Sad Ending to Missing Girl Case

Pinababy69

RIP Lisa
This may only be of interest to those members here in Ontario, where I'm at....we may be the only ones who actually followed the case, I'm not sure. But Victoria Stafford (nicknamed Tori), eight years old, was abducted on April 8th from her school in Woodstock, Ontario. There was a somewhat grainy video of her voluntarily walking away from the school with a woman who couldn't be identified. I know that many, including myself, had hoped that maybe this was the one case where she would be found alive.

They haven't found her body as yet, but have charged one person with her murder, and another as an accomplice. She is the same age exactly as my own daughter, and I tell you I'll be hugging mine and saying an extra "I love you" tonight. Very sad.

Full story here:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

WOODSTOCK, Ont. Hopes that Victoria Stafford would be found safe and returned to her family were dashed Wednesday after a man was charged with the Grade 3 student's murder and a woman charged with being an accessory.

Michael Thomas Rafferty, 28, and Terri-Lynne McClintic, 18, were arraigned on those charges as well as abduction charges in a Woodstock, Ont., court.

Documents suggest the murder took place on or around April 8, the day the eight-year-old girl known as Tori went missing from outside her school.

I'm not a big supporter of the death penalty, but in cases involving the murder of children, once it has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt, I'm sure I could be swayed on the subject. My deepest sympathies are with the parents, family and friends. And if the accused are proven guilty, then I hope they rot and burn in hell for all eternity. God, this topic is so upsetting to me.

Reading things like this definitely make you hug your kids a little tighter. I am so not a vicious person but give me just a second alone with a person that has intentionally hurt a child and I can guarantee they won't be walking away to hurt anyone ever again. It is getting to where it is more and more frequent that we see these things. What is this world coming to?

Michelle

I am so sorry for this little angel. I can only shudder at the fear that little Tori felt being separated from her Mum. It breaks my heart. Sometimes lately I find myself crying when I read the news. My chest gets tight and I just sit and weep for a moment. Jonne says I need to stop reading so much of it. I am sure he is right. There is not much uplifiting in the papers or on the net.

The story below made me sob like a child. I called home and the Peanut soothed me but it is so hard to put stuff like this out of your head. Where are we heading? We are surrounded by evil. How can we find our way back? How can we keep people like the ones that are doing these things out? I am not a religious person but perhaps I should be. I crave a gentler existance.

Father Accused Of Eating Child's Eyes Out

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- "It was pretty bizarre," said neighbor Ramon Rodriguez.

Rodriguez was one of the first to discover 34-year-old Angelo Mendoza on April 28 after police said Mendoza bit an eyeball out of his 4-year-old son's face and ate it.

"The guy was crazy. Real bug-eyed; he had to be on drugs," said Rodriguez.

Court documents said neighbors checked on Mendoza's son, Angelo Jr., after they noticed the father acting nervously and fleeing from his east Bakersfield apartment in his wheelchair. Inside, they found little Angelo naked and bleeding. Police said the boy had numerous bites to his hands and his eyes were swollen shut. Doctors said the boy's left eye and muscle were completely missing. His other eye was mutilated beyond repair. The boy told them, "My daddy ate my eyes out." Rodriguez said meanwhile Mendoza approached him at a neighbor's vacant house down the street.
Rodriguez said the boy's father wheeled himself into the front yard and asked Rodriguez to play with him and a pet dog. He was wearing boxers and a sweater. When Rodriguez refused, Mendoza got off his wheelchair and dragged himself into a back yard, where he found an ax.

By then Mendoza had stripped naked. He chained himself to a tree in the back yard and began hacking at his leg with a pickax while yelling incoherently.

"He told me to look into the sun and pray with him. I was kinda scared for a minute," said Rodriguez.

Then Rodriguez jumped on Mendoza and wrestled the ax away.

"As soon as I grabbed the ax he tried to bite me, and I had to hold him down with my knee. There was dry blood around his mouth. I don't know if it was his own, but I'm pretty sure it was his son's now that I hear the story," said Rodriguez.

The police report said Mendoza appeared to be under the influence of PCP. Rodriguez said had he known about little Angelo, the outcome would have been different.

"I would've just let him cut his leg off. What happened to his son is not right. I would've left him alone," said Rodriguez.

Mendoza was arrested on charges of torture, aggravated mayhem, and cruelty to a child. The toddler is now in the custody of Child Protective Services. Mendoza is due in court May 20. His bail is set at $1 million.

20sdni0.jpg
Here is the little guy.

Link to article

I am so sorry for derailing your thread Pina. I just thought this little boy's story should also be told. Bless both of their hearts.

I am so sorry for this little angel. I can only shudder at the fear that little Tori felt being separated from her Mum. It breaks my heart. Sometimes lately I find myself crying when I read the news. My chest gets tight and I just sit and weep for a moment. Jonne says I need to stop reading so much of it. I am sure he is right. There is not much uplifiting in the papers or on the net.

The story below made me sob like a child. I called home and the Peanut soothed me but it is so hard to put stuff like this out of your head. Where are we heading? We are surrounded by evil. How can we find our way back? How can we keep people like the ones that are doing these things out? I am not a religious person but perhaps I should be. I crave a gentler existance.

I am so sorry for derailing your thread Pina. I just thought this little boy's story should also be told. Bless both of their hearts.

No need to apologize Cynthia...it's all related, and all so very sad AND disheartening. Like you, I seldom watch the news anymore. My ex will come over and say "did you hear about......." and my reply is usually "no". I will go online every few days and "skim", just to try and keep current. But honestly, I'm like you, I find it all depressing.

I'm not overly religious either, but I do believe. And I think anyone who doesn't believe in the existence of evil, is living with blinders on. I've also come to believe that this life is nothing more than a test. I'm sorry to say that I think many people fail miserably, and will pay for that later on. Won't go any further, just wanted you to know that you're not alone in your feelings...not by a long shot. Can man redeem himself, and our society? Sure doesn't seem likely the way things are going....but then again, I believe in miracles too.

A related antecdote, that I wasn't planning on sharing...but I think I will. Monday was a holiday here, Victoria Day. My daughter's dad came and picked her up to go and watch some fireworks at the park near his home. As I always do, I told him to make sure he doesn't take his eyes off of her....I know he tends to get talking to people, and distracted.

So when he drops her off, he tells me that she was playing on the swings, and he took his eyes off of her for maybe half a minute to a minute tops. When he looked back, she was halfway across the park heading towards the exit with a little girl she used to play with from the area....and her father and brother. He said he took off running and screaming and she stopped dead in her tracks. I'm guessing he told her to get her butt back over where he was...which she did. I don't know exactly what he said to her after that, but she was not too happy when she got home, which is okay by me. Apparently, this little girl had told mine that she could come and play at her house and that's where they were headed!!! WTF???

The girl and her dad and brother left the park after that, with no word of an explanation, or apology or anything. My ex asked around if anyone knew who these people were, and many recognized him from the neighbourhood, but didn't really know him....except to say that he was a single father, no mother around.

You know, it's possible it was completely innocent, but why in God's name would another parent even think it was remotely acceptable to stroll out of a park with another person's child, without asking the other parent for permission? And besides, these people were basically strangers....and the fireworks were about to start...why would you leave just as the main attraction is starting?

Needless to say, it has put the fear of God into my little one's dad, and I think he will be extra vigilant from now on. I also think, that knowing my ex, it's maybe a good thing this other dad left when he did.

There's a moral to this story. I have done nothing but think about this since Monday, I have talked to my daughter I don't know how many times, asking her what in the name of God she was doing? And then when I read this story today, it brought it all back again. How quickly it can happen.

I have taught my daughter from the time she was old enough to communicate, about strangers, and being safe....and I've done my very best to street proof her. And trust me, I haven't done it with candies and hearts, I've been brutally honest with her about what can happen. If it scares her, all the better. In addition, she's a fairly shy child, who doesn't "take" to people easily. Yet, here she was ready to just take off with some stranger, without even telling her dad. So the moral is.....it doesn't matter how "smart" you think your kid is, and how good a job you've done....these things happen in seconds. And they can happen to ANYONE's child. Please keep that in mind, be extra vigilant, and don't ever take anything for granted. I still walk mine to school everyday, and pick her up every afternoon....I'm there like clockwork, before the bell rings. And after the episode the other night, I just may continue to do that well into her teens....whether she likes it or not.

I'm with you Cynthia, bless both of those little kids...and that story is just beyond comprehension to me. I simply can't understand how anyone could do such a horrible thing...drugs or not.

This world has many good things and, unfortunately, many bad things. It has always been this way. The only reason it seems worse is the media coverage of things has become so high tech that we are bombarded with bad news. Good news doesn't sell, so we become warped, thinking there are only horrible things going on.

These stories are heart breaking, it makes me want to cry and rant and rave, but I know it would do no good. The good people in the world need to be ever vigilant to help control the bad element in all our societies. Parents and siblings, and all other people involved in the raising of our children (teachers, etc.), need to help us parents school our children to be vigilant, without terrifying them and making them so scared they can not function.

It is a very scary and strange world we are in now, I am thankful my kids are grown up, although I still have worries about the grand daughters I have.

It shouldn't be this way, but, how do we, collectively, make things better?

Wish I had the answer Jod, but I don't. :oops:

Only thing I can say is that we need to look out for each other, and not just ourselves. Same as I preach on here re: online gaming....real life issues are no different. Get involved, don't just walk away when you see an injustice being done, speak up. I'd rather stick my nose in where it doesn't belong if I thought I saw a child being taken, and run the risk of being wrong (and being embarrassed)...than to find out later I was right there when it happened and did nothing because I thought it wasn't my business. Just one example, but you know what I mean.

I think that's part of the reason that the world we live in seems to be in such a mess to begin with. Too much thinking of what's best for me....not enough of what's best for everyone. And I'm no saint or martyr, trust me. I can be just as selfish as the next person at times, so in no way do I exclude myself. But I also know that I will involve myself in certain issues, especially if it's something I care about. Kids is one of them.

Beyond that, no answers at all. I only hope the next generation does it better than the last couple have.

Pina,
Thank God your daughter is okay. It is true no matter what you teach them (I am also brutally honest with mine) somehow, someway, someone can manage to sway them. I also agree we need to look out for one another.

Michelle

Cynthia,
I read that story last night and my reaction was the same as yours. These kids trust their parents so completely. I don't know how someone could betray that. I also quit watching the news mostly. I hated the depression it threw me into. God bless all these children.

Michelle

Three days in now, and they still haven't found this poor little girl's remains. Her father has said that he can never accept that she is gone, until they do, and until he sees her. For the parent's sake, I hope that comes soon. I don't think you ever heal from something like this. They say the pain lessens as more time passes, but that sounds very much like something that people say to try and help you cope. I'm not sure if I would even want to carry on living, in that much pain. In the article below, Rosie DiManno from the Star mentions that very thing...and how having other kids perhaps can help you to keep going. I see her point.

Anyway, I thought it was a well-written, thought provoking article. She raises such a valid point, when she mentions how women can gain the trust, and exploit the innocence of these children so easily. Please make sure and tell your kids that evil comes in all shapes, sizes, colours and genders. And the law/justice system needs to start being just as tough on them, as they are on the male predators as well. No excuses.

Rosie DiManno
The Toronto Star
May 22, 2009

The roll-call of stolen children: Emanuel Jaques, Sharin Morningstar Keenan, Christine Jessop, Nicole Morin, Alison Parrott, Andrea Atkinson, Kayla Klaudusz, Cecilia Zhang, Holly Jones.

Victoria Stafford.

And those were just the kids aged 12 and younger, taken in and around Toronto, that I can recite from memory.

Snatched off the street, from a backyard, a front yard, on the way home from school, from a friend's house, even from their own bedrooms, sometimes randomly, sometimes specifically stalked, always at a moment of opportunity and life is full of those.

Experts in the field of violence remind that, like adult women, children are more commonly threatened and done harm by those closest to them parents and relatives, close family acquaintances, the youngsters fearful of exposing their tormentors because they love those who hurt them, are vulnerable to the threats that silence.

But the fact remains, even in this era of well-street-proofed children, they are still kids. They are likely to go trustingly with someone they know even slightly. And they're little, easy to overwhelm by force or cajoling, their innocence used against them.

It is a sad reality that there are many parents who can both deeply empathize with Tara McDonald and Rodney Stafford, and maybe offer some hard-learned wisdom on how to proceed from here, keep wanting to live in a world without their child, knowing what they know and what they don't, can only imagine in the darkest of reflections. Having other children who still need their mom and dad however altered those parents might be by tragedy is the most spine-stiffening force for enduring the unendurable.

There is another child here, glimpsed occasionally these past six weeks playing alone in the driveway, pulling wheelies on his bike, steadfastly ignoring the constant lurking of reporters.

Eleven-year-old Daryn Stafford is the one who often walked his sister home from school, as he would probably have done on that fateful day, April 8, except that he'd accompanied another youngster, an autistic child, back to the boy's townhouse, as requested by the boy's father.

Within all the information that has become public since a Woodstock couple was charged and arrested Tuesday in the murder of Tori Stafford the 8-year-old not yet located despite an immense concentration of search efforts in two areas near Guelph one obscure detail emerges as most strange and haunting: The revelation that Daryn had sensed something suspect about one of the accused, Terri-Lynne McClintic.

Tori's dad, Rodney Stafford, told the Star's Raveena Aulakh on Wednesday that Daryn had earlier mentioned the name Terri-Lynne and "that address'' the house on Wilson St. where McClintic resided with her mother.

"Daryn was telling me something about hair-dye and a (white) coat. He knew about hair-dye and the girl possibly cutting her hair, dyeing her hair. I don't know how he got that information but it came from my son and it was rather disturbing."

McClintic chopped off her long hair just after police released a surveillance videotape of Tori walking away with a mystery woman in a puffy white coat. A neighbour told the Star McClintic had planned to dye her hair but apparently never got the chance, before she was taken into custody by police a month ago for breach of a probation order. McClintic's mother had also told neighbours that the 18-year-old had got rid of that distinctive coat, ditching it in London, Ont.

McClintic is now assisting police in their search for Tori's remains. But there will surely be no deal-cutting, not this time, the greater likelihood that the female accused will imminently have charges against her elevated to first-degree murder from abduction and accessory to murder, allegedly having helped boyfriend Michael Thomas Rafferty elude police "on or about'' the day Tori vanished.

"It's still early stages but right now she is cooperating fully with police, telling investigators what she knows," McClintic's newly secured lawyer said yesterday.

For a country that still remembers the notorious "deal with the devil" struck by Karla Homolka the sweetheart accommodation that shielded the schoolgirl killer from aggressive prosecution in the deaths of Kristen French, Leslie Mahaffy and her own sister Tammy, in return for testifying against Paul Bernardo any similar arrangement concocted by officials within the Ministry of the Attorney General would be intolerable.

There are echoes in Tori's abduction mostly from what's been uncovered by reporters thus far of Homolka's procuring of sex victims for her fianc/husband, including another teenager who was Homolka's friend, coveted by Bernardo.

It is allegedly McClintic who took Tori, the child apparently killed within hours of her disappearance. It is, police have suggested, McClintic who knew Tara McDonald, if only peripherally.

There's no confirmation yet that Tori was sexually assaulted but that is most assuredly the subtext, what everyone is thinking. That's why children are usually taken, and murdered afterwards as if that puts an end to it, for the assailant.

What's incomprehensible, if true, the combination so rare in the annals of crime, is how anybody could serve up a child for a man's perverse longing; be complicit before or after the fact in the most vile intentions. Yet it happens, if more often within dreadful family dynamics, women betraying their own blood to please a man, hang on to a man.

Yet Homolka had her defenders, who saw in that wretch a woman abused into predatory criminality. Even a couple of Bernardo's jurors would later give Homolka a you-go-girl pat on the back. It is misplaced compassion.

From what we know, McClintic has had a crummy life, reared in a home drenched in drugs, severed from adoptive father at an early age, raised by a former-stripper mom. Perhaps she was always doomed to a troubled adulthood, the consequence of decisions made by others.

That might be an explanation. It is never an excuse.

Nothing could temper what is feared to have befallen Tori.

This world has many good things and, unfortunately, many bad things. It has always been this way. The only reason it seems worse is the media coverage of things has become so high tech that we are bombarded with bad news. Good news doesn't sell, so we become warped, thinking there are only horrible things going on.

These stories are heart breaking, it makes me want to cry and rant and rave, but I know it would do no good. The good people in the world need to be ever vigilant to help control the bad element in all our societies. Parents and siblings, and all other people involved in the raising of our children (teachers, etc.), need to help us parents school our children to be vigilant, without terrifying them and making them so scared they can not function.

It is a very scary and strange world we are in now, I am thankful my kids are grown up, although I still have worries about the grand daughters I have.

One way is have no fear of doing your civic duty. I'm not going to derail and Cindy aka JAS has some articles,etc. on what may always be NV's most notorious criminal and/or case. Although not exactly the same, innocent young children were very involved.

It took 10 years and in the end I would only testify in the least important of the 3 different trials. As the initial trial and the only one of the 3 trials, all the legal scholars said could not be won. WRONG,GUILTY BY A JURY THAT RETURNED A VERDICT IN 50 MINUTES>>>>> No gambling high will ever exceed the satisfaction I felt in voluntarily contacting law enforcement 10 years prior yet there will always be a melancholy. No explaination needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back