A Question For Canadians!

LaurieJim

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
We have a couple that are here at the resort on holiday from Canada for a few more days and I have to say they are some fun loving party animals. I had always thought Canadians spoke English as a first language, was I wrong , very thick accents and they speak mainly French, just love the way they say Laurie sounds like Lawreeeeeeeeeeee:D.

Anyhoo my question is how many bottles of Jack Daniels can they bring back as I took them on a tour of the J.D Dist. today and they bought 6 big ole bottles of Jack, they couldn't remember the limit and also they want to buy some Powerball Lottery tickets and wanted to know if it is legal for them to purchase , I would think so but thought I would ask my Canadian friends. Also can they bring a carton of cigs back , they said they are so much cheaper here?

We have truly loved their company , we get a good deal of visitors from around the world but I would dare say the Canadians have been my favorites thus far.

Thanks for any help,
Laurie

You can bring as much as you like back, but without paying duty if you are gone more than 48 hours:

Up to $800.00 CAD worth of goods, tax and duty free, per person. Purchases may include:Tobacco:
200 cigarettes (1 carton);
50 cigars (non Cuban); or cigarillos;
200 tobacco sticks; and
200 grams of manufactured tobacco.
Alcohol:

1.5 litres of wine; or
1.14 litres of liquor; or
24 – 355 ml cans/bottles (8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

Taxes are quite high on alcohol, and varies from province to province. If you for instance bought two 750ml bottles, you would have to pay tax on one of them, they won't let you combine it into a single bottle. Best to buy litres or 40 pounders.

Here's a little program to help figure out what the duty payable would be.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Quebec is francophone, and New Brunswick is bilingual. There's a fair number of francophones in Northern Ontario too, as well as Ottawa.

I had always thought Canadians spoke English as a first language, was I wrong , very thick accents and they speak mainly French

Canada is a big country :)
About 23% of Canadians speak French as their first language and I'd say that ~60% can barely speak it (if at all), so you weren't entirely wrong. Canada is a bilingual country (officially) composed of two founding peoples.

Laurie sounds like Lawreeeeeeeeeeee

The surname Laurie is also used for French girls, so they pronounce it the French way :) If I didn't pay attention, I'd more than likely pronounce it like that, too!

All I can speak for is if they come in though British Columbia, the duty on booze overage is 110% of the Canadian listed price:eek2:, damn government union run liquor board, however it is rare that border guards in the main 4 lower mainland crossings ever enforce as long as you are within reason and because Costco is so close to the border in Bellingham they have pretty much done away with the 1.14l rule and accept the 1.75, in my last 20 crossing I have never had an issue and always declared, most I have ever brought back was last year when we went to Napa and brought back 9 bottles of wine.

We have a couple that are here at the resort on holiday from Canada for a few more days and I have to say they are some fun loving party animals. I had always thought Canadians spoke English as a first language, was I wrong , very thick accents and they speak mainly French, just love the way they say Laurie sounds like Lawreeeeeeeeeeee:D.

Anyhoo my question is how many bottles of Jack Daniels can they bring back as I took them on a tour of the J.D Dist. today and they bought 6 big ole bottles of Jack, they couldn't remember the limit and also they want to buy some Powerball Lottery tickets and wanted to know if it is legal for them to purchase , I would think so but thought I would ask my Canadian friends. Also can they bring a carton of cigs back , they said they are so much cheaper here?

We have truly loved their company , we get a good deal of visitors from around the world but I would dare say the Canadians have been my favorites thus far.

Thanks for any help,
Laurie

lol, that's rather like saying I had people visit from the states and they were Mexican-American and assume everyone in the states speaks Spanish. We may be an official bi-lingual country, but French isn't the dominant language - Hell, I live IN Quebec and can't string a sentence together in French.

I had always thought Canadians spoke English as a first language, was I wrong , very thick accents and they speak mainly French ....

Judging from the language, party habits and their taste for JD I'd guesstimate that you were hanging out with some Quebecers. Lived there for a couple years back in the 90s. Great place, crazy place, politics drove me up the wall so I moved to Ottawa (BIG mistake!).

Quebec is francophone, and New Brunswick is bilingual. There's a fair number of francophones in Northern Ontario too, as well as Ottawa.

There are a goodly number of Francophones scattered throughout the Prarie provinces too. Surprised the hell out of me to roll into a little town in Saskatchewan and hear (mostly) French on the street (yes "street", not "streetS". I did say it was a _little_ town).

francophones-across-canada.jpg

That's 1991 so the map ain't exactly up to date -- believe it or not it's changed a couple times! -- but AFAIK the Fracophone populations are pretty stable so the numbers probably aren't too far off.

Last edited:
So I assume you were here in ~94-95? :D
Where were you living? Montreal?

In Quebec? '89-'91 I think, give or take a year or so. And yes, "Moreeall".

Politics wasn't that bad at that time.

To each their own. It was bad enough for me, Western Canadian boy that I was. And it was obvious where it was going so I figured why stick around?

As to Ottawa, my issues with that fair city go a lot further than "zzzzz"! It's the crotch of Canada if you ask me, in every possible way, especially weather-wise. Yuk!

We used to joke that the signs that said "You are now entering the Nation's Capitol" should have added "Please lower your expectations." To say the least.

Thanks guys and gals , will give them the info , they are driving to Memphis today to visit Graceland , wanted me to tag along but that is a 4 hour drive and to close to my beloved Tunica and they don't like to gamble:p.

@Maxd , yes they both are from Quebec!

Laurie

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back