2020/21 premier league and any football elsewhere discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you have to take into consideration is that goalkeepers aren't real footballers - I should know, I was one

Once outside that box they become lost. It's like stepping into Narnia for most of them. So give 'em a break, yeah? :p
Ha ha ha. I laughed out loud. I often played in goal but preferred to play on the left. My great uncle was Sam Bartram who was so famed that Charlton have a statue of him outside their stadium.

Quick question. Has any goalkeeper ever scored more than one goal for their own team in a match?

Was just going to remark at my perceived failing eyesight when I thought I saw Norwich win a game earlier. Away at Brentford too.

So then I'm almost convinced I've gone insane - or that my partner had spiked my tea with LSD - when reading that Norwich have sacked their manager? What the Farke's going on?

1636234856110.png

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Was just going to remark at my perceived failing eyesight when I thought I saw Norwich win a game earlier. Away at Brentford too.

So then I'm almost convinced I've gone insane - or that my partner had spiked my tea with LSD - when reading that Norwich have sacked their manager? What the Farke's going on?

View attachment 160477

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
It is not your drinking that you have to worry about. It's what Delia has had,

Don't you just love the open-source fountain of knowledge that is Wikipedia?

To think, that would actually be a great appointment. Maybe a premonition......

wha.jpg

And no, it wasn't me, before anyone asks :mad:

Anyway, rumours are that it's likely Fat Frank the P.E Teacher will be next in line, or even Nuno Esposito. You heard it here first

What does Delia expect, putting pressure on the top teams, Farke has done well to get them promoted twice. Limphard may be a worthwhile gamble, managing Chelsea is not really a fair test for a young coach.

I think Howe is a sensible move by the toon, ideally a new keegan with the local connections would've been waiting in the wings but can't see any.

Well, what were they hoping for? Stevie won the Scottish Premiership, what else can you achieve with the Rangers? It was clear that his return to the Premier League was only a matter of time, as for any English player or coach. Even working in a non-top EPL team is now much more prestigious than in a Scottish top club.

Good luck to him at Villa he will need it.

He might have won the league at Rangers but does not seem capable of motivating players. Also every big match that mattered like cup games he lost as manager. Last season he managed an unbeaten run in a league with no fans or pressure at games.

Where this season with return of fans all the defensive mistakes that were glaring the season before last are back. With same team as last year with a few additions the attacking style from last season is gone.

Personally with Rangers underperforming this season and Gerrard seemingly unable to change things for the club it might be best thing him leaving.

Think Villa made a mistake appointing him. Alright saying he won the league at Rangers last year but it was 1 out of 10 trophies in his time here. Domestic cups the players bottled every semi final. Even this season qualifying for Champions league was what he wanted.

Yet his team blew it big time at home against a poor Malmo side. 1 0 up against 10 men and losing the match. No passion at all from players and he was unable to lift them. Since then about 2 decent performances in league all season.

Good luck to him at Villa he will need it.

He might have won the league at Rangers but does not seem capable of motivating players. Also every big match that mattered like cup games he lost as manager. Last season he managed an unbeaten run in a league with no fans or pressure at games.

Where this season with return of fans all the defensive mistakes that were glaring the season before last are back. With same team as last year with a few additions the attacking style from last season is gone.

Personally with Rangers underperforming this season and Gerrard seemingly unable to change things for the club it might be best thing him leaving.

Think Villa made a mistake appointing him. Alright saying he won the league at Rangers last year but it was 1 out of 10 trophies in his time here. Domestic cups the players bottled every semi final. Even this season qualifying for Champions league was what he wanted.

Yet his team blew it big time at home against a poor Malmo side. 1 0 up against 10 men and losing the match. No passion at all from players and he was unable to lift them. Since then about 2 decent performances in league all season.
Yes the fanless games last year produced many strange results in the premier also, lots more goals in general. I did have a feeling/worry that gerrard may not be the new dalglish or prodigal son for lfc, going to find out really quick how good he is now. I wonder if john terry is still the villa assistant?

Rangers fans in heartfelt tribute and emotional farewell after Gerrard made them a force again

View attachment 160734
A cynic would say he jumped at a chance to leave as he knew the next two games are must win and if the team lost his reputation would be tarnished and pressure would have been on him.

The next game after the break is a cup semi final against hibs. His record so far is losing every one he has managed. Then straight after is a must win game against Sparta Prague at Ibrox. And as his team has played bad every European game this season anything but a convincing win would have had fans turning on him. The atmosphere at Ibrox is toxic at the best of times.

I thought he pulled up trees at Rangers from what I observed. Looked like Celtic were never going to be challenged after winning what seems like 60 titles in a row! Ranger's ascension may be in part down to Celtic's own problems however, last 3-4 years they haven't seemed quite as invulnerable.....

They say winning the league is the 'easy' part, defending titles is where it's at. Who can forget Chelsea's mid-table capitulation after lifting the title, even Man City struggle to emulate their own standards.

Scottish teams get a rough deal when it comes to Champions League qualification too, so I'd imagine if that fails (and most teams in it will have some pedigree) then the slog of a two-horse domestic title race becomes rather wearisome after a while.

Ultimately, the Scottish league is a farmer's league where managers go to build their standing in the game, or to repair it, a la Brendan Rogers, Martin O'Neill etc. Gerrard's Villa won't set the Premier League alight but they'll be better off for having had him cut his teeth in Scotland. Much like I expect Lampard at Norwich to help him develop as a manager as opposed to being thrust into a top job too early.

Yes the fanless games last year produced many strange results in the premier also, lots more goals in general. I did have a feeling/worry that gerrard may not be the new dalglish or prodigal son for lfc, going to find out really quick how good he is now. I wonder if john terry is still the villa assistant?
Mack 2 seasons ago he kept changing his team every week as seemed he could not decide his best team. Last year with no fans he kept basically same team each week. Ibrox when players make a mistake is poisonous. One bad pass and fans are on players back .

This season the team has not played well. Pressure back on. And he was back to same as 2 seasons ago changing team every week. Okay injuries mean changes. But he started changing defence every week. Even goalkeepers are getting rotated regularly. Sorry but any manager knows you need a settled defence. Yet this year it shows change defence every week and you lose goals. Also seems incapable of changing formation of team.

I thought he pulled up trees at Rangers from what I observed. Looked like Celtic were never going to be challenged after winning what seems like 60 titles in a row! Ranger's ascension may be in part down to Celtic's own problems however, last 3-4 years they haven't seemed quite as invulnerable.....

They say winning the league is the 'easy' part, defending titles is where it's at. Who can forget Chelsea's mid-table capitulation after lifting the title, even Man City struggle to emulate their own standards.

Scottish teams get a rough deal when it comes to Champions League qualification too, so I'd imagine if that fails (and most teams in it will have some pedigree) then the slog of a two-horse domestic title race becomes rather wearisome after a while.

Ultimately, the Scottish league is a farmer's league where managers go to build their standing in the game, or to repair it, a la Brendan Rogers, Martin O'Neill etc. Gerrard's Villa won't set the Premier League alight but they'll be better off for having had him cut his teeth in Scotland. Much like I expect Lampard at Norwich to help him develop as a manager as opposed to being thrust into a top job too early.
Celtic made the mistake of going with Lennon again. That and an aging poor team with no investment. Instead of improving team Celtic went with same players last year with a poor Manager. Rangers dominated league yes but it was a league played in front of empty stadiums. Instead of building on last year the football played by Rangers this year has been terrible.

But every crunch game like cup semi finals etc. when fans were desperate for the first trophy the team bottled it. It is alright saying Gerrard brought them back. But to be honest after getting back into top league and improving squad it was always going to be few years till they improved and most managers would have done the same.

It's rigged against us I tell ya. First Coutinho doesn't want to play for us, and now we're offering players like Axel Witsel £190K p/w in sheer desperation!

Knowing Newcastle, their brave new era will start with a last-minute draw against Brentford tomorrow :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back