What's Ya Weather At?

Huge grass fire tonight in Edinburgh and another in Dartmoor. Must be unusual for February :oops:

image.jpg

I think the marvel here in the UK at present is that this time last year we were on the cusp of a gonad-shrivelling cold spell which eventually broke a few March low-temperature records.
So to you the marvel for you now is what the temp was at this given time last year was after the year after had passed out rather than what the effect on this year could be?
Is there some sort of disconnect here or is it just me?

Never seen weather like this in Feb, you would think this was mid summer, I was walking about in a T-Shirt

p4lua.jpg

This was the view of the pier on Wednesday here

2q9m4uf.jpg

This is the same a year ago give or take a day or so

16ljtdw.jpg
I was stood almost at that exact spot on monday Col early morning and it was like tee-shirt weather

oooo did you come to the dark side :) I was down having a coffee just after 9 on Monday morning, we could have walked past each other lol
Its highly likely. I was finished what I was there for by just after 9am. There was not even a hint of a breeze which is very unseasonal. It was too early for cheesy chips though :p

Its highly likely. I was finished what I was there for by just after 9am. There was not even a hint of a breeze which is very unseasonal. It was too early for cheesy chips though :p

It's NEVER too early for cheesy chips :)
I agree, it was extremely warm the first part of the week, you can see from the sea theres no wind at all, they were taken Weds I think, but Monday and Tuesday were just as warm. Doesn't seem too bad today either but not as warm, was cold yesterday though.

Yeah, been lovely here too, a week or more of virtually unbroken warm sunshine, apparently even sunny in Scotland today too. Due to a very dry late winter and spring, have had to water the fresh lawn I planted a few weeks ago, every couple of days. :thumbsup:
Reminds me, kids are after a new cat....

glorious spring day yesterday - birds chirping, sun beaming
then wake to this :eek2:

View attachment 106831 View attachment 106832

I went into my bathroom this morning and my window is a blurry one so you cant see in or out but all I could see was white. Im like nooo. I open the window and for the love of god all that snow over night. So depressing. I was just outside in a tshirt the other day picking up sticks that have fallen on my grass and taking some of my vegetable plants outside to get some sun. Now I wake up to this :eek2:

I went into my bathroom this morning and my window is a blurry one so you cant see in or out but all I could see was white. Im like nooo. I open the window and for the love of god all that snow over night. So depressing. I was just outside in a tshirt the other day picking up sticks that have fallen on my grass and taking some of my vegetable plants outside to get some sun. Now I wake up to this :eek2:
It's ok, you've got your brave leader Justin Trudeaux's words to warm your heart! And when you're done listening to his Peoplekind speech, just kick back, put your feet up, and slap on some Celine Dion :D

It's ok, you've got your brave leader Justin Trudeaux's words to warm your heart! And when you're done listening to his Peoplekind speech, just kick back, put your feet up, and slap on some Celine Dion :D

Im having a hard time reading this post because I have just decided I am no longer a female and I shall now be known as a dinosaur. I havent figured out which one yet but I will let you all know once I do. My employer better accept this too or else I will sue them and tweet about it.

Im having a hard time reading this post because I have just decided I am no longer a female and I shall now be known as a dinosaur. I havent figured out which one yet but I will let you all know once I do. My employer better accept this too or else I will sue them and tweet about it.
My partner informed me earlier of what Iragender means, amongst others. Always good to keep in the loop.

I think given your circumstances, Iragender's a good fit for you today :eek2::p

I had to go look it up and now I'm angry.

A couple nights ago I was out on the ebike (don't judge, its an emmo monster ebike lol) and was out in the middle of nowhere and got lost. Came down pelting freezing rain, took me ages to get home.
Near got frostbite, came home, fingers burnt so bad thought I had frostbite, I was crying, hurt so bloody bad

Today? 19 degrees, glorious sun, blue skies, tees and shorts weather, sweating like a stuck piggie, people out BBQing down the street, playing in yards, like it's mid summer

Canadian weather :p

Spring in full effect, glorious day of 19 degrees hottest so far this year, good time to attack some gardening, epecially as lots of called days for rain
well...that didnt last :eek2:

20190427_055456_resized.jpg

well, after a craptacularly long winter, a spring almost entirely of rain and cold, finally into a series of beautiful, sunny days

beaches will still be cold as Hell for any swimming, but deffo glorious for days out and nighttime bonfires

now, if only the bajillion mosquitoes would ef off somewhere and die :p

60mm of rain has fallen here in 36 hrs, with more to come later today and tonight. The ducks are loving it :cool:

Oh and the max temp was about 10c yesterday. Welcome to June in the UK :laugh:

60mm of rain has fallen here in 36 hrs, with more to come later today and tonight. The ducks are loving it :cool:

Oh and the max temp was about 10c yesterday. Welcome to June in the UK :laugh:
Same here - I cannot recall a June as shit as this one. Haven't seen the sun for 3 days now, almost continuous rain and my min-max recorded a peak of 10.6c yesterday, what you'd expect in March lol. In the south and east of England the farmers are happy as they have had almost drought conditions so far this year, but don't think about this time last year when we'd had about 1 rainy day since the beginning of May and the grass was brown and temperatures in the high twenties to low thirties ho-ho...

It's the freak position of the jet stream, it's been dire in France and Northern Spain and other parts of Western Europe too. :(

We had pathetic May full of rain and clouds here, almost every day. But now it's finally summer with 28-30+ woohoooooo

The only thing we're missing now is sea :laugh:

Same here - I cannot recall a June as shit as this one. Haven't seen the sun for 3 days now, almost continuous rain and my min-max recorded a peak of 10.6c yesterday, what you'd expect in March lol. In the south and east of England the farmers are happy as they have had almost drought conditions so far this year, but don't think about this time last year when we'd had about 1 rainy day since the beginning of May and the grass was brown and temperatures in the high twenties to low thirties ho-ho...

It's the freak position of the jet stream, it's been dire in France and Northern Spain and other parts of Western Europe too. :(

It's thought to be linked to solar activity. There appears to be some link between extended solar minimums and a more meridional jet stream. When the jet stream is meridional in nature, you see it gain amplitude. This means areas of high and low pressure can become stuck in any one place for extended periods.

The last minimum occurred around the turn of the decade- which saw us achieve our second coldest December ever recorded and coldest winter for 30 years.

Excellent video by Alex Deakin here explaining the vagaries in forecasting the UK weather and the conundrum they face predicting the potentially 'interesting' weather next week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back