General Election 2024 Thread

ChopleyIOM

Bitter remoaner insufferable woketard 3Dice shill
webby
How exciting, it's time for another one of these threads,

Now, I'm no scientist and I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm not predicting this one will go very well for Rishi, who delivered a dreadful speech, whilst getting very soggy, to the sounds of 'Things Can Only Get Better' being played from the end of Downing Street.

There are rumours that letters were going in to the 1922 Committee and rumblings of a leadership challenge (as nonsensical as it would have been to foist another unelected PM on the country). but either way we have the date, 4th of July.

I'm not a big fan of Starmer and his Labour Party, being far more of a Corbynite, (dear old Saint Jeremy!), but this will most certainly be a very interesting general election.

1716396355099.png

As a filthy immigrant to Britainia I have to say that this election looks rather like the last few elections before I left the Great White North: it's not a matter of choosing a great leader or an inspiring party, it's a matter of gritting your teeth and choosing the least dreadful option available. Reminds me of one of the (few) great lines from Star Trek: Discovery: "che'wI' Datu'be'" ("Choose Your Pain").

Last edited:
I hope that the tories get completely destroyed.

I am no Labour fan or supporter but they are the only other viable candidate to get rid of the scummy tories.

I am a Liberal but I do not like Ed Davey so I am only going to vote for the leader who I feel is right. That being said I might even abstain.

How exciting, it's time for another one of these threads,

Now, I'm no scientist and I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm not predicting this one will go very well for Rishi, who delivered a dreadful speech, whilst getting very soggy, to the sounds of 'Things Can Only Get Better' being played from the end of Downing Street.

There are rumours that letters were going in to the 1922 Committee and rumblings of a leadership challenge (as nonsensical as it would have been to foist another unelected PM on the country). but either way we have the date, 4th of July.

I'm not a big fan of Starmer and his Labour Party, being far more of a Corbynite, (dear old Saint Jeremy!), but this will most certainly be a very interesting general election.

View attachment 197204

I'm a head in the sand, sheep kind of guy so for me, not even remotely and after this post, another thread I shall be avoiding :p

As a filthy immigrant to Britainia I have to say that this election looks rather like the last few elections before I left the Great White North: it's not a matter of choosing a great leader or an inspiring party, it's a matter of gritting your teeth and choosing the least dreadful option available. Reminds me of one of the (few) great lines from Star Trek: Discovery: "che'wI' Datu'be'" ("Choose Your Pain").

Yep, sadly there are no great or even OK options - just the useless incumbent with a track record of disaster, and the challenger with an equally hopeless track record and an even more uninspiring leader.

Labour are just as dangerous as the Tories. Ed Miliband is touting an unhinged energy policy which includes a ban on fresh oil and gas drilling so it's going to a cold and expensive few years. As shit as the Tories are, I f***ing hate Labour so will be voting Reform.

Looks like Tory MPs are taking it well at least.

I'm sure the people of the UK would totally be onboard with such coup-like behaviour....

Five years really is a long time in politics, back in 2019 there were predictions of 10-15 years (or more) of uninterrupted Tory rule. And yet here we are in 2024 with the only variable being how emphatic the Tory defeat will be.

1716411558022.png

I have to say as someone who has worked hard for 40 years and have now chiseled out a decent lifestyle for myself and my family, I am gutted at the thought of Labour having power for even one minute.
I can look forward to my taxes going up, I can look forward to my pension going down and I can look forward to spending my later life paying for people who cannot be arsed getting themselves a job.
I can look forward to a return to the 70's, nationalising everything and productivity going through the floor.
I can look forward to unions bringing the country to its knees.
I can remember the winter of discontent and we will probably have another 5 of those to look forward to.
But one good thing to look forward to..... when Keir Starmer rejoins the single market at least the Brexit red tape in NI will disappear.

I have to say as someone who has worked hard for 40 years and have now chiseled out a decent lifestyle for myself and my family, I am gutted at the thought of Labour having power for even one minute.
I can look forward to my taxes going up, I can look forward to my pension going down and I can look forward to spending my later life paying for people who cannot be arsed getting themselves a job.
I can look forward to a return to the 70's, nationalising everything and productivity going through the floor.
I can remember the winter of discontent and we will probably have another 5 of those to look forward to.
But one good thing to look forward to..... when Keir Starmer rejoins the single market at least the Brexit red tape in NI will disappear.

Excuse me,

So you forget all the shit the tories have done to this country? And base your views on what Labour did in the late 90's early 00's

I could list all the car crash things that the tories have done, but there is that many I would get in trouble for spamming.

Excuse me,

So you forget all the shit the tories have done to this country? And base your views on what Labour did in the late 90's early 00's

I could list all the car crash things that the tories have done, but there is that many I would get in trouble for spamming.
No I base it on all the crap that every labour government- with the exception of Tory Tony’s early years - has brought to the country .
Higher taxes , more waste , less incentive to do well that’s what Liebour will bring.

All I can say abt the tories GE chances is summed up here:

1716442045816.png

Not keen on labour as it will have the strong flavour of blair mark 2.0, but hopefully, out of all this, we may get some better representation in the future, at some point falling turnouts and engagement must cause a reaction in the body politic.

No I base it on all the crap that every labour government- with the exception of Tory Tony’s early years - has brought to the country .
Higher taxes , more waste , less incentive to do well that’s what Liebour will bring.

You know the tax burden in the UK right now, after 14 years of Tory rule, is the highest it's been for seventy years?

Also, you seen the UK national debt recently?

It was like watching a parody news broadcast last night. I am guessing that was Steve Bray's sound system blasting out "Things can only get better!" when Rishi was speaking. :D

Then to top it all off, he got absolutely soaked LOLOLOL

I don't think somehow the country is 'Ready 4 Rishi" LOL

I predict annihilation on Downing Street come 4th July :D

As the days roll by and the election draws closer, maybe it's worth seeing where we are in terms of choices. (I don't think they're quite as stark as dunover paints above, although I'd be the first to admit I'm not inspired by Starmer's Labour, but I also don't think it's fair, or accurate, to say they're all the same or as bad as each other.)

Anyway, on immigration, here's where we are. It's massively up from where we were a decade ago, and indeed since the Brexit referendum. What's happened since we fully left the EU and came out of transition in 2020, is we've replaced EU immigration with non-EU immigration, and far more on top of that.

Indeed, the huge spike in immigration, as you can see, is since 2020.

Now, you might have an opinion on what Labour will or won't do on immigration, but as always with these things, it's important to have a clear picture of what we're comparing with.

1716461343867.png

You know the tax burden in the UK right now, after 14 years of Tory rule, is the highest it's been for seventy years?

Also, you seen the UK national debt recently?
I think there was a a wee thing called Covid that led to huge borrowing and every countries debt burden went up.
I’d say we will be moving the 70 year figure to 75 years after a term of Liebour constantly going to the markets to borrow money to increase the Dole for the people who don’t want to work.

I think there was a a wee thing called Covid that led to huge borrowing and every countries debt burden went up.
I’d say we will be moving the 70 year figure to 75 years after a term of Liebour constantly going to the markets to borrow money to increase the Dole for the people who don’t want to work.
There’s also the fact that if everybody who could work did work, top pay would fall and there would be less incentive for progression.

A lot of people fail to realise that for capitalism to work there naturally has to be an ‘underclass’. People also don’t realise that if you completely cut millions adrift from having any sort of purchasing power, crime goes through the roof as these people have nothing to lose.

There’s also the fact that if everybody who could work did work, top pay would fall and there would be less incentive for progression.

A lot of people fail to realise that for capitalism to work there naturally has to be an ‘underclass’. People also don’t realise that if you completely cut millions adrift from having any sort of purchasing power, crime goes through the roof as these people have nothing to lose.
I think a lot of people do realise this but what it translates to, is that we're relying on layabouts not working, and being paid for it, to keep the economy pumping and crime down. That doesn't sit very well with most people.

This is probably one of the most UnConservative Conservative government's in living memory. They are meant to be the party of low taxation, yet here we are being taxed to death. They hate small businesses to boot too. Plus anyone who is struggling, they have continually kicked them between the legs during the past 14 years.

Most definitely time for a change and I believe the voters will give the Tories more than a bloody nose at the Ballot Box.

I think a lot of people do realise this but what it translates to, is that we're relying on layabouts not working, and being paid for it, to keep the economy pumping and crime down. That doesn't sit very well with most people.
What’s the alternative though.

It’s just not possible for everybody to be successful. Capitalism and especially neo liberal capitalism is very geared towards socio economic stratification.

Ultimately it’s the system and not the individuals, and it’s a pill you have to swallow when living in a democratic capitalist society.

Looks like Tory MPs are taking it well at least.

I'm sure the people of the UK would totally be onboard with such coup-like behaviour....

Five years really is a long time in politics, back in 2019 there were predictions of 10-15 years (or more) of uninterrupted Tory rule. And yet here we are in 2024 with the only variable being how emphatic the Tory defeat will be.

View attachment 197205

Tories aren’t the smartest cookies. Get rid of their leader in the midst of an election campaign?

I mean, they don’t need to appeal to their idiotic, selfish, bigoted base. But they should at least try not to appear incompetent to the wider population.

Tories aren’t the smartest cookies. Get rid of their leader in the midst of an election campaign?

I mean, they don’t need to appeal to their idiotic, selfish, bigoted base. But they should at least try not to appear incompetent to the wider population.

They can not get rid of their leader during an election campaign, that would be the final nail in the conservative coffin if they did that. For starters the leadership campaign would not even finish in time for 4th July, second is who would even stand? We have had 5 disgraceful tory leaders in the last 14 years and each one was worse than the previous one.

The tories are ruined and come 5th July when results are all in you will see who ever is left as a tory MP will mean the tory party will then split up into 2 or 3 factions and the tory party that we know today will be a thing of the past. It will take over a generation for them to rebuild again. Just like it did for Labour.

The big problem that the UK is facing is that there really is no viable "respectable" option to vote for.

Whether you loved them or hated them, one of the parties really needs a strong leader similar to Churchill/Thatcher etc. who just gets shit done. There is to much of lining their own pockets or looking after rich investors instead of just cracking on with important topics - and the current leaders of all parties are to focused on trying to make sure they stay on the right side of not upsetting anybody (which is practically impossible these days as no matter what you do, someone gets upset and starts crying).

For the first time in years, I honestly don't know who to vote for as there is no one who I feel is strong enough to make the tough decisions and actually get shit done

Thatcher was abysmal and Churchill was popular because of WW2. He was a good war time leader. I was not around then, so I can not judge and reading peoples views on him is always not accurate either when reading back in history.

Most historically written articles are not that accurate and could also be biased as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back