Senior citizens foil would-be poppy-money thief

lauram

Dormant account
Unreal the nerve of some people these days. This 84 year old man was counting poppy money as a man entered the building and tried to rob him at gun point. This man and 2 others in their 60's chased him down and took their money back. Way to go guys. Thought for the day don't mess with seniors.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Here in Canada the seniors join a legion. Each year the legion stands at plaza and different areas, with a box and poppies. They get a donation for the poppies and then we pin them on our coats.

thank you!!! I guess not enough coffee yet. :D

Yes, we do that here too. :)

We have a Legion right up the street, I used to go there quite often to play pool, great fun!

Wait, is your Legion that same as our Legion? Ours is a bar.

The bar is one of the most popular features at the Legion! The Royal Canadian Legion offers four tiers of membership.

The Poppy campaign is the legion's largest annual fund-raising campaign, and the Poppy Fund supports scholarships and other charitable donations.

Locally, the funds raised from Nevada (pull-tabs) support various charitable causes as well, and decision-making on these funds are local to each branch.

Lest We Forget.

There was a woman standing outside our local grocery store a few months back and asked if I had a child starting college. I said yes, and she told me about the scholarships, I was surprised, I never new about it. I donated what I had with me at the time, only a few dollars. If I had more I would have gave more, she said that all the money she collected would be split among teenagers starting college at our local bank in January 2010.

:thumbsup:

We have the same donations here in the USA during Memorial day. You get a poppy for your donation and can tie it on your clothes or purse, etc to show your support during this campaign. Each year around Memorial Day, Veterans of Foreign Wars members and American Legion Auxiliary volunteers distribute millions of bright red poppies in exchange for contributions to assist disabled and hospitalized veterans.
A brief history of the artificial poppy:

In the World War I battlefields of Belgium, poppies grew wild amid the ravaged landscape. How could such a pretty little flower grow wild while surrounded by death and destruction? The overturned soils of battle enabled the poppy seeds to be covered, thus allowing them to grow and to forever serve as a reminder of the bloodshed during that and future wars.

The poppy movement was inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields" written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae of the Canadian forces in 1915 before the United States entered World War I. Selling replicas of the original Flanders' poppy originated in some of the allied countries immediately after the Armistice.
In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
NOTE Partially Copied from here :

Unreal the nerve of some people these days. This 84 year old man was counting poppy money as a man entered the building and tried to rob him at gun point.]

Seriously...just how low can you go? If it wasn't for the people who fought for us that idiot wouldn't even be here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back