What's your obsession?

just play

closed account
I feel like doing a fun thread. I wanna laugh, I wanna enjoy all the members company....

What's your obsession? Or past obsession? Sports, music, tv shows...etc...Share stories, share obsessions, whatever floats your boat, I will share some funny stories later on in the thread. :cool:

When I was in my 20's I was obsessed with a "hair band", my friends and I would go see them in concert as much as we could, and even met them.

Now in my early 40's, my obsessions changed, haha. I live in Mass, New England, so I am of course born into an obsession with the Boston Red Sox. We watch every game they play, well except last year (only red sox fans will get that one) my daughter (age 11) knows all the members by name. My other sports obsession is Tennis, I LOVE IT!!! I dare say (sorry New Englanders ;) ) more than Red Sox. There are 4 big events, I even set my alarm to wake up at 3am or 5am, depending where they are playing.

I have a tv obsession as well, I NEVER EVER miss "Nashville", IMO it's the best new show on. Thankfully it got picked up for another season. I must stress to people who have never seen it, watch it once, you will be hooked. :D

Onto something different...I have been thiking of picking up a guitar, it seems like fun, the only thing is, I'm not very musical. I can play one or two songs on the piano, I have played drums for fun before..but a guitar seems like it's hard to learn. The thing with me is I get very bored, very easily. I would hate to spend money on a guitar, try to learn it, just to get frustrated. And, I cannot sing for the life of me. :laugh:

So...obsessed people...join in...lets have some fun.

I feel like doing a fun thread. I wanna laugh, I wanna enjoy all the members company....

What's your obsession? Or past obsession? Sports, music, tv shows...etc...Share stories, share obsessions, whatever floats your boat, I will share some funny stories later on in the thread. :cool:

When I was in my 20's I was obsessed with a "hair band", my friends and I would go see them in concert as much as we could, and even met them.

Now in my early 40's, my obsessions changed, haha. I live in Mass, New England, so I am of course born into an obsession with the Boston Red Sox. We watch every game they play, well except last year (only red sox fans will get that one) my daughter (age 11) knows all the members by name. My other sports obsession is Tennis, I LOVE IT!!! I dare say (sorry New Englanders ;) ) more than Red Sox. There are 4 big events, I even set my alarm to wake up at 3am or 5am, depending where they are playing.

I have a tv obsession as well, I NEVER EVER miss "Nashville", IMO it's the best new show on. Thankfully it got picked up for another season. I must stress to people who have never seen it, watch it once, you will be hooked. :D

Onto something different...I have been thiking of picking up a guitar, it seems like fun, the only thing is, I'm not very musical. I can play one or two songs on the piano, I have played drums for fun before..but a guitar seems like it's hard to learn. The thing with me is I get very bored, very easily. I would hate to spend money on a guitar, try to learn it, just to get frustrated. And, I cannot sing for the life of me. :laugh:

Lol travelling to football (soccer) matches in the late 80's when I was young and 'immortal' and seeing how close I could get to getting my head kicked in, the adrenaline rush of getting chased or being the chaser, chanting at games that would have every lefty-pinko-liberal nowadays squirming in their Poundland panties and result in mass arrests. In between, like you, watching live rock music, Reading, Donington etc.

I advise you to do a Bryan Adams and buy a guitar 'at the 5-and-dime' because it would be a bad move to spend more than a few pounds/bucks on anything other than a cheap acoustic. If you haven't got the knack/feel/ear for it you will drop it in a few days. If you have, get a Strat copy with headphones and spend a bit more later.

I'm hooked on Egyptology (not because I played Cleopatra lol...) and am always scouring all the fringe channels like Discovery/Nat Geo/Doc etc. for programmes to record and watch in my own time. Probably comes (being a tall bloke) from twatting my head on the passageway in the Great Pyramid walking up to the ante-chamber a few years back - never got over it.

do you want the truth? watching bus/coach videos on YouTube. sad eh? also got an obsession with CM and having bbqs round my mate dazs house trying out different marinades and drinking lots of SOL lager (y)

Atlanta Braves baseball in the summer - watch it every day (that they play). Used to have to listen to the games on the radio before the days of fifty-leveny channels 'and nothing on' TV... in the fall, Alabama football (Rollll Tide!) on TV. We're old and no longer like crowds, or insanely overpriced cokes and snacks, or spending an hour searching for a parking spot - only to end up walking for blocks.... :rolleyes: So big screen HD TV and homemade popcorn is good for games. :)

"David".............. my honey of almost 22 years!

Was he looking over your shoulder when you typed that?? LOL How sweet!

One of my past obsessions... collecting Tarot cards. I've still got a jillion decks of 'em... ought to be listing them on eBay, but I'd just be losing money....

Lol travelling to football (soccer) matches in the late 80's when I was young and 'immortal' and seeing how close I could get to getting my head kicked in, the adrenaline rush of getting chased or being the chaser, chanting at games that would have every lefty-pinko-liberal nowadays squirming in their Poundland panties and result in mass arrests. In between, like you, watching live rock music, Reading, Donington etc.

I advise you to do a Bryan Adams and buy a guitar 'at the 5-and-dime' because it would be a bad move to spend more than a few pounds/bucks on anything other than a cheap acoustic. If you haven't got the knack/feel/ear for it you will drop it in a few days. If you have, get a Strat copy with headphones and spend a bit more later.

Hahaha, we would travel around Mass and NY to find rock city bands. Slept with a few members :eek2: hey, I was young and hot, don't judge me. :p

That's what I was thinking about the guitar, tag sale or used store. But who will sing? Can you play a guitar and not sing? Kinda boring. :mad:

Guitar

Hi Just Play I too have always want to learn to play the guitar. About 5 months ago I started searching ebay for guitars. I found a really good buy and got an Ibanez acoustic guitar for $75.00 brand new this guitar sells for about $400.00 Since I didn't know how to even tune a guitar I also bought an electronic tuner, which turn out to be a great investment. That sold for $10.00 brand new. I also bought DVD on how to play for $30.00 I can now play a couple songs like Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Hardest part about learning is your finger tips will hurt until you build calluses on them. I will never play in front of an audience but I use it to occupy my time as I enjoy music. Pick up a guitar and have some fun. By the way I am 56 years old and it has made life more enjoyable. Good luck and have fun.

My obsession is with True Blood. I love all the characters and the plots don't matter...lol Would love to meet Eric!! My sister, granddaughter and I call each other to make sure we don't miss it on Sunday night. The new season starts back in June...whoohoo!!

My other vice is/was growing roses and growing them from cuttings. I had two big bushes that I grew from cuttings and they just died in the last six months..had them over 10 years, some sort of fungus took over and I couldn't save them. I now have one left that was resistant so this weekend I will be putting in about 15 or twenty...love to work in the yard.

Ummm... I'm to vain. I get that all the time. Hmmm video games. I spend much more time playing on my PS3 than I should (or my PS2 or my Gamecube or my Xbox or my Nintendo Wii). I'm obsessed with playing Monopoly at the moment. I also just downloaded the newest Hit Man off the PS3 Network.

I also have a bit of an obsession with the CM forum. I don't even play anymore and I still check this forum about two-three times a day.

Nerd and Proud :)

Some of you already know this about me, but I am a teeny tiny bit obsessed with all things Star Wars and will be at the convention in Germany in July of course. I tried to post what I will be wearing here... but it exceeds my file size limit :(.. so I made it my new profile picture. (yes, that's me)

May the force be with you all :D

I don't have an obsession. That's sad. :( I know what Saras is though! :eek2:

@JP Ray is a really good guitar player, and one thing he tells people who are learning to play is to buy a decent guitar when you're trying to learn to play. If you have a crappy guitar you'll sound bad even if you're improving and you'll get frustrated and give up.

Surfing - My Favorite Obsession

Waking up predawn to surf before work!!!
Still at it and for almost 20 years. It's not that I'm good at it or something it just that I feel weak and cranky if there are good waves and I not at the sea to surf them.
I spend a lot of $$$ on it too - new surf boards every 6 months or so and new wet suit about every year. Not to mention wax, trunks, rush guards etc.
Getting the smile out of my face after a good session - PRICELESS!!!

:lolup: @ Iano!

Great outfit mate.

@ justplay that is a fun thread, hope it grows into a massive outing:)

Mimi could start hanging out with Andy because he is also obsessed with Everton:)

Lots of guitar fans here, means we can all form one big band of happy semi-musicians, would be something like band-aid,
we could then paste a donate button to the video we make of it, and give all the money to a good cause (which can be argued about) and to truly represent all obsessions currently posted, and the ones to be posted in the future, we could be wearing surfing suits, one or two Everton shirts, a Darth Vader helmet and some Egyptian robes: you catch my drift:)

On a serious note concerning the learning to play a guitar, i would say there are arguments for either a cheap one or a quality guitar:

If you learn to play on a crappy one, you'll sound even better on a good one, but indeed a fine guitar from the start may be more inspiring, but it does in the end all come down to perseverance, you have to keep practicing, and from my own experience, i can admit that i was fooling around on my own for about 2 years and ended up throwing the guitar across the room out of sheer frustration, more or less every agonizing false note i produced.

I finally started making progress when i started "jamming" with others, and turning on really good music really loud, and try to produce accompanying sounds:)
Still am just below moderate, but i enjoy a bit of playing every now and then!

Now to my own obsession, that has got to be women with collar-like things around their necks:oops:

Whenever i see a pretty lady, that has some jewelry or gadget around her neck, i can't help but peer at her: i'm sure i have all kinds of complexions that Freud and Sartre could discuss at great length, i just know it turns me on!

I also feel slightly frustrated about it, since most of the times peer at them is all i can do :D

I also am slightly obsessed with gambling..:rolleyes:

Something i always wanted to do and still never tried is delta-flight (hang-glider).
I figure thats the closest thing to actually flying like a bird..
I once made an attempt to plan my first flight, but the cost of the equipment turned me off at that time..
I am still gonna do it though!

Well - more Everton fans as well! That's me, Andy, Mimi so far!

I remember my first arrest, at Highbury in 1987 when Everton won 1-0 against A*****l with Adrian Heath scoring the winning goal, the coppers had a radio on so I heard it in the cell before they let me out at about 5pm. Went on to win the league that year...:D

Went to Rotterdam as a young teenager in 1985 to see the Cup Winners' Cup Final when we beat Rapid Vienna 3-1.

Saw the first time Wimbledon ever played at Goodison when we won 3-0, and saw Gascoignes first visit there when he was at Newcastle and we beat them 4-0. Seen all the good ones score, Sharp, Heath, Beardsley, Lineker, Ferguson, Cottee and McCall.

Ironically, never seen a Merseyside derby.........:(

Shoe's...... Shoe's.......... Shoe's , I hate to admit that I own 213 pairs of shoes , everything from high end to flip flops , its an obsession I know , need help:D

On another note I do give to shoes for souls , which in turn I buy more.......................HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

Shoe's...... Shoe's.......... Shoe's , I hate to admit that I own 213 pairs of shoes , everything from high end to flip flops , its an obsession I know , need help:D

On another note I do give to shoes for souls , which in turn I buy more.......................HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

Oh, so you're a fan of Imelda Marcos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back