UK Conservative Party Leadership Election

The fact is, that woman is a bone-idle fucker who if it can't be pulled out of a packet/can/bottle/box or ordered in, is too lazy to even try cooking something herself as it would encroach in to her TV viewing and snacking time, never mind the kids who are going to suffer later.

She's just a bad example of a genuine problem. You can feed a whole family for £5 on cheap, bland, beige Iceland shit with not a vegetable in sight and scarcely a finger lifted. Providing a meal from scratch that doesn't involve pasta, has some vitamin content and good quality meat protein, and you're looking at double that as well as time having to cook it all.

Unfortunately this is the "quick fix" route than even time-poor, cash-poor working folk are going down.

It should be why are hungry poor people overweight?

If a child has no money or not enough routinely on his school dinner account then they should call the parents in, and you'll probably find sky subscriptions, ciggies, booze, fast food deliveries, mobile phone contracts etc... are getting priority.

If not and better budgeting wouldn't make a difference then of course the child should be considered for free school meals, in my day all the single parent children automatically got free dinner tickets; if two parents can't put aside enough money for a daily school meal or packed lunch then something has gone awry.

Perhaps in the cost of living crisis coming, with the sky high energy bills if you put the heating on, a temporary switch to free or half price meals for all children would be a sensible proposal.
Can't be bothered checking but what are the 'Free' (well, nothing's free but that's what they call them) School Meals position in England? Scotland was, not sure if it's finished/implemented yet, rolling it out from P1-P7: calls to extend it into secondary schools

Talking to someone in that area, if LA's were fully funded for it and part of the point they made was that the cost had rocketed (not just due to todays prices as this was a few years ago) because part of offering that had to involve more fresh food/more nutritious etc

She's just a bad example of a genuine problem. You can feed a whole family for £5 on cheap, bland, beige Iceland shit with not a vegetable in sight and scarcely a finger lifted. Providing a meal from scratch that doesn't involve pasta, has some vitamin content and good quality meat protein, and you're looking at double that as well as time having to cook it all.

Unfortunately this is the "quick fix" route than even time-poor, cash-poor working folk are going down.
Yes, but she clearly CAN afford a tenner a day when you see the junk crammed into the cupboard and that by her own volition orders in multiple takeaways. For example a roast or boiled chicken breast each, bit of gravy, 2kg of mashed spuds and a head of broccoli for 3 people costs at supermarket prices about £5. Protein, vitamin C, vegetables etc. for about £1.70 each. But having little fat and burning a few calories mashing the spuds would put her off right away and it doesn't have chocolate on it. Mind you, roasting the chicken breast and boiling the spuds/broccoli would likely cost £47.98 in gas/leccy.

But the cream cakes are reduced from £2.50 to £1.70, that's a 1 person breakfast and pre lunch snack sorted for just over a fiver, no cooking involved! (I know someone who has trouble getting out of bed, who consistantly eats like this).

This is entirely correct.

Buying decent fresh ingredients can be rather pricy and needs (ideally) to be done on the day, or maybe the day before (i.e. planning, time allocation, journey etc). Then you've got prep-time, this can be non-trivial, and then cooking, which can require multiple pans, maybe an oven on, boiling a kettle, all the washing up etc - this all takes (very expensive) energy as well as more time.

Also, not everyone knows how to cook with multiple raw/fresh ingredients, I've worked in a kitchen as a second chef (many years ago now!) so I know my way around this stuff and how to do it properly, how to prepare veggies and raw ingredients, meats etc. Many people do not, for whatever reason, they've simply never learned.

I like to knock up a decent meal for the family from nice fresh ingredients at the weekend, but I do it then because I have the time for it, time to do the shopping, time for the prep, time for the cooking, time for the clean up etc, and it's not cheap either, you could certainly get a bag of Iceland stuff for a lot cheaper, 'prepare' it a lot easier, quicker and cheaper (far less energy and hot water use), and everyone's still fed at the end of it.

We live in a country where people turn down raw stuff from food banks because they can't afford to cook it.

dunover's meal of chicken, potatoes and broccoli doesn't sound very appealing (and I don't know where he's getting those prices from), you're going to need herbs and spices, a bit more variety in the veg, what is the chicken being served with in terms of a sauce or whatever? It all adds up. And none of that stuff is cooking itself.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

We really, really need to stop blaming poor people for this stuff, especially when the privatised utilities are syphoning TENS OF BILLIONS OF POUNDS out of the pockets of the British people with their endless government-endorsed larceny.

The baddie here isn't the lass on benefits with stuff in her cupboards that looks 'a bit too expensive'.

As the late, great Terry Pratchett put it, as to why being poor is expensive:

1661951796759.png

Can't be bothered checking but what are the 'Free' (well, nothing's free but that's what they call them) School Meals position in England? Scotland was, not sure if it's finished/implemented yet, rolling it out from P1-P7: calls to extend it into secondary schools

Talking to someone in that area, if LA's were fully funded for it and part of the point they made was that the cost had rocketed (not just due to todays prices as this was a few years ago) because part of offering that had to involve more fresh food/more nutritious etc

Not sure really, probably linked to housing/tax benefit, if you're in receipt of that then free school meals for nippers.

Just buy way of comparison I saw this yesterday on twitter, I wouldn't begrudge MPs and staff discounted fine food if they were doing a good job of running things but I remain to be convinced.

1661952092155.png

Buying decent fresh ingredients can be rather pricy and needs (ideally) to be done on the day, or maybe the day before (i.e. planning, time allocation, journey etc). Then you've got prep-time, this can be non-trivial, and then cooking, which can require multiple pans, maybe an oven on, boiling a kettle, all the washing up etc - this all takes (very expensive) energy as well as more time.

Also, not everyone knows how to cook with multiple raw/fresh ingredients, I've worked in a kitchen as a second chef (many years ago now!) so I know my way around this stuff and how to do it properly, how to prepare veggies and raw ingredients, meats etc. Many people do not, for whatever reason, they've simply never learned.

I like to knock up a decent meal for the family from nice fresh ingredients at the weekend, but I do it then because I have the time for it, time to do the shopping, time for the prep, time for the cooking, time for the clean up etc, and it's not cheap either, you could certainly get a bag of Iceland stuff for a lot cheaper, 'prepare' it a lot easier, quicker and cheaper (far less energy and hot water use), and everyone's still fed at the end of it.

We live in a country where people turn down raw stuff from food banks because they can't afford to cook it.

dunover's meal of chicken, potatoes and broccoli doesn't sound very appealing (and I don't know where he's getting those prices from), you're going to need herbs and spices, a bit more variety in the veg, what is the chicken being served with in terms of a sauce or whatever? It all adds up. And none of that stuff is cooking itself.

By the sounds of it I think we need a Degsy does dinner utube channel! :):laugh:

Maybe he'll wrap his fish and chips up in the Guardian newspaper, old school?

Personally, it's of better use in the bin but, hey, needs must :p

As an ecologically sound lefty, I of course read the digital editions of The Guardian.

A head of broccoli 59p in my local Morrisons. 5kg spuds £1.69. Bag of 5 chicken breasts frozen, £3.99 (80p each). Using the whole head of broccoli, say half the spuds and 3 chicken breast is actually £3.84 for 3 not including any gravy granules or say a bit of marge added to the spuds. Call it £4.25 at the worst. Morrisons, that's where my figures come from. It's a healthy meal, nutritious, filling and is cheap and even your uneducated benefits recipient couldn't get it fucking wrong! It's not haute cuisine for fuck's sake. The spuds/broccoli can be boiled for cheap in a steamer or 2-tray pressure pan for a few pence. The chicken in an air fryer in 20 minutes. And DON'T DARE say to me those utensils (about £100-£180 in total) are out of reach for people that can have huge TV's, mobile phones, £100 trainers and order fucking takeaways!

It might be a basic 'school meal' type of dinner but WTF do you expect on benefits? Parma ham entree, smoked salmon and asparagus tips under dessicated coconut & avocado sauce for main with luxury madagascan vanilla pod clotted ice cream & Belgian chocolate shavings for afters?

Every benefits house has some ketchup, just squirt that sodding stuff over it if it's a bit bland...

So @ChopleyIOM there's the prices as of 10 days ago as I bought ALL those items, checkable facts (which you aren't usually familiar with) to prove that the meal I suggested COULD be made for less than a fiver, in fact I well overestimated it initially. So if colossal Caroline and her brats tubby Tommy and lardy Laura insist on stuffing themselves with Cheetos, tubs of neapolitan, Iceland burgers, chocolate digestives and takeaways and then have the fucking audacity to blubber when their state handouts mean one less Just Eat app use per weekend then they can piss-off.

Last edited:
A head of broccoli 59p in my local Morrisons. 5kg spuds £1.69. Bag of 5 chicken breasts frozen, £3.99 (80p each). Using the whole head of broccoli, say half the spuds and 3 chicken breast is actually £3.84 for 3 not including any gravy granules or say a bit of marge added to the spuds. Call it £4.25 at the worst. Morrisons, that's where my figures come from. It's a healthy meal, nutritious, filling and is cheap and even your uneducated benefits recipient couldn't get it fucking wrong! It's not haute cuisine for fuck's sake. The spuds/broccoli can be boiled for cheap in a steamer or 2-tray pressure pan for a few pence. The chicken in an air fryer in 20 minutes. And DON'T DARE say to me those utensils (about £100-£180 in total) are out of reach for people that can have huge TV's, mobile phones, £100 trainers and order fucking takeaways!

It might be a basic 'school meal' type of dinner but WTF do you expect on benefits? Parma ham entree, smoked salmon and asparagus tips under dessicated coconut & avocado sauce for main with luxury madagascan vanilla pod clotted ice cream & Belgian chocolate shavings for afters?

Every benefits house has some ketchup, just squirt that sodding stuff over it if it's a bit bland...
To be fair a lot of folk would want someone in to make it for them: that used to others picking up the tab 🤭

Not sure really, probably linked to housing/tax benefit, if you're in receipt of that then free school meals for nippers.

Just buy way of comparison I saw this yesterday on twitter, I wouldn't begrudge MPs and staff discounted fine food if they were doing a good job of running things but I remain to be convinced.

View attachment 171901
Does that not make you want to bloody scream.

Fine dining for under 7 quid in London. Have a late leisurely lunch of that, and all you need to do on the evening is rustle up a sandwich.

All their perks should be taken away, and pay should be perfoance- related. It's not like we've attracted quality candidates by dishing out all those goodies, is it.

Johnson's Parthian shot, after having an entire summer fucking around at the taxpayer's expense instead of doing any actual Prime Ministering, is almost literally 'Yeah it's going to be really shit and you'll all have to just live with it, suckers'.

Johnson's Parthian shot, after having an entire summer fucking around at the taxpayer's expense instead of doing any actual Prime Ministering, is almost literally 'Yeah it's going to be really shit and you'll all have to just live with it, suckers'.

Sick of his voice now, I couldn't understand why the tories wanted to get rid, but if this cost of living crisis/depression is as bad as people are predicting, then bojo is the last person you want fronting the govt. Truss is not posh in the same priviledged way bojo is, that will benefit the conservatives, or at least not damage them for being too much like out of touch toffs.

Sorry but he fucked up the whole country with nearly a two year lockdown, maybe a short one was required, a month or so to get better prepared. The economy was already in a delicate condition, lockdown was like putting somebody into an assisted coma for two years and then expecting them to go back to normal when they wake up.

Probably in the end we will be alright here, but was it all necessary, and there will be victims, as there was in the lockdown with suspected cancer patients made to wait and wait to get seen as the health response to the virus was prioritised within hospitals etc..

Christ almighty.

Johnson putting in a strong performance on his farewell tour. Has dunvoer been writing his lines? You could cook the broccoli in the kettle!

Sick of his voice now, I couldn't understand why the tories wanted to get rid, but if this cost of living crisis/depression is as bad as people are predicting, then bojo is the last person you want fronting the govt. Truss is not posh in the same priviledged way bojo is, that will benefit the conservatives, or at least not damage them for being too much like out of touch toffs.

Sorry but he fucked up the whole country with nearly a two year lockdown, maybe a short one was required, a month or so to get better prepared. The economy was already in a delicate condition, lockdown was like putting somebody into an assisted coma for two years and then expecting them to go back to normal when they wake up.

Probably in the end we will be alright here, but was it all necessary, and there will be victims, as there was in the lockdown with suspected cancer patients made to wait and wait to get seen as the health response to the virus was prioritised within hospitals etc..

The thing is mack, this is all the same sort of stuff people were coming out with about Johnson back when Theresa May was being prepared for transportation to the knackers yard.

Johnson could 'reach the part other politicians couldn't reach' and he was 'optimistic' and he 'believed in Britain' and he was a 'great communicator' and he would 'give the EU a bloody nose' and all that crap - yet here we are less than three years since the last general election and he's on his way out, labelled as the UK's worst ever Prime Minister.

Truss will go down in flames just the same way, especially if she even remotely enacts half the claptrap she's been talking about doing. Pencil it in now, September 2024 (if not earlier), Truss will be ready for the political scrapheap. The problem isn't the leader, the problem is the party and its policies.

The thing is mack, this is all the same sort of stuff people were coming out with about Johnson back when Theresa May was being prepared for transportation to the knackers yard.

Johnson could 'reach the part other politicians couldn't reach' and he was 'optimistic' and he 'believed in Britain' and he was a 'great communicator' and he would 'give the EU a bloody nose' and all that crap - yet here we are less than three years since the last general election and he's on his way out, labelled as the UK's worst ever Prime Minister.

Truss will go down in flames just the same way, especially if she even remotely enacts half the claptrap she's been talking about doing. Pencil it in now, September 2024 (if not earlier), Truss will be ready for the political scrapheap. The problem isn't the leader, the problem is the party and its policies.

Sorry Chop but for me Labour are not the solution. Their priority is identity politics, and all the machinations from that.

And who you vote for is about what they prioritise, there is a better chance the conservatives can adjust to what is required to improve things than Labour, maybe there could be a middle way.

But the libdems and labour, given a free hand, would have us back in to the undemocratic EU, above all else, they're driven by an ideological mindset rather than common sense when it comes to governing. That's not to say the conservatives don't have theirs too, but you only need to look at labour led councils compared to conservative ones, and compare the performance on the core services, labour never excel, libdems do better.

What's he talking about, my kettle is a superfast 2kw one, doesn't save me money compared to a slower 1kw kettle ?

Now be fair mack, we can't expect the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to understand things that the rest of us learned studying GCSE Physics.

Sorry Chop but for me Labour are not the solution. Their priority is identity politics, and all the machinations from that.

And who you vote for is about what they prioritise, there is a better chance the conservatives can adjust to what is required to improve things than Labour, maybe there could be a middle way.

But the libdems and labour, given a free hand, would have us back in to the undemocratic EU, above all else, they're driven by an ideological mindset rather than common sense when it comes to governing. That's not to say the conservatives don't have theirs too, but you only need to look at labour led councils compared to conservative ones, and compare the performance on the core services, labour never excel, libdems do better.

Labour are the only political party with a solid policy proposal on the table to get the people of the UK through the winter, windfall tax on the energy companies to pay to fix everyone's energy bills as they are now, saving the average household thousands of pounds.

Truss is the one banging the ideological 'profits are not evil' drum, even as we go into a winter where people are literally going to freeze to death in the sixth richest economy in the world, as UK energy companies make tens of billions of pounds in profits, extracted directly from the pockets of the people and businesses of the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back