Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Not yet ......

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • I rent

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
Having my own home sure would be swell. My landlord is selling the house and I have to be out in the next 4 days and havent managed to find a new one. :eek2:

Ya, life's sucking hard right now.

My God that is terrible. I know how hard it is to find rental properties that take pets. I have been down that road myself and found it hard. In the current rental market in Ireland right now if I had to move I'd be screwed as rents are sky high and very few take pets. In the cities of Ireland it's a landlords market. Hope it isn't the same where you are:)

My God that is terrible. I know how hard it is to find rental properties that take pets. I have been down that road myself and found it hard. In the current rental market in Ireland right now if I had to move I'd be screwed as rents are sky high and very few take pets. In the cities of Ireland it's a landlords market. Hope it isn't the same where you are:)

Ya, I live in a resort town. :eek2: A lot of places, being summer, for craptacular space, are going up to $2500/week.

Ya, I live in a resort town. :eek2: A lot of places, being summer, for craptacular space, are going up to $2500/week.
Good luck and hope you find some place fast. Here where I am there hasn't been much building going on since the bust in '08 so the rental stock is very low and competition is fierce even for the crappies places. And most places are very crappy indeed:D

I have and paid to bump it twice. :thumbsup:

Here is a little FYI when using Kijiji. Instead of paying to get it bumped, copy&paste original ad, delete old ad. Make new ad, edit a few words so it doesn't look like the old one. Your good to go! I use them for my business all the time, and I'll be damned if I'm paying them a penny. :p

Owned yes up until around 4 some years back when we got rid due to a very messy and agressive end of the "marriage"

Since then I just aint bothered. I rent property that I like to live in without the worry of a mortgage anymore or the associated costs. Plus I travel allot which due to being self employed im lucky in that a hotel room becomes my office and I am in full control of what I can earn and when. I know the more nomadic life style is not for everyone. But getting on the property ladder is not a must for happiness. My son is over 18 going through Uni and making his way in life. I intend to leave NOWT when I kick the bucket and so what I do have I ensure I live my life to the fullest I can now.

Without owning a property im not tied to anything. I love being able to book a flight pack a bag and clear off as and when I like. I do understand for many its important wanting to pass something on to future generations but my own mind set is different to that. When my son for example needs something I give it to him if I can. And why does he need to wait until im a gonner before he gets what he needs. So I wont ever buy again I think ... and the way England is going right now If I were to buy it would not be here.

So those people in this thread who feel life has passed them by when it comes to house buying don't let it get to you. Make the very best of what you have ... and finances permitting they are some great places to rent. I have lived in loads of places and in homes I could never afford to buy but can afford to rent. Been away 5 times this year so far with another trip planned in the next few weeks and feel free to do what I want :)

But each to there own I suppose :thumbsup:

Owned yes up until around 4 some years back when we got rid due to a very messy and agressive end of the "marriage"

Since then I just aint bothered. I rent property that I like to live in without the worry of a mortgage anymore or the associated costs. Plus I travel allot which due to being self employed im lucky in that a hotel room becomes my office and I am in full control of what I can earn and when. I know the more nomadic life style is not for everyone. But getting on the property ladder is not a must for happiness. My son is over 18 going through Uni and making his way in life. I intend to leave NOWT when I kick the bucket and so what I do have I ensure I live my life to the fullest I can now.

Without owning a property im not tied to anything. I love being able to book a flight pack a bag and clear off as and when I like. I do understand for many its important wanting to pass something on to future generations but my own mind set is different to that. When my son for example needs something I give it to him if I can. And why does he need to wait until im a gonner before he gets what he needs. So I wont ever buy again I think ... and the way England is going right now If I were to buy it would not be here.

So those people in this thread who feel life has passed them by when it comes to house buying don't let it get to you. Make the very best of what you have ... and finances permitting they are some great places to rent. I have lived in loads of places and in homes I could never afford to buy but can afford to rent. Been away 5 times this year so far with another trip planned in the next few weeks and feel free to do what I want :)

I like your way of thinking!

Some days a house feels more an albatross than a blessing. I need to have a tenant to help pay the bills, and that's without a mortgage. A lot of the things I used to be able to do myself I need to pay someone for.

I bought a home when I was 33. I had an uncle that died and left me a small inheritance (about 16K), so I was able to manage a down payment. Even with a decent job and no debts, I didn't qualify for a mortgage that was $1 more a month, including the property taxes, than I had been paying in rent for the past year, and no black marks on my credit record. My dad co-signed for me, otherwise I would not have been able to buy.

Following my dad's death, I moved into the house I grew up in. I don't have a mortgage, but sadly that's because I lost my brother who had half interest in the house a few years back.

Mortgage payments (or the interest on them) are not tax deductible in Canada.

I've really struggled over the years to keep this place, would have been much easier to let it go and rent. But at the end of the day there may be something for my kid to improve her life when I'm gone, or more comfort in my later years should I choose to sell it before that time.

My advice to young people (especially couples) is don't over-burden yourself with a huge mortgage. I saw many many people lose homes in the 80s when interest rates jumped from around 8% or so into the high teens. Illness or job loss can greatly impact your ability to pay a big mortgage. I've seen a lot of couples break up over money problems, when there's not enough for a box of beer or some extra gas in the car, or being able to go out to dinner or a money because every nickle goes to the house. Start somewhere more modest than your dream home.

And have a lawyer review that Agreement to Purchase before you sign it. It will not cost more than a couple of hundred bucks, and many lawyers will waive that fee. Remember the real estate salesperson works for the vendor. Hire your own home inspector too.

And don't buy a home if you expect to be moving in the next five years, unless you are intending to flip it and can do most of the work yourself.

Omg. I went through that back in December. I didn't even know the house was up for sale. Talk about stressed out. Fate was kind and gave me 4k in winnings on here, so that helped. But finding a place money or not had to be the most stressful thing. Landlords think they are entitled to know everything from your credit report, banking info etc. Its BS. I will keep my fingers crossed for you! :(

Oh jesus did not even think landlords can be that bad, I will tell you they will be playing by my rules when it comes to that and rent. I pay cash only and you better be providing a receipt.

If you own a home in the states and are a working class stiff, you are a literal slave to:

-Your job. They know you have mortgage to pay and often twist you up - increasing workloads, more demanding scheduling, quotas etc.

-The IRS, State and Local taxation. Miss ONE dollar and they will slap a lien on your home and hit you with compounding interest. All the while making it nearly impossible to contact them.

-High crime and lack of police presence. The more marginal the neighborhood, the worse the problem.

Also, in the next 10-20 yrs. law enforcement is likely to become privatized.

Yes, it is each to their own.

I don't see it that way.
Renting has some benefits perhaps but at the end of the day it is what it is, dead money on your behalf.
I want stability, there is none of that in the rental scene. More so these days then ever people selling, re buying etc.

I have moved so many times in the last 10 years it has been ridiculous. Not to mention the massive huge losses in costs as well associated with it.

Buying isn't an issue for alot of people as in to pay the loan off/back, with replayments, depending where you plan too live, closer too city is more expensive etc.
We are semi rural, and could Not afford to buy inner city nor would we want too.

Issue is saving that deposit initially while paying rent at the same time too get into buying a home. Thats the near impossible part.
And I think differently, if you are younger yes you should look at buying, but wisely not a massive over priced inner city property your going to be more then a slave too repaying. Start a little smaller and little outter.
Properties increase in value over time, most anyway.. I would opt to buy anyday if I had the deposit then to feed someone else money and be left in a situation I have to move time and time again because
the landlord wants to sell or move in, or something. You can never really turn the rented home into a more personalized home, as there is alot of limitations and who would want to spend money into a property
you rent and is not your own anyway.

Least with owning, one day the day will come when your home is paid off and when you are much older, free from loans/ not in rental and having something that is Yours, Your own, a place you probably ?? lived in for years and have fond memories and something to leave behind for your children and so forth. Eh it;s just how I feel and my views on it.

But the reality kicked in and as I said it hurts like hell, that it will be something most likely not a possibility now for us.
Such is life I guess.

Have you ever considered that when buying a house with a mortgage that you end up paying between 2-4 times the value of the house by the time it is paid off, even with low interest rates?

Not to speak off the running cost for a house...renovations, breakdowns, replacements etc.

Not to speak off that you mostly can't afford to lose your job.

I owned and rented in my life so far, made a nice profit when i sold the house back in 2002 for double the buying price and will stick to renting for the rest of my life. And that only fully furnished and serviced.

At some point in my younger years I made a promise with my then girlfriend, while holidaying on the Gold Coast, to buy a house in Paradise Point for our retirement. A few years later the girlfriend was gone and with that the promise although i still plan to retire at 55 in that region :D

m+m urlaub 103.jpg

Have you ever considered that when buying a house with a mortgage that you end up paying between 2-4 times the value of the house by the time it is paid off, even with low interest rates?

Not to speak off the running cost for a house...renovations, breakdowns, replacements etc.

Not to speak off that you mostly can't afford to lose your job.

I owned and rented in my life so far, made a nice profit when i sold the house back in 2002 for double the buying price and will stick to renting for the rest of my life. And that only fully furnished and serviced.

At some point in my younger years I made a promise with my then girlfriend, while holidaying on the Gold Coast, to buy a house in Paradise Point for our retirement. A few years later the girlfriend was gone and with that the promise although i still plan to retire at 55 in that region :D

View attachment 68684

Nice, would love to live somewhere like that.

Im moving to the East Coast when im 55

True... but by the time it's paid off, it's WORTH 2-4 times the purchase price - you have to remember that. (At least, in the UK it is).
e.g. a friend of mine just sold the house he bought in the mid-80's for £37,000 - and got £475,000! :eek2:

I also got on the housing ladder in the mid-80's, thank god. Now, after 2 re-mortgages, I only have a couple of years more to pay.
House prices in most of the UK are totally INSANE. I honestly fear for my kids - if we don't help them (which hopefully we will be in a position to do by the time they leave home) I can't see how they could EVER buy their own place. It makes me sick :mad:

KK

Only 1 hr drive southeast from Brisbane mate. And the name of the village actually fits perfectly. :D

East Coast? Why not Cornwall or Devon, much more sun there ;)

Sentimental reasons.

A few years ago we was looking at selling up and buying around the Targovishte or Veliko Tarnovo regions in BG, before the wife got poorly.

I bought a home when the poker boom was going well and always had a lot of $. Once Black Friday came I was screwed and had to sell. I then went and became an attorney and now make pennies compared to what I use to make as a poker player. Currently in the market for a house since my fiance also works and has a stable job. I have a 10 month old baby and priorities changed with the baby. I still like to play and mess around with slots, but I know it is a 100% loser outcome in the long-run. If I had the time to play poker I would have a house already but the family takes precedent and my fiance doesn't understand the skill in poker. Anyways, I do not currently own a home and moving into a crappy apartment tomorrow until we can locate the right house and make sure it will go up in value and have good schools for the little one. Sometimes I think how much money I would have if I didn't domesticate myself and have a baby, but when he gives me his precious smile it melts my heart and I would give up everything just to see his smile.

I also rented a home for a year and it cost me like 45000 which was a complete waste. I think renting is horrible because it is a complete waste, but if you have no choice oh well. Just be happy with what you do have and realize gambling is not the reason you are renting instead of owning etc,, Gambling can never be a only source of income. Some poker players do it, but most will never have families. But your post is interesting because it is exactly what I am going through now. I wish I could go play poker a few days a week and have some extra $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back