Classic/Vintage Fruit Machines

The 2 in the mid of top pic.
These were the best.

Early on the Barcrest machines had a jackpot which actualy paid a token that could be exchanged for ciggies.
At 8 years old i not only got addicted to fruity's but also to packets of Number 6 Plain..Cough cough.

At first we dicovered that you could flick 1p into the 5p slot and get a credit. A 2p would do the same in the 10p slot. eventualy the machine would start paying out in 2p's as the tube emptied of silver.

Then someone discovered that you prise open the slot for change with a pen knife. It would give 50p in 10ps.
A piece of fishing line or wire with a hook shape on the end inserted and pulled back would give 50p in 10ps until...The machine was empty.

The ones in our seaside arcades originaly had perspex fronts. You could place your knee into the perspex and stop the nudge reel from counting down. IE unlimited nudges. Once you nudged in the jackpot we would do the same for the 3 reels and , Well it was unlimited jackpots till the machine was empty.

I am not proud of myself, for sure, But as a child the temptation of easy money and ciggies was just too much. What a rascal eh.

I should'nt do so but i'm gonna,, I blame Billy Butlin ;)

Anyone remeber slots that paid out in "Green Shield" stamps ? Oh the good ole days.

:)

Bloody hell... How old are you ?! ;)

The same chap I've been chatting to now has The Big Breakfast for sale, eBay item 172356451246.

How could I forget about some of these machines? Great fun and entertaining. I seriously need to get a classic machine in my man cave now.

View attachment 71333

Quality game that 1. Could payout very well. Shame it was mostly tokens for jackpot though, Still nice to get 5 repeats on though. i still have a few 80's tokens somewhere lol.

Bloody hell... How old are you ?! ;)

I remember the very first "Digital" slots.

They were 1 arm bandits , They had 3 seperate windows to show the reels but they wernt reels as such. All you could see in each window was a digitised number. 1p play. Pull handle and like the first digi watches the numbers would appear.. Totaly shite games but obvioulsy popular enough to get us where we are today.

;)

Quality game that 1. Could payout very well. Shame it was mostly tokens for jackpot though, Still nice to get 5 repeats on though. i still have a few 80's tokens somewhere lol.

Geeeettttt your, get your nobbly nuts out...

Anyone remeber slots that paid out in "Green Shield" stamps ? Oh the good ole days. :)

Spooky, I mentioned these machines to someone on Youtube a couple of days ago.

I remember them from Great Yarmouth when I used to go for 2 weeks every year, 1p play.
Later they were changed to Woolworths stamps.

Trancemonkey - thought so. We've actually met each other about 18 or so years ago in a witherspoons pub I think it was through a mutual friend, I wonder if you can remember haha

Trancemonkey - thought so. We've actually met each other about 18 or so years ago in a witherspoons pub I think it was through a mutual friend, I wonder if you can remember haha

Blimey - that's a long time ago! I did try and PM you but your message box is full ;)

Did we go on a route around Erdington and empty some machines (or try to?)... my memory isn't that good, so if it isn't that, then i'm struggling! You have a good memory for names!! :)

PM box is emptied a bit now. I don't think we went on a route was more of just a catch up and discussed a few things etc. Was fruit machine related of course

I sort of feel like the golden age of slots has come and gone. It was probably better before the internet even happened, not that I was doing it then really. Mobile phones and internet helped kill a lot of things very quickly. Sometimes I think the most profitable ones were manipulators or just strategies like number JPMs because they didn't get fixed as quickly and hence lasted way longer.

Do you remember hot rod?

That game road hog used to drive me mental... oil slicks... the sound of the spanner spluttering...used to be two versions of it? One that you held keys and one the tyres?

Remember used to be buzzing cos came home 30 quid up!

Summers holidays were the best-we’d get more people playing coming up from Belfast and watch them...’sniping’ was the term ;)

The amount of times I caught the "run" / "streak" on Road Hog was unreal, had my fair share of luck on Viva Las Vegas too which I much preferred. We used to call it "sharking" even the staff would hum the Jaws theme tune quietly when certain individuals came into our local arcade :p

My all time faves were Barcrest's "Up 'N' Over" which I simply cannot find anywhere (nothing to do with the emptier I discovered, surely) and their Lotta Luck. Also BFM's High Point, that £2.40 win (3 x silver bells) could repeat on and on.

Best ever result was a trip to town with about 0.70p and came home with almost £300 (back when the £6 token JP's had just started to appear) I'll also admit way back in the day, I blew the odd Giro or 3 :oops:

The amount of times I caught the "run" / "streak" on Road Hog was unreal, had my fair share of luck on Viva Las Vegas too which I much preferred. We used to call it "sharking" even the staff would hum the Jaws theme tune quietly when certain individuals came into our local arcade :p

My all time faves were Barcrest's "Up 'N' Over" which I simply cannot find anywhere (nothing to do with the emptier I discovered, surely) and their Lotta Luck. Also BFM's High Point, that £2.40 win (3 x silver bells) could repeat on and on.

Best ever result was a trip to town with about 0.70p and came home with almost £300 (back when the £6 token JP's had just started to appear) I'll also admit way back in the day, I blew the odd Giro or 3 :oops:

I preferred the token days as well, could end up with a right stash of them in your pocket.
Our local arcade had loads of Projects in, and Blue Moon etc.
Just used to go round them all streaking them.

Had a spare ten minutes in town yesterday so popped in an arcade.
Got offerd a 3 quid cash match, plumped for one of those £5 Bar X copies by Fair Games what plays the loony tunes theme when you get Jackpot.
It went crackers, won £34 out of it and I messed a fiver up as well, unlimited nudges showed on the display but my hand was already in motion to nudge a quid in haha

Yes that Eston arcade is pretty good, its only half anour drive away from me, the road hog and andy capp are both on 20p play 6 pound all cash and play very nice, just nice to have a few classics near by still to play, especially has the south shields arcade has now been sold, and all classics have gone, the guy who owns Eston did by 40 plus machines from there though, sold most the jpms on, but kept monoply 60 has you can see in the video, and quite a few mpu 4s and 5s worth a visit for sure for the friedbrekky alone.

You can play these old fruities using an emulator. I'm not sure the unchipped versions of the games are available though which is a shame.

How good were you at your skills on the fruits? Arcadia for example was too tricky for me but something like stop n step I could hit maybe 50% of the time. Not great but still ok.

yeh ive had the emulator running for over 10 year must be over 100 games plus on memory stick, there is defintely unchipped roms available, has quite a few emptiers have been demonstrated on you tube recently, maygay cluedo for example and even has recent has deal or no deal bankers bonus, certanly interesting to see how they worked just would of been nice to know one at the time, some are just crazy like barcrest supercharged, just a few simple buttons pressed and hey presto top feature, then repeat, obvisouly a lot were purposely put in the code, then it was down to who was in the know.

yeh ive had the emulator running for over 10 year must be over 100 games plus on memory stick, there is defintely unchipped roms available, has quite a few emptiers have been demonstrated on you tube recently, maygay cluedo for example and even has recent has deal or no deal bankers bonus, certanly interesting to see how they worked just would of been nice to know one at the time, some are just crazy like barcrest supercharged, just a few simple buttons pressed and hey presto top feature, then repeat, obvisouly a lot were purposely put in the code, then it was down to who was in the know.

Most of the emptiers wer accidental... we had some on the Games I did when I was at Impulse. I remember one on a game I did called Spin N Tonic (it didn’t sell too well) where the Reel Roulette code I wrote had a bug which meant it would roll off any symbol it couldn’t allow EXCEPT the Jackpot symbol. That’s what happens when you OR a mask incorrectly (coders will know).

We didn’t find it in test but some player found it in the first week of test in an arcade in Walsall!

Emptied it. Multiple times. So we quickly found out.

If you were clever you never emptied a machine with a cheat/emptier. That would alert us (the manufacturers). If you were clever you’d just take out 50 quid or so from multiple machines.

Yes that Eston arcade is pretty good, its only half anour drive away from me, the road hog and andy capp are both on 20p play 6 pound all cash and play very nice, just nice to have a few classics near by still to play, especially has the south shields arcade has now been sold, and all classics have gone, the guy who owns Eston did by 40 plus machines from there though, sold most the jpms on, but kept monoply 60 has you can see in the video, and quite a few mpu 4s and 5s worth a visit for sure for the friedbrekky alone.

He got rid of Old JPM's :eek2:
Would have been better keeping some of them and not having as many Electrocoins.
Used to love Indy, Big Bucks, Rollercoaster, Big Banker ETC.

Most of the emptiers wer accidental... we had some on the Games I did when I was at Impulse. I remember one on a game I did called Spin N Tonic (it didn’t sell too well) where the Reel Roulette code I wrote had a bug which meant it would roll off any symbol it couldn’t allow EXCEPT the Jackpot symbol. That’s what happens when you OR a mask incorrectly (coders will know).

We didn’t find it in test but some player found it in the first week of test in an arcade in Walsall!

Emptied it. Multiple times. So we quickly found out.

If you were clever you never emptied a machine with a cheat/emptier. That would alert us (the manufacturers). If you were clever you’d just take out 50 quid or so from multiple machines.

I still have fond memories of my first emptier on Super Line up back in 83 haha

MMM certanly interesting trance monkey, surely some must of been coded in, seemed to be heck of a lot back in the day and most just very simple, like the power 5 for example, just press deal or no deal every time you got a question mark, hey presto feature, some strange goings on for sure obvisouly not so much for the player.

Yeh JD a few month ago he had roller coaster, indiana jones, 2 monopoly 60s all sat in the corridor, think he regrets selling them now,seeing how popular the other oldies are now beeing, has a very nice mark 2 lite a nudge that was suposed to be sold, but he switched that on for us few weeks back to have a go, each way nudger mark 2 was also there that i used to play a lot at south shields, but thats gone, sonic the hedgehog, hot rod and quite a few others, but looks like he will be a few more oldies in.

Yeh JD a few month ago he had roller coaster, indiana jones, 2 monopoly 60s all sat in the corridor, think he regrets selling them now,seeing how popular the other oldies are now beeing, has a very nice mark 2 lite a nudge that was suposed to be sold, but he switched that on for us few weeks back to have a go, each way nudger mark 2 was also there that i used to play a lot at south shields, but thats gone, sonic the hedgehog, hot rod and quite a few others, but looks like he will be a few more oldies in.

I dont suppose you know anywhere else what has a few classics in around Yorkshire, Lancashire, ooop North do you?

Its all bloody Cashino's, Storeys, Quicksilvers and Royals round here.

They have a £6 token Andy Capp in Bradford, thats it lol.

There is a couple of arcades with a few older machines in Morecambe

Last edited:
Not much now really the South Shields arcade was my local haunt but that's now gone, talking to someone into his fruits a few weeks back and he sad it's worth popping to skirlington market, which is a 10 minute drive south of Bridlington, if yer ever near there, A mint arcade aperently with quite a few jpms and other classics, a few in the campsites near by also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back