KENTUCKY DERBY 2006 (May 6, 2006)

Thanks Pina...

Posted by Pina...

Well Mrracetrack....you are a genius. ...
Note that Mrracetrack did pick the second place horse, Storm Treasure. Exactor paid $601, triactor paid $4,400....
So Mrracetrack called the exactor cold...wtg!!

You give me way too much credit... :lolup: But Thank You!!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally... :D

I actually picked Storm Treasure because I like his Jockey, Mark Guidry.
Guidry is an under rated jock, who I think can ride with anyone.
He is another one that has had his share of "personal problems" over the years.. but when he's "right"... he is a damn good rider.

Lawyer Ron was an odds on favorite... no skill needed to pick him... ;)
Steppenwolfer was a "grey horse pick"... as I really do like grey horses... :)

And to be honest... a $13 exacta is not worth "bragging" about... :p
The $600 one would be, tho... :D

Unfortunately for me... I did not bet anything on these races today. :eek:

And Laywer Ron managed to win despite our "kiss of death"... :lolup:

But Thank You for the Kudos... :)

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally...

:lolup:

I actually picked Storm Treasure because I like his Jockey, Mark Guidry.
Guidry is an under rated jock, who I think can ride with anyone.
He is another one that has had his share of "personal problems" over the years.. but when he's "right"... he is a damn good rider.

Absolutely agreed Mrracetrack.....excellent jockey and VERY under rated. See, I knew there were more jockeys that I didn't include in that post. :) Another would be Robby Albarado. And for whatever reasons you chose Storm Treasure, I'd take place and show money like that anyday, lol.

Now don't laugh at this, but many years ago before I really knew a thing about horses (like yeah I know soooooo much now, lol)...I used to bet the stupidest things. Like today's race for example, the top three finishers all had names beginning with the letter "S". I've made bets where I may have taken those three horses and boxed them in an exactor or triactor, lol. Or playing numbers. My favourites were (and still are) 1,3,6 and 4,7,9. Ha ha ha, highly scientific and logical approach to the game. Ironic thing is that I've probably hit just as many BIG payoffs using a stupid approach like that as I have after studying the form for two days. :rolleyes:

And a $13 exactor isn't that bad if it's bet properly. $20 bet gets you back $130...I'll take six times my money anyday, lol. It actually paid more than I thought it would given the fact that Lawyer Ron went off at 2-5? Not that bad a payoff. Still say nice work. :thumbsup:

Graded Earnings

Here's an updated list of Graded Earnings as of April 17, 2006. For anyone not familiar with how they play into it, the maximum number of horses allowed to run in the Derby is 20. So if there are 25 who actually enter or wish to enter, their eligibility is determined by their Graded Earnings. Not to say that the top 20 on this list will all be entered into the race. If five of the top 20 decide not to run, that opens it up for the next five on the list. I have my own ideas as to who should and shouldn't enter off this list, but we'll have to wait until it's actually finalized to know who is in and who is out. Note that Bob Baffert has three, count em three, horses who are all eligible. And I'm pretty sure he'll be sending all three of them, lol.

1 Discreet Cat $1,200,000
2 Brother Derek $1,114,980
3 Lawyer Ron $940,800
4 Barbaro $750,000
5 Bob and John $590,370 (Bob Baffert trained)
6 Sinister Minister $465,000 (Bob Baffert trained)
7 Private Vow $417,888
8 A. P. Warrior $323,185
9 Sweetnorthernsaint $320,000
10 With a City $300,000
11 Sharp Humor $280,000
12 Bluegrass Cat $275,480
13 Steppenwolfer $230,000
14 Keyed Entry $205,000
15 Point Determined $200,000 (Bob Baffert trained)
16 Cause to Believe $192,500
17 Deputy Glitters $163,750
18 Storm Treasure $155,000
19 Jazil $150,000
20 Seaside Retreat $125,807
21 Like Now $120,000
22 Mister Triester $112,000
23 Flashy Bull $109,000
24 Sunriver $100,000
25 Sacred Light $97,300
26 Malameeze $81,080
27 Strong Contender $75,000
28 Sam's Ace $60,000
29 Greeley's Legacy $13,750
30 Hemingway's Key $10,000

DERBY ODDS UPDATE

After this past weekends Derby prep races, we now have quite a few changes from 3 weeks ago when I first posted the odds, along with some horses that have been declared OUT of the Derby.

Previous odds/current odds:

101 First Samurai +1498... OUT
102 Bluegrass Cat +1833... +5000
103 Brother Derek +810... +350
104 Barbaro +1653... +760
105 Achilles of Troy +3019... OUT
106 Private Vow +4065... +2453
107 Keyed Entry +1749... +3195
108 Lawyer Ron +917... +583
109 Bob And John +1819... +908
112 Sweetnorthernsaint +2614... +674
114 Point Determined +2068... +845
116 Strong Contender +1292... +4298
117 Great Point +5000... OUT
118 Music School +10000... OUT
119 A.P. Warrior +1157... +2179
121 Flashy Bull +6000... +9000
122 Itsallboutthechase +10000... OUT
123 My Golden Song +6500... OUT
124 Noonmark +10000... OUT
125 Steppenwolfer +4249... +2132
127 High Cotton +6000... OUT
129 Tatsuji +12500... OUT
134 Really Indian +9000... OUT
136 Dr. Pleasure +10000... OUT
137 Sacred Light +2339... +5000
138 Sunriver +3003... +3800
139 Cause To Believe +2436... OUT
140 Discreet Cat +711... +999
141 Showing Up +2568... +3439
142 Deputy Glitters +5000... OUT
143 Like Now +6000... +7000
144 With a City +2814... OUT
145 Seaside Retreat +4109... OUT
146 Sharp Humor X... 2737
147 Sinister Minister X... 1164

Wow, big changes from three weeks ago!!

So according to the odds the top six are:

1. Brother Derek
2. Lawyer Ron
3. Sweetnorthernsaint :eek2: (they gotta be basing this on his Beyer?)
4. Barbaro
5. Point Determined
6. Bob and John

I pretty much agree with that assessment, all except for putting Sweetnorthernsaint ahead of Barbaro? He beat shit in that race, but he must have gotten the Beyer.

I wish the race would hurry up and get here, lol. I keep changing my mind day to day, and it does no good because until we see post positions, jockeys and track condition, I won't make a final decision.

BTW....it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind!! :D

The current odds on Betfair are

Brother Derek: 4.9
Lawyer Ron: 8
Barbaro: 10
Bob and John: 12.5
Sweetnorthernsaint: 13.5
Point Determined: 19

These are decimal odds, to get American odds, subtract 1 and multiply by 100.

Another Contender... OUT.

Posted on the Godolphin Website:

DISCREET CAT MISSES KENTUCKY DERBY
------------------------------------------

Discreet Cat will not run in next month's Kentucky Derby.
The unbeaten UAE Derby winner will instead be shipped to the US and stabled at Belmont Park where he will be prepared for some of the major races in the second half of the season.

Explaining the decision today, Godolphin's Racing Manager Simon Crisford said: "Discreet Cat is a really promising young horse, but after assessing the situation, Sheikh Mohammed has decided that he would prefer to give him more time.

"We see him as an important horse for Godolphin both later this season and next year. He won't actually be three until May so we want to give him time to develop. Although we have no specific targets in mind for him at the moment, Discreet Cat will not be running in any of the Triple Crown races."

Bought by Godolphin after winning his maiden at Saratoga in August, Discreet Cat won a minor conditions race over a mile at Nad Al Sheba before winning the Group 2 UAE Derby by six lengths.

Some Derby "News & Notes"...

Bob and John, the Wood Memorial winner, and Point Determined, who was second in the Santa Anita Derby, both worked five furlongs in 59.20 seconds at Santa Anita for trainer Bob Baffert. Both are expected to work once more at Santa Anita before leaving for Kentucky.

Lawyer Ron traveled to Louisville on Monday on a flight that also carried Steppenwolfer and Private Vow, the second- and third-place finishers in the Arkansas Derby.

"Lawyer Ron came out of the race great," trainer Bob Holthus said. "I'm not worried about the pace [in the Derby] because I know he's willing to rate if we need him to."

Ron Anderson, agent for Garrett Gomez, who has ridden Bob and John, Point Determined, and Sinister Minister, said his choice in the Derby is Bob and John, and that he is excited about the colt's chances.

mrracetrack said:
Bob and John, the Wood Memorial winner, and Point Determined, who was second in the Santa Anita Derby, both worked five furlongs in 59.20 seconds at Santa Anita for trainer Bob Baffert. Both are expected to work once more at Santa Anita before leaving for Kentucky.

Very nice works MrR!!

mrracetrack said:
Lawyer Ron traveled to Louisville on Monday on a flight that also carried Steppenwolfer and Private Vow, the second- and third-place finishers in the Arkansas Derby.

"Lawyer Ron came out of the race great," trainer Bob Holthus said. "I'm not worried about the pace [in the Derby] because I know he's willing to rate if we need him to."

Glad to see they shipped him early which gives him more than ample time to recover from the flight and to get acclimated to the track and surroundings. He should also be able to get in a couple of decent works over the Churchill strip, which is what I'm waiting to see. I hope they get him working on the main track, and not the training track. :thumbsup:

mrracetrack said:
Ron Anderson, agent for Garrett Gomez, who has ridden Bob and John, Point Determined, and Sinister Minister, said his choice in the Derby is Bob and John, and that he is excited about the colt's chances.

I never thought he'd choose Sinister Minister, but wasn't sure which one between Bob and John and Point Determined he would decide on. That tells me alot, although alot of jockeys can tell you many tales of woe about picking the wrong horse for a big race. Jerry Bailey actually said he chose incorrectly more often than not. I am liking Bob and John an awful lot though, this is going to be such a hard decision.

I am not sorry to see Discreet Cat not being entered. I hate when people think just because they have endless amounts of money available they can buy a Derby win. What alot of people don't realize is that for real "horse people", winning the Kentucky Derby is not about money, it's a lifelong dream they work their whole lives to achieve. So sayonara to Discreet Cat. :D

This Is Sad

Kentucky Derby 132 Hopeful With A City Dies After Battle With Unknown Illness

By: John Asher

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (April 23, 2006) - A mystery illness has claimed the life of Equirace.com's With a City, winner of the $500,000 Lane's End (Grade II) at Turfway Park and a contender for the 132nd Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (GI) on May 6 at Churchill Downs.

Trainer Mike Maker said the son of City Zip, who was stabled at Churchill Downs' Trackside training center, fell ill on Thursday with an unknown ailment and quickly deteriorated. The colt was taken to the Hagyard Equine Medical Institute in Lexington, Ky. on Friday, but With a City's condition continued to worsen and the decision to euthanize the colt was made on Sunday morning.

Maker said it is possible that the illness that ultimately claimed With a City's life may never be identified. "They treated him for everything and ran tests on everything," said Maker. "They just don't know at this time. Hopefully, a necropsy will tell us more, but their feeling right now is that they're not so sure that they're going to be able to tell."

With a City would have been the first Kentucky Derby starter for Maker, a former assistant to Hall of Fame trainer and four-time Kentucky Derby winner D. Wayne Lukas. The colt's sudden passing is a crushing disappointment to the trainer and Equirace.com owner Ron Peltz, who was also looking toward his first "Run for the Roses."

"We're just thankful that we had the opportunity while we had it," Maker said. "Hopefully we'll get another one down the road, either from Mr. Peltz or from somebody else."

With a City posted one of the more stunning upsets along the road to Kentucky Derby 132 when he won the Lane's End on Turfway Park's Polytrack surface at odds of 49-1 on March 25. He followed that race with a troubled outing in the Arkansas Derby (GII) at Oaklawn Park. He got off to a poor start in that race and finished last in the field of 13, beaten 51 -lengths by Lawyer Ron.

Maker said With a City had trained well since his return to Arkansas and the plan was to run the colt in the Kentucky Derby - but that plan quickly changed on Thursday.

"He was absolutely a picture of health one minute and gone the next," Maker said.

With a City launched his racing career at Florida's Calder Race Course and raced for a $40,000 claiming tag five times in 10 races as a 2-year-old for trainer Jose Mendez. He was purchased privately by Peltz earlier this year for a reported $150,000 and turned over to Maker. He ran eighth in the John Battaglia Memorial in his first start for his new barn, but then notched his shocking upset victory in the Lane's End that put him on the list of contenders for the Kentucky Derby.

The Florida-bred colt had a career record of 4-0-2 in 13 races and earnings of $359,680.

More on With A City

This sounds very bizarre. Good thing I'm not a conspiracy theorist, or I'd be thinking someone poisoned this horse. This is the part of the horse racing game that I hate.

Search Continues For Ailment That Took The Life Of Derby Contender

By: John Asher

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (April 23, 2006) - While veterinarians at a Central Kentucky equine clinic continue their search for the disease that felled Kentucky Derby (Grade I) contender With a City, his owner and trainer said colt's sudden death is another example of "lowest lows" that often accompany the thrills of Thoroughbred racing.

The 3-year-old winner of the $500,000 Lane's End Stakes (GII) at Turfway Park was humanely euthanized Sunday morning at Hagyard Equine Medical Institute in Lexington, Ky. after nearly three days of unsuccessful treatment for an unidentified illness that struck the colt suddenly on Thursday afternoon. Trainer Mike Maker said Hagyard staff is continuing its effort to identify the illness that attacked With a City and hoped to have more definitive information within a week or so.

Maker said With a City was fine until mid-afternoon Thursday, when the colt began to display symptoms of diarrhea, which can become a serious problem for a horse. He sent With a City to the Lexington clinic to treatment, but the colt subsequently started to suffer from seizures as his condition rapidly worsened. Maker said the colt was "beating himself up," although he had been sedated by veterinarians.

"I've been on the racetrack my whole life, and the veterinarians had quite a bit of experience and they've never seen nothing like it," said Maker. "They think maybe he had some kind of swelling of the brain, or something in the brain that was causing him to do what he was doing. But any kind of illness that we deal with on a day-to-day basis - the (Equine) herpes, the strangles, or West Nile (Virus) or something - they've ruled all that out."

Maker said that none of his other horses in Barn K at Churchill Downs' Trackside Louisville training center had displayed similar symptoms and all appear to be healthy.

Owner Ron Peltz, a Birmingham, Ala. businessman and Thoroughbred owner who operates under the stable name of Equirace.com, said he purchased With a City in February with the hope that the colt would take him to the Kentucky Derby. The Florida-bred son of City Zip had earned a spot in the Derby starting gate with an upset victory in the $500,000 Lane's End Stakes (GII) at Turfway Park on March 25, and Peltz said his Derby dream was on the verge of becoming reality until the whirlwind events of the past four days started to unfold.

"We kept calling for updates and finally, on Friday, we found out it was much more serious than we thought," he said. "I drove up here from Birmingham and got here about midnight. Mike and I went over to see the horse and we knew then there was no Derby, for sure, and much, much worse. We could see at that point that he wasn't doing well at all."

Despite the crushing disappointment over the mystery ailment that claimed the life of his first Kentucky Derby contender, Peltz said his dream of winning the famed "Run for the Roses" remained very much alive.

"That's been my whole goal since 1985 when I started - to get here," said Peltz. "It's my dream to be here and to perform, and eventually win it. With Mike, I'll be back."

"A month ago, we were on the highest high - and today we're on the lowest low," said Maker. "That's horse racing and we'll deal with it and be fine, and hopefully we'll be back. Obviously it's not good to lose the best horse in your barn, but hopefully there'll be other opportunities and other horses that will bring us here."

Peltz said he had purchased With a City specifically to run over Turfway Park's new Polytrack surface in the Lane's End and, if all went well, to earn a shot at the Kentucky Derby.

"March 25th - you talk about the lows and the highs - that was our high, when we won the Lane's End," said Peltz. "Then there's days like this. That was the plan and the plan worked beautifully - and along the way we realized we had a lot better horse than what we had originally anticipated. We had aspirations of doing well in the Derby."

Although the horse had only been in Maker's care since February, With a City had also displayed a personality that made him special to those who worked around him.

"He was one of the most laid-back horses in the world," said Peltz. "He was just different - he exuded class."

"He was a very gifted horse and you could see that early in the morning," Maker said. "I think his downfall was that he needed his trip. He didn't like stuff thrown in his face and that's why I think you see such a spotty form that you see, from good to bad. But, other than that, the horse was the kindest horse to be around and classy in every way. He was just a class act. Whether he performed well in the Derby or not, or he won the Lane's End or not, you can walk through this backside and, if you wanted to be around a horse, you could come back to him. He had a great presence about him."

The Coolmore Lexington/Other Stuff

The final prep race that means anything was run yesterday, the Coolmore Lexington. A horse named Showing Up won it by about a length. It wasn't an easy win, but it was fairly impressive. He didn't have the easiest trip, he was stuck down along the inside for a good portion of the race, and then had to be taken out for the stretch run. Have a look MrR, let me know what you think. Maybe not a Derby winner, but the running style certainly fits in the Derby. I know when we talked about it, I had thought maybe they wouldn't send him, but after watching the replay, I think he deserves a shot. He's certainly as good as some that are going to be there. Of course, that's dependent on how he comes out of the race. The trainer mentioned that he's not a big, robust horse and with only two weeks between his race yesterday and the Derby, that may not be a long enough time for him to recuperate. Here's the link to the replay.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

The undefeated Barbaro, who is 5 for 5 in his short career worked Sunday morning at Keeneland. He went 5 furlongs in 1:01.4, not sure if that was breezing or handily. He was third fastest of eight going the distance. He will be shipped to Churchill on Thursday.

John Velazquez suffered chest injuries in a spill at Keeneland on Thursday and was treated in hospital overnight. They're not sure at this point if he may require surgery (that doesn't sound good). The way it looks right now, he will probably miss the Derby which leaves yet another trainer scrambling for a replacement jockey. John Velazquez rides for Todd Pletcher, who has two probable Derby contenders in Bluegrass Cat and Keyed Entry. This makes the jockey situation even more critical.

And something that made me chuckle. Steve Fugitte lists his top 10 Derby choices on the Kentucky Derby website. His #10 choice is Sinister Minister. What's comical is his comment regarding the horse..."Brilliant speedster will make them pay." Hee hee. Sure hope you're right Steve, and I bet Bob Baffert does too. Wouldn't that just set it up perfect for his other two horses, Point Determined and Bob and John?

Pina posted:

The final prep race that means anything was run yesterday, the Coolmore Lexington. A horse named Showing Up won it by about a length. It wasn't an easy win, but it was fairly impressive. He didn't have the easiest trip, he was stuck down along the inside for a good portion of the race, and then had to be taken out for the stretch run. Have a look MrR, let me know what you think.

I watched the replay 3 times (thanks for providing the link again, Pina :) )
and while it certainly was an impressive win by Showing Up, especially the move from the rail to the far outside into the stretch, I was more impressed with the effort on Like Now.

Like Now was pressured every step of the race, put away all challenges other than Showing Up, and was actually coming on again close to the wire!

Like Now, who was on the graded stakes earnings bubble, was also assured of a spot in the Derby with his $65,000 paycheck, but unfortunately, he probably will not race in the Derby, and it is still questionable if Showing Up will, either.

Here is what Like Now's trainer had to say:

"Unfortunately he got into a bit of a speed duel with [Fast Parade]. Take [Fast Parade] out and I think we could have won. But he ran a huge race and fought hard. We'll talk to the owner [John Dillon], but I think we'll probably look at the Preakness [Stakes (G1)]. It's a little easier spot. He's a gelding, and we want to have some fun with him this year. The Derby is a little too soon to run back."

As for Showing Up... his trainer had this to say:

Competing in the Derby will require some thought on the part of both the Jacksons and trainer Barclay Tagg, who noted that Showing Up is not a big, robust horse.

"He has to be in tip-top condition," said Tagg, who conditioned Funny Cide to wins in the 2003 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes (G1). "I'm not going to put him into a tough race. Probably good judgment and good sense would say not to run, but there is only one Kentucky Derby and he's done everything we've asked of him, so you think you have to give him a chance."

Derby "News & Notes"...

DERBY NEWS & NOTES...

Hollendorfer confirms Cause to Believe for Kentucky Derby

Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer confirmed on Saturday that El Camino Real (G3) winner Cause to Believe will be entered for the $2-million Kentucky Derby (G1) on May 6, providing he acclimates well at Churchill Downs.

The Maria's Mon colt, a five-time stakes winner who was a late nominee to the Triple Crown, will be flown to Louisville on Tuesday.

"It came down to the way the race is shaping up, as far as a determining factor," Hollendorfer said. "There's a lot of speed in this race, which should help his style. The horse is very sound but if he's not training well and doesn't seem to like the track, we won't go. But we wanted to go back so we'll be in position to run if everything goes well."

Cause to Believe worked six furlongs in a handy 1:12.55 on Saturday morning at Golden Gate Fields.

Owned by Peter Redekop and Peter Abruzzo, Cause to Believe has won six of ten career starts, including the El Camino Real Derby on January 9 where he defeated A.P. Warrior, and the California Derby over subsequent Blue Grass Stakes (G1) victor Sinister Minister. He was a well-beaten third, however, in the Illinois Derby (G2) on April 8 in his most recent start.Jerry Klein

Hollendorfer's only previous Derby starter, Eye of the Tiger, finished fifth to Funny Cide in 2003.

Pletcher to use Gomez as Velazquez recovers from injury

Trainer Todd Pletcher has named Garrett Gomez to ride Ashland Stakes (G1) runner-up Wait a While in the Kentucky Oaks (G1) and will use the jockey as his "first call" rider on other mounts until Eclipse Award winner John Velazquez recovers from injuries suffered in a Thursday spill at Keeneland Race Course.

Velazquez was released on Friday from the University of Kentucky's Chandler Medical Center in Lexington, where he was taken after Up an Octave collapsed and rolled onto him after finishing first in the $110,600 Forerunner Stakes.

Derby Contender Workouts/Exercise Gallops

Several Derby Hopefuls Turn In Works

Asmussen Duo At Churchill; Others On West Coast

A.P. WARRIOR - Stan Fulton's A.P. Warrior worked seven furlongs in 1:27.40 in company over a track labeled "fast" Monday morning at Hollywood Park as he continued his preparations for the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands. Jockey Corey Nakatani, who will ride the son of A.P. Indy in the Derby, was aboard for the move. Trainer John Shirreffs, who trained 2005 Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo, expressed satisfaction with the move and said A.P. Warrior likely would work again on Sunday. The colt is schedule to ship to Louisville on Tuesday, May 2.

BARBARO - Lael Stables' Barbaro, the unbeaten winner of the Florida Derby (GI), was reported to be "doing great" by trainer Michael Matz the morning after a five-furlong breeze in 1:01.40 at Keeneland. The son of Dynaformer is scheduled to ship to Churchill Downs on Thursday.

BLUEGRASS CAT/KEYED ENTRY - Two of trainer Todd Pletcher's Kentucky Derby trio - Starlight Stable, Saylor and Lucarelli's Keyed Entry and Aaron and Marie Jones' Sunriver - walked in the shedrow on the day after pre-Kentucky Derby workouts on Sunday.

Pletcher said both colts came out of the works well and remain on target for the Kentucky Derby on May 6. WinStar Farm's Bluegrass Cat, winner of the Remsen (GII), galloped 1 -miles under exercise rider Luis Castillo. The son of Storm Cat is scheduled to work on Sunday, April 30.

BOB AND JOHN/SINISTER MINISTER/POINT DETERMINED - Two of trainer Bob Baffert's Kentucky Derby hopefuls - Wood Memorial (GI) winner Bob and John and Santa Anita Derby (GI) runner-up Point Determined - put in seven-furlong works Monday morning at Santa Anita.

Point Determined, owned by the Robert and Beverly Lewis Trust, was clocked in 1:24.80 and Stonerside Stable's Bob and John covered the distance in 1:25.

"They both went fine," Baffert said. "Victor Espinoza was on Point Determined and he worked in company. Garrett Gomez was on Bob and John and he worked by himself."

Baffert did not disclose when he was shipping the duo to Churchill Downs. Baffert's third prospect, Toyota Blue Grass (Grade I) winner Sinister Minister arrived at Churchill Downs from Keeneland Monday afternoon.

BROTHER DEREK - Cecil Peacock's Brother Derek turned in his final California work for Derby 132 by working seven furlongs in 1:28.40 Monday morning over a "fast" track at Santa Anita under Derby rider Alex Solis.

Working in company with stablemate Littlebitofzip, Brother Derek was clocked in fractions of :28.40, :52.20, 1:03.80 and 1:16.40.

"The work was fine. He broke off nice and easy and then picked it up and cruised on home," trainer Dan Hendricks said. "Alex was happy with the work. He never looks like he is doing anything because he does it so easy."

Hendricks called an audible on his travel plans for Brother Derek and will now ship to Louisville on Thursday, April 27 rather than Tuesday.

"This is a new option that was presented to me and it gives him two more days here at home," Hendricks said.

CAUSE TO BELIEVE - Peter Redekop and Peter Abruzzo's Cause to Believe completed the California segment of his Kentucky Derby training by galloping 1 -miles at Bay Meadows with exercise rider Daron Long up. Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer said the son of Maria's Mon was scheduled to leave at 6:30 (PDT) Tuesday morning for the flight to Louisville. Hall of Fame rider Russell Baze will have the Derby mount.

DEPUTY GLITTERS - On another wet morning at Belmont Park, Deputy Glitters galloped a mile and a quarter under exercise rider Simon Harris. Owned by Joseph Lacombe Stable Inc., Deputy Glitters is scheduled to work Wednesday or Thursday before he ships to Louisville on Thursday. Deputy Glitters would mark the first Derby starter for trainer Tom Albertrani, who was here from 1999-2002 as an assistant to Dubai-based Godolphin's Saeed bin Suroor.

FLASHY BULL/JAZIL - Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin reported from Keeneland that West Point Thoroughbreds LLC's Flashy Bull came out of his Sunday work in good order and walked Monday morning. The Holy Bull colt had worked a half-mile in :50.40 over the Polytrack training surface at Keeneland. No riding assignment has been confirmed for Flashy Bull for the Derby.

Shadwell Stable's Jazil trotted 1 -miles under Simon Harris over a wet track Monday morning at Belmont Park. Fernando Jara has the riding assignment on Jazil.

LAWYER RON - The Estate of James Hines Jr.'s Lawyer Ron galloped two miles just before the renovation break under exercise rider Betsy Couch.

"He will do this every day until he works," Couch said of the son of Langfuhr, who is scheduled to work Saturday.

Trainer Robert Holthus, who has saddled horses in the past two Run for the Roses, is scheduled to return to Louisville on Thursday from sales in Ocala, Fla. John McKee, who rode Pro Prado in 2004 and Greater Good in 2005 for Holthus, has the riding assignment on Lawyer Ron.

PRIVATE VOW/STORM TREASURE - Mike McCarty's Kentucky Derby hopefuls Private Vow and Storm Treasure worked a sharp five furlongs in company on Monday at Churchill Downs.

The Steve Asmussen-trained duo hit the wire together in 1:00.20 over a "track" and galloped out six furlongs in 1:13.30. The time tied as the fastest of 43 at the distance. Two other horses had the same five-furlong clocking, and one was Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC's Summerly, Asmussen's 2005 Kentucky Oaks (GI) winner who is working toward her 4-year-old debut.

Jockey Shaun Bridgmohan was aboard Private Vow, the winner of the Belmont Futurity (GI) and Kentucky Jockey Club (GII) and third in the Arkansas Derby (GII), and will also ride the son of Broken Vow in the Kentucky Derby. Exercise rider Carmen Rosas was aboard Storm Treasure, the runner-up in the Toyota Blue Grass (GII).

Asmussen said he wanted a strong work for both horses in their next-to-last serious moves before the May 6 Kentucky Derby and the pair had worked in company at times during the winter at Florida's Palm Meadows training center. "Storm Treasure is an extremely laid-back horse and will do anything you want," said Asmussen. "He's always been very good company for Private Vow."

The effort by Private Vow, who will be making only his third start since November in the Derby, was especially pleasing to Asmussen. The colt had finished a well-beaten seventh in his first start in the Rebel (GIII) at Oaklawn before rebounding with his third-place finish behind Lawyer Ron in the Arkansas Derby.

"I was excited about how he went today," Asmussen said. "The Rebel was very disappointing to me. I knew he needed more in him, but I thought he would still make a better showing than that. He did move forward in the Arkansas Derby, which gave us a lot of hope. And he has not worked this good all year as he did today. So, is he good enough? Can he go far enough? Those are huge questions - but he sure made me think positive today."

Asmussen told both his riders that he wanted strong gallop-outs following the five- furlong works.

"Going a mile and quarter (in the Derby), I just wanted them to stay steady and not let them back up underneath themselves," he said. "Private Vow's been known to basically slide-stop galloping out, almost. He's never been big on that. I told Shaun to keep him up underneath him. The other horse has shown that he's kind of a stayer all along. I think that's why, for this work, he was very good company for Private Vow. Speed isn't something that I'm looking for from (Private Vow), he's always had that. I just want him to stay steadier. With what they did today, I'll probably separate them next week."

Asmussen said he would not begin a serious search for a rider for Storm Treasure until he sees that both colts have come out of Monday's work in good shape. The nation's leader in wins in three of the last four years, Asmussen leads the victory category again this year. But the 40-year-old Texan has yet to taste success in the famed "Run for the Roses." "It's the most important race in the world to me," said Asmussen. "As far as professionally, I'd think that it'd be the one race that you'd want to win above all others."

SACRED LIGHT - Amerman Racing Stables LLC's Sacred Light stood in the gate at Hollywood Park and then galloped a mile and half under exercise rider Martin DeRubin. Trainer David Hofmans has slated a seven-furlong work for Wednesday morning at Hollywood Park and Kentucky Derby rider Aaron Gryder is expected to be aboard for the move. Sacred Light is scheduled to ship to Louisville on Saturday.

SEASIDE RETREAT - William S. Farish Jr.'s Seaside Retreat galloped 1 -miles before the renovation break at Churchill Downs with exercise rider Jose Castanon up. Trained by Mark Casse, Seaside Retreat is scheduled to work Thursday morning. Patrick Husbands has the riding assignment for Derby 132.

SHARP HUMOR - Purdedel Stable's Sharp Humor galloped a mile and three-quarters after the renovation break under exercise rider Faustino Orantes.

"He was on the muscle this morning," trainer Dale Romans said. "He is training about as well as any horse that I have brought into a race."

Mark Guidry has the riding assignment in the Derby and is scheduled to be aboard the Distorted Humor colt for a Saturday work.

SHOWING UP - Lael Stables' Showing Up arrived at trainer Barclay Tagg's barn at Belmont Park at 3:30 Monday morning after shipping from Keeneland where he won Sunday's Grade II Coolmore Lexington Stakes.

STEPPENWOLFER - Trainer Dan Peitz was on the scene Monday morning after driving in from New York on Sunday.

"The first 300 miles was nothing but rain, but after that the trip was fine," Peitz said.

With exercise rider Jody Pieper up, Steppenwolfer galloped 1 -miles before the renovation break. Owned by Robert and Lawana Low, Steppenwolfer is scheduled to breeze six furlongs Saturday and Peitz said that Derby rider Robby Albarado would likely be up for that work.

"That will be his only work before the Derby," said Peitz, who added he would be monitoring the weather for the weekend. "If the track is muddy, that won't be a problem. I just don't want him out there if there is thunder and lightning."

SWEETNORTHERNSAINT - Joseph Balsamo and Ted Theos' Sweetnorthernsaint galloped 1 -miles at Laurel Park under exercise rider Ernesto Ferdinand.

Trainer Michael Trombetta said the colt would have a light gallop in the morning with a scheduled departure by van at 9:30 (EDT) for the trip to Churchill Downs. Two-time Kentucky Derby winning rider Kent Desormeaux has the mount.

Hey MrR, check out those works on Bob and John and Point Determined. ;) And look who took time out of his day to ride Point Determined. Gotta like that.

One other note, check out the highlighted paragraph under Lawyer Ron. I'm telling you, I think he may be one of those freak horses who just can't work or run enough. 14 races under his belt, and he's galloping out two miles a day, every day? Let's see what his next actual work is, I can't wait, lol.

BTW, I got the videotape today of the 1996 Breeder's Cup at Woodbine. Thank you!!! You're faster than Fed Ex, and I didn't even have to pay $54, lol. :D

Some interesting background...

Interesting "notes" on some of the Derby Contenders:

SINISTER MINISTER...In his second career start, Sinister Minister was entered for a claiming price of $62,500 by trainer Rafael Becerra at Santa Anita Park. The colt won the race by eight lengths, but there were no claims. The performance impressed trainer Bob Baffert so much that within two days after that race he had negotiated the purchase for the current owners. Best estimates place the purchase price at approximately $300,000.

STEPPENWOLFER: Trainer Daniel Peitz on Steppenwolfer:
"He's named after the rock band. We're not born to be wild, we just want him to take us on a magic carpet ride, and if we make it to Kentucky, then so be it."

SWEETNORTHERNSAINT: A bit of history that all concerned would just as soon forget came in Sweetnorthernsaint's second start, a maiden claiming event on December 21 at Laurel Park. The gelding finished first by 16 lengths, only to be disqualified to fourth for bearing in on horses at the start. In retrospect, however, the good news is that no one thought he was worth the $40,000 claiming price, his only race for a tag. He has won both starts following the disqualification.

BARBARO: Gretchen Jackson said she and her husband named Barbaro after a foxhound on a painting that they own.

"It goes back to the 1880s," she said. "It's an old ink etching. It's a picture of six heads of foxhounds and under each hound is that particular hound's name. We just started at the right-hand side and that was Barbaro. Naming horses with the Jockey Club can be difficult, but this one sailed right through."

mrracetrack said:

STEPPENWOLFER: Trainer Daniel Peitz on Steppenwolfer:
"He's named after the rock band. We're not born to be wild, we just want him to take us on a magic carpet ride, and if we make it to Kentucky, then so be it."

Great name for a horse, and I like their attitude, lol. I actually read somewhere that they really wanted to name him just Steppenwolf, but the Jockey Club said no, so they added the "er", and that went through okay.

Derby Update

Bullet work launches Seaside Retreat into Kentucky Derby field

William S. Farish Jr.'s Seaside Retreat drilled five furlongs in :59.40 on Thursday morning at Churchill Downs, a move impressive enough to earn the King Cugat colt a spot in the Kentucky Derby (G1).

The work, with top Canadian jockey Patrick Husbands aboard, was the fastest of 22 at the distance over a fast track.

"We talked last night and Patrick said, `If he doesn't work good, I'm going to tell you,'" trainer Mark Casse said. "I said,`Absolutely; tell me what you feel.' He phoned me from the horse and said 'We are going to the Derby, boss.' He was really impressed.

"He was worried because when he went out there he thought it was a little bit on the deep side, but he said he gets to the bottom of it. I told him he would like this track."

Seaside Retreat was sixth in the Toyota Blue Grass (GI) in his most recent start, but was runner-up in the $500,000 Lane's End (GII) on Turfway Park's Polytrack surface before that.

Saturday April 29th Update:

Busy morning for Kentucky Derby hopefuls at Churchill Downs

A dozen Kentucky Derby (G1) candidates had their final serious workouts for the May 6 classic during an extremely busy morning on Saturday at Churchill Downs.

Florida Derby (G1) winner Barbaro and Illinois Derby (G2) winner Sweetnorthernsaint recorded bullet workouts going a half-mile and six furlongs, respectively. Barbaro worked in :46 for trainer Michael Matz and Sweetnorthernsaint went in 1:11.60 for trainer Michael Trombetta.

The workouts (Horse, time, rank):

Four furlongs

Barbaro :46.00 1/69

Bluegrass Cat :50.80 53/69

Five furlongs

Cause to Believe 1:00.80 18/48

Flashy Bull 1:00.40 8/48

Jazil 1:00.40 8/48

Lawyer Ron :58.80 1/48

Sharp Humor :59.00 2/48

Sinister Minister 1.00.20 7/48

Six furlongs

Sweetsouthernsaint 1:11.60 1/11

Keyed Entry 1:12.80 3/11

Steppenwolfer 1:13.00 4/11

Sunriver 1:13.60 5/11

Sweetnorthernsaint sizzles in work without Desormeaux

Sweetnorthernsaint followed his dominant Illinois Derby (G2) win with a sharp workout on Saturday in his final major preparation for the Kentucky Derby (G1) on May 6.

The Sweetsouthernsaint gelding worked a bullet six furlongs in 1:11.60 under jockey Calvin Borel, filling in for jockey Kent Desormeaux who did not show up as scheduled for the workout. Jockey agent Jim Pegram said Desormeaux overslept.

"His hotel didn't give him his wakeup call," Pegram said.

Trainer Michael Trombetta said Desormeaux would still have the mount in the Derby.

Sinister Minister back to work after Blue Grass romp

Baffert was less than ecstatic about Sinister Minister, who worked five furlongs in 1:00.20 under jockey Garrett Gomez.

"It was a good work," Baffert said. "It wasn't a 'wow' work, but it was good. I watched Lawyer Ron and he was ginning down through there. Sharp Humor was smoking through there."

Baffert said Sinister Minister was pretty tired for a few days after his 12-length win in the Blue Grass on April 15.

"He was blowing a little bit [on Saturday] because we backed off on him a little after the Blue Grass," Baffert said. "He was pulling a little and then Garrett got him to relax a little and then we had to pick it up again."

Baffert planned to return to Southern California on Saturday to oversee Bob and John and Point Determined in their final preparations for the Derby. The duo will ship to Churchill on Tuesday.

Lawyer Ron relaxes in five-furlong breeze

For those who did not see the Oaklawn Park race, Lawyer Ron raced fourth through the opening quarter before tugging jockey John McKee to the front with an inside move. Lawyer Ron lead by a length through a half in :46.69, and his lead only grew in the 1 1/8-mile contest.

But Holthus knows that behavior could spoil Lawyer Ron's chances to win the Kentucky Derby, so he used the final work before the big race to get the Langfuhr colt to relax.

Lawyer Ron did as McKee asked with a five-furlong breeze Saturday morning in :59.

"I just sat on him, and he was completely relaxed," McKee said after Lawyer Ron galloped out six furlongs in 1:11. "He was a lot more professional."

mrracetrack said:

Lawyer Ron relaxes in five-furlong breeze

For those who did not see the Oaklawn Park race, Lawyer Ron raced fourth through the opening quarter before tugging jockey John McKee to the front with an inside move. Lawyer Ron lead by a length through a half in :46.69, and his lead only grew in the 1 1/8-mile contest.

But Holthus knows that behavior could spoil Lawyer Ron's chances to win the Kentucky Derby, so he used the final work before the big race to get the Langfuhr colt to relax.

Lawyer Ron did as McKee asked with a five-furlong breeze Saturday morning in :59.

"I just sat on him, and he was completely relaxed," McKee said after Lawyer Ron galloped out six furlongs in 1:11. "He was a lot more professional."

Loving that workout, 5F in :59 breezing? Superb. :D

Nice work on Barbaro as well. Thanks MrR!! :)

The KENTUCKY DERBY field is set!

KENTUCKY DERBY 132 FIELD

Purse: $2,000,000 added - 1 1/4 miles

Post/ Horse/ Jockey/ Trainer/ M/L Odds

1 Jazil Fernando Jara Kiaran McLaughlin 30-1
2 Steppenwolfer Robby Albarado Danny Peitz 30-1
3 Keyed Entry Pat Valenzuela Todd Pletcher 30-1
4 Sinister Minister Victor Espinoza Bob Baffert 12-1
5 Point Determined Rafael Bejarano Bob Baffert 12-1
6 Showing Up Cornelio Velasquez Barclay Tagg 20-1
7 Bob and John Garrett Gomez Bob Baffert 12-1
8 Barbaro Edgar Prado Michael Matz 4-1
9 Sharp Humor Mark Guidry Dale Romans 20-1
10 A.P. Warrior Corey Nakatani John Shirreffs 15-1
11 Sweetnorthernsaint Kent Desormeaux Michael Trombetta 10-1
12 Private Vow Shaun Bridgmohan Steve Asmussen 50-1
13 Bluegrass Cat Ramon Dominguez Todd Pletcher 30-1
14 Deputy Glitters Jose Lezcano Tom Albertrani 50-1
15 Seaside Retreat Patrick Husbands Mark Casse 50-1
16 Cause to Believe Russell Baze Jerry Hollendorfer 50-1
17 Lawyer Ron John McKee Robert Holthus 4-1
18 Brother Derek Alex Solis Dan Hendricks 3-1
19 Storm Treasure David Flores Steve Asmussen 50-1
20 Flashy Bull Mike Smith Kiaran McGlaughlin 50-1

Possible sale of LAWYER RON...

Sale of Lawyer Ron being negotiated

A deal to sell part or all of Arkansas Derby (G2) winner Lawyer Ron is being negotiated, but Ron Bamberger, the executor of the estate of owner/breeder James T. Hines Jr., said nothing has been finalized.

Bamberger added that regardless of any sale, Lawyer Ron would race in the Kentucky Derby (G1) under Hines's name and silks.

"There is a deal being negotiated, but there is no deal that has been made, and there is no way of knowing right now if any of the deals will go through," Bamberger said while speaking from trainer Bob Holthus's barn Wednesday morning at Churchill Downs.

Bamberger declined to identify the interested parties.

Lawyer Ron has won seven of 14 starts and earned $1,220,008. Bamberger, the attorney for whom the Langfuhr colt is named after, said he remains focused on maximizing the value of Hines's estate. Along those lines, he admitted that running Lawyer Ron on Saturday without a deal in place would be a gamble on his performance.

"There is no question there is a gamble involved," Bamberger said. "If he does not do well and has a fair shot in the race, I think it would lessen his value."

Bamberger said no one in the Hines family wants to sell Lawyer Ron, a winner of six straight races and undefeated in seven starts on dirt tracks, but they have agreed to go along with whatever he decides.

"This is a business decision, and I can't let emotion play a part," Bamberger said. "I did business with Jim Hines for 33 years, and I guarantee you he never let emotions enter his business decisions, and neither will I."

Hines died in a drowning accident on February 21 in his indoor pool in Owensboro, Kentucky. He was 69 years old. Bamberger said that if Hines can influence the Derby from beyond the grave, he will.

"I guarantee you if Jim is able to trade anything for a victory Saturday, he will," Bamberger said. "He was such a businessman and such a trader, he'll put something together."

My Kentucky Derby Selections...

** My Kentucky Derby Picks **

My 2 Top Choices are:

Sweetnorthernsaint
Bob and John

My wagering strategy for this race...

Sweetnorthernsaint... boxed in $1.00 exactas with:

Cause to Believe
Steppenwolfer
Lawyer Ron
Bob and John
Point Determined
(investment of $10.00)

Bob and John... boxed in $1.00 exactas with:

Cause to Believe
Steppenwolfer
Lawyer Ron
Point Determined
(investment of $8.00)

A $1.00 4 horse exacta box:

Cause to Believe
Steppenwolfer
Lawyer Ron
Point Determined
(investment of $12.00)

TOTAL INVESTMENT... $30.00

I am settling on my picks now.

1. Sinister Minister because his Beyer figure sticks out, and I can't pass that up at a good price. They say there is too much early speed for him to last, but at least I will be in it to the second turn.

2. Lawyer Ron because he just keeps doing what is asked of him and I got hooked on him after the Rebel.

3. Barbaro because he keeps winning on all surfaces and he was in Florida.

4. AP Warrior - I guess because he surprised me so much in the San Felipe and he should be a price.

When it comes down to it I think I will drop one of the short odds horses and take Showing Up to come storming home, also at a price.

The biggest disappointment for me this year has been Bluegrass Grass.

By the way, this has been a great thread. Thanks for all the updates and analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back