Social media and the news.

chayton

aka LooHoo
webmeister
PABnonaccred
CAG
I've recently been noticing a *trend on the news. If something happens, say a guy goes batshit and kills people, the media all says, "His facebook status says...." If some celebrity or politician does something, they say, "He tweeted this morning..." and if someone sees something crazy, they say, "This youtube video shows..."

It seems really odd to me that the media is getting their information online.

Not only that, I was reading
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
that some guy went for a job interview, and the interviewer asked him for his facebook account. Because he had it set to private, the interviewer said that she needed his username and password. The article said that more and more companies are starting to do that - checking into your facebook account to see what kind of life you lead. Also that more and more companies are asking prospective employees to sign 'non-disparagement' agreements before they'll hire you, so you can't complain about work or your boss or your coworkers on facebook.

I personally don't have anything 'off' on my Facebook account, but I will close my account before handing over my info to any employer, and I'll close it if I decide to go nuts and get on the news too. The reporters will have to find info on me the old fashioned way.

(BTW since when is 'trending' a word? That just pisses me off.)

It seems really strange that employers would have the audacity to ask to see potential employee's 'private' facebook account, how did they manage before Facebook?:eek::confused:

It seems really strange that employers would have the audacity to ask to see potential employee's 'private' facebook account, how did they manage before Facebook?:eek::confused:

I suppose it wasn't that easy for us to spread a bad rumour about the company we worked for earlier.
When I think about what is posted on Youtube and Facebook these days I can understand companies that wants to protects themself.
I wouldn't give out any information about my Facebookaccount either, but I do understand why they would ask me for it.

I`m glad you notice things like this hun ;), when I finally get around to doing it I will be creating a thread in the political rants sections regarding governments and their respective spoon-fed bullcrap they feed the people of their nations and more importantly - the rest of the world in general, this for me, began around the time this guy started to amass the cash needed to herald the beginning of his family`s rise of their political dynasty
(which has led to no less than two wars based on false flag events and media manipulation to garner the public`s interest, and in doing so - inciting the tax paying people`s anger emotions into filling the coffers of the well oiled war machine, profit for so few, death to so many).

Footnote:- You have more of a chance of getting hit by lightening, than dying from a *Terrorist attack*, just waiting for this to happen and one of the Bush boys to declare war on God :rolleyes:, hell, if there was profit in it, they would declare war on peace.

There will be relevance to facebook and big brother is watching you hence my little rant lol, a few years ago Bush`s pocket puppet and partner in crime - Tony Blair, started promoting an access to the internet for poorer people campaign......

Tony Blair has said, "There is no new economy. There is one economy, all of it being transformed by information technology. ... In that regard, we can offer facilities for young people who don't have computers or internet access at home.
... who want to improve their knowledge of computers and the internet, we can provide a ...

Imagine a site that holds millions of people`s profiles that hot wires straight to a central computer overlooked by agents from several alphabet agencies, even more sinister, imagine every PC in the world hiding an undetectable keylogger, so everything you have ever typed, is recorded :eek2:.

Big Brother is watching you :eek2:.

Well its the easiest way of finding out what someone is talking about at the time something happened. It is also a way for celebrities to fulfil their narcissism by tweeting pictures of themselves to their loyal fans. The worst abusers of this are the Kardashians, Katy Perry and those plonkers from Jersey Shore :mad:

The other thing that annoys me about this kind of thing is that whenever someone does something terrible (to others or themselves) the news always points out that none of that persons friends did anything about it, despite there being 'clear warning signs' on their facebook account. Based on my friends statuses they should all be in the loony bin by now. :lolup:

And what happens if you say you don't have a facebook account?! :p

The other thing that annoys me about this kind of thing is that whenever someone does something terrible (to others or themselves) the news always points out that none of that persons friends did anything about it, despite there being 'clear warning signs' on their facebook account. Based on my friends statuses they should all be in the loony bin by now. :lolup:

Straight to the loony bin! As those (of us) who don't have Facebook or Twitspace must have something sinister to hide. :cool:

Well, I would be guilty of having to say just this. I do not believe in putting any personal info "out there" regardless of what social media it is whether it be facebook, twitter, tweeter or sum such. I am from the old school that likes to call people on the home phone (texting is an art form in itself that I really have an issue with and is another story) or meet them face to face. Why has it become so bad where one feels they need to tell the world their EVERY movement to be validated as a person? I mean...we didn't die because we actually had to DIAL a rotary phone back in my day...you know? Or we waited till we got home to talk with our partners and children in the PRIVACY of our own home.

What in the world could be so important that you would threaten your own life and others while driving to answer a beep on the phone saying "you got a text messege". Or be so rude in public where three blocks of strangers can here you talking to the other end ...I get really angry over the rudeness in grocery stores the most....Why can't one be polite enough to wait until they get outside to answer the darn thing??? OMG...sorry for the rant...I am so OVER todays mass of humans that think they are the only ones in the world that matter......and the absolute RUDENESS of people in public places.

/end of rant...sorry again...

Sources say the alleged killer updated the Facebook pictures of his dog two days prior to the attack and planned to have a BBQ the following weekend. The victim tweeted mere hours before she was murdered that there was a sale at Payless Shoes and proclaimed her "love" for tater tots.

Authorities are not yet saying if any of these posts are related to the attack.

That's what bothers me about Facebook, etc. All of my online life I try NOT to put personal info 'out there'. I don't have one, nor do I have Twitter, as I really don't care if the pitcher for the Braves shaved this morning or if my neighbor washed her car..... I have too much of my own shit to worry about. :D

I must honestly admit that I have never had a Facebook account myself. I have used Facebook in relation to my work in the past, but I personally find Facebook uninteresting. It only creates unnecessary needs for the users in my humble opinion.

But I think Facebook is a good way for companies/public sectors to for example reach customers/potential customers and users.

Most people today are probably assuming that "everybody" is on Facebook. So I would probably be called a liar and kicked out of the interview if I told them that I do not have a Facebook account :p

Stupid Facebook :D

My facebook account doesn't have much personal info either. Some bad jokes, a couple of haikus, a movie I watched, a picture I drew. Nothing that I'm ashamed of or that 'Big Brother' would come down on me for.

The point I was making is that this isn't Big Brother - the point was that any bozo who has a job posting can legally ask for your login info - that just doesn't sit well with me.

My facebook account doesn't have much personal info either. Some bad jokes, a couple of haikus, a movie I watched, a picture I drew. Nothing that I'm ashamed of or that 'Big Brother' would come down on me for.

The point I was making is that this isn't Big Brother - the point was that any bozo who has a job posting can legally ask for your login info - that just doesn't sit well with me.

It wouldn't with me either if I had an account. I think with it being so public and "out there" that many employers feel they have a right to ask since it is all public knowledge in their minds.

I think just for chits and giggles, if I were asked that question, for my login, I would probably say you first, I would like your banking login..then you can have my login....(I would give them my game site login to be fair!)

The employers asking for your password is ridiculous. It's against the Facebook terms of service to disclose your password to a third party. If you're stupid enough to leak your information out public, then by all means the employer has all the rights in the world to use it. But if you've set it to private, no. It's not much different than wanting uninhibited access to your email account. This really isn't so much "big brother" as it is control freak employers.

Honestly, it's pretty dumb anyway. How does how one posts on Facebook or how they lead their personal lives an indicator of how well they'll perform a job?

The employers asking for your password is ridiculous. It's against the Facebook terms of service to disclose your password to a third party. If you're stupid enough to leak your information out public, then by all means the employer has all the rights in the world to use it. But if you've set it to private, no. It's not much different than wanting uninhibited access to your email account. This really isn't so much "big brother" as it is control freak employers.

Honestly, it's pretty dumb anyway. How does how one posts on Facebook or how they lead their personal lives an indicator of how well they'll perform a job?

I think it has more to do with keeping a watch on when you are on facebook. One of my co workers at another location was fired last month because it was shown she was on face baook more than she was working (all day on facebook posting).

I must honestly admit that I have never had a Facebook account myself. I have used Facebook in relation to my work in the past, but I personally find Facebook uninteresting. It only creates unnecessary needs for the users in my humble opinion.

But I think Facebook is a good way for companies/public sectors to for example reach customers/potential customers and users.

Most people today are probably assuming that "everybody" is on Facebook. So I would probably be called a liar and kicked out of the interview if I told them that I do not have a Facebook account :p

Stupid Facebook :D

This pretty much describes my own attitude to Facebook. There are many people using it that disclose an astonishing amount of information about themselves, their opinions and attitudes, and their lives (which may be another reason why control freak potential employers are interested in getting access)

Asking anyone to open a private FB account to monitoring is imo an invasion of personal privacy - I would refuse to comply if I had an account, as it tells you somethng about the kind of people you might be working for.

Just create a Facebook page describing how much you love your job and your boss and then spend all day on twitter.

You're right, it's quite an invasion of privacy to ask log in detail for a prospective employee's facebook... or email... or anything else that is private and password protected. We all get emails all the time wanting us to enter our log in details... It's called Phishing. LOL If employers are worried about employees spending so much time on facebook, etc., couldn't they easily block the website from being accessed from company computers? Won't prevent access from employees Iphone, though. LOL

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but the world is gradually becoming a strange and alien place to me.

Interesting thread :)

I know a couple that argue a lot, break up, then kiss & make up, and then break up again - standard story one might say..

On facebook you have to decide what is your relationship status (open, devoted, complicated etc - btw. no polygamy for Muslims which I find discriminating in a way). Once they broke up not only in real life (happened many times) but also on facebook - it became a social fact.

23 people liked it. Over 100 commented. I told them - now you've done it - you really went both single. Unfortunately nowaydays what you say on facebook counts more than anything else.

Same I guess with all those serial killers, celebrities etc... and about the couple ...in the end they were still together but only in real life. On facebook they both remained single after the split

There are many people using it that disclose an astonishing amount of information about themselves, their opinions and attitudes, and their lives (which may be another reason why control freak potential employers are interested in getting access)

I don't understand this type of idiot:

One day after robbing a Key Bank in Tualatin, the man dubbed the Where's Waldo Bandit posted a surveillance photo of himself on Facebook and tapped in a comment: "im now a bank robber."

Oddly enough, my wife and I were in front of this bank traveling to a hospital when this occurred! :eek:

One of my wife's friends has a daughter who posts everything on her FB page. She had an auto accident insurance claim and was going to a chiropractor 3 times a week for pain. Problem was, she was working as a stripper and stating, "gotta go to the gym today and do my crunches. Gotta make my money." Guess what? The insurance company found her page and denied her any future medical coverage. She's lucky they didn't go after her for fraud.

Which is as it should be. Many, if not most, password protected sites have it in their T&C that users agree NOT to give their passwords to others. Sheesh....

I've recently been noticing a *trend on the news. If something happens, say a guy goes batshit and kills people, the media all says, "His facebook status says...." If some celebrity or politician does something, they say, "He tweeted this morning..." and if someone sees something crazy, they say, "This youtube video shows..."

It seems really odd to me that the media is getting their information online.

Not only that, I was reading
that some guy went for a job interview, and the interviewer asked him for his facebook account. Because he had it set to private, the interviewer said that she needed his username and password. The article said that more and more companies are starting to do that - checking into your facebook account to see what kind of life you lead. Also that more and more companies are asking prospective employees to sign 'non-disparagement' agreements before they'll hire you, so you can't complain about work or your boss or your coworkers on facebook.

I personally don't have anything 'off' on my Facebook account, but I will close my account before handing over my info to any employer, and I'll close it if I decide to go nuts and get on the news too. The reporters will have to find info on me the old fashioned way.

(BTW since when is 'trending' a word? That just pisses me off.)

Wow! No way in hell, would I give out my Facebook details to a prospective employee, I would tell them to keep their job:mad: What a total invasion of privacy:eek2:

It is a social media. I only have my friends and family on my account and yes I do blather out abit of private stuff, but as mentioned - only have friends and family. :cool: I find its a great way to keep track of my children and what they're up too:p Which reminds me of something I come across:lolup:

my son left his faceboook account.jpg

And by the way, that wasnt me that posted that, I would never go into my kids accounts.. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back