20 children and 6 adults massacred at an Elementary School

My heart goes out to the families of these poor children, every child has the right to life, God only knows how the parents must be feeling,

such a tragedy :(

Tragedies like these are bound to bring out sensitive issues like arms control but this is not the right time to discuss this. The US Government should do everything within its power to help the families of the deceased to get back to their normal lives. Others should hopefully debate on this issue when the sorrow is over and we are able to discuss everything on its own merits.

My daughters school called last night with a pre-recorded message. (they do this all the time with activities and such) it was about the shooting, and they have set up councelors for any children that want to talk.

I didn't answer the phone, didn't hear the whole message, but that was the jist of it.

I think this is a good attitude for a school to have, makes me feel a bit better that other schools from other states are doing what they can to help our children.

(I will not get into the gun control debate, as I believe this is the wrong place and time to do so)

According to the Daily Mail this tragedy has also included our Canadian Friends.

Ana Marquez-Greene's father is Canadian jazz musician Jimmy Greene. The distraught father told MailOnline today that he couldn't find the words to express the loss of his daughter Ana.

I can't seem to stop crying-heartbroken for all of us.

By Brandon Kelley

Dear Santa: Send Love to Newtown

Dear Santa,
You know that I write you, around this time each year.
And I know that you're busy with all the toys and reindeer.

This time I'm not asking for gifts or any Christmas snow
I'm writing to you this year cause there's something you should know.

Look through your stack of letters or perhaps use your list
I know you're oh so busy but I really must insist

There's only about 20 names that you should find.
This is my only wish this year, Santa I hope that you don't mind

Those special boys and girls whose names I do not know
They got taken away today so I'm afraid that you won't go

Those kids may not need you but their mommies surely will
Their daddies' hearts need some mending of the holes it's torn in them

So please take my presents and change them into hugs
And throw them down their chimneys with all your Christmas love.

And for the man who did this while, I want to be so cruel
Give some hugs to his family from me, because I'm sure they'll need them too
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Update
Connecticut state police released a list of the names of all the victims in the Newtown school shooting Sunday afternoon.

Newtown gunman forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School

Also a population of just 7 million.Twice the size of tiny wales.

You're comparing the USA (pop 310 million) with Switzerland?

Least when I posted the graphic of 7 countries with less of a death rate by several thousand I also posted they had a comparable total of population.

Albeit 70 million less.Not 303 million.

does,nt matter the size or population.

you really think a nut is going to want to go in a place any place and start shooting it up if they think they will get shot in return?

no they are cowereds. they can only go where they know no one will shoot back.

i read this today and i agree with it.

TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

just thought i would put something good in this thread

.Enlarge Photo.
These Are Some of the Heroes from …

As details emerge about what happened inside Sandy Hook Elementary Friday morning, we're beginning to be able to piece together a narrative, and see who the brave people at the school responsible for preventing any further harm are. If it wasn't for these people -- big and small -- who contributed in different ways, the shooting could have been even worse. Some of the survived and some of them didn't, but what matters is they helped yesterday, and they deserve to be recognized for their contributions:
•Dawn Hochsprung, the school's principal, who was only hired two years ago and was celebrated for her ability to make the school a warm, welcoming place for student and staff alike:

At one of those of morning meetings a few days ago, Ms. Hochsprung realized Connie Malgrande, a speech pathologist, seemed a little sad. She asked Ms. Malgrande into her office, decorated with family pictures and school activities. "She said, come on in and have some candy and let's talk it over," said Ms. Malgrande. "I considered her a friend. I'm going to miss her greatly."
• Mary Sherlach, one of the six adults killed, a school psychologist who was getting ready to retire at the end of the year:

John Button, 57, a friend of Ms. Sherlach’s husband, said Ms. Sherlach was getting ready to retire.

“It was going to be her last year — that’s what she said,” he said. “She loved her job,” he added. “She’s done this for her whole career.” [...]

“It’s ironic,” Mr. Button said. “At a time when kids need help, it was the school psychologist that was sacrificed.”
•An unknown person in the principal's office who turned on the school's loudspeaker:

Someone turned the loudspeaker on, so everyone could hear what was happening in the office.

"You could hear the hysteria that was going on," Varga said. "Whoever did that saved a lot of people. Everyone in the school was listening to the terror that was transpiring."
• Kaitlin Roig, the fourth grade teacher who told her students they would get to go home for christmas, and protected them by barricading themselves in the class bathroom:

When the shooting began, Roig said she quickly got up and closed her classroom door and ushered the children, all aged 6 and 7, into the class bathroom. She helped some climb onto the toilet so they could all fit. Roig said she then pushed a wheeled storage unit in front of the door.

"We all got in there. I locked us in," she said. "I don't know if [the gunman] came in the room... I just told them we have to be absolutely quiet."

From the AP report:

"If they started crying, I would take their face and say it's going to be OK. Show me your smile," she said. "They said, we want to go home for Christmas. Yes, yeah. I just want to hug my mom, things like that, that were just heartbreaking."
• This six-year-old who led his friends out of class after his teacher got shot:

Robert Licata said his 6-year-old son was in class when the gunman burst in and shot the teacher. "That's when my son grabbed a bunch of his friends and ran out the door," he said. "He was very brave. He waited for his friends."
• The custodian who went from classroom-to-classroom warning of a gunman:

A custodian ran around, warning people there was a gunman, Varga said.

"He said, 'Guys! Get down! Hide!'" Varga said. "So he was actually a hero."

Did he survive? The teacher did not know.
• Maryrose Kristopik, the music teacher who barricaded herself and 20 students into a closet. She used big instruments like xylophones to block the door and protect them from Lanza:

Mrs Kristopik said: ‘I did take the children into the closet and talked with them to keep them quiet. I told them that I loved them. I said there was a bad person in the school. I didn't want to tell them anything past that.'

It had previously been reported that there were 15 children in her care, but Mrs Kristopik told MailOnline there were 20 kids in the closet and there wasn’t enough space for them.

One door had several instruments, including big xylophones, blocking it, she said.

Mrs Kristopik said she was standing in front of the other door and holding the handle to keep the children out of harm's way.
• The fourth grader who wanted to use his karate to protect his classmates:

One student claimed to know karate. "It's OK. I'll lead the way out," the student said.
• The teacher who saved this eight-year-old's life:

"I saw some of the bullets going down the hall that I was right next to and then a teacher pulled me into her classroom," the student said.

"It sounded like someone was kicking a door," he said of the bullets.

This is in no way a complete list. Every teacher, student and school official at Sandy Hook Elementary is a hero this morning. And so are the police officials forced to face and investigate the aftermath of the crime, and everyone in the families of yesterday's victims are, too. But these are the anecdotes we have of some of the braver souls of the bunch. The ones who help the rest of us get through tough situations like this one. But, of course, if we happened to miss something we implore you to email us, so we can add their names to the list.

RIP Victoria
You are an angel.

IN HONOR AND MEMORY:
60024_520032278021219_1377528660_n.jpg
This is Victoria. She died a hero She hid her first graders in the cabinets and closets after hearing the gunfire. When the shooter came to her classroom, she told him that her students were in the gym. He then gunned her down and moved on. She saved the lives of all of her students. Please pass this on if you see it. She deserves to be remembered for her bravery.

RIP to the hero and fallen angel.
530514_308571939243898_1772438556_n.jpg

It's because of the way the media reports it.

It's a good point he makes. The media sensationalise it and make "names" out of the perpetrators. This must also "inspire" other losers to a degree IMO. But you can't cap the press. Freedom of speech, remember :rolleyes:

As a parent and a grandparent I am extremely saddened by the tragic loss of lives...

I cannot even begin to fathom what the families of these children are feeling, or the families of the adults who so bravely tried to protect them are feeling. My prayers are with them.

My prayers are also being sent out to the police and rescue workers who had to remove the bodies of those innocents. May you some day find solace from the images that will be forever seared into your memories.

My heart aches and I cry tears of sadness at the senseless loss of life...

I tried to ignore this thread...

I HATE reading shit like this breaks my heart:sob::sob::sob:I have 3 children... the idea of loosing one of them in such a senseless way... leaves me speechless :(

My coalescence and my heart goes out to every parent that is going through this tragedy. I was going to say I cant imagine what you are going through but I could. If I lost one of my children...

I am sooooo soooo sorry for your loss :(

Ok, what the hell is going on???

What an @ this person is making a Death threat after this.
Give this great little Town some Peace.
People in this World we live are sick.

Death threat prompts police response to Newtown church on Sunday

NEWTOWN, Conn.--St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church was evacuated during its noon mass on Sunday due to an anonymous threat made by phone.
A spokesman for the church told Yahoo News that an unidentified male called the rectory, threatening to "kill everyone."
"My friend didn't finish the job," the caller said, according to the church official.
The church alerted state police, who said it was a credible enough threat and ordered the church be evacuated, the spokesman said.
At approximately 12:30 p.m., Monsignor Robert Weiss interrupted a younger priest, "calmly told the parishoners there was a threat," and led the evacuation of approximately 500 people, he said.
Heavily-armed patrolmen and SWAT team members surrounded the church with weapons drawn.
Police formed a perimeter around the church and several adjacent buildings, including an empty education center. The media, which had been barred from attending the mass at St. Rose but were camped out across the street, swarmed to capture footage of the chaotic scene.
Approximately a dozen police and SWAT officers surrounded a white building just west of the church, taking cover behind trees with guns drawn.
A Newtown police officer declared the scene was "clear" at approximately 1:15 p.m., but declined to answer any questions about the threat. At 2 p.m., a Humvee carrying the tactical unit left the church parking lot.
The Newtown Police Department headquarters also declined to comment on why officers rushed to the church.
"No, we don't have any information on that," a hurried police dispatcher told Yahoo News.
At least 10 of the 20 children killed during Friday's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School were parishoners at St. Rose, the church spokesman said, adding that funerals for eight of the children are scheduled to be held there.
It's the second threat in as many days for St. Rose, according the Washington Post. On Saturday, the church displayed posters for parishioners to express their grief. However, an unknown prankster wrote, "This is just round one," on one of them, the pastor said.
By 2:30 p.m., the church had closed its doors and cancelled their evening mass.

I just don't get it BingoT, I really don't.

Even if it was say a teenager, they know right from wrong, they know about death, etc...how could someone think this was "cool" or "funny", or whatever this sick asshole was thinking???

The attack in China is an ongoing occurrence, in 2010 some guy went into a school and killed 8 children with a knife, and a month later, the same day he was executed, another guy did the same thing. A month after that it was a guy with a cleaver in a kindergarten! Then it was a guy with an axe. It's horrific.

I mean sure, if any of those men had guns the death toll would have been higher. But the sheer amount of those incidents happening in China is disturbing. After all those happened in 2010-2011, the government put security at schools and it stopped for awhile, but there must have been 6 or 7 of those same type of attacks before the one on Friday.

I remember when I first read about it and how the authorities were saying they were concerned about media coverage spurring on copycat crimes - it seemed so unreal. How could anyone not just be outraged?

Then you have sick Fu*ks like this guy calling in bomb threats. :mad:

I wouldn't discount the second threat until it has been investigated. It could be someone the first killer knew or another completely unrelated pyscho who is just as dangerous and wants to continue where the first one left off.

It's possible it was just a prank but you just never know.

The words scrolling across Facebook timelines and twitter posts attributed to Morgan Freeman concerning the media's involvement with the Newtown, Conn. shooting are misattributed according to the actor's spokesperson, a source reported.

"He did not write nor release this statement," the spokesperson said, according to OnTheRedCarpet.com. "To date he had not released any statement (about the shooting)."

Freeman has been a persistent source for Internet hoaxes this year. Several times in 2012, reports of Freeman's death -- "Morgan Freeman died 2012" -- have exploded in the web and via social media, including Facebook and Twitter. Reports of Freeman's death are, as Mark Twain once said, greatly exaggerated.

Now there's pretend statements? Grrrrrrr

President Obama comes here to Connecticut.

President Obama is headed back to the White House after delivering a speech during the interfaith vigil Sunday evening.

NEWTOWN, CT (WFSB) -
President Barack Obama told Gov. Dannel P. Malloy that Friday was the worst day of his presidency, which was the same day a gunman walked into the Sandy Hook Elementary School and shot and killed 20 children and six adults.

On Sunday afternoon, Obama met with the families who lost someone in the shooting and thanked the first responders who went to the scene. He took pictures with families and their children and offered his condolences to all that had suffered a loss.

"We can't tolerate this anymore, these tragedies must end," Obama said during an interfaith vigil inside the auditorium of the Newtown High School Sunday evening.

The 90-minute vigil included several prayers, readings and speeches by religious leaders and local leaders.

The Rev. Matt Crebbin explained why all the clergy and politicians sat with those who attended the event.

"We are in this together," he said.

Crebbin said he and the other clergy members were "here for all of Newtown."

"We needed this," he said. "We needed to be together."

A round of applause was given for the first responders as they entered the Newtown High School auditorium.

At one point, the president recited the names of all 20 children killed in the Newtown school shooting.

Moment of silence for Sandy Hook school victims to be observed exactly one week after shooting.
At 9:30 a.m. EST Friday December 21st.
Please join in on Friday.
Thank You All.
I will ring the bell 26 times to honor the victims.
RIP & God Bless
~T~

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back