So, because I'm a soft touch

I've been feeding this stray cat (well, I'm always feeding stray cats and wildlife and whatnot lol) but I'm full up with my own pets, so best I can do is leave food out cold nights. He might have a home, I dunno, but if he does he's out overnights in the freezing cold cuz I put food out late night and it's gone early am - and no, it's not a coon lol, I've caught him snacking and he bolts.
But tonight is an awful -35 so I put out a cardboard box. But now, because I'm such a bloody soft touch, I'm googling heated cat houses (no, I've 0 skills to make my own) which I figure I'll keep out year round on the front deck where my own dogs don't go (and where I leave the food out) and plug it in on the gods-awful nights.

When I lived in quebec I saw loads of houses with right proper ones as cats there seem to be mostly outdoors and/or feral (that's how and where I got my current cat - found him a few days old stuck to the snow upside-down 3am mid winter, mewling and took him home).

Amazon seems to have several....125-400 range. I'm a poor bastard so thinking the cheapest model lol, but hey, beter than nothing, right? ;)

Anyone bought one, experience with one?

I've been feeding this stray cat (well, I'm always feeding stray cats and wildlife and whatnot lol) but I'm full up with my own pets, so best I can do is leave food out cold nights. He might have a home, I dunno, but if he does he's out overnights in the freezing cold cuz I put food out late night and it's gone early am - and no, it's not a coon lol, I've caught him snacking and he bolts.
But tonight is an awful -35 so I put out a cardboard box. But now, because I'm such a bloody soft touch, I'm googling heated cat houses (no, I've 0 skills to make my own) which I figure I'll keep out year round on the front deck where my own dogs don't go (and where I leave the food out) and plug it in on the gods-awful nights.

When I lived in quebec I saw loads of houses with right proper ones as cats there seem to be mostly outdoors and/or feral (that's how and where I got my current cat - found him a few days old stuck to the snow upside-down 3am mid winter, mewling and took him home).

Amazon seems to have several....125-400 range. I'm a poor bastard so thinking the cheapest model lol, but hey, beter than nothing, right? ;)

Anyone bought one, experience with one?
Its brutal right now eh? Ughhh. I have woods as my back yard and I have 3 stray cats that live there. I took 2 laundry baskets and put towels and small blankets inside, Tipped it on its side and put food in it. I dont know if the cats will get in, but I'm sure some animal will. I havent heard anything about the heated ones, but try what I did for the next couple of days until the weather breaks :(

When I lived further north there were loads of feral cats (basically, coyote snacks) - but I put food out (and fed foxes, birds, coons skunks lol) - though the cats at least could get under the deck to survive the worst nights.

Here is suburbia, they could find other spots I'm sure though I'd hate for the ones getting under/into cars and he seems to haunt here.
The cardboard box out there on the side with a flap up will do in a pinch for wind/snow cover but not the evil coldness.

I dont mind buying the cat house (if/when I've the money). I'd rather on a night this cold they have a little safe spot.

I worked for a vets office for 7 years when I was younger so a few things you should know is wherever you put the cats shelter, there needs to be an escape route. I think you live in the woods, the coyotes survive and prey on cats at this time of year. They are more aggressive and brave because they are more hungry and if they cant find any rabbits they have no problem scouting out cats.

If the cat is friendly with you and allowing you to touch it, it has been or is someones pet. If its very timid be weary because they may bite.

Most homeless cats usually live in a colony with other cats and have a home and huddle together to keep warm. But some dont. The shelter should be smaller as it will keep heat from its body from escaping where as a large shelter holds coldness and the heat disperses pretty quick.

If you have a cat hanging out around your house I would make sure you smack your hood and check your wheel wells before driving off because alot of them will sleep in those spaces.

You should look into a cat heating pad because they draw very little electricity and are quite safe. You could try this too as its only $15 and it reflects the cats heat back to itself.

Old URL

I worked for a vets office for 7 years when I was younger so a few things you should know is wherever you put the cats shelter, there needs to be an escape route. I think you live in the woods, the coyotes survive and prey on cats at this time of year. They are more aggressive and brave because they are more hungry and if they cant find any rabbits they have no problem scouting out cats.

If the cat is friendly with you and allowing you to touch it, it has been or is someones pet. If its very timid be weary because they may bite.

Most homeless cats usually live in a colony with other cats and have a home and huddle together to keep warm. But some dont. The shelter should be smaller as it will keep heat from its body from escaping where as a large shelter holds coldness and the heat disperses pretty quick.

If you have a cat hanging out around your house I would make sure you smack your hood and check your wheel wells before driving off because alot of them will sleep in those spaces.

You should look into a cat heating pad because they draw very little electricity and are quite safe. You could try this too as its only $15 and it reflects the cats heat back to itself.

Old URL
Good to know. I don't really have a problem with coyotes, even though I'm sure they are near. I'm 10 houses away from the river. There is a lot of fox though and yes the cats are feral. I remember when they were born last spring and they are still alive! :D

The ones I'm looking at are very basic with a heating pad and there's an outlet on the deck.
There's 2 escape hatches so it isnt confined.
Ive a feeling this guy is either homed and the owners dont keep it in nights (shame, this temp) or had owners and doesnt since hes always here the wee hrs when no peole or traffic. He got stuck one night in my garage I'd not realized hed gotten in and had closed it from inside and shocked me later lol - he bolted pretty fast.

There's some wildlife here but I'm very suburbia. Anything that might eat cats is out back - front side where he haunts there's too many lights and neighbourhood dogs..out back I've seen a deer and I've heard the odd coyote but we're fenced in on all sides. And too many dogs

Good to know. I don't really have a problem with coyotes, even though I'm sure they are near. I'm 10 houses away from the river. There is a lot of fox though and yes the cats are feral. I remember when they were born last spring and they are still alive! :D

We have them all over the place right now, many walking down the road at night time and through neighborhoods. But this has always been a place for coyotes and wolves, lots of farms around.

Funny thing is most foxes are scared of cats. They will chase them once and awhile but once a cat goes in defensive mode with its hair up etc the fox will retreat like a scaredy cat lol

probably had a good lunch too - I've seen a field mouse or 2 in there hiding from the cold :laugh:

Yep i bet that cat you have around is taking care of mice outside and the cats you have inside help. I remember my mom had a cat who loved to hunt mice and would bring them and drop them off in front of her bed or I think maybe even on it. So gross. We have been thinking of getting a cat our older one lives with my mom now and keeps her company but we have a mice issue around here. We caught 10 mice in 5 days a couple months ago. We live in a neighborhood but its one of the many small hamlets in Ontario. Population 400, Barrie is 20 mins away, Newmarket 30 mins away, that kind of thing. But our house has a nice front yard and back yard but then it meets with a forest and then a small little stream. Its quite rural which seems to be a magnet for mice no matter how clean or how nice your house is.

I really think mice are gross, I cant believe people have some as pets :eek2:

Cats are great survivors and don't feel the cold like we think they do. Sure, they'll by instinct find somewhere warm if they can, like car bonnets or drain covers. They are also crafty little buggers and very often are homed but will adopt a second home as a security net even if they don't need the food. They also are more active at night by instinct so there's a chance it could be in and out of a catflap in its owner's house and visiting you for an extra meal.

There was a really good documentary here a few years ago 'what does your cat get up to' where about 20 pet cats had a micro camera put on their collars. You'd be surprised that they tend to stick to a relatively small territory and follow the same routines each night, including two of them having a second home their owners weren't aware of!

Ya, there's a very fair chance he has a home - he isnt scrawny by any stretch..it's more the cold we get here if the poor bugger is locked out (ive a mountain dog, and even -40 is a pretty big stretch).
As you say, cats are crafty, i used to live deep in coyote country and mine survived being out a lot.
I'll still probably opt for it for the added benefit if mine get out (theyre indoor/outdoors but i bring them both in winters and sundown summers but they still get out time to time) and ive spent a fair few night awake til they strolled home - but itd be nice to know if they got stuck out they wouldnt freeze.

And like I said, im a soft touch lol - at least its a warm bed for one as needs it

Yes. As dun said. Crafty and cheeky they are.
Recently had a new addition to our backgarden area. The cat has sometimes been taking food from our cats plate, which requires busting through 2 cat flaps to reach and located in the kitchen. If I'd of known he intended to stay for so long this last time I'd of left a bottle of wine or something equally pleasant beside the food with a note insisting that he put his paws up for a bit and made himself at home. Before finally dropping that massive dump in the litter tray on his way out.

Love from one cat lover to another, you could always at worst use a large cardboard box with a plastic lid over the top an old blanket inside.
Also have a look online for free stuff like litter boxes they make excellent cat houses for strays.

I remember as a kid when one of our cats went on an unannounced 2-week adventure, seemed like an eternity of course at that age, then she came back with a mouth wound which means any number of scrapes.

Then another cat at another time similar thing, this time an abscess on her face, so probably more scrapes and shenanigans.

Whenever we see cats out and about now you pet a few, some are obviously left outside by their owners 99% of the time, others are feral, but either way this weather always makes me feel for them as no one wants to see them freeze in these conditions :laugh:

So definitely a great gesture by Dionysus, Lord have mercy in that weather......and kudos to those that dedicate their time feeding stray cats, helping them out etc :thumbsup:

That's pity, that puppy seems cuteness overload!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back