Horse Racing & Tips Thread

Decided over the rest of this month going to just concentrate on my main selection, and sticking £20 win or £10 EW on them, the exception might be a day when there are a lot of decent EW horses, and if I'm going to be at home watching the racing, will probably put a small EW L15 on them for an interest. If I had put the £50 on my selection yesterday instead of having the extra bets I would have been £225 up rather than about a fiver.

1.15R Citron Major. I'm always wary about backing horses that seem to have poor form, then win, as rarely do they seem to repeat that winning run straight away. However, he was wearing a first time Visor last time, which he keeps on today, won his last race easily, which was a lot better than today, he has a good draw and is over the same course and distance. I'm stumped as to the drift in the betting, I can't see anything else in the race with any significant money, and I thought the 3/1 available last night was a decent price. He's now 11/2 in most places and I certainly wouldn't want to be laying him at that price. The drift does temper confidence a little but would kick myself if I didn't back him at that price and he wins, so doing a £20 win on him. I think Bosipop is the threat, and again, certainly wouldn't be laying 8/1 about that one.

Do you not lose the BOG by betting the night before Col?

Decided over the rest of this month going to just concentrate on my main selection, and sticking £20 win or £10 EW on them, the exception might be a day when there are a lot of decent EW horses, and if I'm going to be at home watching the racing, will probably put a small EW L15 on them for an interest. If I had put the £50 on my selection yesterday instead of having the extra bets I would have been £225 up rather than about a fiver.

1.15R Citron Major. I'm always wary about backing horses that seem to have poor form, then win, as rarely do they seem to repeat that winning run straight away. However, he was wearing a first time Visor last time, which he keeps on today, won his last race easily, which was a lot better than today, he has a good draw and is over the same course and distance. I'm stumped as to the drift in the betting, I can't see anything else in the race with any significant money, and I thought the 3/1 available last night was a decent price. He's now 11/2 in most places and I certainly wouldn't want to be laying him at that price. The drift does temper confidence a little but would kick myself if I didn't back him at that price and he wins, so doing a £20 win on him. I think Bosipop is the threat, and again, certainly wouldn't be laying 8/1 about that one.

Do you not lose the BOG by betting the night before Col?
I've taken the same attitude as you Col with my betting. I've been placing way too many bets when I'm not even in a position to watch the races. I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch much this afternoon cos I'm oot. And I've done very well recently so nows the time to reel it in. Shame the slots have not been so kind :( good luck with your bets.

really like Naizagai in the 12.15 Cartmel tomorrow, but Fergal O'Brien's record of 1 win in 42 of this type of race really puts me off. I would have taken the chance if it was around 7/2, but has opened up at 7/4 with Bet365, which is far too short for me. If it drifts to 7/2+ then I'll back it. It is the best horse in the race, but I get the impression FoB doesn't want to win these/

Fraterculus & To Fly Free are the obvious dangers, in that order, and would be very surprised if the winner doesn't come from one of the three.

really like Naizagai in the 12.15 Cartmel tomorrow, but Fergal O'Brien's record of 1 win in 42 of this type of race really puts me off. I would have taken the chance if it was around 7/2, but has opened up at 7/4 with Bet365, which is far too short for me. If it drifts to 7/2+ then I'll back it. It is the best horse in the race, but I get the impression FoB doesn't want to win these/

Fraterculus & To Fly Free are the obvious dangers, in that order, and would be very surprised if the winner doesn't come from one of the three.
I've just had a quick look at that race in PP but they are not displaying any odds and I avoid first time out races like the plague. I just noticed that Clem A won the last which I had marked out. It won at 33/1 in a seven runner race when it was as low as 4/1 this morning. I dunno what that was all about but there are a lot of horses running with the A in their title. Olivia A Amelia A etc. Its things like this that get my curiosity up lol

Native Tribe in the 3.30 Sandown is overpriced at 8/1 I think. He was Buick's first choice in the last race (and was favourite) and his stablemate won the race. Been gelded since which could have put him back on track. It's a race that any of the 4 could win, and regularly in small fields you see a muddling/false pace creating a sprint at the end and the outsider of them all winning.
Wouldn't go heavily on it, but I wouldn't want to be laying 8/1 either. Certainly wouldn't be backing Enemy at around evens.

In the 12.15 I mentioned above To Fly Free is now 7/1, so will be sticking £10 EW on that one (although still think the favourite has the best chance of winning), and a £10 win on Native Tribe.

Good luck everyone

Native Tribe in the 3.30 Sandown is overpriced at 8/1 I think. He was Buick's first choice in the last race (and was favourite) and his stablemate won the race. Been gelded since which could have put him back on track. It's a race that any of the 4 could win, and regularly in small fields you see a muddling/false pace creating a sprint at the end and the outsider of them all winning.
Wouldn't go heavily on it, but I wouldn't want to be laying 8/1 either. Certainly wouldn't be backing Enemy at around evens.

In the 12.15 I mentioned above To Fly Free is now 7/1, so will be sticking £10 EW on that one (although still think the favourite has the best chance of winning), and a £10 win on Native Tribe.

Good luck everyone
first and third is not a bad call col. I've one bet for today and I'll post it once I get home.

first and third is not a bad call col. I've one bet for today and I'll post it once I get home.
Yeah and the other was 4th :D
In hindsight I should have done £20 win on the winner, but the trainers record put me off too much at that price, I would have probably took the chance at 3/1, but not 2's.
11/1 for the third was a mad price

My first came in ew and I may have a look at the Irish racing for tonight

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way
P
2. Zoom Call
7/1 17/2
7th Aug SLIGO 13:00 6F STAKES 5f 160yds - Each Way
13:00 07 August 2020
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 3 Places
Best odds

12. Sicario
15/4
7th Aug SLIGO 14:45 1M 2F HCAP 1m 2f 42yds - Each Way
Starting in 59 minutes
Each Way: 1/4 Odds, 3 Places
Best odds

4. Red Line Alexander
5/2
7th Aug SLIGO 15:55 1M 4 1/2F HCAP 1m 4f 110yds - Each Way
15:55 Today
Best odds

1. Universal Focus
7/2
7th Aug SLIGO 16:30 1M 4 1/2F HCAP 1m 4f 110yds - Each Way
16:30 Today
Best odds

ffs Col, will you stop betting please, every time you have a bet the meetings abandoned :D
Ha ha I was just thinking that. Saved me losing :) I stuck this on for tonight cos I am not keen on the Irish racing this evening

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

8. Independence Day
11/4
7th Aug WOLVERHAMPTON 17:50 HANDICAP 0m 5f 21y - Each Way
17:50 Today
Best odds

5. Swinging Eddie
4/1
7th Aug WOLVERHAMPTON 18:50 HANDICAP 1m 1f 104y - Each Way
18:50 Today
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 4 Places
Best odds

1. Freedom And Wheat
10/3
7th Aug WOLVERHAMPTON 19:50 HANDICAP 1m 0f 142y - Each Way
19:50 Today
Best odds

3. Malmesbury Abbey
5/2
7th Aug WOLVERHAMPTON 20:20 HANDICAP 0m 7f 36y - Each Way
20:20 Today
Best odds

Seeing as there isn't an active football thread, I stuck my free PP fiver on
Real Madrid to Win Both Halves & Real Madrid to Have Most Corners in Each Half
@ 175/1

While it's clearly not an odds on shot, I don't think it should be 175/1 either. Clearly RM have to come out attacking, and need at least 2 goals to progress through. I would imagine Man City are going to defend, which should lead to RM having most corners. Obviously City have a good defence so it's certainly not guaranteed to be broken down, but I wouldn't be laying 175/1 for this bet either.

Seeing as there isn't an active football thread, I stuck my free PP fiver on
Real Madrid to Win Both Halves & Real Madrid to Have Most Corners in Each Half
@ 175/1

While it's clearly not an odds on shot, I don't think it should be 175/1 either. Clearly RM have to come out attacking, and need at least 2 goals to progress through. I would imagine Man City are going to defend, which should lead to RM having most corners. Obviously City have a good defence so it's certainly not guaranteed to be broken down, but I wouldn't be laying 175/1 for this bet either.
Looks like we both lost there then Col. It was shocking to see such bad deffending by RM. I bet those players who made all of the howlers will not be at RM too much longer

No big outsiders for me today but here are my 2 for this afternoon.

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

11. Elzaamone
11/2
8th Aug CORK 15:05 5F HCAP 5f - Each Way
15:05 Today
Best odds

9. Maud Gonne Spirit
8/1
8th Aug CORK 16:15 7F HCAP 7f - Each Way
16:15 Today
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 5 Places
Best odds

5. Silk Cravat
4/1
8th Aug CORK 16:50 7F HCAP 7f - Each Way
16:50 Today
Each Way: 1/4 Odds, 4 Places
Best odds

4. Billyfairplay
4/1
8th Aug CORK 17:25 7F HCAP 7f - Each Way
17:25 Today
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 5 Places
Best odds

And

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

9. Theotherside
4/1
8th Aug ASCOT 13:50 HANDICAP 0m 6f 0y - Each Way
13:50 Today
Best odds

7. Jalaad
9/2
8th Aug ASCOT 14:25 HANDICAP 1m 0f 0y - Each Way
14:25 Today
Best odds

4. Sleeping Lion
5/1
8th Aug ASCOT 15:00 HANDICAP 1m 7f 209y - Each Way
15:00 Today
Best odds

11. Omnivega
9/2
8th Aug ASCOT 15:35 HANDICAP 1m 3f 211y - Each Way

Plus I took Star of valour 1pm Count of Amazonia 1.30 Tomorrows dream 2.05 and War glory 3.50 at Haydock in a EW Lucky 15

Anna of Lorraine,global giant and high wells stand out for me if I was going to bet on the nose in a round robin

Good luck with your bets :)

2.05H Tomorrow's Dream. Going up in grade, but has won some good races already, beating some good horses, and doing it easily on a couple of occasions. This race doesn't have much quality for a C1, and can't see this being out the first 3, Haggis is in good form too, which always helps. Was 20/1 a few days ago, now 7's, but still worth an EW bet.

In the previous race (1.30H), same trainer, Nicklaus is dropping in trip and has first time blinkers which should help. His runs so far haven't been spectacular, but haven't been bad, usually getting placed in class 3 races, again, EW looks a decent bet. Currently around 6/1.

Best bet of the day is in the 2.45 Haydock. Zaaki. Currently around 4/1, typical Sir Michael Stoute improving type, 2 warm up runs, stepping up in trip, he showed at York last year has no problem with fast ground or a flat track, Ryan Moore back on board, and despite having 2 other runners at the track, think this is the one Stoute is wanting to win. Global Giant is obviously the one to beat, but as per usual with a Dettori ridden horse, the price is lower because he is on it. Having said that, I do think Dettori is there for this horse, but not sure he will be good enough to beat Zaaki.

Just a word for Silent Attack in the 2.25A, I'm not backing this as theres other horses in the race I think will beat him, but think its probably double the price it should be.

Good luck today.

2.05H Tomorrow's Dream. Going up in grade, but has won some good races already, beating some good horses, and doing it easily on a couple of occasions. This race doesn't have much quality for a C1, and can't see this being out the first 3, Haggis is in good form too, which always helps. Was 20/1 a few days ago, now 7's, but still worth an EW bet.

In the previous race (1.30H), same trainer, Nicklaus is dropping in trip and has first time blinkers which should help. His runs so far haven't been spectacular, but haven't been bad, usually getting placed in class 3 races, again, EW looks a decent bet. Currently around 6/1.

Best bet of the day is in the 2.45 Haydock. Zaaki. Currently around 4/1, typical Sir Michael Stoute improving type, 2 warm up runs, stepping up in trip, he showed at York last year has no problem with fast ground or a flat track, Ryan Moore back on board, and despite having 2 other runners at the track, think this is the one Stoute is wanting to win. Global Giant is obviously the one to beat, but as per usual with a Dettori ridden horse, the price is lower because he is on it. Having said that, I do think Dettori is there for this horse, but not sure he will be good enough to beat Zaaki.

Just a word for Silent Attack in the 2.25A, I'm not backing this as theres other horses in the race I think will beat him, but think its probably double the price it should be.

Good luck today.
Yes I noticed the price plunge on Tomorrows Dream last night when I was placing my bets. I can only guess that there is a lot of confidence in him at the yard so an EW punt on it is not a bad shout out.

I chose Global giant over Zaaki to win because both trainer and horse are in good form,not to mention Frankie being on its back.
Frankie sure is very choosy about when and what he rides these days

One other interesting booking is Hollie Doyle on Fierospeed in the 315 Haydock. I think the fave will win but Fierospeed looks a good ew bet.But I am a huge Hollie Doyle fan

Last edited:
Hi guys don't post in here but follow your selections sometimes.

Just thought I'd mention two a gainst the field today

1.40 Newmarket- Statement.

Its first time out today for Martyn Meade but I recieved a tip for him to win back in July be he was pulled out.
Shop around for a price but he was 4/1 on paddy power earlier.

5.25 Cork- Billyfairplay

Super unlucky last time at the curragh
9/2 right now and paddy power paying 5 places in shop not sure about online.

Good luck all.

EDIT: also just seen Geordiecolin also picked Billyfairplay! How can it fail lol.

Hi guys don't post in here but follow your selections sometimes.

Just thought I'd mention two a gainst the field today

1.40 Newmarket- Statement.

Its first time out today for Martyn Meade but I recieved a tip for him to win back in July be he was pulled out.
Shop around for a price but he was 4/1 on paddy power earlier.

5.25 Cork- Billyfairplay

Super unlucky last time at the curragh
9/2 right now and paddy power paying 5 places in shop not sure about online.

Good luck all.

EDIT: also just seen Geordiecolin also picked Billyfairplay! How can it fail lol.

Hi Kenji its great to see you contribute in here and I especially like your Billyfairplay selection.
I've my eye on Statement in a few minutes but I would have chosen Appleby's nag in that race.
Good luck :)

First one drifted to 9's. Just touched off. Looked an above average filly maiden to me and they both pulled a long way clear. She may find a maiden soon but the price is likely gone now. Ho hum we live to fight another day

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back