Veterans Day

In a small relation to this. Sainsbury's (a supermarket brand in the UK) has released their Christmas advert for this year and it is very poignant taking into account the 100th anniversary of World War I beginning. Well worth a watch. It has been done in such a respectful way too.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

My great uncle Charlie served in World War I and sadly died. He wrote a letter on the day of his death complaining about toothache. My grandfather and his brothers also served in World War II. My grandfather was based in Florida in the RAF and his two brothers were navy officers in the Atlantic. All survived but had some tales to tell afterwards.

War should be fought by politicians not civilians.

Quality production and a sensitive, timely reminder about youth and wars.

And only 21 years later they were at each throats again in WW2 despite the horrors of WW1 and the millions of young lives squandered by all the nations involved.

My grandfather and my father and uncles fought in these two wars in various theatres of operations and thankfully survived, but as you say they had to endure some pretty terrible experiences.

Thanks for posting that vid.

BTW, I was in London on business and holiday recently and went to see the stunning ceramic poppy display at the Tower of London. It was perhaps only three quarters complete at that point (there are over 888,000 poppies planted in a dense field of red in the Tower moat) but still extremely moving. There were thousands of spectators, yet a respectful atmosphere and silence fitting for such a tribute to the fallen. Something I will always remember.

Yeah, I'm gutted I couldn't get to London to check them out. They looked glorious and, as you said, appear to have been given the respect they deserve by visitors. There was a campaign to keep them there for a year but it looks like they've started removing them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back