Knowing what you're getting for Christmas - Good / Bad?

Cleveland

I find myself getting excited about an upcoming gift. It's a birthday gift as my birthday is shortly after Christmas (Jan 8) but it made me wonder how others feel about knowing what they are getting for Christmas.

Yes yes story time. It will be quick...promise.

Wife allowed me to make a deposit at 3dice despite being well over my deposit budget for this month, last month,.........and the prior month :oops:. I won a small amount (5 x deposit amount). While at my parents house visiting I advise my wife I was planning on using the winnings for the new XBox One. I'm busy flipping through the advertisement section of the news paper. My wife suggest it would be nice to just put the winnings back in the bank (rightfully so as I'm over budget). So my mom hears this and ask "what's the Xbox One," as she walks over and looks down at the advertising section.

......Now me being a proud momma's boy I already knew what this meant well before she even walked over. From the moment she even opened her mouth to ask what the Xbox One was. As I point down to what I know will be my new gaming console, I couldn't help but turn to my wife with the evil childish grin
smiley-devil02.gif
on my face.

My mom won't get it for Christmas. I will be left "wondering" :rolleyes: why I haven't gotten it, but I know with my birthday around the corner it will come.

I'm so excited, and I feel my anticipation is higher than it would be if I didn't have any clue of what was coming. My wife says she likes being surprised with gifts and the whole not knowing. Made me wonder if I'm just different are or there others like me who could care less about surprise and prefer to know what's coming?

Well, from my mom, I already got mine, 46" tv, cuz I picked it out, used her CC and told her it's what she got me, so no surprise there lol. From the BF, told him, we're broke, just want one thing - hooded robe for putting dogs out, hiding inside all wrapped up. With friends, we all do the Secret Santa exchange, so one out, one in, each. My brother emailed me today saying 'gifts in the mail', so that means gift cards.

Nope, no surprises here, lol...fyi, my birthday sucks more than yours - same week as Xmas :D

Well, from my mom, I already got mine, 46" tv, cuz I picked it out, used her CC and told her it's what she got me, so no surprise there lol. From the BF, told him, we're broke, just want one thing - hooded robe for putting dogs out, hiding inside all wrapped up. With friends, we all do the Secret Santa exchange, so one out, one in, each. My brother emailed me today saying 'gifts in the mail', so that means gift cards.

Nope, no surprises here, lol...fyi, my birthday sucks more than yours - same week as Xmas :D

Ouch that sucks pretty bad. The same freakin week? At least with mine people tend to feel a bit guilty for not doing both as they are slightly apart. You should have asked for one of those snuggy things. You know the blanket looking thing with the arm sleeves?

I can see why some would want or like surprises but I'm with you, just gimmie what I tell you to gimmie :D

My kid always asks what I want now, and I always tell her. I know her budget, and I know she doesn't have money or time to waste on presents I don't want or need. She pretty much knows what she's getting from me. Of course there's something small, but there are small items that are traditional, a favourite treat, or long underwear.

For quite a number of years, my dad would take me shopping and buy me a new dressy dress, which I'd have before the holidays for the various parties.

If I can eat or drink it, there's usually a wish choice for anyone looking to buy me a gift. I'd consider a t-bone or a rack of lamb a fine gift, it doesn't need to be chocolate, lol.

But my boyfriend, when I had one, better have a surprise for me xmas morning. Even if I know the big present.

I find myself getting excited about an upcoming gift. It's a birthday gift as my birthday is shortly after Christmas (Jan 8) but it made me wonder how others feel about knowing what they are getting for Christmas.

Yes yes story time. It will be quick...promise.

Wife allowed me to make a deposit at 3dice despite being well over my deposit budget for this month, last month,.........and the prior month :oops:. I won a small amount (5 x deposit amount). While at my parents house visiting I advise my wife I was planning on using the winnings for the new XBox One. I'm busy flipping through the advertisement section of the news paper. My wife suggest it would be nice to just put the winnings back in the bank (rightfully so as I'm over budget). So my mom hears this and ask "what's the Xbox One," as she walks over and looks down at the advertising section.

......Now me being a proud momma's boy I already knew what this meant well before she even walked over. From the moment she even opened her mouth to ask what the Xbox One was. As I point down to what I know will be my new gaming console, I couldn't help but turn to my wife with the evil childish grin
smiley-devil02.gif
on my face.

My mom won't get it for Christmas. I will be left "wondering" :rolleyes: why I haven't gotten it, but I know with my birthday around the corner it will come.

I'm so excited, and I feel my anticipation is higher than it would be if I didn't have any clue of what was coming. My wife says she likes being surprised with gifts and the whole not knowing. Made me wonder if I'm just different are or there others like me who could care less about surprise and prefer to know what's coming?

I realized earlier on in my relationship with my partner that he totally misinterprets everything I say and just because I talk about it a certain way doesnt mean I want it.
Believe it or not there was the one Christmas I got a Chuck Norris Box Set of all the episodes of Walker Texas Ranger plus the Invasion USA DVD all because we were up one night drinking wine and I was going on and on about how I watched so much Chuck Norris growing up.
Then there was the oversize Onesie last Christmas and so this year I've decided we're gonna write a list of 5 things we would like and get one item on the list.
This way I don't end up with a crap gift.

I think it's better not to know - my in laws all give each other lists of stuff they want before christmas, which I find super weird (might as well just go do the shopping yourself!).

On the other hand, I do think it's a good idea to give general hints (eg: stick to booze and food :))

I knew when the sox won the world series that I was getting a world series shirt for my birthday. My family is in Boston and I'm in Tampa so we have fun with the Ray & Sox. I like both teams, but Rays first so they want to rub it in.

Even though I knew, I was still surprised and I liked being surprised. I was home for thanksgiving for the first time in 30 years(I hate cold ;)), and completely forgot it was my birthday so they caught me off guard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back