prawn boat for 7 years. We would be out at Sea for 9 months of the year. Do one season of Tiger prawns for 4 months and do Banana Prawns for 5 months of the year.
At the age of 17 I was making between $80,000-$120,00 per year. This was 14 years ago though.
I have to say was the best job I have ever had.

I worked on a Shrimp/Prawn boat for 7 years. We would be out at Sea for 9 months of the year. Do one season of Tiger prawns for 4 months and do Banana Prawns for 5 months of the year.
At the age of 17 I was making between $80,000-$120,00 per year. This was 14 years ago though.
I have to say was the best job I have ever had.

My current BF worked on a crab boat for a year, he was making £4000 a week,(so he told me) pity he wasn't working there now lol.

Trying to get work here now is REDICULOUS, there is NO WORK, how do you get out of a rut(literally) when there is no work, I wish I could rewind the years to 2000 :(, (but still have my beautiful children)

That sounds a bit high.

Those prices don't surprise me at all. I also have a friend who still works on a Tuna boat they go out and catch 3-4 Tuna a day and make over $15,000 just for those 3-4 fish.
Japanese LOVE there seafood and have NO problem in spending the big money for good quality stuff.

They will pay $6,000-$15,000 per Tuna without hesitation.

Will they never learn? Rescue terror of the cocklers risking their lives on British shores to earn up to £1,000 a day
Up to 600 people go out into the Ribble estuary to harvest the 'shells of gold'
Fishermen can earn £1,000 a day from cockle picking
Calls for emergency controls to prevent a repeat of 2004 disaster
By JAYA NARAIN
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back