Tyson/Douglas 20 yrs ago today. You remember where you were?

coloradobuff

Dormant Account
I cant believe tyson/douglas was 20 years ago today..My how time flies..

You remember where you were when it happened?

I was at friends place and we couldnt believe what was going on, and couldnt believe how quiet the fans in tokyo were during the whole fight.

later.

I cant believe tyson/douglas was 20 years ago today..My how time flies..

You remember where you were when it happened?

I was at friends place and we couldnt believe what was going on, and couldnt believe how quiet the fans in tokyo were during the whole fight.

later.
yep.......a surreal moment!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::D:D:eek::eek:

Mike Tyson vs. James (Buster) Douglas
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
Jump to: navigation, search
1990-02-11 : Mike Tyson 220lbs lost to James Buster Douglas 231lbs by KO in round 10 of 12
Referee: Octavio Meyran
Judge: Larry Rozadilla 82-88
Judge: Ken Morita 87-86
Judge: Masakazu Uchida 86-86

World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (Tyson defending)

World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (Tyson defending)

International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title (Tyson defending)

Time: -:--

Weights: Tyson 220.5 lbs, Douglas 231.5 lbs

Comment(s):
- Douglas entered the contest as a 42-1 underdog. Tyson, having recently fired long-time trainer, Kevin Rooney, was fighting his first fight with the new and relatively inexperienced, Aaron Snowell. With six seconds remaining in the 8th round, Tyson was able to floor Douglas with a right uppercut. Douglas was able to get to his feet at the count of nine and the round ended. In the 10th, Douglas dropped Tyson with a devastating five-punch combination. Referee Meyran reached the ten count, with a dazed Tyson, on his hands and knees, groping for his mouthpiece.
- After the fight, Tyson's promoter, Don King, attempted to have the result voided, claiming that the referee had given Douglas a "long count" when he was down in the 8th. He claimed that video replays showed Douglas was down for more than 10 seconds. The WBC initially appeared to be willing to agree with King, but later changed their mind after the IBF and WBA announced that they would recognize Douglas as the undisputed champion. It was later learned that several of the top U.S. boxing commissions and the British Boxing Board has threatened to withdraw from the WBC if they failed to recognize Douglas's victory.
- Named The Ring magazine Upset of the Year

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back