The Next Evolutionary Steps for Slots Gaming

Zabier

Dormant account
Since I started writing about slots a few years back I've seen the slow progression of slots development from titles that look like they'd be better suited to an N64 console to slots that genuinely take your breath away both visually and through their game play.

My question to you guys is this. We've seen different features and gimmicks introduced over the years. FreeFall symbols, Cascading Reels, Konxion Reels, 3D slots, HD slots, skill-based slots etc. Where do slots go from here? Smell-o-vision? MMO slots where players must work together to achieve wins? More interactive slots where players must act out a story along the way?

Have you guys thought of any ideas that you think would be awesome in a slot title?

I can envision a virtual reality slot that submerses you in a full 360 degree slot where the reels surround you and a pick em bonus round where you can actually reach out and grab items that surround you.......Although now that I think about it reel spinning around me like that would probably make me :puke:

But you get the idea.

I can envision a virtual reality slot that submerses you in a full 360 degree slot where the reels surround you and a pick em bonus round where you can actually reach out and grab items that surround you.......Although now that I think about it reel spinning around me like that would probably make me :puke:

But you get the idea.

I've got to be fair Googobucs, that does sound amazing! Hahaha. Like some sort of slots matrix!

The biggest thing I can see developing is the "level up" slot. The beginning of this have been around a few year with feature unlocks like in Immortal Romance and Monopoly Plus.

Rabcat tried with Castle Builder .... Innovative but failed with laudable design.

I for one frequently find I stop playing slots out of sheer boredom rather than lack of funds

If they could somehow extend that journey in RPG fashion, unlocking more and more unique features without adversely affecting RTP for newcomers I'd be on board :)

I don't play it any more but If you've heard of the Murder based Face Book game 'Criminal Case' where clues are collected using fingerprinting, lab analysis etc and a murder found from a list of suspects and clues.
Now if some thing along those lines could be combined into a slot with interaction and increasing rewards along the way (sure dead spins in between would make the project worth while to the provider) that would be amazing!

I don't play it any more but If you've heard of the Murder based Face Book game 'Criminal Case' where clues are collected using fingerprinting, lab analysis etc and a murder found from a list of suspects and clues.
Now if some thing along those lines could be combined into a slot with interaction and increasing rewards along the way (sure dead spins in between would make the project worth while to the provider) that would be amazing!

I believe my partner plays that one :)

Call me old fashined but I just think slots should remain the way they are, there is nothing fundamentally broken in their current format. Other media falls into the trap of adding bells and whistles to existing templates and calling it the reinvention of the wheel.

This is the one pastime I expect to sit back and let the game do the thinking for me, peppered by my infrequent interaction with the spin button and adjusting my bet size. Barring graphical updates here and there - which is fine and dandy - I would rather current slot designers focused more heavily on improving paytables rather than having an interactive, 3-D coming out of the screen wankfest that would irritate me more than anything else.

Slots are a passive form of recreation and should not be warped into an interactive video game:mad:

Call me old fashined but I just think slots should remain the way they are, there is nothing fundamentally broken in their current format. Other media falls into the trap of adding bells and whistles to existing templates and calling it the reinvention of the wheel.

This is the one pastime I expect to sit back and let the game do the thinking for me, peppered by my infrequent interaction with the spin button and adjusting my bet size. Barring graphical updates here and there - which is fine and dandy - I would rather current slot designers focused more heavily on improving paytables rather than having an interactive, 3-D coming out of the screen wankfest that would irritate me more than anything else.

Slots are a passive form of recreation and should not be warped into an interactive video game:mad:

I think that innovation could produce far more features without being skill based. I agree insofar as I wouldn't want a slot which required skill. I too just wish to chill. However unlockable features and levelling up wouldn't necessitate skill

For example I played Lucky Leprechaun at 32 Red last night. First time ever. Got the 500x pay out twice in just over 3000 spins. Nothing left to strive for so I'm done with it :)

I always thought 3d slots played through your TV would take off, but I guess they need to get the major manufacturers onboard with smart TV apps etc.

Obviously the graphics will continue to improve until it's all ultra hd or something :p

I would love to have slots done where you can actually change outcome depending on your picks in a feature. We have already seen proof that if you pick number 1-5 as example does not matter what you choose as already settled and will not matter what you pick. Even free spins feature or bonus feature outcome is already settled before this. I never noticed before but every single slot at Sky Vegas and Paddy Power you can have 2nd window open with your balance and check exactly what you win. This ruins the fun and excitement I think.

So yes if they could make slots somehow where feature picks are really true random and you could actually change outcome depending on your pick, then that would be great :thumbsup:

I would love to have slots done where you can actually change outcome depending on your picks in a feature. We have already seen proof that if you pick number 1-5 as example does not matter what you choose as already settled and will not matter what you pick. Even free spins feature or bonus feature outcome is already settled before this. I never noticed before but every single slot at Sky Vegas and Paddy Power you can have 2nd window open with your balance and check exactly what you win. This ruins the fun and excitement I think.

So yes if they could make slots somehow where feature picks are really true random and you could actually change outcome depending on your pick, then that would be great :thumbsup:

That reminds me of those books you could get where it says "turn to page 4 if you want to go East or turn to page 6 if you want to go West". Pre-set in a way still but at least you control the direction of your fate.

Totally agree with you on this one - I was on LeoVegas mobile the other day and played this game called Age of Sparta where you have to spin the reels with a swipe! Honestly, after about 3 minutes of game play I just got pissed off, not to mention the RSI I would have suffered if I'd carried on!

Give me a spin button and a high variance pay table any day of the week :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back